PDA

View Full Version : Grippy pads for paws??

kateh
Jun. 18, 2011, 06:13 PM
I may be making this up, but I think I remember reading about gripper pads that you can put on a dog's paws for traction. Like they've got nubbies on one side and stick on the other. Does anyone know what I'm talking about, and could point me towards them?

My parents' dog is getting old and he's slipping a lot more than usual on their hardwood. Breaks my heart every time. He's also tolerant of just about anything you want to do to him, so I bet he'd be fine with something funny on his paws.

Twiliath
Jun. 18, 2011, 08:16 PM
There are several products all the way from stick-on bits that stick to the pads to boots.

First, they should put down runners so the dog doesn't have to slip.

Second, they need to give the dog some joint supplement, omega 3 fatty acids, Adequan, the homeopath Zeel, get chiro and acupuncture for the dog along with some PT. Underwater treadmill is great for these dogs, too. The PT will give them some exercises they can do at home with the dog.

I just Googled "grippy paws for dogs" and got lots of sites with some kind of product. And there's also this: http://pawzdogboots.com/.

Best wishes for this dog. :)

Simkie
Jun. 18, 2011, 09:18 PM
You are thinking of Paw Pads (http://pupgearcorporation.com/Products/Paw-Pads). I thought about trying them for my dogs, but never got around to it.

I find that keeping toenails SHORT is the most important, valuable thing I can do to limit slip on the hardwood floors. A dremel once a week to the toenails does wonders. Once the toenails start clicking, the dogs start slipping.

lovey1121
Jun. 18, 2011, 10:38 PM
Can you perhaps get them to put down some cheap runners? I find that's the best solution to this problem, and you can get rubber-backed cheapies at Kmart and such. I know,p robably not aesthetically pleasing, but its not forever:no::no: I have a store of them now :( , and keep them in the garage-I use them for when its icy outside. And since my next oldest is 13, they'll probably beeneeded in the forseeable future:no:

Even a compliant dog probably wouldn't like something on his pads--you dont want to annoy the poor old guy. I thought those pads were for indoor showing and sled dogs...isnt there some kind of spray or paste-y stuff that show folks use to minimize slipping? I'd be inclined to try that first. I'd look to Cherrybrook stuff like that

Good luck!.

kateh
Jun. 18, 2011, 10:39 PM
Thanks! He does get joint supplements and I've been getting after my mom to put him on arthritis meds too. He's definitely kept active too, he gets three short to medium walks a day. I think my mom's kind of in denial that he's getting worse and isn't interested in investing a lot of money on an old dog. :no:

I was kind of pissed that they decided to put in hardwood NOW when the dog's nearing the end of his life expectancy, especially when they know he has joint issues. Ironically he prefers the hardwood to the carpeted areas.

lovey1121
Jun. 18, 2011, 10:48 PM
[QUOTE=kateh;5671580 Ironically he prefers the hardwood to the carpeted areas.[/QUOTE]

RIGHT???!!! I had one like that:)...You may very well be better off w/a combo of runners and sticky tootsies. Maybe you could buy a cheap bottle of omega-3 fish oil at the drugstore/supermarket and see if Moms will stick a couple of capsules in Senior's kibble? I truly think its got a great bang for the buck, without going prescription. Moms might like it too!-its touted as beneficial for brain function, heart, skin, joints, AND SKIN, among other stuff...and if your Mom is of a certain age as yours truly, these things assume more importance with each passing day:winkgrin:

GoForAGallop
Jun. 18, 2011, 11:07 PM
I would get him booties over the sticky paw pads, although it depends on how tolerant he is of them.

The sticky paw pads were/are available from SmartPak. I thought about getting them for my boyfriend's golden, who slips so regularly on the kitchen linoleum that she is scared to walk across it, but the reviews were absolutely terrible and people said they added up $$$ quickly.

Jun. 19, 2011, 04:05 PM
I find that keeping toenails SHORT is the most important, valuable thing I can do to limit slip on the hardwood floors. A dremel once a week to the toenails does wonders. Once the toenails start clicking, the dogs start slipping.
Agreed! Also, make sure the fur on the dog's paws is kept trimmed. Some furry beasts (like mine) get paw fur that grows out on the bottoms of their paws, covering the paw pads once it gets long enough, and making their feet extra-slippery. (Think socks on slick hardwood, as opposed to bare feet!)