PDA

View Full Version : OMG I get to event again!!!!

jumpsnake
Jun. 20, 2011, 08:59 AM
OK, so after something like 20+ years away from actually going to a recognized event, my WONDERFUL leaser is allowing me to take her horse to a *real* event. I'm scrambling to get my membership form in, so I can actually enter. Since going to college, I've shown in one mini-tiral, one hunter pace, and one unrecognized event. This is the first recognized event since, um, well, I'm not sure I can even figure it out. Winona in 1992 or 3? Maybe? I'm not even sure.

I am so stupid excited it is ridiculous. I am trying desperately not to get too excited. So, I'm wondering if you all can help me remember how to organize? Would you wonderful COTHers be willing to post your packing lists? Your tips for what has changed since the 'old days?' What do people wear XC now? I remember rugby shirts! We'll be going novice, do people really wear stock ties at novice now?

Any tips will be greatly appreciated!

jumpsnake
Jun. 21, 2011, 10:15 AM
Bump? No one wants to help me? :cry:

Did I say something wrong?

Grasshopper
Jun. 21, 2011, 11:57 AM
Very cool!! :)

I think USEA has a handy packing list on the website somewhere, good place to start.

The rules have changed...a lot! Have you reviewed them recently? You can now circle on XC, for instance (but not after the last fence as that's considered wilful delay).

Yes, I think most of the novice riders I've seen in the past few years have worn stock ties for dressage (and often for SJ too, now that I think about it).

Gotta get back to work, I suspect you'll get more answers as people have time throughout the day. :winkgrin:

SweetieG
Jun. 21, 2011, 04:44 PM
How fun! Kind of makes you feel like a kid at Christmas doesn't it? I hope it will be just the start of many more to come for you!

I was trying to find the USEA packing list for you but for some reason I the site is not pulling up right now. I just like to sort of pack by phase thinking of all I need for me and horse before, during, and after. Then, of course, you must think of all the many feed, trailering, and stabling necessities. Not much help I know. What ever can be packed ahead of time go ahead and do it. I like to make sure all my pads/wraps are cleaned the week before.

You can never have too much duct tape or sharpies. Don't forget scissors either.

Yes to the stock at Novice. Now hopefully someone with more organizational skills will jump in.

Good luck and have a great time!

scubed
Jun. 21, 2011, 08:59 PM
Here is a pretty good checklist http://www.chocolatehorsefarm.net/docs/Eventingchecklist.pdf

If all 3 phases happen on one day (or if the event is not USEA recognized), you can wear breeches and polo shirt for all 3 phases. At more and more events you go straight from sj to xc in which case you wear your xc stuff and do not need sj clothes.

If more than 1 day, I wear stock tie with my jacket for dressage and sj. I wear technical fabric polo for xc. You need approved helmet for all 3 phases, vest for xc.

Do check the rules available on www.useventing.com

cranky
Jun. 21, 2011, 09:11 PM
I would say that most everyone will be wearing stock ties (a few ratcatchers maybe as well) for Dressage. Check the Omnibus listing for your event to see how Stadium and XC are run. If you go right out to XC from SJ, typically you will wear your XC gear for both phases. If you have separate times for SJ and XC then most will wear stock ties / show coats for SJ. If it's very hot, you will may see a mix of people in show coats or in white tech show shirts. For XC you will see much more of a mix of styles. A lot of people (most?) will wear some kind of polo for Summer. I would think that a rugby shirt would be too hot for this time of year, but might work for a Fall event.

I'm not the most seasoned eventer, but as someone who also took a long break from riding (22 years or something) and from competing (probably over 25 years) I would say these things stick out since my return:

* Check your ride times multiple times. Sometimes the organizers will change times a bit, so check again the night before the show. Check again in the morning when you pick up your packet.

* Pay a lot of attention to your ride times throughout the event. When in doubt, start getting ready early. You don't want to feel rushed and stressed.

* I like to arrive at the show already wearing my breeches and tech show shirt. I'll wear a pair of yoga/warm-up pants and a t-shirt over everything until it's time to get ready. This way all I need to do is pull them off, throw on tie, boots and coat and I'm ready. It takes some of the stress out of the day for me.

* When you show up to whichever warm-up, right away look for the ring steward and check in. Ring stewards appreciate the check-in, it helps them sort out the line-up. Find out if the ring is running early, late, or on-time so you know how to pace yourself in your warm-up. They will not make you ride earlier than your ride time if you don't want to, but it is sometimes nice if that option is there. It's also good to know if things are running late so you can adjust accordingly.

* Don't wait until you're tacking up to put your number on your bridle, do it as soon as you get your packet. It leaves one less thing to have to remember when you're scrambling to get ready.

* Don't forget your armband for jumping!

* This one is my opinion, but listen to your trainer obviously: I would say for your first event, don't worry too much about time on XC. Just keep a nice, easy pace. If you feel you need to trot, then trot. I know at my first event, my adrenalin was pumping so hard on XC, that I had to trot down a long bit of trail between fences to gain control of myself (not my horse, mind you, but my own racing heart).

* Don't forget to have fun!

cranky
Jun. 21, 2011, 09:31 PM
Oh, also: walk your XC course two to three times (preferably 3x, if you can swing it). Bring comfortable shoes, if you have rubber wellies or muck shoes, all the better (the grass is usually pretty wet when you walk first thing in the morning).

jumpsnake
Jun. 22, 2011, 08:37 AM
Thank you thank you thank you!
This is exactly the kind of advice I was hoping for.
I have not reread the rules yet, but rest assured I will read them thoroughly before I go-- I know they are there for a reason.
I have a tech fabric polo, so I guess that will do well for XC. Thanks for the advice about if we go direct from stadium to XC-- good to know.
Are numbers still always on bridles only for the horse? I know people will have pennies.
The horse has prelim experience- but several years ago. We'll be going N, I'm already thinking about swinging wide on turns and also trotting some to slow myself down! He loves to gallop so will probably be good for him to come back to me too! :)

ETA: Oh, thanks for the advice about ride times. I didn't think about them changing. I probably would recheck anyway, out of paranoia, but good to know they may change some so I know I'm not going crazy!

cranky
Jun. 22, 2011, 11:50 AM
Thank you thank you thank you!
This is exactly the kind of advice I was hoping for.
I have not reread the rules yet, but rest assured I will read them thoroughly before I go-- I know they are there for a reason.
I have a tech fabric polo, so I guess that will do well for XC. Thanks for the advice about if we go direct from stadium to XC-- good to know.
Are numbers still always on bridles only for the horse? I know people will have pennies.
The horse has prelim experience- but several years ago. We'll be going N, I'm already thinking about swinging wide on turns and also trotting some to slow myself down! He loves to gallop so will probably be good for him to come back to me too! :)

ETA: Oh, thanks for the advice about ride times. I didn't think about them changing. I probably would recheck anyway, out of paranoia, but good to know they may change some so I know I'm not going crazy!

Your pinney will be for XC. Once you have the pinney on, you don't need the bridle number. If you forget to take the number off the bridle, it's no big deal. If you have a breastplate, you can put the number there instead of on the bridle. Don't forget to return your pinney! There may be someone right after the XC Finish to take it but, if not, don't forget to take it back to the show sect'y/office.

skip916
Jun. 22, 2011, 01:21 PM
my favorite trick for shows is to pack my trunk in layers with EVERYTHING i need in order from first to last,
so braiding stuff, dressage pad, bridle (put # on first!), etc. first, then xc vest,saddle pads, boots/bells, any martingales, breastplate etc. and the medical armband!!!!, then stadium stuff- this way i know i packed everything and it's always on top!

brushes and grooming supplies and saddles are separate and within easy reach, especially if i don't have a helper! i also bring a little dry erase board with a clip to clip my packet to it and write down my ride times etc. i am even super dorky and write on the board the times that i want to head to warm up etc.

here are the things i always forget so you don't have to!:
1. put ON the medical arm band, not pick it up to put it on and then get distracted and leave it somewhere obscure
2. bring 1000 more hair bands and hair nets and clips than you think you need so your ponytail/bun doesn't fall down and flap around during xc and stadium. i can braid a horse like no one else, but my own hair? nope.
3. sunscreen! bring it, use it, reapply it!
4. cash- when you are starving/thirsty or want to shop, your debit card is generally useless at a horse show.
5. extra hay!

and lastly, just some womanly advice since you haven't shown in a while,
try on the undergarments you are going to wear with your show clothes ahead of time and put them with your clothes! this way you aren't scrambling the morning of to find decent stuff. nothing like white breeches and bad panty choices to ruin your self esteem in the morning!! ;)

Dawnd
Jun. 22, 2011, 03:10 PM
For some odd reason, every time I skim the list of post titles, your's looks like "OMG I'm pregnant again".

I'm not quite sure whether to be happy for you or share your pain. Then I read it more closely and it makes MUCH more sense!

jumpsnake
Jun. 22, 2011, 09:24 PM
For some odd reason, every time I skim the list of post titles, your's looks like "OMG I'm pregnant again".

I'm not quite sure whether to be happy for you or share your pain. Then I read it more closely and it makes MUCH more sense!

Bwaaahaaahaaahaaahahahaha!:lol::lol::lol:

If you knew, me, you would know how hilarious this idea is.
So skip, you find out what order the phases are running in, and then pack accordingly? What a good idea! I'm not entirely sure how much control I'll have over the trunk, since it is not my horse. I'm not sure if the owner will want me to get my own trunk to bring, or use hers....I think she has traveling stuff. Well, I know she does, I'm just not sure if it will be a hassle for her to drag it all out. She is being so incredibly nice to me that I feel bad asking about anything, but I'm so excited that I can't really stop churning it over in my head. I feel like a giddy girl! And I'm 36!

cranky
Jun. 23, 2011, 12:09 PM
Some of the people at my barn will bring a laundry bag and, as they finish with each phase, will throw the various saddle pads, clothing items (barring show jacket, of course) into the bag and out of the way. Me? I use a hefty garabage bag for the same purpose because I never can seem to remember to look for a laundry bag when I'm out running errands. Anyway, it helps to get the stuff you are no longer going to need out of the way and keeps the sweaty, dusty, horse hair-coated gear away from the fresh stuff you still need to use.