PDA

View Full Version : Seattle Slew: Trained in dressage as a two-year-old to stay sound

Eventfan4LIFE
Jun. 19, 2011, 10:37 AM
I posted this on the eventing forum but this seems such an obvious and conscientious thing to do with young horses, I don't know why it isn't routine. Especially with a horse that has conformational issues, like Seattle Slew.

http://www.thepilot.com/news/2011/jun/19/trainer-looks-back-memories-seattle-slew/

Lamb Chop
Jun. 20, 2011, 10:17 AM
What a nice article! Thanks for posting that.

Laurierace
Jun. 20, 2011, 10:25 AM
It is routine in my barn.

dressagetraks
Jun. 20, 2011, 11:11 AM
Nice article. Thanks for sharing. :)

Timex
Jun. 20, 2011, 12:04 PM
It is routine in my barn.

As is in ours. We'll teach ours to jump a bit as well. The trainer I ride for (a former jumper rider) and I were joking about taking a couple of racehorses from the Saratoga training track to the Skidmore horse show, held on adjacent showgrounds. We were only half kidding. Lol

SanJacMonument
Jun. 24, 2011, 08:56 AM
What a wonderful article. You should cross post in the Dressage forum also.

It was a smart trainer to build Seattle/Huey's muscles, confidence, and boldness so he would be a success. That part about the cow was awesome.

I'll have to look for video of Seattle/Huey's 'war dance' and compare it to Zenyatta's. Those racers are so beautiful when they know they are something special and have a job to do.

The energy is contagious in the crowds too, even if you don't know a thing about horses, you still know a rare and beautiful animal when you see it in front of you. It's just breathtaking.

Thanks for posting.

lizathenag
Jun. 24, 2011, 05:56 PM
I got to see Seattle Slew in his first race as a three year old (it was a race written for him and he broke the track record for 7 furlongs as I remember). It was at Hialeah.

He looked so much bigger and stronger than the other entries. I still have my win ticket from the Kentucy derby somewhere.

I don't know how much "dressage" you can do on a 2 year old.

Laurierace
Jun. 24, 2011, 08:31 PM
What I define as dressage with my two year olds is really just self carriage. I want them to push off the hind end instead of dragging themselves along on the forehand. It doesn't really resemble anything you would see at Dressage at Devon except maybe in the warmup ring before getting down to business.

Chicken Legs
Jun. 24, 2011, 11:12 PM
Seattle Slew was not trained by Ms. Turner. He was trained by Billy Turner. Ms. Turner broke him as a yearling. He went to the track in spring of his
two year old year.

This article is a self aggrandizing load of garbage by the one person in the Slew drama who never managed to get on with her life and is now trying to rewrite history with herself as the central character.

The willingness of so many people to believe this ridiculous story is very sad.

Eventfan4LIFE
Jun. 25, 2011, 08:05 AM
Seattle Slew was not trained by Ms. Turner. He was trained by Billy Turner. Ms. Turner broke him as a yearling. He went to the track in spring of his
two year old year.

This article is a self aggrandizing load of garbage by the one person in the Slew drama who never managed to get on with her life and is now trying to rewrite history with herself as the central character.

The willingness of so many people to believe this ridiculous story is very sad.

Where the hell does Paula Turner say she trained him on the track? Your post sounds an awful lot like a post on another forum...reeks of sour grapes. Maybe YOU need to get on with YOUR life.

LaLuna
Jun. 25, 2011, 01:34 PM
Thanks for posting this! I recently started working at the local training track and I have been talking to the owners/trainers about doing dressage with some of the younger ones that need more conditioning and strengthening before they're track ready.

Chicken Legs
Jun. 26, 2011, 11:24 AM
Where the hell does Paula Turner say she trained him on the track? Your post sounds an awful lot like a post on another forum...reeks of sour grapes. Maybe YOU need to get on with YOUR life.

Maybe you need to examine why you find opposing views so
upsetting.

Acertainsmile
Jun. 26, 2011, 11:58 AM
Paula has never once stated (in person or in writing) that she trained SS. I just spoke with her last year and she sounds very content to be doing what she's doing.

I think the book is a fabulous idea!