PDA

View Full Version : Microfractures and eventing?

Rainier
Jun. 17, 2011, 10:30 AM
Has anyone had experience having microfractures done and the recovery time needed to get back to riding? My PT told me that I would likely not be jumping again for the rest of the season (having surgery next week). I am likely going to have meniscus repair and then microfractures and/or OATS procedure. I am really really bummed, as I was planning on moving up to training level and excited about going to events in the new area that I have moved to.

I have had microfractures done to my other knee, but it was in conjunction with a lateral release of my patella, ACL replacement, etc. Can I expect to get on and do dressage work relatively quickly after the 6+ weeks on crutches (?!!) ?

RAyers
Jun. 17, 2011, 11:13 AM
I have no idea what was just previously posted (text speak, crapass spelling with incomplete sentences).

From the work I am familiar in our department, the micro-pick does not really mean you are out that long, however, the meniscus repair and OATS doe require extensive recovery times due to the rather major damage done in the repair (e.g. the staples used to fasten the cartilage plugs etc.)

Reed

Rainier
Jun. 17, 2011, 11:45 AM
I know, that post #2 is funny ...?! I thought that the meniscus repair was the quickest in terms of recovery, but it depends on what they actually do I guess. I'm prepared to focus on dressage in the late summer (if I'm lucky) and fall, but I'm not happy about it ;(

Velvet
Jun. 17, 2011, 11:57 AM
I have no idea what was just previously posted (text speak, crapass spelling with incomplete sentences).

Reed

Reed, you need to learn to embrace it. It's the future of the English language. That, and making up words when your vocabulary is so limited you don't know that there are already words for the action, thought, etc.

Welcome to the dumbing down of America and the globalization of our language. :no:

Auburn
Jun. 17, 2011, 11:59 AM
Rainier,

I feel your pain.

I had a dog slam into the side of my left knee in 2002 and had to have surgery to repair the damage. I was off of my horse for a couple of months, then rode with a brace for a couple more.

Last year, another dog did the same thing. I may have to have my left knee replaced this time. My Ortho Doc will let me know today what the prognosis is to be. I am praying that he can give me injections to get me through until late Fall. If not, then no AEC's again this year for me. Bummer!

mg
Jun. 17, 2011, 12:32 PM
I'm not sure about the other issues (meniscus, etc), but I rolled a motorcycle a couple falls ago and ended up with a non-displaced tibial plateau fracture. I was told not to ride...asked why and my doctor said because of the risk of falling. Me being me (and being a broke college kid who was dumping all her money into her horse and board!!), I rode anyway, sans stirrups, with my knee wrapped. Two months later I was cleared to ride again with stirrups and pretty much spent two weeks purely in half-seat to regain those muscles :lol: Those two months in my dressage saddle without stirrups really helped my seat! And my pony learned to tolerate scary things like crutches in the barn. I even decked my crutch out with duct tape in my colors :)

Jingles to a speedy recovery!

Rainier
Jun. 26, 2011, 04:11 PM
OK, just had the surgery. It was entirely microfractures, no meniscal repair. I'm on crutches for 6-8 weeks, rehab for awhile afterwards. I've been told that it might be 4-5 months before I could think about riding seriously. I really hope that is not the case ...