PDA

View Full Version : Jingles for Keebler, please. Update, page 3!

deltawave
Jun. 18, 2011, 11:54 AM
Keebs ate his breakfast this morning and promptly went to lie down. Completely atypical.

Got up and he's hopping lame on the right hind, with nothing showing but some scrapes up by his stifle; he may have rolled too close to the electric fence (WHY do horses do that?!?!) and gotten the leg under and zapped the hell out of himself. God only knows what the ensuing scramble may have done. :( nothing else obvious, nothing on hoof testers. Vet is on the way. :sigh:

Hoping it's just a chestnut-horse-closet-sissy rope burn and nothing more!

longrun
Jun. 18, 2011, 11:57 AM
From Massachusetts. I have a chestnut and white gelding that does the most unusual things to himself. Hopefully yours will be fine and the vet will say "why did you call?"

kinnip
Jun. 18, 2011, 11:58 AM
I'm sorry. Jingling away!

FlightCheck
Jun. 18, 2011, 12:04 PM
Crap
Masses of jingles to you, to Keebler, and to Scubed

riderboy
Jun. 18, 2011, 12:04 PM
Awww... damn! Jingles! Hoping that the old saying it's better to be hopping lame then just sort of "off" is the case here.

JER
Jun. 18, 2011, 12:08 PM
Jingles. (Maybe he'll be fine by the time the vet shows up...)

clivers
Jun. 18, 2011, 01:17 PM
Jingles for you and Keebler!! Keep us posted!

FLeckenAwesome
Jun. 18, 2011, 01:31 PM
Jingles and prayers!!! Fleck is a sissy about his rope burns too... so.. hope that's all it is!

pharmgirl
Jun. 18, 2011, 01:32 PM
Jingles for you and Keebler!! Keep us posted!

Ditto

Hilary
Jun. 18, 2011, 01:55 PM
Yikes- that's a set of symptoms you don't see very often. I hope he is just being a wuss and feels OK in short order.

bornfreenowexpensive
Jun. 18, 2011, 02:10 PM
sending more jingles....hope it isn't anything serious.

judybigredpony
Jun. 18, 2011, 02:17 PM
Jingles all the way.............

stryder
Jun. 18, 2011, 02:19 PM
Jingles for Keebler!

JSwan
Jun. 18, 2011, 02:30 PM
Oh dear.

Fingers and toes crossed he's being a great big sissy and the vet finds nothing.

RunForIt
Jun. 18, 2011, 02:49 PM
quote from one of my favorite people...dear Keebler, jingles coming your way so that you get your hiny clear of anything electric and/or lameness producing! Your doting moms have been through enough!!! JINGLE JINGLE JINGLE!!!!!!! :D :cool:

Oberon13
Jun. 18, 2011, 03:11 PM
Jingles for the boy!

Hang in there, delta, and update us whenever possible!

ACMEeventing
Jun. 18, 2011, 03:40 PM
Fingers quadruple crossed.

kcrubin
Jun. 18, 2011, 03:42 PM
Jingles from Pa!!

RiverBendPol
Jun. 18, 2011, 04:02 PM
O Lordy, DW, I'm sorry. Is he fine by now? My current chestnut is a major accident looking for a place to happen. I hope yours is fine. Ice is your friend...

deltawave
Jun. 18, 2011, 04:02 PM
So to paraphrase Archie Bunker . . . he stifled himself. :sigh:

Still speculating he got a hind leg under the hot fence and freaked out. Partial subluxation of the patella. The vet was able to reduce it but still a VERY sore little horse. :( His back is sore, too, which is hardly a surprise.

Can I just say, one time, %€^£%#?!!!!!!

Poor guy can't catch a break. Stall rest for a week, the day before he was going to get to see his first XC jumps in a year, and a week before his glorious re-debut at Beginner Novice. :lol:

But the way he looked, I'll admit that far worse things were going through my head. Things happen for a reason, but . . . see paragraph 3. ;)

Thanks all.

whicker
Jun. 18, 2011, 04:04 PM
Jingles for Keebler! Maybe he tweaked a nerve and will un-tweak it on his own....Hope, hope, hope...

retreadeventer
Jun. 18, 2011, 04:12 PM
Lots of jingles, hope he bounces back and heals quickly....:) :) :)

kookicat
Jun. 18, 2011, 04:19 PM
Silly boy! Sending jingles.

ctanner
Jun. 18, 2011, 04:22 PM
Jingling!!!

annikak
Jun. 18, 2011, 05:36 PM
Jingles. Damn critters...can't it ever go right for a long period of time?

Last week, had a stupendous ride, went to ride the next day- lame everywhere. So lame you can't pick it out lame. So, got on my other one who took offense at a groundpole ( that has not moved in at least 3 weeks) spun- off I went. I had more than one of those 3rd paragraph thoughts!

Horses. Keeps ya guessing, humble, and always striving to figure them
Out. Come to think of it...kind of like x-rays.... Lol-

Justa Bob
Jun. 18, 2011, 07:35 PM
Can I just say, one time, %€^£%#?!!!!!!

Yes, you can!

Sorry to read Keebler is going through another trial (and you by default). Poor boy. VERY glad to learn that you know what is wrong and that he can start mending.

Jingles for speedy recovery and continue health and soundness!

yellowbritches
Jun. 18, 2011, 07:39 PM
Effing horses!!!!:mad: Sorry, dw...sending him my jingles and healing thoughts.

RAyers
Jun. 18, 2011, 07:40 PM
delta,

NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER tell your horse he will be showing!!!!!!!!! People wonder why I don't groom my horses until AFTER they get to a show.

I swear they know what our plans and hopes are and deliberately screw us over. God's little hope and dreams whack-a-moles they are.

My fingers are crossed for you two!

Reed

IFG
Jun. 18, 2011, 07:59 PM
So sorry. Hope that he bounces back quickly!

Ghazzu
Jun. 18, 2011, 08:03 PM
Good grief.
What a self-destructive little twit!
Glad to hear it sounds like something relatively minor, in the grand scheme of things, but still, he's being quite incondsiderate.

deltawave
Jun. 18, 2011, 08:12 PM
Well, if a vet says "relatively minor" that always makes me happy. :)

Guess I should go looking for stories of horses with similar injuries. Stifles are complicated . . .

riderboy
Jun. 18, 2011, 08:15 PM

Guess I should go looking for stories of horses with similar injuries. Stifles are complicated . . .

Sure beats "I've never seen anything like THAT!" from the vet.

Sometimes I think Tantalus had it easy compared to being an eventer!

ake987
Jun. 18, 2011, 08:28 PM
Get better soon, Keebler! And STAY better! :mad: :winkgrin:

bornfreenowexpensive
Jun. 18, 2011, 08:34 PM
Sure beats "I've never seen anything like THAT!" from the vet.

Or...hmmm....that's interesting.

Hope he feels better quick. I had a horse who some how got a hematoma in a stifle ligament. Very weird. This was on the day we were taking her last culture to free her from 3 months isolation from strangles. After 3 months stall rest, then walking and rehab and she was good to go (until she broke her withers getting cast in her stall the day after I sent in her first entry). Yeah...that was a bad year.

Ghazzu
Jun. 18, 2011, 08:37 PM

Well, I did qualify it with "relatively".
Are there plans to get some ultrasound information?

AppJumpr08
Jun. 18, 2011, 08:38 PM
Jingles from Maine!! I hope he heals quickly!!!

enjoytheride
Jun. 18, 2011, 08:45 PM
Jingling for Keebler I know you just got him back and running!

BaroquePony
Jun. 18, 2011, 08:55 PM
Well, he probably was just feeling really good and having a good roll and then he was under the fence and panicking :yes:. ... so he could've wrenched a lot of little things rather than just one big thing ... which is much better.

Hope he gets better soon.

TBCollector
Jun. 18, 2011, 09:08 PM
So to paraphrase Archie Bunker . . . he stifled himself.

Thanks for the best laugh I've had all week.
Glad your MEATHEAD didn't do too much damage.

eventingismylife
Jun. 18, 2011, 09:37 PM
Jingles for you and Keebler!! I'll be praying that it is only a minor speed bump in your plans, and that he gets better soon!!

Leprechaun
Jun. 18, 2011, 10:15 PM
Jingles from Massachusetts!

slp2
Jun. 18, 2011, 10:58 PM
WHATT????? Oh no!!! Dang it. I was so looking forward to meeting the spotted menace in person next weekend. I'm glad they figured out what it is (from a person who has a horse who always has vets befuddled as to why they are 3 legged lame). Hope he is back to cranky pants dressage boy real soon!

mojo7777
Jun. 19, 2011, 12:48 AM
Very sorry to see this happened to Keebler and you. Jingles will continue until I read that he is better!

Peggy
Jun. 19, 2011, 01:10 AM
Jingles for a rapid recovery.

Sometimes I wonder how their ancestors managed to survive in the wild without self-destructing.

deltawave
Jun. 19, 2011, 09:22 AM
Well, this morning he acts like nothing happened! :rolleyes:

Still a little gimpy, but you have to look for it (I'm not letting him do more than walk) and the patella still feels a little "crunchy" when you move it, but he doesn't object at all to my doing so.

Otherwise bright-eyed and bushy-tailed and ready for mayhem, as usual.

So we'll keep him insisde for now and see about next steps when I talk to my vet.

Jingles are powerful, keep 'em coming! :)

OTTB FTW
Jun. 19, 2011, 09:29 AM
Lots of jingles!

Auburn
Jun. 19, 2011, 09:35 AM
Jingling like crazy from KY.

ACMEeventing
Jun. 19, 2011, 10:43 AM
Speedy recovery. Jingles all around.

whicker
Jun. 19, 2011, 11:21 AM
Jingles for Keebler. More jingles for you to stay ahead of Keebler's antics!

Are you in the part of Mi that has big hills/ski areas? My vet has me doing those to strengthen wobbly stifles. Maybe it will help the K., too...

skip916
Jun. 19, 2011, 12:53 PM
glad to hear he's feeling better already! more jingles from GA

frugalannie
Jun. 19, 2011, 02:14 PM
Sorry, DW, just saw this. Many healing jingles from north of Bawston. Glad he's looking better. Whenever we've had stifle issues, part of the rehab has been slow hill work, and they've all come back well so far (knock wood).

Here's hoping that's what you and Keebler experience, too!

eventer_mi
Jun. 19, 2011, 05:26 PM
Jingles from NC! I have one that's similar to Keebler - right down to the chestnut part. Hopefully his appy resilience will pull through and he'll be right as rain soon!

CookiePony
Jun. 19, 2011, 10:00 PM
Just reading this thread and happy that the damage is "relatively minor"!
I'm jingling that he gets better fast.

slp2
Jun. 19, 2011, 11:25 PM
More jingles for Keebler! Hope tomorrow he is looking even better than today!

FLeckenAwesome
Jun. 20, 2011, 03:27 AM
keeping the jingles coming....

Glad he's perky and feeling good :)

monstrpony
Jun. 20, 2011, 09:44 AM
More jingles. Poor horse can't get a ... (oops, don't want to use that word here). I've seen his helmet cams; I know he'd rather be out there doing stuff than sitting in a stall with his leg up.

goodmorning
Jun. 20, 2011, 10:58 AM
Glad to hear he is feeling much better :yes:

deltawave
Jun. 21, 2011, 11:58 AM
So three days from when he was a horse on three legs preferring to lie down rather than rest even his toe on the ground, he is today a horse with no signs of soreness whatsoever. No abscess that I can find; I'm still certain it was the stifle, but am totally mystified. And grateful, make no mistake!

My vet says OK for turnout in my small paddock and to get on and see how he feels this weekend. No point confining him where he'll just lose muscle unless he's being an idiot. Which is of course a relative term. :lol:

So perhaps this is only a minor detour on the road to getting this little spotted jumping fiend of a horse back where he belongs: pointed between red and white flags!

My faith in COTH jingles is strong. :)

frugalannie
Jun. 21, 2011, 12:25 PM
What great news! And not surprising. Perhaps he subluxed the stifle?

deltawave
Jun. 21, 2011, 01:43 PM
That's the working diagnosis. :)

pcwertb
Jun. 21, 2011, 01:48 PM
So glad to hear Keebler is feeling much better.

monstrpony
Jun. 21, 2011, 04:03 PM
Jingles continue!