PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about your cross country saddle

WannaB
Jun. 18, 2011, 11:11 AM
I have ridden in a Black Country monoflap and loved it. It's out of my price range, but loved the amount of knee/thigh block and close contact feel.

So, what saddle do you jump in and why do you love it? I'm just looking for place to start for some trials to see what really works for me and my horse.

redalter
Jun. 18, 2011, 12:52 PM
I have a Black Country and I love it, though I WILL NEVER DEAL with the rep again, and even Black Country afterward wasn't the greatest at handling issues.

kkindley
Jun. 18, 2011, 02:28 PM
I have a County Conquest high forward flap in XTR leather with long billets. Loff this saddle!! It just fits. I sit in it and it feels like home. Nuff said.

ShelbyN91
Jun. 18, 2011, 02:47 PM
I have a Black Country Vinci Monoflap. LOVE IT! My rep- Patty Merli was wonderful!

FLeckenAwesome
Jun. 18, 2011, 05:33 PM
ha ha.... well.. I can't help you either because I also have a Black Country Vinici monoflap and also Love it!! Sooooo worth the extra moola.. even though I'm STILL paying it off via credit card. I don't care....
And yep.. Patty Merli is the best!

Good luck saddle shopping... I'm sure there are plenty of other wonderful saddles out there too. :) I did like my BC wexford also... very comfy, armchair like feel. Fantastic for doing conditioning work. :)

Eventing Strong
Jun. 18, 2011, 05:50 PM
I have a CWD monoflap with a half deep seat and an AA flap. I absolutely LOVE it!! It keeps me super secure when my horse decides to jump with extra enthusiasm but doesn't make me feel sucked in if that makes sense.

Lone
Jun. 18, 2011, 07:51 PM
I don't have it anymore (sold it cause I'm horseless) but I had a Jeffries JMX that I LOVED. It's a monoflap as well and super comfortable. The saddle is amazing quality and the leather is beautiful. When I get a horse again someday I'll definitely be looking at a JMX!

deltawave
Jun. 18, 2011, 08:01 PM
I have an old, refurbished Antares that I bought sight unseen after sitting in one just like it, and a new Phillipe Fontaine (inexpensive Stubben knockoff) Danielle (?) because I sat in it on a whim and found that I loved it and it fit Bonnie perfectly.

I like flatter, sticky saddles that put my feet on the dashboard a little too much. But this is highly personal; a lot of people hate my saddles, and vice versa! :lol:

Bogie
Jun. 18, 2011, 08:06 PM
I have a County Extreme and a Stackhouse. Like them both! They have a very forward flap and relatively flat seats. The County has a bit more of a knee roll and a wider twist; the Stackhouse is flatter. I like them both a lot. If pressed, I'd say the County is a smidge more comfortable but the Stackhouse is very, very balanced.

I have very long femurs and these saddles are great because they take up my leg.

scubed
Jun. 18, 2011, 08:50 PM
Loved my old Albion Kontrol, haven't had one since 2007 thatI really like.

GiGi
Jun. 18, 2011, 09:47 PM
I absolutely love love love my Barnsby Diablo. It got a great forward flap with just the right amount of pading and the flap molded right into the space between the forward padding and the thigh block! The seat is just right as well. And it fits BOTH my horses! lol

eventrider
Jun. 18, 2011, 10:46 PM
I have a Southern Stars jump saddle and I love it. They are designed by Clayton and Lucinda Fredricks and have a nice forward flap with a moderate seat and a good knee roll. The trees are fully adjustable and they seem to fit every horse. I believe the distributor is in Texas.
www.southernstarssaddlery.com

Mukluk
Jun. 19, 2011, 01:19 AM
First event still pending but I will be using my Ainsley pro national. It fits my long femur and my horse's somewhat flat back.

redalter
Jun. 19, 2011, 12:21 PM
ha ha.... well.. I can't help you either because I also have a Black Country Vinici monoflap and also Love it!! Sooooo worth the extra moola.. even though I'm STILL paying it off via credit card. I don't care....
And yep.. Patty Merli is the best!

Good luck saddle shopping... I'm sure there are plenty of other wonderful saddles out there too. :) I did like my BC wexford also... very comfy, armchair like feel. Fantastic for doing conditioning work. :)

I have been referred to Patti Merli to help me out of the nightmare with the other rep so I am looking forward to working with her to get my saddle finally right!:yes:

asterix
Jun. 19, 2011, 01:18 PM
I have a County Conquest high forward flap in XTR leather with long billets. Loff this saddle!! It just fits. I sit in it and it feels like home. Nuff said.

Yep, I have this one too (not the long billets-- I'd never be able to adjust my girth from atop the giant beasties!) and love it.

BUt it is pretty personal -- you've got to sit in a lot of saddles! I had the County Extreme before and it really didn't work for me AT ALL...go figure...

WishIWereRiding
Jun. 19, 2011, 02:58 PM
Another Black Country Vinici here love it! Had the flap customized for my leg. Basically 1" shorter, but not more forward.

purplnurpl
Jun. 19, 2011, 03:14 PM

this is me with my Prestige eventer. 1X forward flap with long billets (long billets are a must and I really don't like short billet saddles anymore...)
I can easily reach down to fix the girth on all sized animals.
I've had the tree altered once and have owned it since 2004. It's brilliant.
I HATE monoflap saddles. They are too close contact and I don't feel enough knee block.

Lori T
Jun. 19, 2011, 03:37 PM
Stubben Siegfried.
Have always been a fan of Stubben, even though I always had Crosby's. I was lucky to find really nice used ones for my daughters and they really like them. I was very happy when Stubben came out with an extra wide tree to fit my big guy! It is super comfy and I feel really secure in it.

eventer_mi
Jun. 19, 2011, 05:30 PM
Another Black Country convert here - mine is a Tex Eventer with an extra forward flap. Got it for a steal from Trumbull Mountain and i've got to say it's by far the most comfy saddle I've ever sat in (and people on this board can attest to the fact that i've sat in A LOT!!!). My trainer, who is a Devoucoux fan through and through, actually gave me the thumbs up on my saddle. If you look hard you can find them for under $1k. i'd love to get the monoflap TE, but that's way in the future.

Ibex
Jun. 19, 2011, 06:14 PM
I have and LOVE a County Conquest... the JMX was a very close second when I was shopping...

ShelbyN91
Jun. 19, 2011, 09:24 PM
I have been referred to Patti Merli to help me out of the nightmare with the other rep so I am looking forward to working with her to get my saddle finally right!:yes:

You'll Love her! Shes Wonderful and dosn't try to sell you on things you dont need!

ShelbyN91
Jun. 19, 2011, 09:27 PM
Black Country is such a great company to work with and so is Patty. I got my saddle built on the Quantum (flatter seat) tree, custom two tone leather, choice of leather (calfskin), choice of seat material, D's bolted to tree, and flap shortened for no extra charge!

GutsNGlory
Jun. 20, 2011, 07:04 AM
I decided I needed to upgrade to a monoflap or something more secure and forward a few months ago, since my boy I'm starting is VERY athletic. :lol: I had my heart set on a Stubben Excalibur S monoflap event, however, I just missed getting one on the sale after Thanksgiving and I couldn't afford one any other way.

However, my mom found an old (1980s) Reinfelden monoflap on ebay for a deal and took a chance on it. They don't make them anymore, so it was hard to do any research, but it pulls up great reviews when Googled. It has a very forward flap and it helps me stay in better balance with my horse. I love this saddle now. My only complaint about it is that I wish it had an 18" seat, instead of a 17.5", as a slightly larger seat would enable me to be more in the backseat... but other than that, it has been wonderful! If you are on a budget and can find one of these, I highly recommend it!

Kealit
Jun. 20, 2011, 07:12 AM
I have a wintec pro close contact. I have it because my horse rejected all the other saddles I could borrow to try on him when I was saddle searching. It did get picked out by a clinician as the best saddle for cross country (out of the saddles in our group of 5-6 riders). The equisuede is nice and sticky for sure!

tarheelmd07
Jun. 20, 2011, 07:37 AM
First event still pending but I will be using my Ainsley pro national. It fits my long femur and my horse's somewhat flat back.

Another long-femur-ed Ainsely lover here - mine is probably older than I am, and still going strong!

Rainier
Jun. 20, 2011, 10:48 AM
I have the Vega monoflap and I love it! It is so comfortable and puts me in a great position. Not sure how it compares price-wise to the Black Country though ...?

Bogie
Jun. 20, 2011, 10:56 AM
Another long-femur-ed Ainsely lover here - mine is probably older than I am, and still going strong!

The older ones were really nice. I loved my Chester!

GreyGelding
Jun. 20, 2011, 02:59 PM
I have to third or fourth the County Conquest in the XTR leather and I love love love it! Fits a number of horses I've been riding well. It is so balanced it makes keeping your leg under you a cinch! :D

ss3777
Jun. 20, 2011, 03:17 PM
love love love my black country Quantum. The only bad thing is now I need a new size for my new pony, first one does not fit :(

ltmac
Jun. 20, 2011, 08:09 PM
I have my trainer's custom Stackhouse monoflap, I love it! Since we are both built the same, it's like the saddle was custom for me! It's so delicious, and I feel like my position has improved.

WannaB
Jun. 21, 2011, 11:27 PM
Thanks guys!! :)