PDA

View Full Version : Best Place(s) to go Dressage Clothing Shopping- Philly/S. Jersey Area

vxf111
Jun. 21, 2011, 09:32 AM
Crossover from hunters, but I need to help a friend outfit herself from dressage. What are the best tack shops in the greater Philadelphia/South Jersey area? I know in Chester County there's Rick's, Equine Exchange, Malvern, and Bit of Britain. I don't feel like Rick's has a whole lot of dressage stuff, consignment is a little hit-or-miss, Malvern is more than she's looking to spend... so BOB might be the best bet?

And then in South Jersey there's Rick's, KC's, and Toll Booth. Again, not sure what the dressage clothing selection is going to be like there. KC's has some, I guess.

There's also always Dover Delaware. They don't have a HUGE dressage selection in the store, but they have some apparel.

I dunno... are there great dressage shopping destinations in the area that I am overlooking?

Horseman's Outlet is the mecca, but I don't know that I am in the mood to drive that far.

lovey1121
Jun. 21, 2011, 05:31 PM
If you head to the north-west part of the state, you'll find fine tack shops in the best horse country NJ has to offer, and its worth even an overnight.

Coach Stop Saddlery on Lamington Rd. in Bedminster---super-nice and helpfull people! And its in hunt country, just off 287, 15 min. from the hallowed grounds of the old USET at Gladstone.

Then you can head to Beval Saddlery in Gladstone (gorgeous everything sport-horse-related store--a MUST!!! no matter how you ride!)

Have lunch at the Gladstone Tavern, (cool horsey atmosphere, has a website), then visit the old USET HQ, aka Mecca. Hang a left when leaving and take your 1st left-you can meander along gravel roads that line the old USET estate, where you'll see the most gorgeous envy-producing horse farms--you may encounter a coach-and-four on a workout, and if you meander far enough at the right time of year, you may even see the local hunt!

I think EuroAmerican Saddlery is in Flemington, but haven't hit it.

Best of luck! its one of the best parts of NJ.

WOOPS--just noticed you mentioned Lebanon and HO, so you probably know about everything I wrote about...I apologize for waxing rhapsodic, but I've such great memories of the area!! But if you do hit HO, grab a grilled cheese samwich at the Oldwick Gen"l Store for me---yumm...

vxf111
Jun. 21, 2011, 05:53 PM
I have done the sojurn you mention lovey-- and even ate at the Gladstone Tavern! Super super fun day... just perhaps a bit further and more driving than I can squeeze in this weekend.

Jeito
Jun. 22, 2011, 07:08 AM
EuroAmerican moved fron New Jersey years ago. North/Central Jersey and the other tack shops mentioned are very nice, but if you want closer and less pricey alternatives Bit of Britain and Dover in Hockessin are very close to each other and always have what I need. Personally, that's where I would go, and there are some nice places to eat in Hockessin.

Creaghgal
Jun. 22, 2011, 07:37 AM
Lunch at the Back Burner is a must when I go to Dover :yes:

Nothing more to add to the actual topic - sorry!!

Calling Duck
Jun. 22, 2011, 08:13 AM
Wait, wait, this is great info! When we make the trek to Dover, we end up eating gacky pizza at a grim little place only because we have no idea where else to go. Takes the fun out of the adventure. Burp.

Where is the Back Burner, and where else might we go in Hockessin?

Thanks!

Calling Duck
Jun. 22, 2011, 08:19 AM
Whoops, scratch the Back Burner. I just looked at their website. By the time we get out of Dover, we've spent all of our money. Where might we go in bee-you-tee-ful Hockessin that is budget friendly, but not just a slice of pizza and a cup of watered down Pepsi?

vxf111
Jun. 22, 2011, 08:29 AM
Whoa whoa, there is GOOD FOOD near Dover Delaware??

Jeito
Jun. 22, 2011, 09:01 AM
I've never eaten in Dover, Delaware. The Dover store is in Hockessin :winkgrin:

I ate that yucky pizza once. There are lots of nice places in Hockessin. Lunch prices are reasonable. Back Burner has salads for $6 or $7, and entrees start at around $10. If you think that's expensive, you should work in Center City, Philly. I typically spend $8-10 for lunch I eat at my desk.

vxf111
Jun. 22, 2011, 09:12 AM
Isn't Hockessin in Delaware? :)

There's only one Dover in Delaware, right?

Jeito
Jun. 22, 2011, 09:22 AM
The Dover store is in Delaware but, it you ask a non-horsey person about restaurants near Dover, they'll assume you mean the city and not the store :D But, to answer your question, I like the restaurants near the Dover store in Delaware. And I love the layout and staff at the store. I hope your friend finds what she needs.

InstigatorKate
Jun. 22, 2011, 02:04 PM
If you like mexican food, there's 2 or 3 places about 2 miles north of the store along Rt 41 that always looks pretty good, although I can't vouch personally. If you head back south towards 95 and turn right onto kirkwood hwy/Rt 2, there's a Panera, a buffalo wild wings, a charcoal pit (burgers and old-fashioned milk shakes), and a good but run-of-the-mill diner within about 2 miles.

Calling Duck
Jun. 22, 2011, 03:32 PM
Charcoal Pit. OMG. Now THAT brings back memories.

vxf111
Jun. 22, 2011, 03:38 PM
If you like mexican food, there's 2 or 3 places about 2 miles north of the store along Rt 41 that always looks pretty good, although I can't vouch personally. If you head back south towards 95 and turn right onto kirkwood hwy/Rt 2, there's a Panera, a buffalo wild wings, a charcoal pit (burgers and old-fashioned milk shakes), and a good but run-of-the-mill diner within about 2 miles.

There's also a place called 'Stoney's' that I always mean to try because that's how I spell my horse's name.