PDA

View Full Version : Does this fit me?

TheBrightSide06
Jun. 20, 2011, 10:03 PM
Got my answers, thanks!
:)

EventingMEF
Jun. 20, 2011, 10:50 PM
It looks like you and I are about the same size, with about the same size saddle! Recently my trainer has been telling me that the saddle is getting a bit too small, and if I get a new one it should be an inch bigger

HOWEVERRR

I feel great in the saddle. My sitting trot looks great in it and I feel very comfortable... So I would say if it fits the horse and you feel good in it then go for it!

JWB
Jun. 20, 2011, 10:54 PM
It looks like it might be a little on the small side, but if you're comfortable in it, it doesn't matter what it "looks" like. You're the one who has to ride in it.

TheBrightSide06
Jun. 20, 2011, 11:37 PM
Ok, great! I didn't know if I would HAVE to move up a seat size because it looked small.
Thank you guys so much!!

LexInVA
Jun. 21, 2011, 01:00 AM
My sister recently gave me her old aquarium. However, she is missing the power cord. I looked up the aquarium online, and from the pictures I believe it is a Tetra Water Wonders 1.5 Gallon Aquarium Kit. The power cord plug in shape looks a bit rectangular (if that helps). I tried looking online, and have no idea what kind of power cord comes with this kit, or where I could find one to even buy it without buying the whole kit. Any help is appreciated!

Fishy SPAMBOT reported.

alto
Jun. 21, 2011, 01:27 AM
Sorry for another saddle thread, but I will make this pretty quick!

This saddle fits my horse and I have the easiest time holding a position at the sitting trot on Koda, who is a little more difficult to sit.

My question now: is the seat too small for me? I can fit a hand in front, and about 3 inches behind. ANY input is VERY welcome, as I'm trying to find what works!!

Thanks SO much!! More pics available if it would help :)
-Em and Koda

Yes! :yes:
but I am only one, so I also polled the kid whose somewhat blunt response was :lol: Yes!

BUT if you already have this saddle, then keep riding in it :) it looks like a lovely saddle ... at some point, when opportunity presents, try the same saddle an inch bigger (ie if current saddle is a 16 1/2, try the 17 1/2)

(we scrolled though the pics in your album - gorgeous place to ride & you both look happy)

KateWooten
Jun. 21, 2011, 07:38 AM
Why do you have it propped up on a thick corrector pad ?

Bacchus
Jun. 21, 2011, 08:48 AM
It does look a little small -- I'd worry about being able to get my seat bones under me and using my seat aids correctly. Can't tell in these pics because I realize you aren't "riding," but your seat is out behind you and your back is arched. Just looks as if getting your seat under you and your back flat would be tough in this saddle.

It does looked propped up a bit by that thick pad. It actually looks a tad cantle high, but that looks like a back riser, so you want it that way?

kcmel
Jun. 21, 2011, 08:49 AM
I think it looks quite small. But I am no expert;).

Bacchus
Jun. 21, 2011, 08:50 AM
In the "riding" pic (out in the grass) your seat is a little more under you, but it looks as if it's on the cantle -- very tough to give proper seat aids from there.

However, these are only static pics, and if you are riding well and are comfy and your horse is responding well to you, it might be fine.

TheBrightSide06
Jun. 21, 2011, 10:55 AM
Great, thanks guys! It's not my saddle, I had just been borrowing it for a few days.
Thanks!

Big_Grey_hunter
Jun. 21, 2011, 11:23 AM
It does look quite small. How tall are you? Either that's a short horse or you are TALL.

Grasshopper
Jun. 21, 2011, 11:47 AM
Just based on my own limited experience, I'm going to guess that you can sit the trot more easily in it because it helps tilt your pelvis in a way that works for you. Yes, it does look a bit small, and that snugness and tilt can make it easier to sit the trot but also harder to use your parts (especially seat bones) independently and effectively.

If you're looking for a new saddle, I might look at the same model but in a larger seat size, and see if it still helps position your pelvis correctly but gives you more room to move. If looking at other models, look for the more curved seats rather than the flatter ones. Classic Saddlery used to have a little article on their website about pelvic rise and saddle seat shapes, not sure if it's still there but it was quite informative and useful, especially when considering dressage saddles.

From my own experience, I rode in a Prestige saddle for a while that positioned me beautifully but also left me room to move, and showed me how much I was fighting my County dressage saddle, which had a much flatter, more open seat. Prestige didn't work for my budget or horses, though, and I now have a Marcus Krehan and a Passier Grand Gilbert that I like (and that fit the ponies!).

babecakes
Jun. 21, 2011, 11:48 AM
It does look a little small -- I'd worry about being able to get my seat bones under me and using my seat aids correctly. Can't tell in these pics because I realize you aren't "riding," but your seat is out behind you and your back is arched. Just looks as if getting your seat under you and your back flat would be tough in this saddle.

It does looked propped up a bit by that thick pad. It actually looks a tad cantle high, but that looks like a back riser, so you want it that way?

My thoughts exactly, that first photo looks painful, like you are sitting forward on your pubic bones. Can you scoot your hips back and sit on your seat bones? Or is the sweet spot that far forward? and maybe because of the stacked padding? Is the pad stack to 'make' the saddle fit the horse?? Your ride contact would be far more effective and you would have room to move your hips to ride effectively with your seat vs your leg and hands if you had a saddle that fit both of you better IMHO.

purplnurpl
Jun. 21, 2011, 01:03 PM
I looks WAY small.

I'm a heavier version of you. I think we have the same type of conformation.

Also, think about your age. There is a chance you will bulk up a little bit when your muscles become more mature. (usually late teens and twenties).
For size purposes, my boots are made at 23" high and I am a size 12 shoe (but squish in to Ariat 11 paddock boots)
size 8 butt during skinny months.

just for kicks, get a saddle that you think will be too large, like an 18" seat and just try it. Then work your way DOWN rather than right now--working your way up.

I ride in a Vega double flap--it was the narrowest twist I could find. You might like a very narrow twist as well...

It has a 1/2 block so if I'm riding a small horse (HH is 16h) I can shorten my stirrup if needed and my knee has room to lay...
Also, in this saddle I can scoot around during hard efforts such as this pic shows:
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p189/xckaboom/28511_10150174299605212_664505211_12414911_919588_ n.jpg

and in my fat months when I'm a 10, it still fits well.
It's an 18" seat and stock off the rack. Regular flap.
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p189/xckaboom/boots2.jpg

I found that when in a saddle that was too small and with a full knee block, sitting trot rubs my who-hah and the inside of my knees raw. It's really really quite terrible.

Hollie McNeil
Jun. 21, 2011, 01:16 PM
Hi Emily-

Based on the photographs I would say the saddle is too small for you. I can't really see what the motion is for you in the saddle when the horse is moving but I'm betting you are fairly confined for a sitting trot. There's got to be a bit of room for you to move so that you can communicate with your seat aids.

TheBrightSide06
Jun. 21, 2011, 02:12 PM
I'm 6ft tall, size 3 jeans.
The other saddle pad (the bounce/riser pad) was put on as a force of habit, he doesn't need it and the saddle fits him without.

Thanks everyone! That's all I needed to know :)

Zephyr
Jun. 21, 2011, 02:12 PM
With those long legs of yours, I can't imagine that you wouldn't need an 18" saddle (not sure what's in the photo though).

purplnurpl
Jun. 21, 2011, 08:50 PM
With those long legs of yours, I can't imagine that you wouldn't need an 18" saddle (not sure what's in the photo though).

It's hard for people to break into saddles bigger than 17" though.
Especially if you ride around other juniors.
Many many riders believe 18" = chubby.

anything bigger than an 18" screws up the proper position of the stirrup bar so 18" has always been the max for me. With jumping saddles Kobie is going to live the life of having to buy custom. The 1XL in prestige is not even enough for me...I have to go double XL. uggggh!

TheBrightSide06
Jun. 21, 2011, 08:53 PM
It's hard for people to break into saddles bigger than 17" though.
Especially if you ride around other juniors.
Many many riders believe 18" = chubby.

anything bigger than an 18" screws up the proper position of the stirrup bar so 18" has always been the max for me. With jumping saddles Kobie is going to live the life of having to buy custom. The 1XL in prestige is not even enough for me...I have to go double XL. uggggh!

I don't have Kobie anymore, this is for me and my new boy :)
And if 18" is what works then I will gladly take one!!

purplnurpl
Jun. 22, 2011, 09:15 AM
I don't have Kobie anymore, this is for me and my new boy :)
And if 18" is what works then I will gladly take one!!

(I was referencing you! ;) Kobie is still your call name)

good luck shopping!!

fyi: Ann at EquestrainImports rents saddles.
She carries the Vegas and lots of others.

The Zara is a 1/2 block!!
http://equestrianimports.com/shop/used-saddles/used-saddles.html

TheBrightSide06
Jun. 22, 2011, 10:42 AM
(I was referencing you! ;) Kobie is still your call name)

good luck shopping!!

fyi: Ann at EquestrainImports rents saddles.
She carries the Vegas and lots of others.

The Zara is a 1/2 block!!
http://equestrianimports.com/shop/used-saddles/used-saddles.html

Ha! Ohh, gotcha!

And thanks! I will look at Equestrian Imports!!

JWB
Jun. 22, 2011, 01:35 PM
I bought a new Albion recently and the fitter was FANTASTIC. While not technically a "custom" saddle, they measured my horse and measured me to get the flaps & seat that would fit me on the tree that would fit my horse. I guess they don't make "stock" saddle - just make them as the orders come in. I had to wait 7 weeks but it was worth it! As close as I could get to custom in my price range (2k)