PDA

View Full Version : "I'm not unsafe, I just suck!!" - UPDATE post 28 :D

fargaloo
Jun. 20, 2011, 01:55 PM
Looking for some advice (hoping for reassurance but willing to listen if it's a wake-up call instead ;))...

I would like to move up to PT (3') after doing a couple of years at Entry (2'9"). We have been moderately successful here -- usually middle to bottom of the pack after dressage, but we usually move up the standings because we rarely have an issue with jumping (haven't had a stop on xc at this level). We have schooled PT fences happily on a few occasions but have not put a full course together.

I was really happy with our HT at Entry on the weekend even though we were out of the ribbons -- got 63.5% on dressage, one stupid lazy rail in stadium and clear on xc. I want to move up, my coach and people I have clinic-ed with think I am safe to move up. So what is the issue? I guess I am just looking for reassurance that it's ok to move up even if you are not competitive. I used to say that I would not move up until I was scoring in the 70's (%) but now I doubt that will EVER happen! :lol: I also have a very off-breed -- a PerchX who, bless her heart, is very draft-y. Even though she is very fit, I know that making the time will be an issue.

I don't care about the ribbons -- really. I just don't want the dressage judge to wonder why the hell we are in this division. I feel like we are making sloooow progress in dressage and it is helping us to tackle harder questions out on course, but we are a long way from putting together a "pretty" test, particularly if we move up. Is it poor etiquette to wallow in the basement of a division?

TIA!

Janet
Jun. 20, 2011, 02:02 PM
I once had a dresage judge, at Training, say "I guess she is a good jumper?" after giving us the lowest score in the division. I said "Oh YES". We finished with a red ribbon.

scubed
Jun. 20, 2011, 02:05 PM
If it is, I'm in serious trouble. Moved up through intermediate on a horse that never had any particular interest in dressage, but would jump anything carefully and safely, saving my incompetent ammy butt regularly. We were almost always DFL after dressage, but always moved up, once as far as 2nd. No one ever said anything about it being unsafe or inappropriate (of course this was in the 2000-2004 time range so less of this type of concern out there). More recently moved the infamous Keebler up to training in 2008, 8 training level events with only one jump penalty of any sort, but dressage scores in the 37-52 range. Again, no one considered it inappropriate or unsafe (at least not that I heard about).

fargaloo
Jun. 20, 2011, 02:06 PM
Oh Janet, that is awesome! However, there must have been carnage on the xc course that day!!

Scubed -- 37-52 sounds pretty darn good to me :lol: (BTW, Keebler is awesome -- hope he is feeling better!)

Thanks for the reassuring stories -- would love to hear more :)

spotlight*
Jun. 20, 2011, 02:17 PM
Oh Janet, that is awesome! However, there must have been carnage on the xc course that day!!

Scubed -- 37-52 sounds pretty darn good to me :lol: (BTW, Keebler is awesome -- hope he is feeling better!)

Thanks for the reassuring stories -- would love to hear more :)

Remember that 37-52 in the US is 55.5 to 78.0 in Canada.

fargaloo
Jun. 20, 2011, 02:24 PM
Remember that 37-52 in the US is 55.5 to 78.0 in Canada.

Oops, I did not know that!! Thanks, Spotlight! (Now I feel better!)

deltawave
Jun. 20, 2011, 02:36 PM
"I'm not unsafe, I just suck!!"

I want a T-shirt when you get them printed, and a membership card. :)

I'm pretty darn stickable, but devoid of talent. I enjoy the heck out of eventing and don't mind my placings at all. And since even a blind hog finds an acorn now and then, I'm pretty sure I own one ribbon in every conceivable color, from BN on up to Preliminary. To finish on my dressage score of 39 is always and perpetually my goal for any given weekend. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. :)

Highflyer
Jun. 20, 2011, 02:40 PM
Oh, me too! Yesterday I moved up from 7th out of 8 to 2nd. I'll take clear jumping rounds over a 30 in dressage any day :)

Brandy76
Jun. 20, 2011, 03:34 PM
One dressage judge actually said to me after the dressage "are you seriously considering taking this horse cross country now??"

His behaviour was, ahem, "questionable" in the dressage. As in, there were no requirements for enthusiastic bucking in the test.

But he was careful, and SAFE over fences, although somewhat "keen" all of his life, and he took care of mom. Always.

event_ryder
Jun. 20, 2011, 03:38 PM
Do it! There is basically no difference in the dressage so really you're just looking at the 3" difference in height and the fact you might actually get to *GASP* jump ditches, banks, have a mandatory water crossing.... I did one E level on my paint mare then moved her right to PT and barely noticed a difference. Go have fun :D I'm going PT this weekend on my green bean, so should be a blast!

Duckz
Jun. 20, 2011, 04:23 PM
Go for it! If the jumping is there, the dressage will follow. Or it won't. Who cares! Unless you're worried about face-planting during a trot lengthening ;)

I have a fun story about my Percheron cross from yesterday. As we entered the stadium ring, a friend overheard a lady express doubts about our ability to handle the course. I think it was along the lines of "THIS won't be good." Bless her heart, apparently the lady was singing my horse's praises by the end of the clear round :lol:

GingerJumper
Jun. 20, 2011, 04:28 PM
Go for it! You sound well prepared and it sounds like your trainer and friends are all supportive of it, which is always a good sign. :)

Zephyr
Jun. 20, 2011, 05:17 PM
In the 70's (%) is a dressage score in the 20's in U.S. eventing, so most of us NEVER get there! Scores in the 60's (%) is equivalent to the 30's, which is what the bulk of the ribbons are at large horse trials here in Kentucky.

I definitely say go for it. And I want one of those T-shirts, too! ;)

deltawave
Jun. 20, 2011, 05:34 PM
Dressage scoring in Canada is different . . .

fargaloo
Jun. 20, 2011, 05:43 PM
You guys are awesome!! Thanks :)

I'm pretty darn stickable, but devoid of talent.

DW, I doubt the "devoid of talent" part describes you, but that statement is me to a T! :lol: I did an eventing boot camp last year and in the application form was asked to describe my strengths as an eventer. As I recall, I put: "Sense of humour, high pain threshold and a willingness to buy the beer."

fooler
Jun. 20, 2011, 06:25 PM
If great dressage scores were a requirement for moving up, I would have never made it to Prelim;). My old girl loved to jump, had complete distain for dressage. :D
I appreciate the need to proper dressage and will continue to strive to improve my riding - as ungraceful as it may be at times.:lol::lol::lol:

Plus last time I looked the heart of Eventing is XC and as long as you are safe on XC and SJ" life is good."

jen-s
Jun. 20, 2011, 08:18 PM
"Sense of humour, high pain threshold and a willingness to buy the beer."

If I ever get brave enough to do an eventing boot camp, can I steal this line for my application? ;)

pinkdiamondracing
Jun. 20, 2011, 08:38 PM
You guys are awesome!! Thanks :)

"Sense of humour, high pain threshold and a willingness to buy the beer."

Ummmm--- since you offered-- I like Bloody Mary mix in mine-- and you owe me a keyboard, because reading that made me spew red beer all over mine!!!!

Saskatoonian
Jun. 21, 2011, 08:33 AM
Too funny - I opened this thread ready to cringe, and not only am not cringing but adding another to the "support" camp. I've never made a decision to move up or not based on the dressage. Who cares? I think of D as the tax you pay to run XC. :) If the horse wants to move up in the XC, count me in!

fargaloo
Jun. 21, 2011, 09:01 AM
Jen-s: be my guest :lol:

PDR: Dear God, I thought only my husband drank that!! Any chance you were raised in Winnipeg?! :)

Thanks so much for all the support -- for sh*ts and giggles, tune in for my report from our first PT outing next month... :lol:

foxhavenfarm
Jun. 21, 2011, 10:01 AM
Quote:
"I'm not unsafe, I just suck!!"

I'm pretty darn stickable, but devoid of talent. I enjoy the heck out of eventing and don't mind my placings at all. And since even a blind hog finds an acorn now and then, I'm pretty sure I own one ribbon in every conceivable color, from BN on up to Preliminary. To finish on my dressage score of 39 is always and perpetually my goal for any given weekend. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. :)

LOL, me too! :winkgrin:

pinkdiamondracing
Jun. 21, 2011, 10:22 AM
PDR: Dear God, I thought only my husband drank that!! Any chance you were raised in Winnipeg?! :)

Nope-- born and raised in Southwestern Idaho!!! Home of Sara Mittleider ( my sister and Rolex competitor)

fargaloo
Jun. 21, 2011, 10:58 AM
Nope-- born and raised in Southwestern Idaho!!! Home of Sara Mittleider ( my sister and Rolex competitor)

How cool is that!!! :yes:

Larbear
Jun. 21, 2011, 02:56 PM
I don't care about the ribbons -- really. I just don't want the dressage judge to wonder why the hell we are in this division. I feel like we are making sloooow progress in dressage and it is helping us to tackle harder questions out on course, but we are a long way from putting together a "pretty" test, particularly if we move up. Is it poor etiquette to wallow in the basement of a division?

TIA!

Kinda where I am. I would say if you're safe, secure and confident in the jumping portions, go for it. My horse is a jumping machine but my dressage is never going to put me at the top of division that's for sure. I consider anything in the low 40's a good ride for me :) He (my 'pony') can do it at home but gets tense in the ring and if I waited for dressage scores to go into the 20's (when hell freezes over!) or low 30's I'd probably never get past BN. My scores didn't tank when I moved up either...they stay the same.

Larbear
Jun. 21, 2011, 02:58 PM

I'm pretty darn stickable, but devoid of talent. I enjoy the heck out of eventing and don't mind my placings at all. :)

Me too :) My goals are simple...finish on my dressage score and try not to finish last ;)

bigbaytb
Jun. 21, 2011, 03:55 PM
LOL....

"I'm not unsafe, I just suck"

I want that shirt.

sounds like me at my first event this year (since august last year, and minimal events before then)

28.5 on dressage (I came out in tears, thought it sucked, who would have thought 3rd place)

Stadium...3 rails, horse was great, pilot wasn't

xc..rocked the course. horses didn't blink at anything...did the mistake of looking at watch with 4 efforts left..had 1:48 to go. asked for a slow down, horse trips going down a very itty bitty hill and I fell off! (as in there's a horse under me, now there's not a horse under me). Caught horse, thought I was eliminated, realized I wasn't since not related to a fence..mounted up by use of golf cart (horse too tall) and finished the xc....clear jumping but 82 time faults.....LOL..we scored our best dressage score and highest amount of penalties all in one outing! we were last place of all the horses who still had a score LOL!

So..I'm not unsafe..I just really suck!

Cameraine
Jun. 21, 2011, 04:30 PM
I asked my trainer once who'd been far, far above the levels I was then competing in about when I would know I should move up. She told me that when I got good and bored with the divison I was in then it was time to move up to a new challenge. Not, when your dressage scores say so.

So its not the kind of test a horse can do, its how much fun your having. Alot of us compete to challenge ourselves and what we can accomplish with the horses that we love. If the level your in has made your competition life feel stagnant then move up and thumb your nose at people who think you need a shiny dressage score. Most of us aren't professional riders, and while I would love to ride for a living, I'm just not that good. But the point is, the rest of us who don't make a living out of eventing do it for the fun, for the thrill, for the challenge.

Don't let the possibility of a less than stellar dressage score keep you from having fun. Dressage is hard work, and even if your horse may never give you the score you want as long as your having fun trying do what you feel good doing, and pass everyone who thinks different in the jumping phases.

Lots of luck moving up, let us know how it turns out at your next competition.

fargaloo
Jul. 24, 2011, 06:23 PM
Hey, just wanted to update all you nice folks like I promised about our upgrade to PT today.....

AAANNDD..... "we weren't unsafe, we just sucked!!!!" :lol: :lol:

Dressage was pretty good for us -- 63% (I'm starting to feel good about my "gentleman's C"). Two stops at fence 7 in Stadium (disappointing, but the fence seemed to be a bogey for quite a few pairs). On xc: 2 stops at an up-bank to a fence.... this one must have been 100% pilot error because I tried another line the 3rd time through and a big ol' lightbulb went off between her ears. Other than that she was letter perfect -- even through the water crossing! And the trakhener! I am so very, very proud of my cow. Nothing seemed scary; it was a fabulous course and I can't wait to come back to it in Sept! What a positive experience for both of us! Ready to rock the basement of PT for the rest of the season! :lol: :lol:
Thanks for all the encouragement!

ACMEeventing
Jul. 24, 2011, 06:29 PM
WaHoo!! Way to go!:yes:

scubed
Jul. 24, 2011, 09:31 PM
Congrats

Noctis
Jul. 24, 2011, 09:50 PM
Congrats! Sounds like you had a ball! And I need one of those shirts too....

barnworkbeatshousework
Jul. 24, 2011, 09:56 PM
I love this thread, makes me feel right at home....

jen-s
Jul. 24, 2011, 10:43 PM
Congrats!

Can we start an "INU, IJS" clique? Or get that on a bumper sticker or something? ;)

englishcowgirl
Jul. 25, 2011, 02:28 AM

i also want this t-shirt, and i think my mare needs this displayed on every saddle pad she has :eek::D she means well, but we keep our jumps low...

fargaloo
Aug. 7, 2011, 11:22 AM
Ok, on the off chance that anyone is still remotely interested in our exploits... I ordered some pics from this outing so here we are - me and the flying cow!

http://photobucket.com/betsyequus3d

(the rump shot is there for a thread I started in Off Course asking about her coat pattern).

Thanks for the support and encouragement - I'm working on the design for the t-shirt ;)...

Duckz
Aug. 7, 2011, 12:00 PM
Ok, on the off chance that anyone is still remotely interested in our exploits... I ordered some pics from this outing so here we are - me and the flying cow!

http://photobucket.com/betsyequus3d

(the rump shot is there for a thread I started in Off Course asking about her coat pattern).

Thanks for the support and encouragement - I'm working on the design for the t-shirt ;)...

I like your flying cow :) Staying safe and having fun, what else can you ask for.

GingerJumper
Aug. 7, 2011, 02:31 PM
I want the T-shirt when it comes out. :lol:

faybe
Aug. 7, 2011, 05:59 PM
Awesome for you! You and my DH can commiserate: at his last prelim before he moved up to intermediate, he was DEAD LAST after dressage and ended up winning :D. They're working really hard on their dressage and have certainly improved since then, but they're definitely in it for the xc!