PDA

View Full Version : eventing trainers nearish to Ohio State?

seeuatx
Jun. 19, 2011, 12:00 PM
I have a friend that is at Ohio State and looking to get back into eventing... she says she keeps seeing things for H/J barns but no eventers? Anyone have some contacts with a reputable eventer trainer within about 30-40 minutes of campus with either horses available for lessons or part-lease/ share board?

horsecents
Jun. 19, 2011, 12:42 PM
Have her check the USEA website for ICP instructors around that area, I think there are a few.

Raison d'etre
Jun. 19, 2011, 02:16 PM
There are no ICP instructors within an hour of OSU. Auburn probably knows best who's in the area currently. There really aren't any eventing barns within that distance to OSU who have horses for lease. This is a H/J heavy area. It also depends on your friend's riding level. Most of the eventers I know in the area are at H/J or dressage barns and pretty much do the eventing thing on their own. Give us some more details about what your friend is looking for.

deltawave
Jun. 19, 2011, 03:04 PM
Bruce Mandeville is on faculty at Otterbein College near Columbus, but I'm not sure of his availability for teaching.

glfprncs
Jun. 19, 2011, 06:27 PM
Kari Briggs (had a 2* horse), I believe, is also at Otterbein. Angi Goodwin (rode with Bobby Costello for years) is in the area, though she no longer rides and is getting married soon. May not be available. Also, Ursula Brush (ran at the 4* at Kentucky a few years ago) is from the area...don't know where she bases herself now.

Parker'sMom
Jun. 19, 2011, 10:08 PM
Kari is at Otterbein...not sure how available the school horses are to non-students....the same for Bruce. Angi teaches my daughter but has no school horses. Ursula does some teaching too but no school horses that I know of.

Auburn
Jun. 20, 2011, 09:47 AM
seeuatx,

You have a PM.

chaserider
Jun. 20, 2011, 09:50 AM
An eventing derby is being held at Trinity Farm next month. Here is the link: http://trinityequineservices.com/ It is about 30/40 miles east of campus. Stephanie Eurez is the instructor/owner there. She has several eventers boarding at her barn. I would suggest you come to the derby and ask around about possible barns/instructors. I'm not sure whether Stephanie would call herself an eventing instructor, but she could certainly recommend someone if she is not. She held a Jimmy Wofford clinic this past weekend, so there are definitely eventers around here. Good luck!

jn4jenny
Jun. 20, 2011, 10:54 AM
It is about 30/40 miles east of campus.

You must mean 30/40 minutes. ;) Trinity Farm is about 21 miles from campus, says jn4jenny the OSU grad student who boards with Stephanie. seeuatx, I PMed you re: Stephanie and some other local options.

seeuatx
Jun. 20, 2011, 11:45 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. Friend is a good rider but only evented at BN at some mini events due to availability in the W.PA area (apparently Columbus is not too different). Lower level trainers or H/J cross-over trainers should be fine. I'm sending her an email now.

seeuatx
Jun. 20, 2011, 11:45 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. Friend is a good rider but only evented at BN a handful of times due to availability in the W.PA area (apparently Columbus is not too different). Lower level trainers or H/J cross-over trainers should be fine. I'm sending her an email now.

tle
Jun. 20, 2011, 12:07 PM
Laura Beaver is down in Canal Winchester (off 33 if I remember the road correctly) so within your required distance I believe. Evented herself through CCI* (finished 5th or 6th at her first - long format) and organizes Greater Dayton and Gemwood. HorsSports at aol dot com