PDA

View Full Version : Vests... Confused.

eventinghank
Jun. 21, 2011, 10:08 AM
So, I've been trying to decide which vest I should purchase for XC. I'm torn between the Charles Owen UltraLite or the classic Tipperary vest everyone seems to have. I'm going to be starting USEA rec. next year so I want to get something approved, but I heard that the Tipperary one is no longer ASTM approved... Does that mean I am not allowed to wear a Tipperary to any USEA events?

In the USEA rulebook it says the Federation "recommends" that the vest pass the ASTM standards, but does it really have to?

please help! thanks! :)

Heinz 57
Jun. 21, 2011, 11:45 AM
Approved is not required. Tipps are fine - many people still wear them, including me. IIRC, Tipps aren't approved because the small pieces with spaces between don't protect from puncture-type injuries (so don't fall on a pointy stick). Don't quote me on that, though.

Which reminds me, I need to wash the mud off the back of mine for our show this weekend! :lol:

hollynanne
Jun. 21, 2011, 12:00 PM
Our working student just ordered a CO yesterday. The cool thing about the COs is that you can order different sizes for the front and back. She is a small adult in the front, but a large child's in the back. It's supposed to help with the customization, which is pretty cool.

I personally love the Tipps. I like the laces on the sides to help with the fitting. If I am having a "bloaty" day, just loosen the laces a bit.

I'd go to a big tack store or try a few of your friends' vests to see what you like. Everyone is different, so try a few.

The only ones I don't like are the Intec old-type ones (the ones that are a solid color with the belt thing- think CO knockoff). They are too thick for my tastes, I feel like I can't move in them.

Look on eBay. You can get screamin deals on there sometimes. I got hubby's Tipperary on eBay for less than $150, which was awesome considering he needed an XL/XT and you have to go custom for that. Stinkin' riding husbands! ;)

purplnurpl
Jun. 21, 2011, 12:49 PM
If they fit, I highly recommend the Airowear.
The Outlyne is a good one for women--the original version for men.

It has velcro on the sides that you tighten once it's zipped, and then loosen to take it off.
It is by far my favorite vest.

The Tipp is becoming old news and I would not be suprised if the rules change in the future to make them illegal. I have a tipp too that i use when I think I might have a naughty horse under me. It's really unprotective as compared to the others though...

I have the Rodney Powell which I like VERY much and I use my Airowear (which is just slightly short on the back side) for jumper shows.

The Rodney Powell is fully custom...the Airowear has a sizing chart.

Get the Airowears from Amira Equi.
http://www.amirashop.co.uk/

Janet
Jun. 21, 2011, 01:40 PM
So, I've been trying to decide which vest I should purchase for XC. I'm torn between the Charles Owen UltraLite or the classic Tipperary vest everyone seems to have. I'm going to be starting USEA rec. next year so I want to get something approved, but I heard that the Tipperary one is no longer ASTM approved... Does that mean I am not allowed to wear a Tipperary to any USEA events?

In the USEA rulebook it says the Federation "recommends" that the vest pass the ASTM standards, but does it really have to?

please help! thanks! :)
The Tip is not "no longer approved". It has NEVER been approved.

But there is no requirement for an approved vest.