PDA

View Full Version : Dot Smithwick dies

VirginiaBred
Jun. 17, 2011, 01:34 PM
Longtime steeplechase trainer Dot Smithwick dies -

Veteran steeplechase trainer Dorothy “Dot” Smithwick died at her Middleburg farm Thursday morning, June 16. She was 82. Smithwick campaigned horses on the NSA and Virginia Point-to-Point circuits for decades. She owned Sunny Bank Farm, the iconic 1,650-acre farm that sits adjacent to Glenwood Park in Loudoun County, Va.

Sunny Bank had an open-door policy, taking in horses and horsemen and providing a haven for steeplechasing and fox hunting. Some stayed for a weekend, others stayed a lifetime. Alumni include Gregg Ryan, Julie Gomena, Joe Davies, Woods Winants, Eben Sutton, Anne Knoeller, Joe and Ted Stettinius and Smithwick's sons Speedy and Roger.

A member of the Virginia Steeplechase Hall of Fame, Smithwick won two races this spring with Indian Run Farm’s Swimming River, winning the steeplethon at Middleburg and Virginia Gold Cup. Career highlights include winning the Temple Gwathmey with Big Estero, the Pennsylvania Hunt Cup with Dr. Ramsey and multiple races with Rockaround, Quixotic, Topeador and Double Redouble.

Daughter of Samuel Hamilton Rogers Fred, Smithwick graduated from Vassar College in 1950. Married to the late Hall of Fame trainer Mikey Smithwick, she is survived by sons, D.M. “Speedy” Smithwick Jr. and Roger Smithwick and granddaughters Kathy and Patricia Smithwick.

Steeplechase Times will update as service arrangements are finalized.

http://www.st-publishing.com/cms2/index.php/the-times-mainmenu-78/15-steeplechase-news/1892-longtime-steeplechase-trainer-dot-smithwick-dies

MintHillFarm
Jun. 17, 2011, 01:38 PM
Certainly one of the great, legendary names in steeplechasing...my condolences to the entire Smithwick family.

Glimmerglass
Jun. 17, 2011, 02:03 PM
Quite the passing - condolences to her surviving family.

The old guard of people who have been the fabric of riding, competing, supporting and advocating for riding of all purposes (showing, 'chasing, hunting) are shrinking.

Beverley
Jun. 17, 2011, 02:26 PM
Very sad news, I offer my condolences as well.

You are right, Glimmer, the old guard is leaving us entirely too quickly.

Leprechaun
Jun. 18, 2011, 09:56 PM
Very sad. Condolences to her family.

Chicken Legs
Jun. 20, 2011, 04:02 PM
Condolences to her family. It is also a great loss to the entire
horse community of Middleburg.

race_run_jump
Jun. 20, 2011, 08:23 PM
So sad. I rode for Mikey for years, and learned so much. Sad for Roger and Speedy. Hate losing another member of the old guard.

Ishi
Jun. 23, 2011, 12:23 PM
There are no words to describe my time at Sunny bank that would do it justice. I LOVED working there, the horses, the people, Mrs Smithwick...it was wonderful. Many days I had to make myself get out of bed and get to the training center, but leaving there to head to Sunny Bank was my second wind, I always looked forward to it! I stopped galloping a year ago when I got pregnant, but got to stop by, say hello, and hang out a bit with Dot at Warrenton this spring. As ever, she was full of wit and kindness, I had the pleasure of introducing my new son to her.

Godspeed Mrs Smithwick.