PDA

View Full Version : Point 2

RoeVee
Jun. 19, 2011, 11:37 PM
My horse and I had our first fall ever today. A training trakaner - he went to add a stride and planted both feet in the ditch and over and down we went! Thankfully he fell on his side and I fell clear.

My Point 2 did not deploy - and I could not get the lanyard to pull free! So as my horse was struggling to get to his feet I could not get out of his way! Thankfully he is a sensible horse- I told him to whoa and he waited until I could unclip so he could right himself. scary!!!! I don't even want to imagine what would have happened had he rolled while I was stuck to him or gotten up and galloped off! :eek:

I may have the only Point 2 ever made where the lanyard does not release- but TEST it! Waste one canister to make sure your vest works!! I am calling SmartPak tomorrow to return and the minute I get the new one - I am pulling that lanyard to make sure it releases

RAyers
Jun. 19, 2011, 11:44 PM
RoeVee, that sucks! I hope you are OK. Were you at Spring Gulch?

I will point out your experience is what I have pointed out about fail dangerous designs in air vests. When it comes to safety equipment in any sport, activity, industry, etc. the goal is a fail safe design. You want something that works every time.

Again, I am not anti-air vest. I do feel their designs are insufficient given what is expected and how many are in use.

Reed

RoeVee
Jun. 19, 2011, 11:55 PM
Hi Reed -

It's Bonnie. Yep, at Spring Gulch w John. Stupid slow fall - the scary thing was I couldn't get out of Roe's way after we fell and we were on the ground! John reefed on that lanyard after I unclipped and it still would not release - and that thing certainly will not break.

Got back on - we were both fine and did the fence again successfully (love John!) but good grief not being able to get clear of my horse was really concerning.

RAyers
Jun. 19, 2011, 11:59 PM
Well it is all because we have the same trailer. See, you knew that was going to cause trouble. I am glad you are OK and it was GREAT to chat with you today before you got on and I left.

RoeVee
Jun. 20, 2011, 12:10 AM
Haha! 4 Star power! Actually, I was thinking it was the rolling while on line that came in handy - and to think I thought that was bad to drop and roll while waiting for my turn to jog! It was very handy today while he was on his side......

Still believe in the technology but I will be testing my next one. I can't believe it didn't occur to me to test the first one! Gah. Falls are bad enough but being stuck to your horse after you fall, really sucks.

LookmaNohands
Jun. 20, 2011, 10:10 PM
About a month ago I was walking the novice course at Fair Hill while training level was going xc and saw a lady fall basically right in front of me. She was wearing an air vest and it deployed perfectly.

I had never seen one work before so it was very interesting for me. She seemed basically unhurt but a bit upset at having fallen.

I don't know what kind it was. I don't know much about them but I am paying attention. I am not ready to buy one yet though so it is nice to be educated.
:cool:

Wheel Whip
Jun. 20, 2011, 10:20 PM
I was volunteering at a horse trials last weekend. Minor fall with "air bag" deployment. The rider really panicked because the vest was too tight and had restricted her already elevated respiration. She was on the verge of passing out from hyper ventilation when the fence judge figured out how to get it off.
Maybe we should be training fence judges how to deflate them. Although, I could see where you would not want to move an injured rider. The prospect of being "stuck" to your horse is really scary!

BEARCAT
Jun. 20, 2011, 10:32 PM
Well, last time I took a XC lesson with John at Spring Gulch (last summer), the girl next to me had her air vest go off and deploy... and she was just sitting there on her horse...!!!
Needless to say all the other horses jumped as it was quite loud!
So yes, there might need to be more testing/technology before I am convinced they will work when you need them (and not when you don't...)

Glad you're okay!

SevenDogs
Jun. 20, 2011, 11:23 PM
I too am glad that you are ok and extra carrots to your horse for listening to you!

I was at a clinic with a rider who fell and her air vest did not disconnect -- she was still attached to her horse and had a foot in the stirrup! There was a very careful dance to try to disconnect her without deploying the vest because it was feared that she could be dragged, if her horse spooked and she was still attached. Major kudos to the clinician who got handled it so well (along with the rider and horse who remained calm).

I do not know which brand of vest it was, but I am definitely not convinced that they are truly safe (as in... first... do no harm).

RoeVee
Jun. 21, 2011, 03:56 PM
Yeah, I am in a bit of a quandry - SmartPak is fed-exing me a new one (they are the BEST in customer service!) but I am actually torn now if I even want it. It really scared me not being able to quickly get out of his way. I will be testing the new one a couple of times for sure before I decide if I want to wear it.

The pony is good and has gotten tons of carrots. Had he not stayed 'unthrashing' until I unclipped when he was stuck, I would have been in big trouble. Very, very good boy!!! . :yes:

Heinz 57
Jun. 22, 2011, 12:04 PM
I will point out your experience is what I have pointed out about fail dangerous designs in air vests. When it comes to safety equipment in any sport, activity, industry, etc. the goal is a fail safe design. You want something that works every time.

Again, I am not anti-air vest. I do feel their designs are insufficient given what is expected and how many are in use.

Reed

Knowing that you are far more educated than I...

you (and this thread) have now convinced me that I definitely do not need one of these vests. :eek:

RiverBendPol
Jun. 23, 2011, 11:51 AM
Holy COW what a scary story. I'm SO glad you are both OK.

I don't have a Point 2/Hit-Air either, primarily bc of Reed's wisdom on these threads months ago. Last time I competed (June 4th) I was on my horse and headed to XC warm up when a friend stopped and asked me WHERE IS YOUR INFLATABLE VEST?? I allowed as how I don't own one. She looked at me in disbelief and waggled her index-shame-on-you-finger at me. I hope I won't "need" one but I do love my Rodney Powell crash vest :winkgrin: