PDA

View Full Version : AP Indy offspring in eventing

scottytoohottie
Jun. 17, 2011, 09:49 AM
So I have done several thread searches without much luck. Does anyone have any experience with AP Indy offspring specifically for eventing? Temperament, soundness, athletic ability, etc.

SEPowell
Jun. 17, 2011, 10:31 AM
So I have done several thread searches without much luck. Does anyone have any experience with AP Indy offspring specifically for eventing? Temperament, soundness, athletic ability, etc.

I remember watching one steeplechase and he could jump at speed in a crowd of horses! Steeplechasers are usually sound, must have good minds and must be athletic. But that's only one example for you, I have no idea how many of them are involved in sports like steeplechasing and eventing.

Rainier
Jun. 17, 2011, 10:36 AM
I don't know about soundness etc., but the ones I've known have had good minds and have been very good looking ;)

GotSpots
Jun. 17, 2011, 10:55 AM
My four year old OTTB is an AP Indy grandson (by Endeavouring), out of a Buckpasser/Nijinsky mare (his registered name is Gateway Wish). He's still figuring out what he wants to do, but so far looks like he has a ton of potential for all sorts of things. Really fantastic brain, cute as pie, trainable dude, short-coupled with a big jump and quite a good mover. I bought him based on what I saw in him, not on pedigree, but it's a nice combination, regardless.

Hey Mickey
Jun. 17, 2011, 04:26 PM
I have an AP Indy Grandson, My boy is by Aptitude out of a Canadian Mare.

My horse has the same build and body type of AP Indy.
He's athletic, Very very smart, has an attitude (not always a good one), he thinks he's very entitled to do what he wants and defiantly is not the easiest ride.
Super fun to jump. Good mover, and can get quite fancy for a TB.

Mine has good feet and legs, a slightly long (but strong) back and is a picky eater.

I like him alot. He's pretty green. We are moving up to novice as soon as I can find a ride to a HT to move him up.

BigRuss1996
Jun. 17, 2011, 05:49 PM
I currently have an A.P. Indy grand daughter that I'm selling that I bred (Sire was Crowd Pleaser - stakes winner) and her Dam was a TB Broodmare I had by Quadratic. She is currently competing Preliminary with a BNT and winning and/or always placing unless rider error. He likes her a lot and says she has the ability to keep going up the levels and has never had any soundness issues and she's never had to be on any supplements other then Regumate as she can be a bit witchy in the stable but is awesome to ride ....total Schoolmaster and she's only 7 yrs old.
She was uncomplicated to break in and she has never really batted an eye at anything so far. She gets good dressage scores and she has a great work ethic.
I think the AP Indy's are very athletic. I have known of two others and both were very good jumpers with good brains.

judybigredpony
Jun. 17, 2011, 08:43 PM
I have had 2 and they both were superb jumpers, awesome minds very sound and correct. Really nice quality horses, a bay and a chestnut...interesting both had really nice necks as well

Hey Mickey
Jun. 18, 2011, 01:11 AM
Here is a couple pics of my guy. I'm 5'2 and he's is 16'1-ish or 16'2.
He has potential for atleast prelim and probably/hopefully more.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v507/jump4joy/2011/226203_227264623950324_100000003638728_1037451_721 1020_n.jpg
http://suzannefischer.instaproofs.com/buy_print.php?fav=0&type=original&col=0&id=107483894&event=385736
http://www.photoreflect.com/store/Orderpage.aspx?pi=0BEF00BS5R0007&po=7&pc=20

Golden Pony
Jun. 18, 2011, 06:21 AM
My daughter has been blessed with an AP Indy grand daughter from [B]midnightride[B] on this list. Her pedigree is http://www.pedigreequery.com/malibu+moon+pie

She has a great mind, very pretty and correctly built, competed with [B]midnightride[B] sucessfully at BN, and is now teaching my daughter the ropes of eventing.

vineyridge
Jun. 18, 2011, 07:18 AM
Interesting that everyone is talking about great minds from A P Indy. They most likely didn't come from Seattle Slew, who is notorious for producing "punks".

Hey Mickey
Jun. 18, 2011, 11:31 AM
Interesting that everyone is talking about great minds from A P Indy. They most likely didn't come from Seattle Slew, who is notorious for producing "punks".

My horse must be intouch with his inner Seattle Slew.
He's pleasant to be around, really fun to jump/ride etc.

Until he's not.
God forbid he hears a noise that he doesn't like, a farrier he doesn't know try and touch him, you introduce the next step in his training, you try and cross a creek he doesn't want to cross, or sometimes if the ground changes color. He will through a fit. He can get quite dangerous at times. We work through it. There are certain times when no one else is allowed to handle him because don't want them to get hurt.

His potential, super smart brain, and his jumping ability make the above worth dealing with. (and he's getting better about it all)

GotSpots
Jun. 18, 2011, 11:48 AM
Interesting that everyone is talking about great minds from A P Indy. They most likely didn't come from Seattle Slew, who is notorious for producing "punks". When I saw great mind, I mean very trainable. Our youngster has stupid moments, but is smart enough to understand what the rules are once they're made clear. I could see him turning into quite a punk was he allowed to do-what-he-wants, but so far (knock wood) he's done pretty well with consistent handling and he does want to please.

All of that being said, I'm a bit suspicious of how much influence a grandsire or great grandsire may have on most youngsters' personalities as opposed to handling and dam, but I confess not to be the breeding guru that lots of other folks are.