PDA

View Full Version : Champagne Run entry status.

TXnGA
Jun. 20, 2011, 08:18 PM
Does anyone know why this link doesn't work for the Champagne Run entry status? the page is up, but it is not working....

http://eventingscores.com/eventsr/champrun/ht0711/

Thanks,

TXnGA
Jun. 21, 2011, 08:31 PM
Yeah!! They fixed it!

Mudroom
Jul. 12, 2011, 04:48 PM
Ugh, temps are supposed to be close to or over 90. They have gotten some rain though. Possiblity of rain continues. How do you adjust your plan for heat like this?

TXnGA
Jul. 12, 2011, 07:42 PM
Being from the South, the weather there will be a ton cooler than it has been down here. The heat index todalooking forward to having to put a light sheet on my guy at night.

secretariat
Jul. 12, 2011, 09:46 PM
WATERMELON!!!!!!

2ndyrgal
Jul. 12, 2011, 10:03 PM
I think you pray you go early. Very early. Who hates the heat worse, you or Stoney?

I think it was really hot at KHP a few years back, and I would swear it was a Prelim course, I watched you and Stoney go. I seem to remember that you were breathing a little harder than him, lol.

With my race track background, I'm simply the best at cooling out a hot horse on a hot day.

If a horse didn't start to cool off after the first bath,walk and water, the second bath bucket usually had tepid water mixed with rubbing alcohol. I'm not sure if it dilated the pores, evaporated quicker, or just felt colder (like how cold an alcohol wipe is on your skin even though it's room temperature), but it always seemed to work a treat. You would have to make sure that it didn't violate any drug regulations, we used it all the time, it was quite common.

We used Vetrolin as well, but someone told me that it tests and is a violation of the regulations, I have no idea if that is fact or not.

With a horse that was a poor drinker, we used powdered gatorade (orange) or Tang in their drinking water.

Standardbred training is done in intervals, so the idea was, during training, to keep the horses muscles warm and wet, while slowing their vital signs down to normal limits, then sending them out a second or third time. Even in the summer, same schedule, often during the heat of the day. The hotter the day, the faster the second interval times were, same is true in heat races.

After the final work, the object was to cool the horse down and get the vitals back within normal range as quickly as possible.

Shade and a breeze or a big fan will be your friend this weekend.

Let me know if you need an extra hand with the big boy.

Mudroom
Jul. 12, 2011, 10:41 PM
ride times are up:

http://eventingscores.com/eventsr/champrun/ht0711/

secretariat
Jul. 13, 2011, 07:08 PM
For those traveling down 75 (South) from Ohio, I just drove that route today, Wednesday, about 1:00 p.m. (low traffic time). I saw no traffic issues or construction in Cincinnati, but Dayton through about 1/2 way to Cincinnati was heavy and being rebuilt. Then when I crossed the river death hill was slow and bumper to bumper with some kind of work going on - even tho traffic was relatively light elsewhere. it cleared up at the top of the hill. Then at the 71 split traffic was backed up for a couple of miles, as they are apparently resurfacing the exit. Northbound 75 was backed up about the same amount in the same area where they are repaving and the road is down to 2 lanes.

I suspect Friday may present traffic problems in these areas. Good luck and safe driving.

HappyHorselover
Jul. 13, 2011, 11:43 PM
Good luck to everyone going! I lesson weekly with Maggie (owner/manager of Champagne Run) and I know how much goes in to this event.

adamsmom
Jul. 13, 2011, 11:50 PM
With high heat & cooling out, make sure to get boots off horses & humans and get extremities doused in cold water.
The blood gets cooled in the extremities quicker and circulates back to the core to help cool internally.

Many many hours spent in both athletic training for humans and vet box at long format 3-days at the upper levels.

And I can link you to the Stanford research.
;-)

2ndyrgal
Jul. 14, 2011, 01:40 PM
Maybe the weather gurus will be wrong and this will stick around til Monday.

Hey, we can dream can't we?