PDA

View Full Version : mare by Saratoga six out of mare by Devils Bag

PlatinumPriss
Jun. 17, 2011, 10:27 PM
I have a mare named Charades Fame who is by Saratoga Six out of a mare by Devils Bag. She never did anything herself on the track as she broke her sesamoid during her first and only race,... She has been a great cross with warmbloods and ponies, but I was thinking of breeding her to a TB stud. Anyone have any ideas??? I understand she is very well bred,...

Laurierace
Jun. 17, 2011, 10:54 PM
I would stick to warmblood babies if she produces nice ones. She has absolutely zero value as a race broodmare in my opinion.

Slewdledo
Jun. 18, 2011, 12:09 AM
Breed her to someone quick. I LOVE Saratoga Six mares, wish I had one now. We had one and she was a wonderful producer. Many of the local stakes have been won by horses out of different SS mares.

keepthelegend
Jun. 18, 2011, 06:52 AM
She is a half sister to a stakes winner and a couple of decent horses. Her second dam is relatively light. To me it's not really worth breeding as the amount of black type is not enough, although that half sibling is a plus. Would you want to sell the foal or race? If you want to race then you could go to a proven sire and try to breed a runner - although the stud fee will be at least 5k for a decent regional sire that gets winners. If you are looking to sell you will need to breed to a commercial stallion and spend much more and probably get next to nothing for the foal. Saratoga Six was a beautiful horse (although had a terrible leg injury - you can see the huge plate in his leg in all his pictures) and I would stick with the sport horse route myself.