PDA

View Full Version : Arizona Cross Country Schooling

BreathEasy
Jun. 18, 2011, 04:56 PM
Hey all, I've got a question! I'm thinking of crossing over from hunterland with my current project horse, an OTTB I found on craigslist, actually through a posting on COTH, lol. He is great but not a hunter, and I think he would be a good eventer, and I've always wanted to give it a go since i was a kid stealing my mom's patio furniture and jumping my pony over it (oh my unsupervised youth, lol! :D)
Anyways, I'm thinking of doing BN or pre-comp at coconino in September if my guy is ready (a friend of mine that has evented for years has told me I'm not crazy with this goal), and no worries if he isn't ready I'll scratch. So my question here is where do people cross country school out here? and how? Is the course up in flagstaff always there? Can I just trailer in and school? Any info and tips are greatly appreciated!

Koniucha
Jun. 18, 2011, 05:10 PM
Hey, where are the pictures of your new guy?? :)

azeventer
Jun. 18, 2011, 05:28 PM
No, you can't just go school over the Flagstaff XC jumps!!!!!! Sadly....due to insurance issues and the fact that the state/county owns the land that the jumps are on, no one is allowed to jump them outside of sanctioned schooling events....otherwise we could lose our lease and...no more horse trials/XC course up there of any kind! So please, spread the word, we really could have a big problem if people do this!

Now, as to schooling....they are having a schooling weekend up there now, too late for you at the moment, I guess, but they also allow schooling between summer Coconino 1 and 2....I think it is the tues. after the event, not sure though.Call Alice Sarno (organizer) (602) 501-4697....she can let you know what the deal is. You would need to have a trainer, again, insurance purposes, blah blah....but I am sure Alice, or any of the event trainers up there for the horse trials could function in that capacity....that could easily be worked out. There are a couple of places people go to school in town...Alice's place www.carefreefarms.net is one. We have a wide array of XC jumps, from precomp through prelim/intermediate size, including banks, ditches and water. Contact the barn manager Laura Borghesani for more info, her # is on the website. Fredrick Bouland's place has a XC course, again with water and banks....don't know his #, but it should be listed in the contacts on the USEA Area X website.( www.area-x.org ) There is a course in Sonoita at Grass Ridge, you can arrange for schooling there, but don't know what the specifics are....again....barn manager for Carefree Farms...Laura B. could probably get you this info, she used to be area chair and has all the contacts. Good luck and have fun!!! If you have questions, feel free to PM me, I have trained with Alice for 15 years or so, and am well familiar with the eventing scene here in AZ.

azeventer
Jun. 18, 2011, 05:38 PM
forgot to ask...are you in Phoenix area or Tuscon? Not as familiar with where people go for informal schooling in Tuscon area, aside from Sonoita/ Grass Ridge, but there are a couple of event trainers down there you could contact...Lisa Brunner is current area chair, and Manuela Propfe is a trainer down there as well, they could point you in the right direction. Lisa's number should be on the Area X website...maybe Manuela's too.... anyway, again, PM me with questions!

BreathEasy
Jun. 18, 2011, 06:02 PM
Koniucha - I'm at work so I'll try an post photos later, but I did post a long update in the Hunter/jumper forum!

azeventer - I'm in phoenix, well Surprise technically, so west valley. Thanks for all the info and the heads up on the jumps at flag! I'm sure I'll have questions that pop up. Maybe I'll schedule a haul-in lesson over at Carefree for a cross country school, it looks like you have to have a membership or something to do so according to their website? Or is that just to use the facilities? Regardless it says xc has to be done under supervision of a Carefree trainer. My guy isn't ready for xc for a month or two, but wanted to get all my ducks in a row first.

azeventer
Jun. 18, 2011, 08:32 PM
no, you don't need a membership to haul in to school. The membership is available for people who haul in regularly, such as people who come in once a week for lessons...it gives them a slight price break over paying the haul in every time. But you can haul in and pay just the haul in fee....You do need a trainer to school, Alice is great, but if you have one of the eventing trainers from around the area come with, that is usually ok too. Just call and ask Laura if you have your own trainer in mind, she may know them and ok it. She would know the exact price list too...I think the website is up to date now, but I know at one time there was a special introductory haul in fee....don't know specifics, but as I say, just call! Laura and Alice are very helpful. Good luck on your new project, I'm sure you'll have fun! Hope to see you around at the events sometime!

edited to add....I just realized that you were the one who got that craigslist horse posted on the other thread! I saw that when it was posted, glad you got him, he looks super cute!! Congrats! Hope I get to meet him in person sometime!

DangerousDevo
Jun. 23, 2011, 11:43 PM
AZ Eventer - I was up there this past weekend and schooled on Sunday with the green beans. There was a young lady out there with a camera - she was with Maura. Do you know her, and if so, can you PM me contact info? I had her card but of course can't find it now....

vanraf
Jun. 24, 2011, 01:06 AM
PM'd ya, DangerousDevo