PDA

View Full Version : Micklem Bridle- A Miracle for at least one horse

Pages : [1] 2

IFG
Jun. 20, 2011, 03:22 PM
To start, I have no connection with Rambo or Micklem.

After 10 years of posting here, I have to post a Eureka! moment in hopes that it will help someone else. I am not saying that everyone will have the same experience from the Micklem that my horse and I did, but in hopes that it will help someone, here is my story. Sorry that it is so long.

My retired (from competition) event horse is 19. He is an OTTB that was given to a young girl after 4 years on the track. He was gelded late and a handful. I was asked to work with him. I started riding him at 6, and I bought him at 8. In all that time, he has not been soft. I could not use my back for half halts and have a conversation through the reins because he would : hide behind the contact, grab the bit and run around the ring, or lean on the bit. His head was always carried very high, and I could not get him to come over his back. Even when I would try to work him on a long rein, he would prefer to go around with his head in the air. If I got his head down, he would hide behind the contact and shut down his gait. It was as though he was stuck. I could have forward, or I could have his head down, but not both, and not his head down and nose out. I could not get him to go long and low and relaxed. He would not even put his head down and bring his back up on the lunge line (with a standard lunge caveson). I tried lots of different bits. I tried a mechanical hackamore. We used a Nathe for dressage, a Happy Mouth Pessoa for XC, and a rubber Pelham to foxhunt. Recently, I have used a three ring Stubben E-Z control for trail riding. In all the time I have had him, he was always tense. Dressage has been a frustration, and even jumping could be frustrating because I did not have a soft half halt. I felt like he was frustrated too, but that he was guarding himself against getting hurt. Try as I might to figure out how to make him comfortable, I could not.

I always thought that there was something physical going on. I wasn’t sure if it was his mouth, his back, or his legs. I had three different dentists, and all said that he was fine. I had him massaged, and there was no difference. I had several different saddles, and many saddle fittings. Horse still would not stretch down for the contact and use his back. It was frustrating for both of us. I always had the feeling that he wanted to be good, but something hurt him. I even started Yoga. My core and position improved, I can stand on my head, but my horse still didn’t relax.
I have ridden lots of horses over the years, and I have always been able to get the Schwung, but not on my own horse. In fact, he is my first horse, because I have always been able to catch ride. I didn’t think that it was a personality thing because he is a great guy. He lives at my house, aside from being a bit hot (he will greet me on his hind legs with a high five when dinner is late), he is great to work with. He loves fox-hunting and trail riding. We have evented for years, maxing out at Novice in part because I was scared to let him gallop, as I didn’t really have a half-halt. I could only get him back by using the bit, and when I used the bit to rate him, he shut down for the jumps.

So I decided to try the Micklem bridle. He did not love it bitless. I put on his Nathe. He did not love it with the clips. Then I took the clips off. The horse let out a deep breath and PUT HIS HEAD DOWN. For the first time ever, he connected with the bit without pulling. I half halted with my back, and he brought his back up. OMFG. He was waiting 13 years for me to figure this out. I have ridden him three times in the Micklem. Twice in the ring with the Nathe, once on the trails in a Stubben E-Z control Pessoa. The horse is swinging though his back like he has never done. He is reaching to the contact. HE IS SOFT. What is truly amazing is that in his dotage he IS USING HIS BACK. In fact, his gaits are so big and loose now, that I need to adjust to riding him. I can sit the trot for the first time because he is giving me a place to sit!

I cannot tell you how amazing this is. But if any of you have horses that sounds similar, that have fat tongues, low palates, and are always trying to avoid the bit and bridle hurting their mouths, try the Micklem. I wish that the Micklem had been out there when we were competing (we stopped in 2008 when his front feet could not take the concussion). However, I am just delighted to have finally figured out the problem. I thought that I was a lousy rider. I was afraid that I was making excuses, saying that he was in pain as a way to explain my inability to communicate with my horse, but there really was a physical issue. I am relieved to have figured it out. Funny, I think that he is too. I may even pull out my dressage saddle that has been in storage for over a year and try a dressage show. Who knows?

P.S. You can see an old pic of Murphy in my profile (yes, I paid for permission to use it on the internet). That pic was taken when I used to do XC in the Pelham a bunch of years ago.

Carried Away
Jun. 20, 2011, 03:33 PM
Thanks for sharing! I have been considering trying a Micklem on my young horse who has a low palate and constantly wiggles the bit. He is working well but I can't help but think that he could be more comfortable in a different bridle set up.

Bacchus
Jun. 20, 2011, 03:38 PM
I have Micklems for two of my horses, and I really like them. They seem to like them, too. Glad this has worked so well for you, and I hope it does help others.

deltawave
Jun. 20, 2011, 03:53 PM
I think they're pretty unattractive, but in desperation to find a bridle to fit Keebler's astoundingly large and pointy cheekbones, I tried one. Lo and behold, it fits him like a custom bridle, tucking just below his Schwarzenegger-like chiseled facial features like nothing else. :D

He immediately became less obsessed with rubbing his face on his foreleg every chance he got, and random head-flinging (while still there) is also much, much less frequent. Can't say it has made him any easier, but I do think it's made him more comfortable. :)

scubed
Jun. 20, 2011, 03:55 PM
Several horses in our barn use one. I am really liking it on my new guy. Is it a miracle for us? No, but it is super helpful in keeping him steadier and preventing him pulling and rooting when he gets tired and doesn't want to hold himself up. It also prevents rubs behind his sensitive TB ears. I really like them.

riderboy
Jun. 20, 2011, 04:06 PM
I know several riders who have them and love them. I find that having to use the word "miracle" in the product name usually is very off-putting.

IFG
Jun. 20, 2011, 04:09 PM
I know several riders who have them and love them. I find that having to use the word "miracle" in the product name usually is very off-putting.

Sorry. For my horse, it was just that. To finally figure out what was going on with him has been totally enlightening. Is that better? For those who do not know me I am a middle-aged curmudgeonly academic medical researcher, so if I use the word "miracle" it is quite a statement.

GingerJumper
Jun. 20, 2011, 04:12 PM
I posted something similar about a week ago. Total skeptic but it is working WONDERFULLY on my very sensitive OTTB. Completely different horse than when he was in a flash.

Obviously, it doesn't do this for every horse, but it's certainly worth a shot if you've got a sensitive or hard to fit (or both, in my case!) horse.

vineyridge
Jun. 20, 2011, 04:29 PM
It didn't used to be a "Miracle Bridle". It was either the Micklem MultiBridle or the Micklem Competition Bridle. I'd be put off myself by something that claims to be a miracle--because they rarely are. Now if it's the USER who claims the miracle and not the seller, I'm sold.

IFG
Jun. 20, 2011, 04:36 PM
It didn't used to be a "Miracle Bridle". It was either the Micklem MultiBridle or the Micklem Competition Bridle. I'd be put off myself by something that claims to be a miracle--because they rarely are. Now if it's the USER who claims the miracle and not the seller, I'm sold.

Yeah, it's me. I will revise the title.

Kairoshorses
Jun. 21, 2011, 12:23 AM
No miracle here, but I love it, and my horse seems to, too. We found our "ball of energy" in the reins just about a week ago, and while I'm not sure Micklem had anything to do with it, it was the bridle I had on! :D

IFG
Jun. 21, 2011, 07:28 AM
This is an updated version of the same question from me. Would you use an ordinary flash bridle for everyday riding or a Micklem Competition bridle by Horseware Ireland. I've had a hard time deciding, can anyone help me out if you've used both these bridles? Thanks again!

For my horse? The Micklem. In fact, I am getting ready to store all of my other bridles.

KarenC
Jun. 21, 2011, 07:59 AM
I've been considering one for my very, very fussy Arab mare. How is the sizing on these bridles? I remember from previous threads that they were not that adjustable. She generally wears a cob but does fit into some pony stuff.

Bacchus
Jun. 21, 2011, 08:42 AM
The cob size fits my TB with an Arab-shaped cob-size head very well. My Appy-X with a normal horse-size head fits OK into the small/regular horse size bridle (I think there's a horse and a large horse -- so the horse size), but the large horse size was way too big. Ideally, I need to put one more hole in the "cheek" piece for him, but it fits OK as is. Weird, because he seems to have a large jaw.

I use the Micklem for everyday riding and showing. I sold my other bridles. I want to buy a Competition in black for my TB, though -- he has the Multi in brown. The Appy has the Competition in brown.

BTW, IFG, I knew what your title meant, but this one works;)

Napoles
Jun. 21, 2011, 08:49 AM
For my horse? The Micklem. In fact, I am getting ready to store all of my other bridles.

I have the same situation. All the bridles for my little horse that wears the Micklem are now defunct as they are too small for my other horses. Oh well, I am just happy to have found something that works so well on him! :)

IFG
Jun. 21, 2011, 09:04 AM
I've been considering one for my very, very fussy Arab mare. How is the sizing on these bridles? I remember from previous threads that they were not that adjustable. She generally wears a cob but does fit into some pony stuff.

My horse is an OTTB with QH type head. He wears a horse Browband with a cob cheek piece. The Micklem Horse fit him.

chillydc
Jun. 21, 2011, 12:15 PM
I am thinking about investing in a Micklem for my younger jumper. I was thinking about a Kineton noseband, but it seems that the clips on the Micklem would do the same thing, for about the same price I get a whole bridle, plus all the the other benefits. My horse throws his head a bit when the jumps get bigger... he gets agressive and holding him back is hard, b/c he is also very insulted when I hold him back... I was also toying with trying a hackamore until I saw this thread and investigated. Right now he is in a 3 ring (w/ french link), with the rein on the middle ring with a figure eight noseband, also a running martingale. The Micklem seems to have the entire package. Do the clips seem to apply pressure to the nose the way a Kineton would? I am not sure it will work for him, but it seems like it might... I think more subtle, less severe would be great if it would work. Sorry for the ramble... any thoughts would be great!

Napoles
Jun. 21, 2011, 12:26 PM
They definitely apply some pressure to the nose. My little horse resists that pressure quite a bit so I work him sometimes with the clips, sometimes without.

IFG
Jun. 21, 2011, 12:33 PM
Yeah, my horse did not appreciate the clips. He was golden with no clips and the Nathe.

goodmorning
Jun. 21, 2011, 12:37 PM
IFG - did you ever try removing the nose-band? Out of frustration, I did this with my TB today...I've been told by a few to fiddle around with his noseband, not the bit, and I was very pleased with the consistency in contact within gaits, still not there during transitions but that will come with time. Wondering how the Micklem compares with riding sans nose-band? Mine seemed to breathe a big sigh of release when I took it off...

OverandOnward
Jun. 21, 2011, 12:49 PM
I tried a Micklem because my horse told me so frequently that, although he didn't mind the idea of a bridle, every bridle he wore was uncomfortable on his head in some way. Adjustments and different bridles didn't make much difference. He tried to rub his nose on his leg at every halt such that it was a discipline issue - I was actually concerned that during dressage test halts his nose was going to dive to his cannons for a rub. After every ride, as soon as the bridle came off, he insisted on an massive emergency 6 minute head rub that sent humans flying, and caused bad feelings if discipline was attempted to restrain the energy.

Tried the Micklem and the rubbing has pretty much has gone away. He's forgotten about rubbing on his leg during rides. The after-ride head relief is down to some brief light scratching in a couple of small spots, and he says thanks, he's good.

Carried Away
Jun. 21, 2011, 12:57 PM
Going to try one today on my 6yo OTTB...he loooves to open his mouth and he literally flings his head away when I put the flash on so I know he hates it...

I've had him 3 months, he has a low palate/big tongue and sensitive face (he's a thin skinned grey on top of it). He has been improving steadily on the flat and is good with the contact, but still opens his mouth despite the flash and he loves to wiggle/play with the bit. Only bad thing is that we have a HT this weekend so I will be on the fence about using it there unless he goes great in it today and in our jump lesson tomorrow.

Will post an update here later or tomorrow!

Watch Wee Willy
Jun. 21, 2011, 01:26 PM
Wha seems to cause the head rubbing? My horse has to stop and rub his face on his cannons every chance he gets. I sometimes ride him in a Dr. Cooks bitless bridle, and sometimes in a regular bridle, and he does it in both. He is also notorious run away, and crown prince of, "I'm just not going to listen to you today." I've tried every bit imaginable.

baxtersmom
Jun. 21, 2011, 03:36 PM
he gets agressive and holding him back is hard, b/c he is also very insulted when I hold him back... I was also toying with trying a hackamore until I saw this thread and investigated.

Not to hijack, but I have started jumping my guy in a hackamore (like the sprenger version) and it's worked very well. He had a tendency to rush and would also get very offended if I "overcorrected" him. With the hack I can give a pretty substantial half halt if necessary, without him getting all put out. It's also done wonders for a really fussy, sensitive-mouthed mare at our barn. It may be worth trying - you can get the ugly light brown ones for like $20. :)

I am also saving my pennies to try one of the Micklems for Mr. Princess-and-the-Pea Pony. These threads always make it harder to wait until I actually HAVE the money.

IFG
Jun. 21, 2011, 03:55 PM
IFG - did you ever try removing the nose-band? Out of frustration, I did this with my TB today...I've been told by a few to fiddle around with his noseband, not the bit, and I was very pleased with the consistency in contact within gaits, still not there during transitions but that will come with time. Wondering how the Micklem compares with riding sans nose-band? Mine seemed to breathe a big sigh of release when I took it off...

Sans noseband, my horse put his tongue over the bit. If it works for yours, great! I was just between a rock and a hard place. He obviously hated the flash or figure 8, but I couldn't ride without the noseband. Did I really leave that out of my treatise? Shame on me.

IFG
Jun. 21, 2011, 03:57 PM
Not to hijack, but I have started jumping my guy in a hackamore (like the sprenger version) and it's worked very well. He had a tendency to rush and would also get very offended if I "overcorrected" him. With the hack I can give a pretty substantial half halt if necessary, without him getting all put out. It's also done wonders for a really fussy, sensitive-mouthed mare at our barn. It may be worth trying - you can get the ugly light brown ones for like $20. :)

I am also saving my pennies to try one of the Micklems for Mr. Princess-and-the-Pea Pony. These threads always make it harder to wait until I actually HAVE the money.

Yeah, I tried the hack years ago (HS type). He hated it. Sold it to someone on the COTH in fact. My point is not that the Micklem is for every horse, but that for some, it can be amazing.

Just like humans, different strokes for different folks.

Fancy That
Jun. 21, 2011, 07:49 PM
I love the idea of the Micklems and was about to buy one on ebay, but it was Cob size and I heard they run psycho-small.

QUESTION - by removing the clips, as the OP said (or not using them)....doesn't that mean the bit is no longer connected to the noseband? In other words, the bit sits in his mouth like any other bridle? And the only change is the actual ERGONOMIC SHAPE/FIT of the bridle? So it wasn't the noseband pressure with the bit, or the stablity of the bit (when it's clipped to the noseband and cheek pieces, it really does NOT move)

it was just that his bridles were uncomfortable on his head? Can you elaborate?

Personally, i don't use a noseband at all, except at events/shows since it is required. But I don't do more than BN, and my mare doesn't resist, gape, open her mouth, cross her jaw or anything.

However - I love the idea of a bitless bridle, so would consider it for that, too.

IFG
Jun. 21, 2011, 11:00 PM
Fancy That, I am not really sure why my horse liked the Micklem so much. I suspect that the caveson on a standard bridle, lunge caveson, and hackamore hurt the nerves that run under his nose.

When I tried riding without a caveson, he put his tongue over the bit.

Larbear
Jun. 21, 2011, 11:42 PM
I was thinking of trying one of these...are they legal in dressage?

Napoles
Jun. 22, 2011, 04:31 AM

Yes, but without the clips.

Old Fashioned
Jun. 22, 2011, 07:13 AM
I have a horse that can't stand any type of dropped noseband, figure eight, flash, etc. He had the same reaction to the Micklem at first so I tried fastening it behind the bit like a french cavesson and now he's happy as a clam.

Wee Willy - According to the Micklem DVD the bridle's come with traditional bridles can press on facial nerves which can cause the need to rub. The Micklem bridle is designed to avoid the facial nerves.

vineyridge
Jun. 22, 2011, 07:21 AM

USEF Rule DR 121--last section of that rule

6. Micklem Bridle. Permitted for use at any level where snaffles are permitted. Not permit-
ted for use as a double bridle. Bit clips may not be used with this bridle.

jn4jenny
Jun. 22, 2011, 07:21 AM
FWIW, my horse had no reaction (positive or negative) to the Micklem bridle. To be fair, I did not buy a Micklem because of training problems; I was just trying to get him to scratch his head on his right front leg less often. :lol: I keep it around as a spare bridle, but I may sell it since I don't love how it fits my horse's head (nothing that would affect the bridle's function, and it was a tossup between cob size and horse size so I went with cob.)

OverandOnward
Jun. 22, 2011, 11:20 AM
A p.s. ... I took the plunge and bought the Micklem because Dover assured me they'd take a return if it didn't fit. I said that if it were marginal I would really want to ride with it a few times, as leather can kind of settle in to a better fit once it is in use. They said that's fine, it didn't matter if it wasn't pristine, they would take a return. If anyone orders on that basis I do suggest being sure of those terms with Dover, though.

A caveat that I felt like I needed another college degree to figure out how it was supposed to be put together, and then fasten on to the horse. The picture looked so simple and basic - assembling it was not! (Caveat that apparently mine was missing some instructions that are supposed to come with it.)

That said, having finally gotten the right straps connected to the right buckles, it is absolutely simple to go on and off. So many less moving straps than the usual 'english' bridle! :)

KarenC
Jun. 22, 2011, 11:46 AM
Jn4jenny, you have a pm...

Mtn trails
Jun. 22, 2011, 11:51 AM
My horse also has a head rubbing problem and can't wait until I take off the bridle and does try while schooling and I thought this bridle might be worth checking out. I would like to try a Micklem before buying one though. Is there any place that will loan them out to try before buying like the Myler bits?

IFG
Jun. 22, 2011, 11:53 AM
My horse also has a head rubbing problem and can't wait until I take off the bridle and does try while schooling and I thought this bridle might be worth checking out. I would like to try a Micklem before buying one though. Is there any place that will loan them out to try before buying like the Myler bits?

Dover has a ride and try offer:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-TR804

Mtn trails
Jun. 22, 2011, 12:14 PM
Cool, thanks IFG! In looking at the picture, are the clips that are illegal in dressage the ones that are holding the bit in place? It looks like from the pic that that's the only thing that keeps the bit on, or am I looking at something else?

IFG
Jun. 22, 2011, 12:24 PM
Cool, thanks IFG! In looking at the picture, are the clips that are illegal in dressage the ones that are holding the bit in place? It looks like from the pic that that's the only thing that keeps the bit on, or am I looking at something else?

There are little leather loops that hold the bit in place. The clips are plastic and work to stabilize the bit.

IFG
Jun. 22, 2011, 12:26 PM
To see the plastic clips, blow up the image on this page:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-12672&ids=125551604

They go from the bit to the upper noseband ring.

Mtn trails
Jun. 22, 2011, 12:41 PM
Oh, okay, I see them now. Are they really necessary or can they be done without? I just ordered from SmartPak, Dover horse size was on backorder, plus I get free shipping from SP.

IFG
Jun. 22, 2011, 12:44 PM
Oh, okay, I see them now. Are they really necessary or can they be done without? I just ordered from SmartPak, Dover horse size was on backorder, plus I get free shipping from SP.

According to my horse, they are not only unnecessary, but unwanted.

Old Fashioned
Jun. 22, 2011, 12:50 PM
FYI - I didn't like the way the bit straps attach from the bit to the bridle. It made switching bits for different horse a little complicated and I was always misplacing the strap when cleaning.

If you reverse the process and attach the straps to the bridle first then you just unbuckle to remove the bit and the strap stays attached to the bridle! :winkgrin:

IFG
Jun. 22, 2011, 12:55 PM
FYI - I didn't like the way the bit straps attach from the bit to the bridle. It made switching bits for different horse a little complicated and I was always misplacing the strap when cleaning.

If you reverse the process and attach the straps to the bridle first then you just unbuckle to remove the bit and the strap stays attached to the bridle! :winkgrin:

What a great idea! That was the only problem that I was having because I use different bits in the ring and hacking on the road.

Bacchus
Jun. 22, 2011, 01:24 PM
From what I read, the bit clips were mainly for green horses/riders when jumping so that you don't bump your horse in the mouth -- or at least not as hard;) The Competition bridle doesn't even come with them.

I use them when jumping on my green horse.

SprinklerBandit
Jun. 22, 2011, 05:10 PM
I picked one up and tried it on a whim (what can I say? I like bridles). Mare went just fine in it, but I haven't noticed a change in her one way or another. I can definitely see how it might make a difference for a fussy horse, though. I should probably move on to something else and let a fussy horse have this one.

Also, mine didn't come assembled, but I thought it was pretty straight forward to put together.

eventer@heart
Jun. 22, 2011, 05:36 PM
here's a very informative ~11 min video about these - I found it educational when I was deciding whether to try one. We've been using it for 2.5 years and have never looked back. It has fixed my mare's pretty excessive face rubbing (during & after rides) quickly & permanently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ7aJkVWRMo

hardrockcrossing
Jun. 22, 2011, 07:31 PM
Sorry to hijack the thread for a moment...but for those of you who use the Micklem bridle, would you say they run a bit small (I think someone mentioned that here), true to size, or large (as I was told by my local tack shop)? This thread (and others) have convinced me that the Micklem maybe a good solution for my TB's rather prominent cheekbones, always itchy face, etc...My horse is currently in a horse sized Bobby's bridle, on some of the smallest holes...would he likely fit better in the small horse or regular horse size Micklem? Thanks :)

IFG
Jun. 22, 2011, 07:34 PM
I would get the horse size. My OTTB wears a horse bridle with cob cheeks in the Nunn Finer if that helps at all. In all his other bridles, Jerry's, Sterling, Ainsley, he is on the first or second hole with a loose ring.

vineyridge
Jun. 22, 2011, 07:43 PM
Mine worked fine with two TBs with normal TB sized heads. I needed a cob size for the TB with the Araby head. She takes a cob sized halter also.

vineyridge
Jun. 22, 2011, 07:53 PM
Only thing I don't like about it is that mine is held together by fabric tapes; that's what holds metal loops to the nosepiece. My horse got the reins caught in the fence and yanked back hard. I was using it bitless, and the part with the reins broke those fabric tapes. So I have a section with reins and a section with headstall and no connection between the two. If it were a regular bridle I could buy replacement pieces, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to repair/replace those fabric tapes.

eventer_mi
Jun. 22, 2011, 08:07 PM
I, too, tried the Micklem to see if I could alleviate my horse's incessant head-rubbin on his left front leg. Didn't do a darn thing, so i sold mine to another COTHer, who seems to be quite happy with it. Found out just recently that my gelding rubs his head because he doesn't like his own slobber, so I guess no bridle will fix that.

Bacchus
Jun. 22, 2011, 09:36 PM
I think the cob size fits well and pretty true to size, but the horse (regular) is a bit large in the cheek strap, and runs a bit large overall, but not much. The LH was huge on my regular horse size horse (someone sent me the wrong one).

I should try the cob size on my horse-size horse to see how it work.

Grasshopper
Jun. 23, 2011, 04:01 PM
Bacchus--would be curious to hear how it works. I have a filly who I *think* is a cob size. Definitely shorter in the head than my mare, who has a very feminine head and uses horse-size bridles, but cheekpieces are always close to the shortest holes and nosebands are almost always on the smallest holes. Both of them need lots of room through the jowls and have good-sized foreheads, though!

Anyway, debating getting the "small horse" Micklem for the filly but don't want it to become useless if her head suddenly grows a couple inches. She's 3.5 now.

hardrockcrossing
Jun. 23, 2011, 04:22 PM
Does anyone have the Tobacco color? Pictures look more light or dark havana to me. How light is the Tobacco?

Mudroom
Jun. 23, 2011, 04:29 PM
Are they legal for eventing dressage? The rule posted earlier in the thread was for dressage dressage. I wish there weren't differences, but there are.

vineyridge
Jun. 23, 2011, 05:02 PM
Eventing Rules--Appendix 4
Eventing--Saddlery Permitted for Dressage. Last item is the Micklem Bridle. Nothing about clips being permitted or not, so in the absence of a prohibition, eventing might permit use with the clips while Dressage does not.

deltawave
Jun. 23, 2011, 06:01 PM
I used one in eventing dressage all last year. No clips--don't know why they are there, so I chucked them. :)

ThirdCharm
Jun. 25, 2011, 10:07 PM
Trying one this week on my sensitive TB mare with a fat tongue (and fat lips quite frankly) with a Nathe loose-ring. She is a dainty-headed TB and goes in a Cob generally speaking, but the Horse size seems to fit okay (on the smallest adjustments). We shall see.....

Jennifer

Fancy That
Jun. 25, 2011, 10:42 PM
About the facial nerves being hit on a regular bridle....

The headstall and browband look to be the same as a regular bridle (same place) So do you all think that it is just the CAVESSON on regular bridles that annoy horses? (hit nerves)

Again - if you remove the cavesson from the picture....the Micklem headstall/cheek piece and browband are the same.

Oh - the throatlatch is obviously in a different spot. Perhaps it "pulls down" the headstall/cheekpieces more?

Just trying to understand it. I'm always interested in my horse being as comfortable as possible, and she too, tries to rub bit/bridle out/off :)

IFG
Jun. 26, 2011, 03:20 PM
Jennifer, I hope that I have not steered you down the garden path. Good luck!

As for what is different, I think that it is the avoidance of the jaw bones. Nothing rubs against the teeth on the side of the head, no cheek pieces, no caveson. The bit hanger is away from the face. Even getting attacked by bugs out in the fields, my horse was better :).

ThirdCharm
Jun. 26, 2011, 11:33 PM
Rode Ms. Sensitive in it today, and she did seem happier, easier to bend on her 'bad' side, etc. Might try a cob size on her as with the horse size, the bit clips have absolutely no effect (if I ever need to use them).... think I may need one where the section across the nose is shorter. But I can see how overall it would be more comfortable....

Jennifer

Grasshopper
Jul. 1, 2011, 02:53 PM
PSA: Equestrian Collections has the Micklem Competition bridle, in the pony and small horse sizes in tobacco color, on closeout for $94.95. :)

Bacchus
Jul. 1, 2011, 03:06 PM
This shows how the fit is supposed to help in comfort: http://www.williammicklem.com/multibridle-insideout.html

Wish I could find closeout competition bridles (cob) in black!

Sorry, but I keep forgetting to try the cob on my horse. I'll try to remember this weekend.

Grasshopper
Jul. 1, 2011, 03:32 PM
Bacchus--for that price I just went ahead and got a small horse in tobacco for the filly, as it's worth a shot! The funny part is I have a brown dressage saddle, so I should be able to use the bridle for everything from foxhunting to dressage, assuming the filly actually wants to do any of those things. Of course, as these things go, she'll probably end up wanting to be a show hunter.... ;)

IFG
Jul. 1, 2011, 03:56 PM
If only Murphy took a cob. Could use the Competition bridle for the trail bit.

Old Fashioned
Jul. 1, 2011, 04:06 PM
Bacchus - Two sets of bit clips should have come with your competition bridle. They came with both of mine. It's the bitless converter that doesn't come with the competition model. Dover now has the black in all sizes.

Zajdadi
Jul. 1, 2011, 04:50 PM
I tried the Micklem bridle on my advanced dressage horse and didn't really expect to see any improvement as he works in a snaffle bridle with a drop noseband anyway. I'm not sure why it made a difference but it did and the horse was definitely more relaxed in the rein and with this bridle than in his old bridle. I recommend them to a lot of my clients as I feel the horse is as comfortable as he can be whilst wearing a bit and bridle on his head due to the good design of this piece of equipment. Diana Zajda

Larbear
Jul. 1, 2011, 06:18 PM
I tried the Micklem bridle this week and was able to get the demo bridle from Dover for the test ride. Hafta say, I was kinda skeptical and didn't expect too much but my horse did seem much happier and steadier in the Micklem bridle (didn't use the clips). The demo bridle I got was the small horse and although it ended up being a bit too small (I was on the last hole of the lower noseband part and pseudo throat latch part) I was still able to try it out. As a plus, I did find a black Micklem competition bridle in the Dover Basement (SCORE!) so I was able to go up a size and it fits ok (my horse is inbetween cob and regular horse size) and at a good price! I'm sold :D

RAyers
Jul. 3, 2011, 06:17 PM
Like the previous two posts, I bought and tried my Micklem bridle today. The changes in my horse were very subtle but wonderfully positive. I felt a more direct connection to the bit and my greenie was less defensive with the bit being more stable in his mouth. The peanut gallery (it sucks to have knowledgeable horsemen interested this) watching all noted positive aspects of my horse's movements.

Reed

ake987
Jul. 3, 2011, 06:21 PM
I LOVE READING THESE POSTS! My boyfriend bought me the Micklem bridle for my birthday last October and I haven't stopped raving about it since then. I JUST LOVE IT! The design makes so much sense, my sensitive chestnut is so comfortable in it. Infinitely moreso than other bridles.

I recently wrote to William Micklem proclaiming my love for this bridle, and received a wonderfully gracious response that I certainly wasn't expecting.

ThirdCharm
Jul. 3, 2011, 06:26 PM
PSA: Equestrian Collections has the Micklem Competition bridle, in the pony and small horse sizes in tobacco color, on closeout for $94.95. :)

What does tobacco color look like? Dang!!

Jennifer

ake987
Jul. 3, 2011, 06:36 PM
What does tobacco color look like? Dang!!

Jennifer

Like this! (http://www.cheval-shop.com/boutique/2253-2943-thickbox/horseware-rambo-micklem-multibridle-for-competition.jpg)

Strangely.. that is the only photo I could find of it in tobacco! But, you know what the rest of the bridle looks like, so.. ;)

RedMare01
Jul. 3, 2011, 08:07 PM
Can anyone answer how the sizing runs? My mare is inbetween horse and cob size...she's currently wearing a cob bridle and it fits fine except that the browband is a wee bit too short. Would really like to buy the Miklem from Eq Collections...does the small horse fit equivalently to a cob bridle for the most part?

whicker
Jul. 3, 2011, 09:13 PM
I ordered mine yesterday.
Rayers- did you use the clips or just the competition bridle with just the bit?
I would like to try the bitless version, too.
I have a Trak with a tiny mouth, low palate, very thick tongue and lips, and promenent teeth. She is sooo sensitive that I'm even trying a hackamore. She doesn't approve of anything yet that I've tried. And she is quite dramatic about her opinion, too...
She is a gutsy brave girl, so I know there has to be a better way. Hope this works!

xcjumper
Jul. 3, 2011, 09:28 PM
Love my Micklem and every horse that I have put it on goes much better in them!! It is the only bridle I will use now!

RedMare-I would order the small horse because they do run on the small side..especially the part that runs under the jowls. My TB has a small TB head and the small just barely fit. They do stretch out a bit though. I would worry that the Cob wouldn't fit the jowl part.

ThirdCharm
Jul. 3, 2011, 11:25 PM
Well, I had already ordered a dark brown one in the Small Horse from SmartPak, but what they hey, that tobacco color will look smashing in my chestnut mare. Can never have too many bridles....!

Jennifer

RAyers
Jul. 4, 2011, 01:29 AM
I ordered mine yesterday.
Rayers- did you use the clips or just the competition bridle with just the bit?

I used a Nathe without the clips (damn near as bitless with a bit as you can get). I have the non-competition bridle but I will only use that for jumping. If it really works, I will get a competition bridle for dressage. I will try the clips at some point just to see.

Reed

Larbear
Jul. 4, 2011, 08:36 AM
I think cob size is small horse. When I tried that size, the jowl strap was short (I was on the last hole). RedMare, I think you'd be safer with the regular horse size. I was surprised because most Rambo stuff seems to be sized on the larger size.

IFG
Jul. 4, 2011, 10:13 AM
I asked Equestrian Collections, and they said that small horse was a cob.

rbmr
Jul. 4, 2011, 06:46 PM
Has anyone tried one on a big warmblood head? Is large horse still on the small side?

Mtn trails
Jul. 14, 2011, 11:54 AM
I just got my Micklem bridle the other day and after figuring out how it went together, tried it on my mustang. I found that although the bridle fit, the "throatlatch" was very tight and I could barely fasten it on the first hole. This was the regular horse size and although mustangs typically have big heads, her head is normal horse size. Should I return it and get the large horse size or is the throatlatch okay a little on the tight side? I am assuming it's going to stretch sooner or later.

IFG
Jul. 14, 2011, 11:58 AM
I ride with the jaw strap pretty snug. Mine has stretched a little. If you get a bigger size, will the nosepiece be too low?

Mtn trails
Jul. 14, 2011, 12:04 PM
Probably. Is the throatlatch supposed to fit across the cheek or just below? In looking at the pic on their site, it looks like it's just below the cheek. I'll be trying it at my lesson tonight and hoping for good results.

IFG
Jul. 14, 2011, 12:43 PM
I have it fastened just in front of the cheek bone (like a lunge caveson). Mine is on the third hole from the end of the strap.

Larbear
Jul. 14, 2011, 12:49 PM
The first Micklem bridle I tried fit good except for the jaw strap....that one was on the last hold and bit snug. I opted to go up one size because although I could fit the bridle now, I wasn't sure how it was going to fit once my guy got fuzzy in the winter. I'm on the 2nd last hole on the 'cheek' pieces but now the jaw strap is the 3rd hole and gives me some wiggle room. Too bad I couldn't combine a small horse size with a regular horse size jaw strap :)

Toadie's mom
Jul. 14, 2011, 01:32 PM
Can you guys who already have the competition bridle tell me about the rubber reins? Are they the thick, bulky (like race reins), or more like the soft grip (wishful thinking on my part)? I couldn't find any pictures with the reins.

Mtn trails
Jul. 14, 2011, 01:37 PM
They're a bit on the bulky side. I just put my Nunn Finer reins on (can't remember the model). I figured the others would make good spares.

KaBoom!
Jul. 14, 2011, 09:02 PM
I bought the large horse size for my Irish hunter who takes over sized normal bridles. It fits him beautifully. He goes fine in this bridle but the dramatic difference is with my welsh/tb pony.
I call him my commitee pony (they couldn't agree on his parts) Has a pony attitude with the tb freak out gene. Lovely combination. I use the bit clips so that Mr. Sensitive who likes to rush around will listen to a half halt in front of a fence without inverting and making my nose bleed. Even my dyed in the wool conservative trainer who hates gadgets thought it was a good thing. Amazing
:D

Mtn trails
Jul. 15, 2011, 01:43 AM
Rode mare in it for the first time tonight and it is da bomb! No teeth clacking (see other thread on that), no flicking her head up and down as she sometimes does, she was much more willing and happy in her work. Yay!! She still wanted to rub her nose but much less than usual. I love this bridle!

PNWjumper
Jul. 15, 2011, 02:11 AM
I'll add my 2 cents...I like the bridle. I have a super fussy TB who HATES flashes and figure 8s and really anything with any sort of nose pressure (mikmar w/ nose rope, kineton noseband, hackamore, side pull, dr. cook's bitless, etc.) and is also fussy with bits. He's gone nicely in this so far.....unfortunately my test period was interrupted by a horseshow and I wasn't about to wander away from my go-to show bit of a slow twist gag (obviously you can't use a gag on the miklem unless I'm missing something). But I suspect that given a little more time I'll be able to use this in lieu of the gag with the appropriate bit (meaning maybe a slow twist snaffle...???)

But I digress. I have found that using a standing on this horse makes a big difference (and I'm not typically a big fan of standings....let alone on a big jumper). And this is a problem since you can't use a standing in classes that offer more than $5K in prize money, nor can you use them in Canada (where we spend much of our time showing). But without the standing he tends to flip his head and invert right before/at take-off. With the Miklem I've been able to maintain a steady connection with him at and over the jump without his typical objection (not the prettiest photo, but illustrates my point decently enough http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2707589460094686761eDWcUc).

My comments on fit etc.: After reading various threads, I ordered a size up from what I would have (my guy is 17h has a moderately large TB head and generally wears a regular horse sized bridle) and the large horse fits him well. Doesn't seem like the bridle would work well on a really big warmblood head all that well. I don't mind the rubber reins that came with it, though they are on the thick side. They do seem to supple up pretty quickly, but I'll likely ditch them for regular laced reins eventually.

And my question: To those of you riding with the bit clips....

Any advice about the types of bits that work with the clips? I rode in a happy mouth eggbutt and then a D-ring bit and the clips really didn't fit either. I ended up pulling them off, but they were what really appealed to me about the bridle since "how" the bit sits in the mouth may be my guy's issue. I wonder if maybe I should dig out one of my loose ring snaffles?

albigears
Jul. 15, 2011, 03:31 AM
Can this bridle help horses that constantly get their tongues over the bit??

Napoles
Jul. 15, 2011, 04:36 AM

Most definitely. I have one horse who gets his tongue over the bit in every bridle, every bit. I bought a Micklem bridle earlier this year and he just gets better and better in it.

I rode most of the time with the clips on first (he couldn't get his tongue over at all, but was inclined to resist the nose pressure). Now I can ride him without the clips and he still doesn't get his tongue over, despite me gradually asking for more in his dressage work (collection etc). Before I just could not sharpen up his transitions as when put under any pressure he would just flip his tongue over. Now I can demand more and he is really starting to work well. :)
It takes a while, but it definitely makes an enormous difference and I wouldn't ride him in anything else now.

IFG
Jul. 15, 2011, 05:50 AM

Yes, even without the clips (which my horse did not seem to like). The tongue stays under the bit without cranking the chinstrap super tight. That's why I cannot ride my horse without a noseband (which might have solved his issues with rein contact.

William Ireland
Jul. 15, 2011, 07:12 AM
It's wonderful to see the interest in my bridle and the amount of people who are having success with it. I am just so pleased. Two points re fitting: 1) The upper back strap is designed to fit flush with the skin not loose like a throat latch on a traditional bridle. 2) It is important that the front nose piece is fitted high enough...it will only be an inch or two lower than where a standard cavesson noseband goes on the nose, therefore much higher than a standard dropped noseband.

So thrilled that New Zealand superstar Andrew Nicholson will be using one this weekend in the Aachen 3* on his World Games bronze medalist Nereo, having just used one at the Olympic test event at Greenwich and also the 3* at Barbury Castle. High praise indeed. Rodrigo Pessoa also won a very big class in Rome last month using one. Happy days for our horses.

GingerJumper
Jul. 15, 2011, 07:52 AM
It's wonderful to see the interest in my bridle and the amount of people who are having success with it. I am just so pleased. Two points re fitting: 1) The upper back strap is designed to fit flush with the skin not loose like a throat latch on a traditional bridle. 2) It is important that the front nose piece is fitted high enough...it will only be an inch or two lower than where a standard cavesson noseband goes on the nose, therefore much higher than a standard dropped noseband.

So thrilled that New Zealand superstar Andrew Nicholson will be using one this weekend in the Aachen 3* on his World Games bronze medalist Nereo, having just used one at the Olympic test event at Greenwich and also the 3* at Barbury Castle. High praise indeed. Rodrigo Pessoa also won a very big class in Rome last month using one. Happy days for our horses.

I've seen a few others using them at the upper levels as well, seems like a lot of horses go better in them, including my TB and my app. Wish I'd had it sooner for the first guy lol!

IFG
Jul. 15, 2011, 08:00 AM

Thank you so much for creating this bridle! My only wish is that I had discovered it during my horse's competition years. Still, it is good that he is happier in his semi-retirement, and that I have a better option for my future prospects.

My heartfelt gratitude!

Ilana Gareen

ThirdCharm
Jul. 15, 2011, 10:40 AM
Still having great rides with this bridle.... my mare's whole attitude toward flatwork has changed, and I took her xc schooling last weekend, hadn't jumped in 2 weeks or xc schooled in over two months, which would normally have meant freight train! Not that she didn't give it a swing, but I had BRAKES without really ticking her off, and she settled down nicely. Using it in a combined test tomorrow, so we'll see how it goes.....

Jennifer

scubed
Jul. 15, 2011, 10:45 AM
More and more horses in our barn are going in this bridle, especially the TBs

Mtn trails
Jul. 15, 2011, 06:32 PM
Thanks so much for responding and for creating this bridle. I was getting so frustrated with her constant teeth gnashing. I knew something was bothering her but was at a loss as to how to correct it. The difference in how she went yesterday was remarkable. I mean, she wasn't Polly Perfect, but from how she usually goes with hollowing, stiff, and resistant to soft, bending, and compliant, all I can say is my hat is off to you sir!

kiwifruit
Jul. 16, 2011, 10:01 AM
Mine is still on backorder and should be in at the end of the month. I too have a horse that is always opening his mouth, trying to get his tongue over the bit and reluctant to come thru behind. If I crank the noseband and flash, he really gets mad so I'm hoping that this bridle will be an improvement.

Mudroom
Jul. 18, 2011, 09:42 AM
I just started using one on my 16 year old eventer. We have a chronic history of being "fussy" in dressage. I was skeptical, but willing to try it based on comments here and elsewhere. I was very pleased with his reaction from day 1. On about day 3 I hauled to my weekly dressage lesson. I had emailed my coach info about the bridle in advance with a link to Micklem's website etc. Her initial approach was a skeptical "OK, we'll see", by the end of the lesson she was having me research to see if they were legal in dressage dressage so that she could try it with other horses and students.

Last weekend we did our first competition with it. Our score was 8 points better than any other score so far this year. Yes there were other factors that helped my improved performance in this comptetion too, but I feel the bridle was a major contributing factor.

By my calucaltion, if had been able to use this bridle over my 11 year eventing career with this horse I would have saved approx. 2,731 dressage penalty points and would have saved 2.4 dressage scribes from cases of carpal tunnel from having to write fussy over and over and over.

Having tried it jumping yet - that is next.
------------------------------
Upates - dressage coach has now had one of her other students order one
-Jumped with it last night for the first time, jump coach (different person) and I both saw a noticeable difference, so I now have a brown one on order to go with my new black one. Ahh vanity

kb
Jul. 18, 2011, 10:27 PM
Mine is still on backorder and should be in at the end of the month. I too have a horse that is always opening his mouth, trying to get his tongue over the bit and reluctant to come thru behind. If I crank the noseband and flash, he really gets mad so I'm hoping that this bridle will be an improvement.

Mine is on backorder too. Has been for over a month. I am sooo frustrated with the wait as my horse is also fussy with the bit. Hoping it helps....nownif only it would arrive.

DLee
Jul. 18, 2011, 10:46 PM
Mine is on backorder too. Has been for over a month. I am sooo frustrated with the wait as my horse is also fussy with the bit. Hoping it helps....nownif only it would arrive.

Where is it on backorder from? I just ordered one from SmartPak and it was also backordered but supposed to ship today.... crossing my fingers...

eponacowgirl
Jul. 18, 2011, 11:01 PM
Ok, who has the best price on the Micklem?

My mare is a full browband, cob everything else. What size should I order? Small horse and just put her regular browband on it?

canterhavenfarm
Jul. 18, 2011, 11:28 PM
Mine is on backorder too. Has been for over a month.

I ordered one on July 1st and it has not shipped yet. I ordered mine from equestrian collections and from the email I got when I inquired about the delay, their supplier was closed from July 1st-12th. So they are thinking they will get it this week and it will ship to me later in the week.

My TB goes very well, most of the time, in a happy mouth. When he gets more hot, then the head flipping can start thus I thought this would be something to try and the price was nice. Hope it arrives soon!

IFG
Jul. 19, 2011, 06:54 AM
Ok, who has the best price on the Micklem?

My mare is a full browband, cob everything else. What size should I order? Small horse and just put her regular browband on it?

My horse is similar, and the Horse works for him.

As for back-orders, that is why I own the black one. According to Adams, that brown was back-ordered from the supplier.

whicker
Jul. 19, 2011, 12:41 PM
I called the U.S. horsewares distributor and asked for a chart

Measuring from under the cheekbone across the FRONT of the face to under the opposite cheekbone

standard horse 29-31cm = 11.41- 12.2"

small horse/cob: 27-29cm =10.6-11.4"

whicker
Jul. 19, 2011, 12:47 PM
By the way, Horsewares said that they were on vacation over the July 4 weekend and then the factory was on vacation.
There are back orders from April on due to some leather that wasn't up to requirements. If there is a big shipment from the factory, then we will all get our orders....

canterhavenfarm
Jul. 19, 2011, 07:24 PM
My CC just got charged for my backorder bridle, hoping that it shipped out today!

Thanks for posting the chart. I am a bit worried that mine may be too small. When I ordered it, the website had 3 options: pony, small horse, large horse. Me, not really thinking, figured Large was warmblood and small would be regular horse. Just learned that Small horse = cob for this bridle and that a 'regular horse' size does exist. My gelding uses a horse size bridle now but on the second to the smallest hole. hoping the this small horse size is not too small.

Big_Grey_hunter
Jul. 25, 2011, 06:48 PM
I just received my 'small horse' sized micklem today, thanks smartpak. I won't have a chance to ride in it for another week, but I did get it fitted and it seems to be the right size. I got home though and realized I have two extra straps, and I have no idea where they are supposed to go :confused:

I have four of the leather pieces that attach the bit to the bridle. Why four? Am I supposed to use 2 for each side of the bit?

KaBoom!
Jul. 25, 2011, 07:04 PM
No! They are for a quick change from your dressage bit to your cross country or jumping bit. Very thoughtful don't you think? A free extra!

Big_Grey_hunter
Jul. 25, 2011, 07:09 PM
No! They are for a quick change from your dressage bit to your cross country or jumping bit. Very thoughtful don't you think? A free extra!

How nice! Thanks for your quick answer :) I only use one bit for Mr. Fussy Mouth, but I'll find somewhere safe to keep the extras for when I sell the bridle (or let horse's new owner have the bridle if they want it)

eponacowgirl
Jul. 28, 2011, 11:30 PM
I'm a believer. I got mine today in time for my evening lesson. It made a tremendous difference on my TB gelding (aka the one eyed wonder). TREMENDOUS.

I will be VERY interested to see how it works on The Diva Herself (who I actually ordered it for.)

canterhavenfarm
Jul. 28, 2011, 11:41 PM
Mine arrived yesterday, I put it together and used it during my jumper lesson. I was confused by the extra bit straps but then figured out they are extras. I reviewed how to put it together while waiting for it to arrive ( then today, I notice that it did come with instructions and those did confirm that there are 2 extra straps.) The small horse fit my TB perfectly. I was a bit worried I ordered a too small of size but it fits!

I used my happy mouth double joint snaffle with it and I will say that I am pleasantly fascinated by this bridle! I am not sure if last nights ride was just a fluke or if the Micklem Bridle does make that much of a positive difference. Generally, My OTTB is not the greatest at Right turns. He likes to make them a bit wide, a bit of buldging of the left shoulder. He then is a bit crooked to the fence, jumps, but then some head flipping after. But with the Micklem bridle, his right turns were AMAZING. He was so light and responsive. No buldging, he came right around with my body and just the slight my closing of my fingers. Zero head flipping.

I am amazed. I will keep riding in it and I have a show coming it. I will use it then too and see how it goes.

DLee
Jul. 29, 2011, 09:36 AM
Where are you guys getting yours from? I'm still waiting. :(

quietann
Jul. 29, 2011, 10:01 AM
Equestrian Collections claims to have the brown version for nearly half-price: http://www.equestriancollections.com/product.asp?groupcode=HW80197#

CallMeGrace
Jul. 29, 2011, 10:04 AM
Just ordered one from AdamsHorseSupply dot com. Saw loads of them at Pony Club Festival, and people we spoke to were very positive about them. Can't wait to see!

IFG
Jul. 29, 2011, 10:21 AM
Got it from Adams. I wanted the original, not the competition, and although I wanted the brown, I changed the order to black as the brown was on back-order. That said the EC deal looks awesome--if they have them in stock.

DLee
Jul. 29, 2011, 10:24 AM
Mine was bo'd from Smartpak, then I found the tobacco one on Adams so I switched to that and now IT'S backordered.

Auventera Two
Jul. 29, 2011, 10:34 AM
I still love my Micklem. I am about to order the black competition style. I have the brown multi-bridle style now. They run extremely small though. The cob size is too small for my dainty headed Arab. I had to punch an extra hole at the very end of the strap that goes under the jowl to make it work. I plan on replacing this one with the black in a horse size for her. I use it mostly as a bitless but have used it with an o-ring snaffle as well.

I got mine from Action Rider Tack for $156 but that was over a year ago.

My girlie and her Micklem http://www.hphoofcare.com/SweetsVicGlow.jpg

kiwifruit
Jul. 29, 2011, 01:25 PM
Okay. Glad that the OP had a miracle but I had less than stellar results. My horse went worse in the bridle than before. He has a horrible issue of getting his tongue over the bit and this bridle actually made the problem worse. Plus the jowl band is super tight but I think an oversize horse would be too big for him overall. My friend made an excellent comment as she saw me today trying to figure out how to put the whole thing together. She said, "any bridle that comes with a DVD is way too much for me." I agree. Oh well. Looks like a trip to the consigment shop is in order.

Big_Grey_hunter
Jul. 29, 2011, 01:41 PM
I still love my Micklem. I am about to order the black competition style. I have the brown multi-bridle style now. They run extremely small though. The cob size is too small for my dainty headed Arab. I had to punch an extra hole at the very end of the strap that goes under the jowl to make it work. I plan on replacing this one with the black in a horse size for her. I use it mostly as a bitless but have used it with an o-ring snaffle as well.

I got mine from Action Rider Tack for $156 but that was over a year ago.

My girlie and her Micklem http://www.hphoofcare.com/SweetsVicGlow.jpg

Such a pretty mare :) I fine the sizing doesn't really run big or small, just different. My in between horse and cob sized OTTB needed a cob. The horse sized one just fit wrong. It was fine in some places and way to big in others. The cob fits him perfeclty though, he's in the middle holes of every strap.

purplnurpl
Jul. 29, 2011, 02:31 PM
Wha seems to cause the head rubbing? My horse has to stop and rub his face on his cannons every chance he gets. I sometimes ride him in a Dr. Cooks bitless bridle, and sometimes in a regular bridle, and he does it in both. He is also notorious run away, and crown prince of, "I'm just not going to listen to you today." I've tried every bit imaginable.

There are very sensitive nerves that run behind the ears. If a horse is sensitive in that area I can bet that the nerves would cause the entire head to itch.

The Mic bridle is cut back behind the ears to relieve this pressure.

whicker
Jul. 29, 2011, 05:40 PM
I'm having fits trying to get my trak mare fitted. She has that wide forehead of a Connemarra type (17" browband and then she is short from under her cheekbones to her mouth. Quite arab looking but larger. The Cob is too small and the Standard nose band ends up so high that the bit holders are too short. I put the extra bit straps together to make longer ones to try it. She also finds the under chin and jowl straps too short.

She did like it better than anything else I have tried...I can see another trip to Journeyman's or the place in Pa. if she likes the one that is on back-order.

Any ideas why the crown is backwards from a normal ear cut back? I keep thinking that it is a misprint from their India manufacturers.. Anyone have the leather stamped with place of origin?

rbmr
Jul. 30, 2011, 12:49 AM
I got the large horse size for my 17.1 Dutch/Holsteiner gelding. His head is pretty average for a horse that big - neither refined nor jughead. The large horse Micklem is huge on him but I can buckle everything except I've had to punch 3 extra holes on the strap under the chin in front of the bit. It's hard to get it adjusted so it looks like the pictures but I did my best.

I rode him in it today and he didn't like it - very fussy. He's been rubbed before by bits and I think the drop noseband-like strap is putting too much pressure on the bit. Has anyone tried using that strap more like a cavesson - buckling it under and behind the bit straps?

Grasshopper
Jul. 30, 2011, 03:01 PM
Any ideas why the crown is backwards from a normal ear cut back? I keep thinking that it is a misprint from their India manufacturers.. Anyone have the leather stamped with place of origin?

Good question, I was wondering the same thing. Put it together after reading the directions (including the part about the direction the more cut-out side should be facing, then saw the <--front on the headstall, and I apparently had it backwards. :confused:

Have had the week from h*ll and haven't had a chance to actually try it on either horse yet, much less ride in it. I got the cob size for my TB filly with the pony-shaped head, but it looks like it may fit my older TB mare also, who tends to be kind of in between cob and horse sizes and whose head is just a bit longer than the filly's.

I was quite pleased with the leather quality, especially since I got the <$100 deal. Needs some oiling and conditioning, of course (which I'll do after I'm sure it fits one of mine), but seems like the type of leather that should supple up nicely, and the edges are all very nicely finished and the stitching tight and even.

Black Points
Jul. 30, 2011, 03:35 PM
After reading these posts I hoped that the Micklem bridle would be just the thing for my very mouthy, fussy chestnut mare. So I got one and rode in it today.

I was very pleasantly surprised that she wasn't chomping on the bit while I was walking and suppling but after trotting a few circles she had to stop and rub her face on her leg. This is a horse that's never done that and she did it 3 or 4 times in a 20 min ride and again when I got off.

She wasn't as mouthy with the bit but she didn't keep her mouth closed all the time and did some chomping. Her canter departs were actually better which I like. All in all, I didn't find the bridle to be a magic cure like I hoped but then again, I've never ridden her with a dropped noseband so maybe she was complaining about that new feeling. I also may need to make some adjustments in the fit and will work on that next time I ride her.

Just wondering if anyone else had a horse rub their face MORE when wearing this bridle.

Mary in Western NY
http://www.bpequine.com

Black Points
Aug. 4, 2011, 12:11 PM
Have now ridden my fussy chestnut TB mare in the Micklem bridle 4x and am happy to say that she is getting better and better as in not so fussy with her mouth.

Also, she hasn't rubbed her nose on her leg since that first Micklem ride. One other thing I've noticed is that she is much more willing to take contact with the bit so I actually have some "feel" in my hands. So I'm another one praising this bridle and have ordered another one for my other mare.

And for a "duh" moment....I took the heavy paper out of the package and realized it was folded. Upon opening it, I discovered a very good explanation of how to put the bridle together!

Mary in Western NY

canterhavenfarm
Aug. 4, 2011, 04:31 PM
And for a "duh" moment....I took the heavy paper out of the package and realized it was folded. Upon opening it, I discovered a very good explanation of how to put the bridle together!

Mary in Western NY

:D Same here! I read that others did not have instructions when they go theirs that I just assumed that I did not have any, then I saw I could unfold the package insert after I put it together. I felt silly!

hardrockcrossing
Sep. 15, 2011, 02:40 AM
I finally got my bridle, and am glad that I went with the standard horse. While I don't see any miraculous changes, I do see some improvement and am pleased!

On a side note, has anyone else had issues with the dye on the leather cracking? Or other leather quality issues?

vineyridge
Sep. 15, 2011, 05:41 PM
Mine was stiff as cardboard out of the package, but I treated it with that red goop with a name like Cho-cha-line and it softened up nicely. No problems with dye or cracking yet.

jackalini
Sep. 16, 2011, 12:13 AM
Firstly - thanks for the heads up on where the instructions are!!! :D

Second, while sometimes I wonder if I have the pickiest, most sensitive mare out there - god FORBID you put her in a single jointed bit or a dirty saddle pad :no: - I wasn't so sure on the bridle. However, after a 30 minute ride where she requested to stop and scratch/rub her nose 8 times, I broke down.

Shopped ebay, found a brand new competition bridle for a bargain, and bought.

And tonight, a 40 minute ride - 1...I repeat 1 (!!!!!!)....break to stop and scratch. She was generally pretty good with it all - no miracles under saddle, but not having to worry about a ninja-scratch during the free walk (oh yes - I have video of the last occurence) and all the related "OMGMYFACEITCHES" mare drama makes it all worth it. :yes:

I hate the reins, but I am a fan of the Nunn Finer soft-grip rubber reins, so that's an easy swap. We jump tomorrow, so I'll report back on that tomorrow. And I loaded it up with lederbalsam tonight while working it with my hands, and it is starting to feel quite lovely.

UPDATE: Jumped with it today - in a french link eggbut snaffle. We did WELL and I didn't get run off with. Minor miracle there. Loving this bridle!

vineyridge
Sep. 18, 2011, 09:15 AM
My Multibridle got broken, and I just looked at the break. There is a plastic strip inside the noseband between the layers of leather which would keep that piece from being as flexible as one without plastic. The D rings that hold the bit and/or the bitless option strap are held to the noseband by fabric webbing, not leather.

Repairs will be rather difficult, I think.

MightyBobbyMagee
Sep. 18, 2011, 09:45 AM
I'm still new enough to the COTH forums that I haven't learned to read every thread about things you're going to buy before buying them. I ordered a cob size for my horse; hopefully it's not too small!

MightyBobbyMagee
Sep. 21, 2011, 05:54 PM
Sooo.....anyone else trying to order one currently? SmartPak originally told me they were delayed until Sept. 16th before changing it to Oct. 10th. So I cancelled that and ordered from BoB. They said it was in stock, I ordered it and the next day they said it was delayed too.

I emailed Dover to see if they actually have one to send out and I'm waiting for an answer. Any suggestions of where else to find one that I can email and ask if they have one available?

deltawave
Sep. 21, 2011, 06:19 PM
I put one on Boscoe when he came home because he seemed hyper-reactive to EVERYTHING, and seemed to tolerate it better. He got his teeth done and some of the head-fussing and sensitivity disappeared, but now with just plain old Tincture of Time, he is acting normal and back in a plain ol' bridle. :lol: Which is good, because I still think they are butt-ugly.

Keebler legitimately LIKES and goes better in one, so he will be accomodated. Still looking for a biker-stud-type of browband to accomodate his badass personality. :D

monstrpony
Sep. 21, 2011, 09:56 PM
Those with the rubbing issue that isn't resolved by a change in bridle--you might try a bit with different metal. In particular, if you're using any kind of alloy, consider trying a plain stainless steel bit. Some horses are sensitive to slobber on their mouths, and a bit that promotes salivation can make this worse. I rode a friend's horse who was a cheek-scratcher, and the second day I used my own bridle with a stainless bit and she was better about the scratching.

That said, I think I'm going to try one of these for my sensitive red-head. He's very particular about things, and I wonder if this won't help with the unsteady contact/behind the bit issues.

Janet
Sep. 22, 2011, 12:25 AM
In particular, if you're using any kind of alloy, consider trying a plain stainless steel bit. .
Perhaps you mean "try a different alloy".

Stainless steel is, by definition, an alloy.

monstrpony
Sep. 22, 2011, 07:38 AM
Janet's right; I stand corrected. What I really meant is to try something that is less reactive to equine saliva (so, I suppose, plastic is an option here). It's the reaction that prompts salivation that could be an issue for these horses.

Jealoushe
Sep. 22, 2011, 10:12 AM
Anyone know where to purchase one in Ontario? Maybe even upstate NY as I could cross the border.

scubed
Sep. 22, 2011, 10:32 AM
Keebler legitimately LIKES and goes better in one, so he will be accomodated. Still looking for a biker-stud-type of browband to accomodate his badass personality.

buy these and just put them on the Micklem:
http://studsandspikes.com/buy/spike-4-side-pyramid-size-13-silver-bag-of-100.html

JER
Sep. 22, 2011, 11:26 AM
Does anyone have the pony size Micklem?

I'm thinking about getting one for my Evil Pony as he needs something new and decent, for when he gets less Evil.

He's 14.1hh and actually a KWPNxArab that didn't grow. His head is short and Araby, with a wide forehead. Current bridle is either pony or cob, I can't really tell for sure.

From what's been posted here, it sounds like the cob fits a small/average horse, which makes me think it would be too big for him.

Also, given that most people don't seem to use/need the clips or cavesson ring, should I get the regular or competition model?

Napoles
Sep. 22, 2011, 12:14 PM
Cavesson ring is very handy for lunging if you need to release a few buckaroos before getting on board. :yes:

The clips can be taken off completely, so for me it's the Multibridle as it has more functions when you are dealing with daft young ones and they can be removed if you don't want them. :)

RAyers
Sep. 22, 2011, 01:06 PM
Anyone know where to purchase one in Ontario? Maybe even upstate NY as I could cross the border.

Transporting a Miklem across state lines for nefarious purposes is illegal in the US.

Reed

IFG
Sep. 24, 2011, 08:00 PM
Does anyone have the pony size Micklem?

I'm thinking about getting one for my Evil Pony as he needs something new and decent, for when he gets less Evil.

He's 14.1hh and actually a KWPNxArab that didn't grow. His head is short and Araby, with a wide forehead. Current bridle is either pony or cob, I can't really tell for sure.

From what's been posted here, it sounds like the cob fits a small/average horse, which makes me think it would be too big for him.

Also, given that most people don't seem to use/need the clips or cavesson ring, should I get the regular or competition model?

My 15.2 hand OTTB has a reall wide forehead and needs a horse size, so I would go with the cob (small horse).

JER
Sep. 24, 2011, 08:20 PM
My 15.2 hand OTTB has a reall wide forehead and needs a horse size, so I would go with the cob (small horse).

Thanks. That's the info I was looking for.

My 3YO OTTB will probably fit the regular horse size. He's about 16.2hh and has a long, narrow TB head. He's currently in a 15 year-old bridle with reins that got gnawed on by a rat. Functional but not pretty at all.

:)

MightyBobbyMagee
Sep. 26, 2011, 08:06 AM
I just got the cob size for my TB who has never fit in a standard horse size regular bridle and it was waaay too small. I couldn't buckle either of the straps. Sending it back for the standard size.

hardrockcrossing
Sep. 26, 2011, 03:14 PM
I'm glad I took the advice here and bought the standard horse size for my 15.3 TB. I would consider his face more refined and in other bridles has been in the smallest holes of a standard.

GreyDes
Sep. 26, 2011, 11:59 PM
JER - I bought (after reading the advice here...) a cob size for my 14hh Arab. He has a fairly refined head, and is usually in a pony size bridle with a cob browband, or a cob with an extra hole or two punched to make the cheeks short enough

There is NO way a pony size would have fit. Because of the design, you can't really swap the cheekpieces for shorter ones. I ended up punching one extra hole to make the cheeks a bit smaller, and two holes to make the strap that goes under the jowl larger.

I got the competition model. I don't lunge much, and it's much more refined looking.

IFG
Sep. 27, 2011, 07:59 AM
As to the Multibridle vs. the Competition Bridle. I have both (I know that I have a tack problem, but it was on sale for half off, and I hate changing from our dressage to our trail bit).

I actually prefer the Multibridle. They are both nice, but the Multibridle is a bit thicker, and, I think, a bit more comfortable for my horse.

Painted Wings
Sep. 28, 2011, 12:50 AM
I didn't have a miracle with my mare but she was very fussy with the bit and is much better now. I have the black competition bridle and have gotten lots of compliments on it at shows from people.

The clips are not legal for showing dressage or eventing but the competition bridle is legal without the clips.

I actually had the judge stop me before my test a couple of weeks ago to look at my bridle as she thought she saw the clips on it.

My horse also went better without the clips than with. She is a 15.2 hand half TB paint. The cob fits her but she's on the last hole on the noseband. The horse size fits her better. I think the sizing runs true to size to maybe a little small so if your horse is on the cusp, order the larger size.

I've found Adams to usually have them in stock and have a good price. Although the Equestrian Collections price has me tempted to order a brown one.

JER
Sep. 28, 2011, 01:14 AM
JER - I bought (after reading the advice here...) a cob size for my 14hh Arab. He has a fairly refined head, and is usually in a pony size bridle with a cob browband, or a cob with an extra hole or two punched to make the cheeks short enough

This sounds like my pony, although I'd call his head 'cartoon pony' rather than 'refined.' Wide forehead with big, pretty, girly eyes. And he's a boy. He also has a poofy mane that can be easily turned into a Jedward (http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01531/Jedward_1531117c.jpg)-style quiff.

:)

Miichelle
Sep. 29, 2011, 10:35 AM
So who currently has the best price on a large horse Competition bridle in black?

Painted Wings
Sep. 29, 2011, 10:41 PM
I think Adams probably does.

http://www.adamshorsesupply.com/browse.cfm/rambo-micklem-competition-bridle-w-rubber-reins/4,8813.html

By the way, I don't like the reins they come with. But then I'm not a big fan of rubber reins anyway. I replaced mine with dressage type leather reins.

maryquiryp
Sep. 29, 2011, 11:53 PM
I think they're pretty unattractive, but in desperation to find a bridle to fit Keebler's astoundingly large and pointy cheekbones, I tried one. Lo and behold, it fits him like a custom bridle, tucking just below his Schwarzenegger-like chiseled facial features like nothing else. :D

He immediately became less obsessed with rubbing his face on his foreleg every chance he got, and random head-flinging (while still there) is also much, much less frequent. Can't say it has made him any easier, but I do think it's made him more comfortable. :)

Several horses in our barn use one. I am really liking it on my new guy. Is it a miracle for us? No, but it is super helpful in keeping him steadier and preventing him pulling and rooting when he gets tired and doesn't want to hold himself up. It also prevents rubs behind his sensitive TB ears. I really like them.

Miichelle
Sep. 30, 2011, 11:06 AM
Thanks, Painted Wings. :) Has anyone had to have the cheek piece buckles moved down to get a correct fit? My boy is a Arab/Percheron & has a BIG Araby head. He usually fit's in a large reg. horse or small OS (if that makes sence)depending on the bridle.

Zoomd
Sep. 30, 2011, 07:04 PM
OK, I read through most of these pages, and hope I didn't just miss is somewhere.... Is the competition bridle legal for FEI competitions? Eventing dressage, specifically.

jackalini
Sep. 30, 2011, 10:56 PM
Zoomd, yes - the competition bridle is legal for eventing dressage as long as it does not have the bit clips on it.

What I'd like to know is if it is legal to use the bit clips for the jumping phases. Anyone know?

William Ireland
Oct. 1, 2011, 12:17 PM
Yes the Micklem bridle is approved for the dressage phase in FEI competitions and for pure dressage in most countries...and yes it is legal to use the bit clips in the jumping phases. The clips reduce pressure on the tongue, although personally I tend to use the clips with the young horses as a precaution and at home when schooling, then as the horse accepts the bit willingly I take the clips off. Check out this link for a good facebook pic with added value for the bridle...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tredstep-Ireland/197769320253114

Miichelle
Oct. 1, 2011, 01:11 PM
Here's a marketing suggestion (since William Micklem posts here), sell the bridle & reins separately. Reins are a personal thing, MANY people have said they've switched out the reins. I, for one, won't part with my Thinline reins & would LOVE to save $!

woodstock
Oct. 3, 2011, 02:02 PM
Hoping you all can help- read all the micklem bridle posts on COTH and didn't see an answer.
Trying to decide between the multi version and the competition. Am I correct in understanding that the competition version does not come with the "bit free" straps and can only be used with a bit, "out of the box" so to speak? If that is the case, is it possible to purchase the straps separately as an add-on? Or, has anyone had the straps made "after market" by the local tack shop?
Trying to determine whether I will later regret purchasing the competition, even though I don't see the need for bit free option right now (i.e. on the next horse- will I wish I had a bit free option).

Thanks for the help!

Big_Grey_hunter
Oct. 3, 2011, 08:08 PM
Hoping you all can help- read all the micklem bridle posts on COTH and didn't see an answer.
Trying to decide between the multi version and the competition. Am I correct in understanding that the competition version does not come with the "bit free" straps and can only be used with a bit, "out of the box" so to speak? If that is the case, is it possible to purchase the straps separately as an add-on? Or, has anyone had the straps made "after market" by the local tack shop?
Trying to determine whether I will later regret purchasing the competition, even though I don't see the need for bit free option right now (i.e. on the next horse- will I wish I had a bit free option).

Thanks for the help!

The competition version does not have the bit-free options, and I'm pretty sure they can't be purchased separately. If you won't be showing, I'd get the multi bridle just for the added options. However, if you plan on showing in it, remember you can't show in the multi-bridle.

ake987
Oct. 3, 2011, 09:59 PM

Thanks for the help!

You could still use it as a side pull, out of the box, and you could probably either find or replicate the straps that make it work like a Dr. Cook's bitless bridle, and that would also work. It just doesn't come with the straps, I believe for legal reasons in the US (similarities with Dr. Cook's, IIRC), and it does not have the D-ring on the noseband.

IFG
Oct. 4, 2011, 12:23 PM
The competition version does not have the bit-free options, and I'm pretty sure they can't be purchased separately. If you won't be showing, I'd get the multi bridle just for the added options. However, if you plan on showing in it, remember you can't show in the multi-bridle.

Are you sure that you cannot show in the multi-bridle? The only difference if you are riding with a bit and avoid the clips in the ring on the nose. Does that make it illegal for showing?

MightyBobbyMagee
Oct. 4, 2011, 12:42 PM
Are you sure that you cannot show in the multi-bridle? The only difference if you are riding with a bit and avoid the clips in the ring on the nose. Does that make it illegal for showing?

:yes: That's why they came out with the competition style--to make it legal to show in.

woodstock
Oct. 4, 2011, 02:14 PM

I think you are right IFG. It is my understanding that so long as you 1) use a bit and 2) don't use the bit clips with the multi version, it will be legal (for dressage/eventing/jumpers- can't say with respect to hunters). This is the whole reason I struggle with which version I want. If the multi wasn't legal, I likely wouldn't be considering it at all.

Thanks for the answers everyone. Still struggling to decide. Keep thinking it makes more sense to get the competition version (as it comes with reins and looks a bit nicer) and seek out the bitless parts (through Micklem or otherwise) at a later date.

Big_Grey_hunter
Oct. 4, 2011, 08:01 PM

Yes. Technically, the multi-bridle is a lunging caveson and is NOT legal to show in. That's why they came out with the competition one, to make it legal for showing in

ThirdCharm
Oct. 5, 2011, 11:01 AM
So, if one removed the dee on the noseband--which is for longeing-- the non-competition version would be legal to show in?

Jennifer

Zephyr
Oct. 5, 2011, 04:28 PM
My understanding is that the only difference is the longeing "D" on the multi.

Neither bridle can be sold with the bitless straps in the U.S. b/c of patents on the Dr. Cook's Bitless Bridle. In the UK, they sell it with the bitless straps.

But you can still attach reins to the existing loops for a very mild bitless version, I think.

eventer_mi
Oct. 5, 2011, 04:56 PM
You can definitely show in the multibridle - I did, before I got a competition one. The comp version is made of nicer leather (lined and padded), and it doesn't come in a bitless option, plus it doesn't have that cavesson ring. I know a lot of people who just cut off the cavesson ring before they made the comp version. As long as the bit is attached to the bridle with leather or leatherlike material, you can use either.

woodstock
Oct. 6, 2011, 08:48 AM
Well, I finally decided upon the competition version. Should get here in the next week or so- can't wait to try it. Ordered from equestriancollections.com (think someone else posted this info- but they have the apparently discontinued tobacco color on sale for $95).

And just a PSA, if someone is looking for the multi version, KBC Horse Supplies (www.kbchorsesupplies.com) has it for $139.95. Having researched, this is the cheapest I've seen the multi listed. Adam's will match the price (I checked with them), but will add to the price the amount KBC would charge for shipping (in my case it was $14).

KarenRO
Oct. 8, 2011, 03:32 PM
Just tried the competition model today and here are my observations.

Sizing: Both of my horses wear cob-size Vespucci bridles (identical model). Strangely, the Micklem small horse/cob only fits the smaller horse's head and then just barely, in terms of the throat strap and strap that completes the 'noseband.' My package had two extra bit straps so I may put them to use extending the throat and nose straps for the smaller horse but I definitely have to order a regular horse size for my larger horse.

Behavior: The smaller horse, a registered Morgan, constantly grinds on her bit regardless of what type of bit you put in her mouth. She will not tolerate a flash or a snug noseband. She is sensitive (er, hot) and I often think the bit grinding is just nervousness but from what, I've never been able to determine. I have been lunging her in supportive side reins for the past 3 weeks to get her back in shape so my experience with the Micklem is from the ground and not from the saddle.

She did not grind on the bit in the Micklem nor did she do her usual alternating between carrying her head very high (giraffe on crack imitation) and putting her head almost in between her knees (the curl back and eat dirt evasion). She did not open her mouth once and she had nice 'lipstick' within one circle.

I will use the Micklem tomorrow and see if I get the same happy horse but at the moment, I feel that the unique design may be what my mare needs.

KarenRO

Bogie
Oct. 8, 2011, 03:38 PM
I bought the Micklem bridle when it still came with all the bitless parts and the extra straps can easily be made for you.

If you email William Micklem, he will (I believe) send you the dimensions.

You can still use the bridle as a sidepull as for that you attach your reins directly to the bridle.

I think the competition version is much more elegant. I foxhunt and it's not an issue but if I were going to buy one now, I'd buy the competition version.

Miichelle
Oct. 14, 2011, 01:01 AM
There's a used Micklem bridle for sale on ebay. For those of you in the know, is it an old version or knock off, it only buckles on one side (which would make adjustment difficult)? I'm on my phone so can't post a link but it's the only Micklem on Ebay.

ohrebecca
Oct. 14, 2011, 01:44 AM
Just tried the competition model today and here are my observations.

Sizing: Both of my horses wear cob-size Vespucci bridles (identical model). Strangely, the Micklem small horse/cob only fits the smaller horse's head and then just barely, in terms of the throat strap and strap that completes the 'noseband.' My package had two extra bit straps so I may put them to use extending the throat and nose straps for the smaller horse but I definitely have to order a regular horse size for my larger horse.

Behavior: The smaller horse, a registered Morgan, constantly grinds on her bit regardless of what type of bit you put in her mouth. She will not tolerate a flash or a snug noseband. She is sensitive (er, hot) and I often think the bit grinding is just nervousness but from what, I've never been able to determine. I have been lunging her in supportive side reins for the past 3 weeks to get her back in shape so my experience with the Micklem is from the ground and not from the saddle.

She did not grind on the bit in the Micklem nor did she do her usual alternating between carrying her head very high (giraffe on crack imitation) and putting her head almost in between her knees (the curl back and eat dirt evasion). She did not open her mouth once and she had nice 'lipstick' within one circle.

I will use the Micklem tomorrow and see if I get the same happy horse but at the moment, I feel that the unique design may be what my mare needs.

KarenRO

Your post is making me think I need one of these for my mare, too, but I'm nervous about sizing. She's 15.1 and wears a cob bridle, but I've heard the Micklem runs a little small, so maybe I should go up to a horse size?

IFG
Oct. 14, 2011, 08:10 AM
I wouldn't get the Ebay bridle. IMHO, adjusting the Micklem on one side doesn't work very well because of the design.

Big_Grey_hunter
Oct. 14, 2011, 08:36 AM
Your post is making me think I need one of these for my mare, too, but I'm nervous about sizing. She's 15.1 and wears a cob bridle, but I've heard the Micklem runs a little small, so maybe I should go up to a horse size?

I still say it depends more on shape then size. My 15.3 TB can wear or a horse or cob bridle, and the 'small horse' micklem fits him perfectly. The horse size one just hung on him, it was WAY too big

Napoles
Oct. 14, 2011, 08:50 AM
You can of course use the Multibridle in competition. I do, regularly. The little plastic clips are removable and the only thing that is different then (apart from the leather quality) is the little ring on the noseband, which is only for lunging, so has no effect on the bridle while riding.

Miichelle
Oct. 14, 2011, 09:31 AM
I wouldn't get the Ebay bridle. IMHO, adjusting the Micklem on one side doesn't work very well because of the design. I agree, but is it real or a knock off? I've never seen one that only adjusts on one side.

Carol Ames
Oct. 14, 2011, 11:23 AM
If only I had known this 20 years ago!:lol:

ohrebecca
Oct. 16, 2011, 08:44 AM
I still say it depends more on shape then size. My 15.3 TB can wear or a horse or cob bridle, and the 'small horse' micklem fits him perfectly. The horse size one just hung on him, it was WAY too big

The only iffy part on a cob bridle for her is the noseband, as she is deceptively thick through the jaw there. The rest of it fits perfectly. So maybe I'll just stick with the cob size! If all else fails and it doesn't fit, I can just sell it on ebay :-P

Big_Grey_hunter
Oct. 16, 2011, 10:18 AM
The only iffy part on a cob bridle for her is the noseband, as she is deceptively thick through the jaw there. The rest of it fits perfectly. So maybe I'll just stick with the cob size! If all else fails and it doesn't fit, I can just sell it on ebay :-P

The leather stretches a fair amount on the straps, so if you can get it on the first hole now, you should be fine.

ohrebecca
Oct. 16, 2011, 10:27 AM
Thanks - I'm convinced :D Now just to rework the budget to allow for it, when I already have 3 bridles :X

ohrebecca
Oct. 21, 2011, 10:28 PM
Bit the bullet and ordered it on Eq. Collections - here's to hoping it works for us!

Edited to add that in the past month, between a new-to-me saddle/new fittings and now the bridle, I have spent *almost* as much on tack as the dang horse cost in the first place! :-P

Big_Grey_hunter
Oct. 21, 2011, 10:48 PM
My micklem-wearing horse is out of commission for most of the winter, so o for curiosity's sake I tried the Micklem on the other two.
The first one gave me the finger and the ride was a bit "interesting" He wears a regular caveson adjusted so loosely it's barely touching him, so apparently having a snug strap in front of the bit was NOT cool. :lol:
The second gelding seemed to like it. I doubt I'll keep in it, especially for shows. He goes fine in a regular bridle, so once lame horse is back in commission, I'll go back to his regular crank flash bridle (which does have a monocrown). He seemed a bit softer and suppler, but he's new to me so I could just be riding him better.

Why is it that I've seen other horses look fine in the Micklem, but it looks REALLY bad on all three of mine?

CBudFrggy
Oct. 22, 2011, 09:57 PM
and what I noticed most was that my horse did NOT ask me to rub his cheeks when we were finished riding.

Let me back up to say that I haven't ridden in 3 weeks due to weather, truck breaking down, weather and horse injuries...and I also tried out our new saddle. Therefore, I had a very fresh horse beneath me, who REALLY wanted to get off the farm for a gallop. So we did....get off the farm and go gallop.

Then we came back and were doing some light trot work in the ring. I maybe only rode for 30-45 minutes. The first ten (out, gallop and back) I didn't really notice any bit-holding-face-in-the-bridle improvement, but the last 10 I did.

And the saddle fits the horse--wish it had more forward flaps though. Better than what we had before though. All in all a successful ride. :)

Hampton Bay
Oct. 22, 2011, 11:49 PM
Has anyone ordered one from Equestrian Collections recently? I've heard horror stories about them, so wondering if they are still shipping them for that price.

ohrebecca
Oct. 22, 2011, 11:52 PM
Has anyone ordered one from Equestrian Collections recently? I've heard horror stories about them, so wondering if they are still shipping them for that price.

I *just* ordered one yesterday, so I'll let you know if it pans out or not!

hardrockcrossing
Oct. 23, 2011, 12:06 AM
I ordered mine from them...and had the price spontaneously change while the bridle was in my shopping cart! I called their customer service and they changed the price back for me. It took a while to get here, but things usually take a long time to get to CA from the east coast. I had issues with the leather quality on my bridle and called their customer service again...they got in touch with the manufacturers, who agreed to send me another one, although they were currently out of stock. Nancy in the Equestrian Collections customer service office called me when the Micklem was back in stock, sent me a label for free return shipping, and let me keep my current bridle until the new one came in the mail (charged me for the new one, to be refunded for the old one when they receive it in the mail).

So, overall, I'd say good experience, pending refund for the first bridle!

Hampton Bay
Oct. 23, 2011, 12:24 AM
Of course I need more tack like I need a hole in the head. Just wondering if it might help with my gelding who doesn't like to soften or bend in the canter, especially to the right. Saddles fit, etc. He's always been chompy and busy with his mouth.

CBudFrggy
Oct. 23, 2011, 08:07 AM
I ordered mine last Sunday and it was here Thursday. The price was still $94.95, plus 14.something shipping. I couldn't have been more pleased with ordering from there.

woodstock
Oct. 28, 2011, 09:37 AM
So- was looking at Chronicle online pictures from the Pan Am Games. Look like Rodrigo Pessoa is using a Micklem Competition on HH Ashley. Cool!

See: Horse Shows » 2011 Pan American Games Show Jumping Gold Medal Win- Click through a few pictures.

eventer_mi
Oct. 28, 2011, 07:52 PM
My boy in his Micklem at a recognized show, where we placed second after dressage in some very tough competition : http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2868814510053515467QpMkqq

Here he is in his jumping bridle: http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2876921430053515467niqnJd

I know I posted a few threads ago about not noticing a difference with one, but after all the glowing reviews I found one on sale and thought I'd try it again, and now he has TWO Micklems - one for jumping and one for dressage.

Like Deltawave, I still think they could be prettier, so I swapped out the browband and reins, and I'm getting used to the way it looks on his lovely head. What do y'all think?

FWIW, Oliver takes a cob bridle except for the browband and cheeks, and he's in a regular horse sized Micklem with a hole to spare. He's also another fussy one that likes to curl behind the bridle and get his poll too low, and can go from uber light to heavy and pulling from one stride to the next. The Micklem seems to have eliminated almost all of his issues.

deltawave
Oct. 29, 2011, 08:45 AM
The Micklem seems to have eliminated almost all of his issues.

Give us an update in a few months . . . I am always pretty skeptical when a piece of tack is credited with almost instantly erasing what years of schooling hasn't. :lol: I still will use mine on Keebler (with the biker browband) because it just fits his pointy cheekbones best, but all my other horses, in the end, have been indifferent. FWIW. I wonder if just the fact that it's a slightly different "feel" makes horses temporarily behave differently, and that with time and familiarity it becomes "just another bridle" to them.

MightyBobbyMagee
Oct. 29, 2011, 10:59 AM
Re: to sizing. I haven't seen this posted in the last few pages, so for those still looking to buy one, here's what the tag on the bridle says:

Large Horse - 16.2h Large Head Upwards (168cm upwards)
Standard Horse - 14.2hh Large Head to 16.3hh Fine Head (148cm-172cm)
Small Horse/Cob - 13.2hh Large Head to 15.2hh Fine Head (138cm-158cm)
Pony - 13.2hh Large Head Downwards (138cm downwards)

I haven't seen a miracle in my horse, but he does seem to get down to business much more quickly and isn't so quick to turn into a tense mess. Plus, I kind of like how they look. :)

eventer_mi
Oct. 29, 2011, 12:17 PM
Give us an update in a few months . . . I am always pretty skeptical when a piece of tack is credited with almost instantly erasing what years of schooling hasn't. :lol: I still will use mine on Keebler (with the biker browband) because it just fits his pointy cheekbones best, but all my other horses, in the end, have been indifferent. FWIW. I wonder if just the fact that it's a slightly different "feel" makes horses temporarily behave differently, and that with time and familiarity it becomes "just another bridle" to them.

It's actually been a couple of months since I bought them (Five Points was early September, and he had it a few weeks before that) and I can only say that now that he's staying true in the bridle, his topline has improved dramatically. Greg, the magikal bodywork guy, was surprised at how evenly he's muscled up, and Dom, my trainer who I only see once a month mentioned that his entire topline looked more rounded and stronger in a minth's time.

No, the Micklem isn't "magikal", but since it doesn't irritate my sensitive boy's head like other bridles do, it's enabled to work him without all that evasion and therefore, he's gotten stronger as a result, which allows him to work even MORE correctly, thus creating this lovely cycle of improvement. Pre-Micklem he was always tting dinged for "poll-low"; well, you see the difference in the post-Micklem. Same horse, same trainer, same rider. I think there's enough of a difference WITH THIS PARTICULAR HORSE (caps added for emphasis- in no way am I saying that it will radically change every horse's way of going) to justify a) the expense of buying two and b) the hideousness of the bridle when I much prefer my lovely Five Star Saddlery flash ;). HTH!

William Ireland
Oct. 29, 2011, 05:18 PM
Yes great to see Rodrigo Pessoa using my bridle at the Pan American Games. He has been using them for most of this season and I am obviously so very pleased.....high praise indeed. Although ideally his horse at the Pan Ams would have suited a Small Horse size and should be fitted a little higher. Keeping the front nose piece higher is a key part of the bridle and both it's comfort and effectiveness.

As it is to the benefit of the horse I have to share another Micklem bridle story with you. Irish international rider and senior team member Joseph Murphy used one on the ex Mark Todd ride Chuckelberry at Boekelo last month in the show jumping...having never used one before on the horse! The positive result was immediate with a lovely clear round. Said Joseph "he is not an easy horse but for the first time I was able to ride forwards down to the fences with no difficulty. I am going to keep the Micklem on him now and I intend to use it on my other horses."

Then to cap this special day mark Todd came up to me to say that he had used the bridle at Burghley this year on Major Milestone (I had no idea he had) and that "without doubt it made a difference." I am still smiling!

Foxtrot's
Oct. 29, 2011, 05:38 PM
In the interests of marketing transparency: were these riders paid / were the bridles donated?

William Ireland
Oct. 30, 2011, 07:07 AM
To answer the question re how these riders got their Micklem bridles....Joseph Murphy asked me for a bridle having seen it being used by Andrew Nicholson at the Greenwich Olympic test event and by Aidan Keogh at Boekelo. Mark Todd borrowed his from the USA owner of his barn and Rodrigo Pessoa was given one to try at Wellington last year. The important thing is that these riders want to use them because they find them effective. I am still smiling!

Auburn
Oct. 30, 2011, 09:11 AM
William Ireland,

I am smiling, because you are to be the speaker at the MSEDA awards banquet in Kentucky next January. :D

Will you be bringing your bridle to show us how it can be effective for our horses?

Mary King will be speaking at the Area8 banquet the weekend before you speak.

Both of you are something for which to look forward in January. :yes:

I am hoping for a Micklem Competiton Bridle for Christmas.

William Ireland
Oct. 30, 2011, 01:26 PM
Yes I am really looking forward to my USA visit and my presentations at the MSEDA .....and yes will bring along a Micklem bridle .... and also a few surprises including The GO! Rules, which is where the Micklem bridle and my book and my coaching all spring from. See you in January!

annikak
Oct. 30, 2011, 10:32 PM
Well, not one to usually jump on a band wagon, I did get one. And thus far, very pleased. The horse ( described here on CoTH earlier this year) twists his head and really plays with the bit. I think it's left over track- but don't know. Extensive teeth work,Body work, shoes behind-things are much better, but he'd still fish-eye me at times. (think flounder...)

Put him in the bridle-which I felt very silly reading line by line (and still am not sure I have it right) and replaced his D ring with a hollow mouth O ring. He was much quieter-and straighter-at least mostly. Muscle memory is hard to break. Lol.

My issue? This sucker is a whole lotta horse when he's in the bridle. Zowie. It's strange, because he was happily in front of my leg but not above the bridle as he is wont to do. therefore, he was able to come thru- like the hand brake was off. So, I had a few...do i have brakes? Moments, and I did. Very light, and def in front of my leg. His focus stayed away from the bride, came back to his body and...well, da boys got some power.

Now to watch the DVD.

Would it work with my severly parrot mouthed horse I wonder??

Flying Ponies
Oct. 31, 2011, 12:20 AM
Anyone use it with a full cheek snaffle?

very interesting thread....I was considering a Micklem bridle in an attempt to ease some of my mare's fussiness, intermittently opens mouth, contact evasion etc. Noseband is always loose, she does have a thick soft palate.... I ended up switching to a slim double jointed full cheek snaffle + keepers and she has really smoothed out, I think she likes the little bit of poll pressure it affords...

So my question now is, does anyone use the Micklem with a full cheek snaffle with keepers? Can you even get keepers onto this bridle?

Eventer_Mi it looks like you used a full cheek in one of your pics, but I didn't see keepers on the bit. Did you use keepers on the full cheek prior to the Micklem? any difference in behavior? Thanks!

eventer_mi
Oct. 31, 2011, 08:13 AM
Anyone use it with a full cheek snaffle?
Eventer_Mi it looks like you used a full cheek in one of your pics, but I didn't see keepers on the bit. Did you use keepers on the full cheek prior to the Micklem? any difference in behavior? Thanks!

I had to go back and look at the pics - I couldn't remember what bit he had on in the jumping pic (even though I use it all the time when jumping...:rolleyes:). Yup, that's a full cheek, and yes, I use it without keepers - always have. I don't think the "poll pressure" it supposedly has makes any difference at all - at least, to this horse. I use the full-cheek mostly for steering purposes. It's a Stubben EZ control bit - so is his loose-ring for dressage - -and I loff it. He's only gotten softer and easier to rate with this bit, and the combination of Micklem and EZ control makes for a very soft and supple and happy horse.

So, long answer to your question, no, I don't notice a difference between keepers and no keepers, but I was using this bit prior to the Micklem and there is a gradual softness in the bridle over time with this combination, so I'm very happy indeed. In fact, he doesn't even really need a martingale anymore, since he doesn't grab, invert, and pull in front of the jumps. HTH!

ohrebecca
Oct. 31, 2011, 08:42 AM
Mine should be delivered today - so excited! I won't get a chance to try it out till Thursday though, boo.

mackandblues
Oct. 31, 2011, 11:30 PM
I sucked it up and ordered one for each of my horses (different head sizes). Hopefully it will help with my mare's flapping tongue and with my gelding's random head flipping (or maybe he just likes to fling his slobber on me).

Flying Ponies
Nov. 1, 2011, 12:59 AM
eventer_mi thanks for your reply.Sounds like you found a very good combo for your horse. I may look into the Stubben bit you mentioned. I think I will order the Micklem soon and just see what happens...

IFG
Nov. 1, 2011, 12:49 PM
Deltawave and others, a check-in after several months. I still love the Micklem. In fact, I bought a second from Equestrian Collections at the low price for my trail bit (we are retired from jumping due to soundness issues. Does he have some bad days, yes, but overall, he is so much more willing to go to the bit with the Micklem. It is a pleasure.

ohrebecca
Nov. 3, 2011, 07:27 PM
First ride on the mare with the new Micklem, and it was hard to gauge because to be honest, I haven't really been working her consistently this past year. BUT, I did feel *some* difference, enough to continue working her in it and see what happens :)

dangerbunny
Nov. 3, 2011, 11:40 PM
I think I would like to try one, Joy might be more comfortable and happy in it. She is always shaking her head, and itching it, she used to be terrible when I rode in her old bridle, slightly better in the padded dressage bridle I use now but still really fussy about it. I kind of chalked it to her being impatient and fussy but now I am starting to wonder.

Toadie's mom
Nov. 6, 2011, 01:22 PM
I got the std. horse sz. and it barely fits. Headstall, browband and cheek pieces are fine, but the straps that go under the jaw and chin are almost too small. Anyone gotten, or compared, the std. and lg. horse bridles (competition style)? If so, how much bigger is the lg. horse? I have a 50 mile drive to Dover's in Dallas, so if it's WAY bigger I'll just make do with this one. :(

poltroon
Nov. 6, 2011, 01:36 PM
I got the std. horse sz. and it barely fits. Headstall, browband and cheek pieces are fine, but the straps that go under the jaw and chin are almost too small. Anyone gotten, or compared, the std. and lg. horse bridles (competition style)? If so, how much bigger is the lg. horse? I have a 50 mile drive to Dover's in Dallas, so if it's WAY bigger I'll just make do with this one. :(

It would be great to have exact measurements for each area available, especially since you can't just swap pieces around from an existing bridle. :) Trying to size a head from the height at the withers is silly!

Toadie's mom
Nov. 6, 2011, 03:59 PM
It would be great to have exact measurements for each area available, especially since you can't just swap pieces around from an existing bridle. :) Trying to size a head from the height at the withers is silly!
Yeah, I should have known this would be a problem. His current bridle is pieced together from 3 different ones! Just called Dover and, of course they don't have a lg. horse in black. I could have those 2 straps replaced, but at almost $200 already that doesn't sound appealing:no:.

Miichelle
Nov. 6, 2011, 05:56 PM
Toadie's mom, what shape head does your horse have? My guy has an average length head but a wide brow, prominent cheek bones, and a large jaw. From all I've read, the horse size is going to be too small but I'm afraid that the cheeks are going to be to long on the large horse. I can always have the cheeks shortened but I hate to do that after paying so much for a bridle that I'm going to swap out the reins on already. If he likes his bridle I'll have to buy a brown one for jumping/CC. He's only a little over 16hh but Arab/Percheron and a difficult fit for ALL of his tack, blankets, etc.

betonbill
Nov. 6, 2011, 07:40 PM
I know that this sounds absolutely ridiculous with a $200 bridle, but if the jaw strap is a bit short, don't we all have extra cheek pieces or flash straps lying around? Punch some holes in it, cut to fit and make an extender strap. Not pretty but it might get the job done.

I'm saving my pennies. A girl in the barn bought one, didn't fit her jowly QH so she returned it. But before she did I got to try it on my TB, so at least I know what size fits him. Seemed to have enough room to adjust it to fit the other TB, but if the jowl turns out to be a problem, I'll try the extension described above.

Toadie's mom
Nov. 6, 2011, 07:43 PM
Toadie's mom, what shape head does your horse have? My guy has an average length head but a wide brow, prominent cheek bones, and a large jaw. From all I've read, the horse size is going to be too small but I'm afraid that the cheeks are going to be to long on the large horse. I can always have the cheeks shortened but I hate to do that after paying so much for a bridle that I'm going to swap out the reins on already. If he likes his bridle I'll have to buy a brown one for jumping/CC. He's only a little over 16hh but Arab/Percheron and a difficult fit for ALL of his tack, blankets, etc.
You are describing my horse's head exactly. That's what I'm afraid of with the lg. horse sz., that the cheek pieces will be too long. I think I'm going to hold off using this one, and go back to Dover next weekend. I'll compare the two laid out together and get back to you.

Miichelle
Nov. 6, 2011, 09:42 PM
I think I'll hold off buying until I hear what you decide, Toadie's mom. I'm also concerned that, in my guys case, if I used extenders that the nose piece would be too short and pull the cheek pieces too far forward. I'd rather shorten the cheeks if that's what it takes to get a correct fit. Unfortunately, I'm used to nothing fitting Jasper correctly without having to tweek it. He'd be a rotten resale prospect, I'd have to sell all his tack with him. :)

Miichelle
Nov. 6, 2011, 11:36 PM
I've been thinking about it and think I should try my gelding in a flash before buying a Micklem. He's never been in anything but a plain cavason. I'd rather know if he HATES a strap in front of the bit BEFORE I spend a bunch on a new bridle...

PNWjumper
Nov. 7, 2011, 01:51 AM
I've been thinking about it and think I should try my gelding in a flash before buying a Micklem. He's never been in anything but a plain cavason. I'd rather know if he HATES a strap in front of the bit BEFORE I spend a bunch on a new bridle...

My horse HATES a flash and also hates a figure 8 noseband. But he loves the Miklem with the strap in front of the bit. So I wouldn't make any assumptions based on how he reacts to a flash.

William Ireland
Nov. 9, 2011, 11:48 AM
The thing about a typically tight flash noseband or cavesson and some figure eight nosebands (depending how fitted) is that they squash the motor and sensory nerves that exit onto the surface of the skull just under where a cavesson fits in front of the protruding cheek bone....this pressure can numb the area on the lower face including the mouth area, which is not a great idea when you want the horse to respond to rein/bit aids. The great advantage of the Micklem bridle is that there is no inward pressure at this point.

Try this.....stand in front of the horse and put your hands under the cheek pieces of the Micklem. You will find you can easily move the cheek pieces outwards away from the face proving the absence of inward pressure. This is one of the main reasons why it is more comfortable.

Xctrygirl
Nov. 9, 2011, 03:19 PM
FWIW I just was perusing the Closeouts on Dover's site, and saw thew micklem in there for $149. No idea what size or color but its there. And Equestrian collection has the pony size for 90 some odd dollars as well.

~Emily

annikak
Nov. 9, 2011, 06:42 PM
Ive now used it several times and it's great. I'm
Still not 100% sure I have it adjusted correctly- but for the OTTB its been great.

I then took the same one and put it on the parrot mouthed horse. Adjusted nicely but again, not 100% sure I have it right. He is scared of the bit because surely it rests incorrectly. He was comfortable in it I think- need a few more rides to be sure.

Em- I couldn't find the 149.00 one- can you share the link pretty please?? Thanks!

Fancy That
Nov. 10, 2011, 07:38 PM
Can someone address my earlier question?

I ride without a noseband at all times, except for competition (because it is expected as part of the uniform. I have it on a loose fit then)

So - besides the NOSEBAND, wouldn't a regular headstall fit the same as the Micklem?

Or does the jaw-strap (throatlatch that is further down) pull the cheekpieces lower on the face than a regular bridle?

My mare still likes to try and rub the bit/bridle a little, but since I use no noseband, I don't see how the Micklem would help.

She rides fine, too (no fussing, gaping, opening the mouth, she's very obedient)

just curious about the ergonomics, besides the NOSEBAND FACTOR :)

albigears
Nov. 10, 2011, 11:36 PM
I'm curious about that too. ^

Xctrygirl
Nov. 11, 2011, 09:18 AM
Ok AnnikaK

It's a rip off!!

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=Z1-12976

$149 for the pony size!!

Whereas on Equestrian Connections the Pony size if $94!!!

http://www.equestriancollections.com/product.asp?groupcode=HW80197&utm_medium=CSE&utm_source=Froogle&utm_campaign=HW80197

Sorry. I'll keep looking to see if anyone else has it cheaper.

~Em

quietann
Nov. 11, 2011, 10:02 AM
I am very tempted... Equestrian Collections seems only to have the 'tobacco' color which I think is a lighter, rich brown. What other colors are available?

Maresy's dressage bridle is from Jerry's Harness; it started as a cob size but his sizes run large. He customized it for me, so now it's closer to pony-sized in everything but the noseband, and the browband which I had to buy separately because she needed a WB-size (joy of a big-brained, smart horse :) So would the Miklem small horse/cob size work, if I used a different browband?

She tends to curl up behind the bit and it seems from reading this thread that the Miklem can help with that.

MightyBobbyMagee
Nov. 11, 2011, 11:08 AM
Fancy That, one of the other changes is that the cheek pieces sit beneath the cheek bones so there isn't any pressure there. The crown piece is also wider to prevent pressure on the poll.

This is the video that comes with the bridle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ7aJkVWRMo&feature=related

If you do a search on youtube, there are several videos that explain how it's different.

IFG
Nov. 11, 2011, 12:49 PM
I am very tempted... Equestrian Collections seems only to have the 'tobacco' color which I think is a lighter, rich brown. What other colors are available?

Maresy's dressage bridle is from Jerry's Harness; it started as a cob size but his sizes run large. He customized it for me, so now it's closer to pony-sized in everything but the noseband, and the browband which I had to buy separately because she needed a WB-size (joy of a big-brained, smart horse :) So would the Miklem small horse/cob size work, if I used a different browband?

She tends to curl up behind the bit and it seems from reading this thread that the Miklem can help with that.

My horse has a Jerry's cob size bridle. He wears the horse size Micklem.

annikak
Nov. 11, 2011, 01:33 PM
Sigh. That's what I found! Oh well. I have some hope as a lovely friend pm'd me and will keep her eyes out at the tack stores. :-) lucky me!

GreyDes
Nov. 11, 2011, 07:07 PM
quietann - My Arab is typically a pony bridle, cob or horse browband, and he fits the small horse size. I did have to punch a few holes - the cheekpieces needed to be shorter, and the "chinstrap" needed to be longer. There's no way the pony size would have fit under the chin.

FYI- the browband is pretty long, so you may be able to use it as-is.

Here's my guy in his - http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=238616122857013&set=t.1422642990&type=3&theater

(The grin on my face is because we just finished WNRDC Adventure Trail, and I hadn't realized they'd have a schooling stadium course set up. I decided to jump it in my dressage saddle, which was entertaining...)

GreyDes
Nov. 11, 2011, 07:11 PM
quietann - Regarding colors, they have two shades of brown (tobacco & havana) and black. Mine is the havana, which is a pretty dark brown.

Dover has a try it before you buy it option, but I think it's only available in Havana if you go that route... http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-TR804&ids=605379126

Miichelle
Nov. 11, 2011, 08:51 PM
The best price I've been able to find is $185 at SmartPak (with free shipping). Anyone else find a better deal? :)

MightyBobbyMagee
Nov. 12, 2011, 08:17 AM
Dover has a try it before you buy it option, but I think it's only available in Havana if you go that route... http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-TR804&ids=605379126

If any one does go this route, you are in for a looong wait. At the VERY least a month, probably more like two. Just a head's up.

Fancy That
Nov. 12, 2011, 12:22 PM
Thanks, MBM. So the cheekpiece DOES sit lower on the head? Hard to tell in pics. And there is a wider "comfort crown"?

Was just curious what the differences were, besides the obvious (noseband) THANKS

Fancy That, one of the other changes is that the cheek pieces sit beneath the cheek bones so there isn't any pressure there. The crown piece is also wider to prevent pressure on the poll.

This is the video that comes with the bridle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ7aJkVWRMo&feature=related

If you do a search on youtube, there are several videos that explain how it's different.

Toadie's mom
Nov. 12, 2011, 12:31 PM
Took my std. horse sz. back to Dover's yesterday and compared it to the lg. horse sz. Looks like everything is about an inch longer, so not a huge difference. I think that will solve my problem, but they didn't have the lg. in black so had to order it. Another wait:sigh:. Only thing I forgot to compare was the browband. I'll probably use a different one anyway, so that's not important to me.

MightyBobbyMagee
Nov. 12, 2011, 07:07 PM
Thanks, MBM. So the cheekpiece DOES sit lower on the head? Hard to tell in pics. And there is a wider "comfort crown"?

There is a comfort crown, but obviously with no throat latch/noseband piece running underneath the crown.

Here's my guy in it. (http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/320679_577225618785_71400625_31745965_2007052647_n .jpg) (It's not as tight as it looks--he's fuzzy!) I'm not totally sure I've got it adjusted correctly to be honest, so if someone can offer some advice, feel free.

My one big complaint about this bridle is, and I'm sure everyone else will agree, is that all the parts seem to belong to different sized horses. It'd be nice if the measurements were more....alike? The "throat latch" on mine is one the last hole, the noseband is one the third hole, but the cheek pieces are on the second-to-last hole so there's no way I'd feel comfortable moving up to a large horse size--especially for a horse that can wear a cob in a normal bridle.

eventer_mi
Nov. 12, 2011, 09:05 PM
Mighty - hopefully William can chime in on this, but I think that the noseband part needs to be a tad higher up - it looks a little low on his face. Other than that, I think you've got it adjusted correctly. Cute horse!

William Ireland
Nov. 13, 2011, 05:56 AM
For Mighty Bobby Magee.....it's not easy with such a wide range of horse head shapes but yes your bridle should fit a little higher and then the two back straps should be more equal...also bit the bit straps to the bit first, with the buckles facing upwards, then attach to the small side rings. It actually looks like you have the Standard Horse size and almost certainly you need the Small Horse size. I have yet to find a horse's head I cannot fit comfortably but sure there will be on in the future!

On the issue of use so pleased to report that the legendary Irish young horse expert Tom Busteed is now using the Micklem Multibridle on all the many high class TBs he starts. This is a huge recommendation as Tom has been doing this job for over thirty years and doesn't find much to change in his methods these days. As he says he simply no longer has mouth problems with his horses. Onwards!

ThirdCharm
Nov. 13, 2011, 07:26 AM
A comment on the Tobacco color.... it is ORANGE, but don't freak. Looked appalling on both my chestnut mare and my dark bay/almost black, but I put about five coats of neatsfoot oil on it and it darkened up nicely and is just a shade lighter/redder than the havana bridle now.

Jennifer

MightyBobbyMagee
Nov. 13, 2011, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the tips on fitting! I'll fiddle with it some more next time I've got it on him. I originally ordered the small horse size, but I couldn't get anything buckled--it was waaaay to small for him.

sophie
Nov. 13, 2011, 04:11 PM
This is a very interesting thread. I was looking at getting a new bridle with contoured, padded crown for my Ottb mare. She's been going well overall, but has a tendency to flip her head at times, and is ALWAYS immediately rubbing her head on *something* (me, the wall, her leg...) after our rides, even before I take the bridle off if I let her.
So, I am very intrigued by the design of this bridle, and I wonder if it would be more comfortable for her.
I think I'll take the Dover Saddlery trial offer. Mare wears a cob size bridle, so I am hoping the Small horse size will fit...it should, right? She has a rather narrow head. Is the "brown" color the Havana brown, or lighter?

I'll see if hubby would be willing to make it my Christmas present...or even Christmas+Next b-day present...lol

Hampton Bay
Nov. 13, 2011, 06:59 PM
Would someone be willing to measure bit to bit on the small horse or regular horse, and the under-the-jaw piece?

MightyBobbyMagee
Nov. 14, 2011, 09:10 AM
Sophie, the brown is Havana Brown.

Bacchus
Nov. 14, 2011, 09:12 AM
I'll try to remember to take measurements of the cob and regular horse tonight when I clean tack.

sophie
Nov. 14, 2011, 06:27 PM
Thank you Maggie and thanks in advance Bacchus!

quietann
Nov. 25, 2011, 11:50 PM
Ordered, and I will report back when it's here... One of my trainer's other students uses one on her young horse, and he absolutely loves it.

ddashaq
Nov. 26, 2011, 03:50 PM
Just got mine in small for my very petite headed TB. No miracles, but he did seem a little softer than in his figure 8. He still rubbed on the fence when given a chance and was still chompy on the bit, but I am not sure anything will improve that except time. He was definitely not worse in it, so I will keep using it. I got the competition bridle but it came with the extra straps and plastic clips-- what exactly are they for?

Hampton Bay, did someone get you those measurements? I can measure the small if you like.

canterhavenfarm
Nov. 26, 2011, 04:47 PM
As I understand it, the extra straps are for your other bit ( Ie. one bit for jumping, one for dressage). Thus easy to change, just strap on.

I still love my Micklem and TBs head flipping has decrease at least 70%. When he is full of himself, he may still give me 1 flip but nothing like he used to. [ I think the one flip is sort of telling me off and that he knows what he is doing! ;)]

Told Santa that I would like a black one, Large, for my dressage gelding.

Jackie Cochran
Nov. 26, 2011, 05:20 PM
I have three Multibridles.
The Arabs I ride both use the horse sized crown-piece and the pony nose piece. The Arab-Welsh I ride goes well in the cob sized bridle. I had to punch extra holes so everything would fit.
After months of vacilating I finally took off the bottom nose strap. I have MS and my hands are not always reliable, once I removed the chin strap the horses settled down and they DO NOT open their mouths. I also tried the bit clips, thinking that since my hands are not the best all the time the horses would prefer the bit clips. WRONG. I'd use them for initial training with a bit though!
I replaced those cute little bit straps with cut down flash straps for one bridle and leather spur straps for the other, plus extra keepers. None of the horses I ride like to have wrinkles from a tight bit. With the longer straps the horses are very happy. I use the bit straps that came with it for Kimberwickes.
The first time I put a Micklem on the 28 year old Arab I ride she gave a BIG sigh and relaxed all over. I think that the cheekpieces of the normal bridles had been irritating her delicate head. She also rubs her face against her front legs a lot less than she used to.
For bits the Micklem is the only bridle I use now. Since I took off the chin straps every horse I've tried it on is happier with me. The horses still liked the Micklem with the chin strap still on, they just prefer it without the chin strap.
I do not compete so it does not matter what I put on my horse's head.
I LOVE the Micklem bridles and so do the horses I ride.