PDA

View Full Version : Three cheers for blue pop rocks!!!

eventer_mi
Jun. 20, 2011, 02:18 PM
A little while ago I posted that I was having issues with my gelding that seemed like SI pain, but then the bodyscan turned up negative but the scope for ulcers was very, very positive - he had a couple of doozies. This horse gets plenty of turnout, alfalfa with his timothy, SmartGut, and GG when he's going to be in a stressfull situation, so I was rather surprised at the positive scope results. A kind COTHer sold me her blue pop rocks (omeprazole) so I didn't have to wait on my order from omeprazoledirect.com, and he's been on them for about 3 days now, and I have my horse back again. No bucking, no kicking out, even jumped him for the first time in a month today and he's back to his old, sweet self. of course, he has no work ethic anymore because he still thinks he's on vacation, but we can work on that :).

So, another positive vote for the power of Blue Pop Rocks. It must have been ulcers all the time. On the bright side, at least I know there's absolutely nothing wrong with him skeletally from the withers back ;). thanks to all who gave us well-wishes/jingles/advice, and special thanks to RunForIt and Reed, who gave me the verbal a$$-kicking I needed to get Oliver back to work. Cheers!

purplnurpl
Jun. 20, 2011, 02:23 PM
why are they called Blue Pop Rocks?

you had most of us stumped over the name in your last thread...
I seriously thought you were giving your horse pop rocks candy.

eventer_mi
Jun. 20, 2011, 02:36 PM
Purp - they look just like blue pop rocks. Or Nerds - actually, they look more like Nerds than pop rocks. They're quite uniform in size and shape and my uber picky gelding doesn't seem to notice them at all in his feed, so they're quite easy to administer. I'm a big believer - no more expensive UG for me!

Miriam
Jun. 20, 2011, 02:41 PM
Congrats on a great result! I know it's been a long road (wouldn't it be nice if they could TELL us), but now you can know you've made him more comfortable.

I've used powder omeprazole for the last little bit. I order it through a compounding pharmacy in California. Does anyone had any experience with results between the two different kinds? I've been happy with mine. I only use it for a few months in the spring when the grass first comes in. Seems to be the trouble time for us. Wondering if there's a difference in effectiveness or cost.

eventer_mi
Jun. 20, 2011, 02:49 PM
Miriam - the "pop rocks" are enteric-coated granules, so they stand (from what I have read) a better chance of reaching the problem areas undissolved. Is your powder omeprazole enteric-coated? I know some people buy the pills and crush them, but I think that's counter-productive as you destroy the coating that keeps the omeprazole intact.

My guy is on three packets/sachets a day for about a month due to the severity of his ulcers. Ordering direct from omeprazoledirect.com costs about $175 for 100 sachets, so it's pricey, but it is certainly less than GG/UG. Once my guy finishes his current stash, I will most likely keep him on 1 packet a day (recommended dosage for maintenance), which will be considerably cheaper.

pony grandma
Jun. 20, 2011, 03:21 PM
http://equine.omeprazoledirect.com/

200 sachet packets is $299

The difference between the blue rocks with the coating and the tabs that they sell is that the tabs have to be bolused, they cannot be crushed or chewed.

From their wesite Q&A

Omeprazole is in a class of drugs called proton pump inhibitors (PPI) which block the production of acid by the stomach. Proton pump inhibitors are used for the treatment of conditions such as ulcers and Equine Gastro esophageal Ulcer syndrome (EGUS) which are caused by stomach acid. Omeprazole, like other proton-pump inhibitors, blocks the enzyme in the wall of the stomach that produces acid. By blocking the enzyme, the production of acid is decreased, and this allows the stomach and esophagus to heal.

Omeprazole powders and some pastes available afford the active ingredient no protection (enteric coating) from the acid environment of the stomach, so by the time it reaches the intestine, the active ingredient has been destroyed!

Equine Omeprazole is available in two forms ... tablets (700mg) and granules (700mg).

Spier® Granules

Spier® granules are enteric coated in that they are coated with a cellulose polymer. The objective is for the cellulose to protect the active ingredient from the acid in the stomach, allowing the granules to pass into the intestine where they then dissolve and go to work on the proton pumps producing the acid. The cellulose will not dissolve in acid media but does dissolve in neutral media. The granules are easy to administer mixed with a treat or apple.

Spier® Tablets

Spier® tablets are also enteric coated in that they are coated with a cellulose polymer. The objective is for the cellulose to protect the active ingredient from the acid in the stomach, allowing the tablet to pass into the intestine where they then dissolves and goes to work on the proton pumps producing the acid. The cellulose will not dissolve in acid media but does dissolve in neutral media.

If the tablets were to dissolve in the stomach, stomach acid would render the Omeprazole ineffective. Thus, crushing tablets will greatly reduce their efficiency.

Miriam
Jun. 20, 2011, 03:30 PM
Very interesting. Thanks for the links. I have had some success with the powdered omeprazole in the past, but this year I haven't felt like it was as effective. I'll be looking into it more now!

deltawave
Jun. 20, 2011, 05:10 PM
$175 for 100 sachets, so it's pricey

But think how much you'll save not buying any of those stomach supplements any more, which clearly did not work.

Need to order another big batch of BPRs since Keebler is back on bute for a little while.

eventer_mi
Jun. 20, 2011, 05:32 PM
Lynn - yup. No more SmartGut. Very disappointed in that. i don't mind paying for something that is proven to work, but I was beginning to feel faint at the idea of having Oliver on GG for the rest of his life ($$$$$). Hope Keebler is feeling better!

MyssMyst
Jun. 20, 2011, 05:39 PM
Are the pop rocks a good idea as a preventative? Or should you only use them if your horse has been scoped and diagnosed? I've never heard of these, and if it will prevent issues down the line, I'm in! I just don't want to use them incorrectly.

JWB
Jun. 20, 2011, 05:57 PM
My mare started having "back issues" - lots of bucking, not wanting to move forward, etc. last year. We started her on omeprazole (our vet gets it from a compounding pharmacy) and she is a different horse!!!

Look around and see if you can find a good trustworthy compounding pharmacy to make it up for you. I pay about $130-150 per month when we're actively treating, and about $100 for a preventative dose.

If my vet couldn't get it for us at such fantastic prices, I'd definitely be going the blue pop rocks route since that still seems much better than any of the other options out there.

eventer_mi
Jun. 20, 2011, 09:48 PM
MM - the preventative/maintenance dose with the pop rocks is one sachet a day - or thereabouts. i'd say that if you even suspect ulcers, i'd try your horse on a couple of weeks and see if that makes a difference.

JWB - interesting that your horse was showing "back issues" as a result of ulcers. My guy did, too, which wasn't the way he showed his ulcers the first time, so we thought it was SI. Good to know that ulcers can manifest themselves in other ways besides colicky symptoms and weight loss.

Poll Evil
Jun. 20, 2011, 11:35 PM
Very glad to hear that Oliver is doing better! Wish you both the best of luck and a lot of happy rides in the future!