PDA

View Full Version : what causes pad to slip?

vestito
Jun. 20, 2011, 09:04 PM
Trying a new saddle which I love but the pad slips in no time at all. Will come right out the back and even with the keepers it will slide until no longer under the front of the pad.
This is a monoflap, as is my old saddle which never had a problem with pads slipping.
Thanks for your help in advance!

AlterBy
Jun. 20, 2011, 09:44 PM
If it is a NEW new saddle, sometime the flocking and leather flaps need to settle down a little before it makes a perfect fit,

BUT

Saddle pads that slip usually mean that the saddle doesn't fit properly.

JB
Jun. 21, 2011, 07:58 AM
Agree - nearly always caused by a saddle that either doesn't fit right, or is too far forward and held there.

GraceLikeRain
Jun. 21, 2011, 09:13 AM
When you put on your saddle are you sliding it back until you find the spot where it naturally wants to stop? A lot of people (myself included) are taught to place a saddle too far forward so it ends up restricting the back of the shoulder. Besides being uncomfortable for the horse it also allows for gaps under the saddle and some times you will end up with a saddle pad that wiggles out the back. I had a similar problem with my saddle and it totally disappeared after some minor tweaking from a very good saddle fitter and a slightly readjusted placement.

Do you have any pictures of the saddle on your horse?

creekridgefarm
Jun. 21, 2011, 10:20 AM
Does the pad slip only when you're riding? Have you tried lunging with it?? The only reason I ask is that with the monoflap saddles, there is obviously less between you and the horse. If you tend to grip with your knees, this can push the saddle pad back (and also affects the horse........). A student of mine had a monoflap that didn't fit correctly and was pitched forward. This caused her to lean forward/grip and the pad slid back.

AlterBy
Jun. 21, 2011, 10:59 AM
Does the pad slip only when you're riding? Have you tried lunging with it?? The only reason I ask is that with the monoflap saddles, there is obviously less between you and the horse. If you tend to grip with your knees, this can push the saddle pad back (and also affects the horse........). A student of mine had a monoflap that didn't fit correctly and was pitched forward. This caused her to lean forward/grip and the pad slid back.

^That's the cause.

I don't understand your point.
Of course there is less movement of the saddle while being lunge, so the saddle pad won't slip as much (or not even) but still...the saddle pad is moving because the saddle is not fitting properly. Not because the rider is gripping with the knees or ride poorly... A rider could pinch as much as he wanted in a well fitted saddle that the saddle pad wouldn't/shouldn't move an inch.

vestito
Jun. 22, 2011, 03:40 PM
Thanks for all replies. Love the saddle but the rep won't come back to fit it. She said she fit it the first time and that was it, she blamed the pad. Oh well!! Saddle search continues.

carolprudm
Jun. 23, 2011, 08:36 AM
What kind of pad are you using?

Sophie has low withers and a very round back. If I use one of the standard high withers pads it's going to bunch and slip all over the place. She needs the rather expensive Thermatex pads which never move.

You could also try one of the non slip liners http://www.bitofbritain.com/Nunn_Finer_No_Slip_Pad_p/0179.htm

Assuming the fitter is right of course

meupatdoes
Jun. 23, 2011, 09:42 AM
Love the saddle but the rep won't come back to fit it. She said she fit it the first time and that was it, she blamed the pad. Oh well!! Saddle search continues.

Wow.
Who is this rep?

alto
Jun. 23, 2011, 11:01 AM
Thanks for all replies. Love the saddle but the rep won't come back to fit it. She said she fit it the first time and that was it, she blamed the pad. Oh well!! Saddle search continues.

:confused:
Horses change shape with age, weight, fitness, injury ... what sort of saddle rep only "fits" a saddle once & expects that to be that - contact the company that the rep works for & start making noise :yes:

vestito
Jun. 23, 2011, 07:16 PM
I think we will be calling the company. She only came out once, fitted the saddle and left it to try. There are two riders for this horse and we both love the saddle. We also both always ride in a monoflap saddle usually so we are familiar with pad fit with this type.

We tried the saddle twice each with different pads. The rep is not correct in blaming the pad. We rode in different pads and the same thing happened each time.

The horse went beautiful in this saddle too, so we do want to try and figure it out. It just won't be with this rep. We offered to pay her for her time, but she still won't come out.

We are both kind and considerate so there wasn't any kind of friction, she just doesn't want to come out. Now this isn't an inexpensive saddle its around 4500 maybe more since its buffalo. I am not the owner and I am not the one buying the saddle so I am going by what I read on the website.
If anyone can make any suggestions for a monoflap saddle for a fairly flat backed and easy to fit horse please let me know your recommendations. She currently rides in a Sommer sp? and I ride in a Black Counrty Vinici model. The saddle we tried had a narrow twist and a deep seat with a moderate block.
Again thanks for your time in advance!