PDA

View Full Version : Inavale Roll Call...

Heinz 57
Jun. 20, 2011, 01:25 PM
I know you're out there!

Who all is headed to Inavale next weekend?

We're gearing up. Had a FABULOUS lesson yesterday and confirmed that we are, in fact, more than ready and IF we can just keep the warmup claustrophobia situation managed it should go well. If not, well... I don't expect a great dressage score! Which is a little frustrating, since he's got really superb flatwork.

Mtn trails
Jun. 20, 2011, 02:15 PM
Have fun Heinz! Wish I could go but not this time. Are you going to the Young Riders' Benefit in Chehalis? I'll be there.

Glad you had a great lesson; I also had a fab lesson yesterday, I think my mare is finally getting it. Her work ethic has improved dramatically and no teeth knashing at all!

solstince
Jun. 20, 2011, 02:36 PM
My stable is taking somewhere around 8 ponies!

It'll be my first recognized and second event ever (BN). My horse is a stress bucket but also a jumping machine so as long as I can keep us both calm we'll have a good run.

And, if all three phases go well, I'll move up to Novice for Whidbey Island HT!

Heinz 57
Jun. 20, 2011, 04:19 PM
Have fun Heinz! Wish I could go but not this time. Are you going to the Young Riders' Benefit in Chehalis? I'll be there.

Glad you had a great lesson; I also had a fab lesson yesterday, I think my mare is finally getting it. Her work ethic has improved dramatically and no teeth knashing at all!

It depends on how things go this weekend. We have some problems with crowds and he's been a big stress ball if the arenas are too close together or too near the warmup. He's the opposite of herd bound, I guess! If we can manage the warmup OK and I can keep the lid on in the ring, he's got really superb flatwork. If not - I expect a mid-40's score.

We were able to make some headway with the bossy redheaded old man. He's almost TOO scopey and he knows he can just launch out of almost any situation. Kinda scary when Theresa starts talking about him going Intermediate :eek: someday - but he needs to be able to take direction. Bouncing a one stride on XC is NOT going to end well if he misses or slips.

I hope to stay topside this time. :) Will see if I can get the helmet cam set up, too. We're running Training and I'm anxiously awaiting ride times and course maps!

CupcakeTough
Jun. 20, 2011, 08:00 PM
Me!

IF it's the same set up as last year: I loved the set up. My horse also is not so great about stressful warm-ups. We posted our worst dressage ever at Aspen after a crowded indoor warm-up and actually getting bumped into right after the called me to go down! *and don't get me wrong, I LOVE Aspen and will be there again in the fall, I just know the warm up situation is difficult for my beastie.

Anyway, last year Inavale had the dressage out in the grass. The rings were in one corner with the warm up free to use the rest of the area. They're "near" each other, but it's a pretty big field with plenty of room. Additionally, last year you could also use the outdoor arena, which was less crowded. My guy was much greener then and I was a little worried so I chose to ride first in the outdoor and then head out to the general warm-up. This year I'll probably skip the outdoor. My guy warmed up fine at NWEC which had way less warm-up space than Inavale.

Here's to good weather! Thus far, (fingers crossed) the forecast is good. Is everybody planning to go to the competitors' party? It was great last year, but it didn't seem like many were there- barbeque, pulled pork, beer on tap, and a live band...

I drive Hazel, a buxom, blonde, older, F-350 dually hauling a sad, sad, red-neck slant load (It's the next project, but it's been too wet at the beach to sand/paint). I ride Macintosh, Big, bright, plain, bay TB with a crescent moon on his forehead. Wave if you see us!

Heinz 57
Jun. 21, 2011, 11:31 AM
I ride Macintosh, Big, bright, plain, bay TB with a crescent moon on his forehead. Wave if you see us!

Have you by chance been at any of the ODS league shows in the last year or so? I recall a bright bay TB named Macintosh...

I'll be at the dinner. Bought tickets for me and my SO, then he left - so I'm bringing my groom-friend!

My gelding is Red (think I entered him as Caliente, at least that's what he's recorded as!). He's a bright chestnut paint, white face with one blue eye, belly spot and three splashy white stockings. I drive Frankie, aka Frankenstein - a white Ford with a seriously cracked windshield and a primer'd fender, attached to a white 3H Silverado BP.

We held it together at NWEC, but barely - cantered both trot lengthenings, jigged through the freewalk and he was in general just a big tense nerve ball! I'm hoping I'll have time to get him out to hack and lunge throughout the weekend and maybe he'll chill somewhat. It's so frustrating because he is really on point at home, starting to work Second level now. Our XC warmup at NWEC was literally freewalk around the parking area, no way no how he could handle the warmup area. And we danced and bounced our way over to the start box. Good thing neither one of us absolutely requires warmup jumps!

hollynanne
Jun. 21, 2011, 11:46 AM
We are going to school over at Polestar instead this weekend. My trainer's mare came up lame yesterday, but we think it's just a heel bruise. We're in the process of getting everyone ready for Whidbey HT. We have 9 BN, 1 Novice and 2 Training horses at Whidbey (yikes!). Hubby is running Whidbey and I was on the fence until my mare decided to blow the mother of all abcesses, and we just got hind shoes back on after two weeks of being dead-arse lame (grumble).

We'll be at Whidbey (I'll be the tall girl, running around like a chicken with my head cut off). We are planning on also Rebecca, the YR Benefit in Chelais, and definately Aspen. My trainer was a working student at Aspen for awhile and I've never been. The pics of their XC look really cool.

Hubby's horse is a big bright bay with 3 socks, named Top Shelf. Hubby is the one that's easier to spot, he's 6'2", *maybe* 170# and has a mouth like a sailor (because he IS a sailor- :lol: )!

Good luck this weekend, guys! I can't wait to hear all about it! :)

Heinz 57
Jun. 21, 2011, 12:29 PM
For anyone who is as challenged as I and has been looking at Inavale's website waiting for times...

Here's a link to ride times/entry status.

http://eventingscores.com/eventsr/inavale/ht0611/index.php

I'm hoping to get the helmet cam up and adjusted properly for our run this time. :uhoh:

CupcakeTough
Jun. 21, 2011, 03:48 PM
I'll be at Whidbey, too, barring any disaster (fingers crossed). Last year, 1 day before Whidbey, he punctured his tendon sheath and we entered into a loooong summer, fall, and winter of recovery. So, I'm feeling a little antsy at this time.

Heinz, last time I did a league show was well over a year ago, so I don't think it's me you're thinking of. But I passed you in the dressage at NW and said hello.

My pony, being an off-tracky, is actually pretty darn chill in warm-up areas, crazy situations, and he's very easy to pony off of. He also does not care if you bump into him (with the exception of when someone comes at him head-on apparently), so if you want a buddy to ride around with and try to settle Red, let me know. If you PM me, I can send you my cell.

Heinz 57
Jun. 21, 2011, 04:26 PM
Yes, I remember seeing you at NWEC! I was a bit frazzled at that point. :D My goal for this weekend is just to keep the lid on! I ride at 2-ish Friday and am going to try to get him out Thursday evening and then again Friday morning, in the hope that repeat exposure will help him settle. I may have to take you up on that offer. I'm hoping we don't cause a scene, it's pretty embarassing to be the person on THAT horse, pitching a fit in the warmup!

Give and Take
Jun. 21, 2011, 04:40 PM
Might go down to watch and get some ideas for stadium jump building - they always have the coolest jumps!

CupcakeTough
Jun. 21, 2011, 06:49 PM
Honestly, if you're going to be THAT horse, it's best to be that horse at an event. My horse, 3 years ago when I took him to his first event (unrecognized, but at a recognized facility), did not keep 2 legs on the ground at a time. We exited the dressage arena at E. The judge politely stood up and asked if I would like to come back in and finish my test and then actually gave me a few pointers when we started to lose it again. Obviously, we were eliminated, but I got to finish, and ride the next phases. People were insanely kind about moving out of our way as we flew about and I hollered apologies. Later they gave me a ribbon for stickability and lots of applause :D

Years and years ago, I was at an event where Amy Tryon's young horse had a complete meltdown in the dressage. Trust me, the comments in the peanut gallery had no criticism, only pity, and "good for hers" for sticking a particularly interesting maneuver. I think we've all been there.

And I think we'll be arriving in the evening on Thursday- long drive from the WA coast, but since it's light, I'll probably be hacking around, so keep an eye out- or I'll just look for a chestnut and white blur streaking by :winkgrin:

solstince
Jun. 21, 2011, 07:25 PM
For anyone who is as challenged as I and has been looking at Inavale's website waiting for times...

Here's a link to ride times/entry status.

http://eventingscores.com/eventsr/inavale/ht0611/index.php

I'm hoping to get the helmet cam up and adjusted properly for our run this time. :uhoh:

I found those, but what I really want are course maps!

Not a fan of the ride times. My trainer's ride times are very close to mine, not sure how much she's going to be able to warm me up. Oh well, I'll mostly be focusing on getting my horse to relax, and she can't do that for me!

Heinz 57
Jun. 21, 2011, 07:41 PM
Bahaha. Bouncing up and down is more likely!

He tries to be good, and I've yet to actually run into or over anyone, he just tends to get jiggy and hoppy at the walk. He's happiest cantering. Trotting doesn't QUITE keep his attention, but it's better than walking!

One good thing about eventers - we all know a crazy dressage horse can still make a kick ass XC horse!

I'm dying for course maps, too, Solstice. I've been pouring over the 2010 map and wondering if this year will be similar.

Calvincrowe
Jun. 22, 2011, 12:32 AM
My SIL will be there! I so wanted to go and groom for her, but I'll be in DC/NYC this weekend. She's not in your division this time, Heinz--she's in Sr. Training 1 (you're in 2, right?). Have fun and ride safe! Be on the lookout for a tiny blonde, riding a huge solid chestnut CC machine, show name Belvedere.

solstince
Jun. 22, 2011, 12:50 AM

Are you using your own helmet cam, or renting one? I saw a booth for them at Aspen, I was hoping they'd be at Inavale too...

And on that subject, does anyone know if there will be video recording services? I emailed the secretary about it, haven't gotten a response yet. I might just be missing where its posted on the website.

Mtn trails
Jun. 22, 2011, 12:59 AM
My SIL will be there! I so wanted to go and groom for her, but I'll be in DC/NYC this weekend. She's not in your division this time, Heinz--she's in Sr. Training 1 (you're in 2, right?). Have fun and ride safe! Be on the lookout for a tiny blonde, riding a huge solid chestnut CC machine, show name Belvedere.

Hey CC, your SIL is great! She did a bang up job braiding for me and when I tried to pay her she didn't want to take anything but I was able to force $20 on her. I just assumed I'd pay her her rate but she wouldn't have it. Really really nice person.

Heinz 57
Jun. 22, 2011, 11:32 AM
Are you using your own helmet cam, or renting one? I saw a booth for them at Aspen, I was hoping they'd be at Inavale too...

And on that subject, does anyone know if there will be video recording services? I emailed the secretary about it, haven't gotten a response yet. I might just be missing where its posted on the website.

I've got my own - I need to tweak the little mount a little, I can get it angled right but I don't feel like it's super solid up there. It's the Veho Muvii Pro, I think. Cute little thing, not HD but I really didn't think I was going to care to see every blade of grass on a run anyway. I think its 1024x680 or some such. I've used it at home and the quality is great watching it on my laptop.

If they didn't mention it, I'm guessing there won't be video. Action Taken Photography will be there, though. Depending on your ride times, I might be able to video you if you'd like. I ride at 2:18 Friday and 11:56 Saturday. :)

And yes, Calvin, I was thrilled to see I'm not in your sister's division! :winkgrin:

misita
Jun. 22, 2011, 10:00 PM
Bravo will be ridden by Jordan McNabb of Twin Palms combined Training in Loomis, CA. This is their first time together in competition. His regular rider is Erin Serafini whose been showing him in Open Prelim.

But Erin is moving to Mexico to be with her husband and Jordan is his new rider!!

I wish I could come but I have too many horses and kids at home.:)

Good luck Jordan and Bravo!!!:)

Good luck to everybody competing and safe rides for All!!:cool:

hollynanne
Jun. 23, 2011, 12:22 PM
One good thing about eventers - we all know a crazy dressage horse can still make a kick ass XC horse!

Word. :yes:

Dressage- That pesky part that interferes with our jumping fun! :winkgrin:

Heinz 57
Jun. 23, 2011, 12:39 PM
Word. :yes:

Dressage- That pesky part that interferes with our jumping fun! :winkgrin:

yanno, I really like dressage, I do. I even show at straight dressage shows - we have one the 3rd and one the 9th. I enjoy it.

Then again, I'm the crazy lady that's been riding her so-called event horse in a bareback pad and a myler curb for the last two weeks, a la pleasure horse. He did pleasure in a previous life and I've been using that to really work on his adjustability. What's more fun than collect-gallop-collect-gallop on a loose rein, BAREBACK?!

Heinz 57
Jun. 25, 2011, 06:59 PM
Quick update...

Lots of falls this morning in the training divisions, including at least two ambulance rides. On horse reared and flipped at the start box, landed on the rider. Not sure who it was, they thought she may have had some head trauma and other injuries.

The fall prior to hers occurred just a few minutes before I went and needed an ambulance. I wasn't on my game, my horse knew it and we refused the first and second fences, cleared 3-4-5-6 and E'd out at the water combination. There was a hanging log set about two strides from a ramped water entrance. It was not our day and I considered pulling up afte clearing the third fence, but pushed on stubbornly thinking we must've found our groove.

Hoping everyone that took a fall is ok. I have a number or pictures of some T riders and quite a few intermediate. I'll post them later.

Thames Pirate
Jun. 26, 2011, 02:22 AM
I was the last to go in the T3DE today and the first ambulance ride (rider was conscious and coherent, but they transported her to be safe) was the rider in front of me (I was somewhere between 30 and 15 second countdown). I hung at the start for 20 minutes or so, and they gave me practically no warning (less than 2 minutes) to get back on and start. No time to re-warm up, so we came out a bit cold and had a stop (very unlike my horse). She warmed back to her work, though, and we had a GREAT rest of the course. Super fun course, though the time was hard to make (especially after a stop! *Shrugs*).

I was just finishing cooling out when the other incident occurred (the start box). My understanding on that was that the rider was conscious, but a bit confused.

The two incidents within 30 minutes of each other made it interesting for those just after incident two. My barn mate was in the warm-up for over an hour (mostly walking). I was glad I got to go before the second incident, but it sure was frustrating to do that nice long A-B-C warm up, be cleared and mentally ready, and then held at the start and to go onto course mentally and physically a bit cold and a bit rushed. I KNOW that I would have had a better first 3 fences (and a much faster time) without that. However, I LOVED the feeling that my horse had found her groove by fence 4 and that everything was so bold and forward and moving and powerful after that. I saw my pictures, and I can say my horse has never looked that good, even when everything felt great.

The organizers did a fantastic job (other than the lack of warning for me at the start box!) of keeping everyone updated and moving; the Prelim divisions even started right on time in spite of everything!

Oh, and for the record--the long format is the MOST FUN THING EVER. I have never had as much fun as I did today, even with the stop!

Thames Pirate
Jun. 27, 2011, 11:49 AM
Just an update--both riders who fell were at the show grounds on Sunday. The one in my division was riding around on a bike, cheering on her friends and watching the jog. The other was on crutches and with cuts and bruises, but she was there and trainer was going to school the horse after the event ended. Other than some bumps and scrapes (and a minor leg or foot thing--no cast) all were fine.

catmchorse
Jun. 27, 2011, 11:21 PM
Glad to hear the T3D went well for you, Thames Pirate :) My mom and I came out to watch steeplechase Saturday morning and it was so cool to see all the horses finding their rhythm. Can't wait to do it myself someday.

I'm also glad to hear the injured riders were okay, I hadn't heard what exactly happened.

Sorry your XC didn't turn out too well, Heinz. Did you still ride in stadium?

I had a great weekend going Novice. A respectable dressage test, followed by a super awesome double-clear XC round. It was really the first time she'd been out on XC since last summer, but she ate it up, and we had lots of fun cruising along at a pretty good clip (for Novice, anyway!) to make time.

Then - big success of the weekend - we actually went clear in stadium!! Last year she was totally fried by Sunday, and we were eliminated when she just said "Dammit, I am DONE" at the third fence and refused 3 times. This year she was a happy camper all weekend thanks to stabling in a pole corral instead of a stall, and she went in there and skipped around the course like it was no big deal. It was very, very exciting to have her be so much more confident this time around.

I always love riding at Inavale. Hoping to get out there sometime next month and school all the Training stuff.

misita
Jun. 28, 2011, 12:10 AM
Bravo and Jordan also took a fall at Inavale this weekend but I don't think she had to go in the ambulance. She did hit her head pretty hard.
Jordan said the footing was terrible in some spots and Bravo's feet came right out from under him.

Heinz 57, If you have any photos of Bravo and Jordan, I would LOVE to see them!!! :):):)

Congratulations to everybody on their successful rides and I'm so glad nobody got hurt worse than some bumps and bruises.

PolestarFarm
Jun. 28, 2011, 12:15 AM
Footing on the courses was actually very very good. But, it was helpful to have the horses drilled and tapped. I know that some horses coming up from Cali are not d&t. Bravo was cool as a cucumber and I was very impressed by him. He is a lovely stallion, you have an excellent jockey on board as well.

misita
Jun. 28, 2011, 12:20 AM
Thanks Polestarfarm. This was Jordan and Bravo's first event together. He has been ridden by Erin Serafini and it appears to me that Jordan will do excellent with him as well!:) They go to Rebecca Farms next month for OP and I'm really excited to see them go. Or at least watch them online. Unfortunately I have too many kids and horses to get away! :(

CupcakeTough
Jun. 28, 2011, 12:53 AM
Catmchorse, were you by chance stabled next to me? I was in corral 13. Mac is the big bay with the white star on his forehead who feels the need to toss pitchforks around for entertainment, throw his bale bag about, and UNZIP (not break) said bag and remove the contents- not because he's hungry, but just because it's funny to watch me scold him.

I love the pole corrals. I requested one this year because my horse seems so much more relaxed in them. I did request one in the shade though, last year we were in full sun and it was pretty toasty.

Thames Pirate
Jun. 28, 2011, 01:39 AM
Cat, thanks--but SJ didn't go well. The mare was awesome--in warm up and the jumps I rode well--but stopped at the fences where I made mistakes. I made three mental mistakes, so I got the big E. Oh, well. I was beyond exhausted (the drive home is 45 minutes, and I had to stop, sleep, and get caffeine, and I had mushy brain all day today), so ultimately it's not a surprise that I made mistakes. Stupid. That's okay--I know I can jump a course most days (even bad ones), and the point was the endurance. She did that super well, and I've never had so much fun. When I hacked her Sunday morning she felt great, and she passed the jog just fine, so ultimately I'm happy--not satisfied with myself, but satisfied with my prep and my ride on Saturday.

Cupcake, I was in the pipe corrals, but in the sun.

Heinz 57
Jun. 28, 2011, 11:53 AM
misita, if you can tell me what color Bravo is, and what color Jordan was wearing, I can check. That sounds vaguely familiar but with the angle of most of the pictures I don't think I can really see pinny numbers. I got quite a few fun pictures over the corner out of the water - that sucker was BIG (IMO!) and they had to make a sharp left right after.

I didn't ride stadium Sunday; his confidence was a little off Saturday and I didn't want to chance getting in there and having to quit on a refusal two days in a row. As I mentioned we had stops at fences 1 & 2, which were pretty plain, and he's not a stopper AT ALL. I was not gung ho about the whole thing after watching so many falls and wasn't riding with my usual guts. Unconfident rider = unconfident horse. I was also concerned about fence 7a, which is were we E'd, and we tried a different bit for XC (although I don't think it made much difference, honestly).

I had a great time over #'s 3-4-5-6, though! I just about took out a gaggle of 10+ spectators that decided to go for a leisurely mosey right across the middle of the path between 3-4 and did not scatter when I yelled heads up - they just kind of looked around and walked a little faster! I had to yell again to MOVE, YOU'RE RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF WHERE WE'RE GOING! So, if by chance any of you were those spectators, I apologize for yelling so rudely, but next time, please move a little faster.

We had a good time, despite the unfortunate ending. I'm not sure where to go from here, yet...funding is limited but I know we need to get out again and finish.

catmchorse
Jun. 28, 2011, 12:26 PM
Yes Cupcake, that was me with the little grey mare. Mac was very entertaining :lol:

Pole corrals = amazing, seriously. Made the difference between a fire-breathing, pushy, pain-in-the-butt horse (which she never, EVER is) and quiet, sleepy, happy horse (which she usually is).

Bummer about stadium, but it happens. At least you had a good ride on the really fun part!

lurker
Jun. 28, 2011, 01:01 PM
I went Training there and had an interesting weekend of downs and ups. Finn is usually quite competitive in the dressage phase but he decided that he knew that he was there for x-c that weekend! He was strong and on the muscle, bucking in warmup. I had all I could do to hold it together for the test. Needless to say we were low down in the pack. I am getting him ready to do the T3D at Rebecca so maybe he is getting too fit?

X-C day we rode early before the falls. He came out of the start box on fire! I had debated on whether to do the T3D line thru the water as I would have to pull him off the 3rd element since it wasn't on our course and it was only 2 strides after the up bank. Malcolm Hook - the rule guru - was there and he said we could do it if we chose since it technically didn't exist for the Training division. I decided if he trotted the water I would pull him off but he cantered thru the water in a nice balanced fashion so boink, boink two strides and over the roll top we went! He jumped everything right out of stride except for fence 12 in the woods. We got an icky distance but he jumped it well anyway! We were one of the few double clears on x-c and we moved up to 7th!

Stadium day was a night mare. He recovered REALLY well from x-c (didn't I say he might be too fit?) and thought that we were on day 2 of x-c! He was super strong and didn't look at ANY of the colorful fences (and Inavale has COLORFUL fences). We had 2 rails. I figured we were out of the standings so I went back to my trailer and untacked and changed. Well others apparently had some issues too as we ended up 8th! So I got to come home with a pretty brown ribbon that looks good on my chestnut boy!

Lots of homework for Rebecca. I need to work on relaxation in dressage as he can do all the movements quite well at home and I need to figure out how to ride a really hot horse in stadium and keep the rails up!

The footing was fabulous on x-c but you did need to stud. Anyway that was my report!

Heinz 57
Jun. 28, 2011, 03:11 PM
Just checked Tim's website... pics are up!

I can already feel the beating I'm going to get for having such long reins at my next lesson.

ETA:

Here's a few pictures my dad took. That over-jumping problem rears it's head yet again!

Wahoo! (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/erin7264/Red/DSC_7927.jpg)

Snappy hind end! (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/erin7264/Red/DSC_7929.jpg)

Justa Bob
Jun. 28, 2011, 05:55 PM
Thank you all for the updates - esp. about the injured riders. Its tough watching - I remind the kids that the staff are using an abundance of caution and usually everyone comes out fine. (And that is why the riders sometimes don't get up right away - they are being extra careful.)

Only got to see Saturday and mostly parked at the water. The footing looked great. Almost everyone came out solid and there were quite a few training levels who took the fence out of the water. Generally in 2 strides, but saw a few 3 and one 4 - everyone was so solid.

I was sorry to see any refusals at the water - but all the riders handled their silly mounts with grace. One even schooled all the way through the water complex after 3 refusals...but maybe she was dazed!

Congrats on making the best of it.