PDA

View Full Version : OK, let me in on the secret ...

KateWooten
Jun. 20, 2011, 08:36 PM
How do you get a stable with the rest of your team at an event ?

archieflies
Jun. 20, 2011, 08:40 PM
How do you get a stable with the rest of your team at an event ?

When you print out your entry form, also print the "USEA Stabling Form." It has a line for "Stable With ______________."

don't worry-- somebody had to show me that at first too! :) I ocassionally forget, but the super-duper organizers tend to recognize trainers' names and group accordingly. :)

saje
Jun. 20, 2011, 08:44 PM
It makes it much easier for the event organizers if everyone uses the same name too, like the farm name (best), or if a trainer is showing, everyone uses her name to stable with.

Show Secy
Jun. 20, 2011, 08:58 PM
Actually, for my database searches, it is much easier if the entire group uses one of the competing riders' names. I do not enter extra fields of info if I can avoid it, so searching on rider last name is fastest for me. Most folks do both, rider and barn/farm/trainer name, which is great. The more info the better. Takes only a few seconds for each competitor, but the secretary would need to look through 300-500 entries for that detail. We are all getting older, so make it simple for us! Thanks!

eponacowgirl
Jun. 20, 2011, 09:29 PM
I'm pretty sure Kate's frustration comes from the fact that she is NOT on the stabling list for Midsouth, nevermind with her buddies, despite putting her barn name on the sheet.

She is FOREVER being separated from her requested buddies.

KateWooten
Jun. 20, 2011, 09:59 PM
I am, indeed, distraught and frustrated.

On AECs, I put "Laxxx BXXX" (our trainer at that event) and got stabled in the arse end of Egypt, while watching from afar while Laxxx and the other girls on our team merrily perused the site on the golf cart that I was (half) paying for. (of course, this wouldn't even have been a story had it not been for the fact that when I got there, I found I'd been allocated someone else's tack-stall as my stable, complete with everyone else's tack, hay, shavings, five barking dogs .... which is funny, until you're all on your own with a distraught pony in one hand and nowhere left to go, and no team to turn to !)

At MayDaze, I changed tactic, and put "Axxxx CXXXxxx" - one of the well-known riders (well known everywhere - it was Cookxx PonX) in our group for that event. Alas for me, she withdrew before the event .... and I was again in BFN. (Actually, I really can't gripe at all about that one, because, on a superb stroke of genius, the wonderful Lori Shook, who I LOVE, decided in her wisdom, to park me right by Lxxx Wyxxy, another Knoxville rider and her students, and we had a hoot being variously last place and eliminated together :D )

Now at MidSouth, not only am I not with "Mcxxxx Farms", which everyone else put on their form, and got stabled together .... I am NOT in a stable anywhere !

Booooo Hooooo ! I can not take two ponies to an event for the first time On My Own ! I can not do two Move-Ups on the same weekend On My Own and Without a single Stable ! And I really wish I'd done that whole "through the water" thing before Tuesday ! aaaargghhhhh !

FLeckenAwesome
Jun. 20, 2011, 10:59 PM
Are you entering at the last minute? I know sometimes that screws things up.....

If not....????? Good luck though..
It's like me and the hubby... EVERY SINGLE TIME we go out to eat.. they walk us right to the table next to the bathrooms or the kitchen. Without fail. It's just funny now... we joke... welcome to the "FA and MR FA table'! Even when we walk past four empty tables...

Maybe we're just doomed.... hopefully you're at least stabled near a bathroom or kitchen ;)

dogdays
Jun. 20, 2011, 11:04 PM
Did you enter in a timely fashion? I always try to stable request together if they enter on time. Late entries may not get their request honored. And using a riders name instead of the farm name, makes it much easier to compile a "stable with" list. Also, keep in mind the more request you add such as, "have to be by water faucet, or porta john or facing dressage arena", may see you stabled where you want, but not with your friends. Your friends may have stabling request too, which can make it a nightmare to honor all "stable with". RV hook-up request also add another twist in where you may be stabled. Stabling request is like a jigsaw puzzle, sometimes it's easy and sometimes it's not.

WNT
Jun. 20, 2011, 11:14 PM
Ugh, I had that happen one year at the Fork. My employer (6 or 7 horses) and my co-worker (1 horse) were all in a row of the permanent stalls. My guy, despite the request we were all together, was in the tents a couple rows over. Not a huge distance, but a hassle none the less. I feel your pain.

KateWooten
Jun. 20, 2011, 11:22 PM
Yes, I entered this one, the day I got back from the last one ... which was a month ago. And no, alas, I can claim no Princess Special needs. I have never requested 'not by the poopers' or 'must have silvery-lilac M'n'Ms 6inches deep in stable' or anything of that ilk.

(Y'all haven't met me have ya ? ;) Well, ecg has, and i think she would probably back me up on the notion that no, I have 'probably' never requested special princessdom. ever. )

Anyway, the wonderful DL and her crew got back to me, and I think it's all sorted. Apparently there's an extra form that is available from the USEA but is not available through evententries.com ..... ? Sounds unlikely ... I suspect that I did print the right form on evententries.com but then perhaps threw it away thinking it was trash. Bizarrely, only the form for assigning the stable went missing - the others went through just fine !

FlightCheck
Jun. 21, 2011, 07:41 AM
I always email the secretary of the event on opening day with something like...

"Hi, this is XXXXX
I am bringing 6 riders to your event - could you please stable them together?
Suzie Q with SirPeesALot in BN
Mary X with MeSoCrazy in gghakkj
etc, etc. etc.

and that has always worked for us!

KC058
Jun. 21, 2011, 08:26 AM
KateWooten: Try mailing in your form WITH your bestie's form.. that usually does the trick for me :)

yellowbritches
Jun. 21, 2011, 09:07 AM
I got VERY nervous heading into VAHT when I saw the entry status on all our horses and riders. Despite me telling EVERYONE several times to put the name of the farm on their "Stable With" blank, I saw all manners of things on their entry status, including the boss' name...who was not competing!!! I was terrified Penny would have thrown her hands up in disgust and put us all in separate barns....which would have really sucked for me, being chief cook and bottle washer (meaning, I keep this ship afloat, am the only one who truly knows, without looking, what every horse eats and how they behave on a daily basis, AND, I seem to be the only one capable of keeping everyone on time and heading in the right direction...I was nervous).

Thankfully, Penny must have been able to piece it all together, even with a few last minute massive changes (one horse being brought to the event and ridden by a completely different rider, who obviously wanted the horse stabled with him...since it was coming down with his three day horses, and a new horse added...just to make things nice and complicated), and we were all stabled happily together, and created our usual good hearted chaos with ornery horses, spoiled dogs ("Someone tell Stella to get out of that chair so a human can sit down!" "Stella's been coming to shows longer than you have and has ALWAYS sat in a chair...you sit on the ground."), and plenty of drinking and debauchery.

Next time, though, I may fill out everyone's stabling forms so I don't have to go into massive panic attack mode two days before leaving! :lol:

Auburn
Jun. 21, 2011, 09:16 AM
Hi Kate,

You are stabled in the same barn that I am, which is 19. I believe that you are closest end to the cross country course. There are several riders from TN, who are in my group. Come on down. We are in the 1908-1912 stalls.

EventingMare
Jun. 21, 2011, 09:48 AM
Include who you want to be stabled with on your entry form or email/call the show secretary. They are normally very nice about this.

Rabtfarm
Jun. 21, 2011, 07:34 PM
Kate,
My daughter's trainer must have taken all your choice stabling spots, because she seems to do extremely well at this. Guessing that this doesn't make you feel much better, read the section on the forum about electronic devices..somehow they move from helmet cams to blenders and rapidly on to extreme liquor consumption while riding x cntry, so my guess would be for you to go on a "buy your event secretary a few beers" tour...
Seriously if it really does bother you, CALL them and tell them your needs. I imagine that they will accomodate you famously...unless you have ticked them off.
I am sure it will get better.
Enjoy.

EventMore
Jun. 21, 2011, 07:42 PM
I'm a trainer and I put a note in with my entry that lists all my students and requests hat we all be together. I also ask my students to request stabling with me. It works well for everyone who enters on opening day...late entries are often not with us.

Eventcrazy
Jun. 21, 2011, 08:59 PM
OH NO!!!! Just keep emailing the show sec. and call to get that sorted out. No reason if you put it on the stable sheet that they can't fix it!!!! Good luck!!!!

KateWooten
Jun. 21, 2011, 09:47 PM
I love you guys - you're a hoot ! Auburn ... I am totally going to figure out who you are real soon.... despite having met you already ... a couple of times .....

enjoytheride
Jun. 21, 2011, 10:04 PM
Maybe you smell funny and the rest of your barn is secretly putting "please for the love of all that is Holy don't stable us next to Kate because she smells funny and we can't bear to tell her."

Bensmom
Jun. 21, 2011, 10:56 PM
Even though we were usually a group of adults, and not kindergarteners, our trainer used to do the calendar, and set a date, a couple of days before opening date, when, if you were going to be traveling with us, you turned your entry in to her.

I could then sit down, go through them and make sure they were right, and the stabling forms were correct, and then we submitted them all in one large envelope together. I suppose if I were doing it now, my control freak self would want to enter everyone's entries into the event entries system, and I'm not sure how that would work.

My trainer has done the stabling arrangements for two very large events, and the headaches she went through in doing the charts were amazing (this was back in the day before the Excellent Event Entries began doing entries) She would literally spend about four days in a fog, doing nothing but arranging horses and riders in barns -- and making sure all the special requests were honored.

Then riders would show up with -- oops, a stallion. "Did I not tell you that the non-compete horse was a stallion? With no manners? Oops, sorry." :lol: It made for a lot of late, late nights prior to the event and during the check in times.

So, when we entered, we always had a neat packet ready to go on opening day. If you rode with us and decided to enter later than that, you could request to be with us, but knew you'd be on your own if you didn't enter promptly.

I didn't know if it made a difference to an event secretary, but I do know that legible, completely filled out forms and a polite competitor used to make my day back in the days when I did that volunteer work.

Have a great event and good luck on the move ups!!

Libby

JER
Jun. 22, 2011, 02:21 AM
Then riders would show up with -- oops, a stallion.

Even worse if the organizer knew in advance it was a stallion but put a mare adjacent to it anyway.

This happened to me once. In soft-sided stalls.

When I arrived, the stallion people had already set up shop for their beast, with warning signs -- festooned with lots of exclamation points -- taped to the canvas. I left my mare on the trailer and went to the office to politely request a stall re-assignment.

The organizer got quite huffy with me, informing me in her snootiest, most condescending voice that the stallion was ridden by an Upper Level Rider and therefore, my concerns were completely unfounded. :eek:

I held out for a new stall anyway and sure as heck never went back to that venue.

IronwoodFarm
Jun. 22, 2011, 05:31 AM
JER, I am surprised the ULR with the stallion wasn't seconding the stall reassignment as well. The last thing he/she would want is a mare parked next door!

I have a very well behaved stallion and show him frequently. He's always well behaved at a HT, but I would never, ever take the risk of putting him in a stall with a mare next door. That's tempting hormones and fate.

I agree that the show secretary must not have had first hand experience with a stallion. If she did, she would never have suggested it was okay.

KateWooten
Jun. 22, 2011, 07:42 AM
Maybe you smell funny and the rest of your barn is secretly putting "please for the love of all that is Holy don't stable us next to Kate because she smells funny and we can't bear to tell her."

Funnily enough, when I was in the darkest pit of despair on monday before Deborah fixed it, this is EXACTLY how the lovely Mr Wooten put it to me. How he cheers me up with his cheeky paranoia :)

(p.s. these interwebz are amazing aren't they ? I had no idea you all could smell me from there .... can you see me too ? Am I going to have to get washed AND put underwear on ? )

Rabtfarm
Jun. 22, 2011, 08:17 AM
I agree with Mr Wooten,,,I was going to post something about all your "friends" not telling you something, but thought that would be a bit snarky...and JER, I am making a living repairing the vet's semen collecting stalls...we are now at 10 feet and climbing because the stallions are climbing over 8 foot walls...the 2x6 SYP wall sheathing was kicked in..we covered it with 3/4" advantech plywood, which they kicked through. We then hung stall matts on the walls; at least they might get a rebound kick in the butt off the rubber. That Show Secretary needs to visit my vet's building.
SO Kate get washed and dressed and go eventing...

Auburn
Jun. 22, 2011, 08:52 AM
Now, Kate, since I have met you and know that you are as lovely as an English rose, I seriously doubt the bad smelling theory. Maybe they just do not want to be seen with such tiny ponies? ;)