PDA

View Full Version : Happy Friday Thoughts

Xctrygirl
Jun. 17, 2011, 09:38 AM
Hi guys,

Since its Friday (and finally so for me, this has been a LONG week) I am just kindof happily bouncing around the office riding the wave of satisfaction..

Why?

Last night Lad and I played around and jumped some "real" fences. And while doing so had an audience at the new farm. Now mind you, we are surrounded by small kids and teenagers who regularily school over the 2' - 2'3" range.
So "real" in this crowd only had to reach 3'.

Mind you the folks at the barn think that Lad is the most handsomest and kindest horse on the planet. I can't argue. And even though we have been off and on playing with flat work and trot poles he constantly is "accosted" by small children wielding carrots and mints and looking at him with Justin Bieber inspired googly eyes.

So this was the first time that anyone at the barn really got to see him in action. I was a wobbly, weak sack of potatoes!! He saved my ass when I forgot how to ride, but what they thought was so cool was how he yanked his knees over the stuff and landed looking for the next fence, even as I practiced some roll backs. (Future in jumpers is lurking)

At the end of our mini school I patted him and said he could do one "Yee Ha fence." So I pushed him into a gallop and let him steeplechase the 3' vertical on the side. He left WAY long and landed squealing and wagging his head and thinking he was the king of that ring. lol. The two teenagers then spent the next 5 mins regaling me with how his stride length changed in the span of 4 feet to be "at least 16 feet long!"

Ahhh the fun of teenage appreciation. Maybe that Bieber kid has a good idea. Hmm.... :lol:

On top of that I successfully helped to find a fantastic new home for a friends' 1 yr old purebred lab yesterday. He's now on a 3 acre estate with 4 other dogs and they have their own pool....not the plastic kind!! :eek:

Sooo that's my happy Friday thoughts... What are yours?

~Emily

scubed
Jun. 17, 2011, 09:41 AM
I had a great jumping lesson on my new horse yesterday and get to have another today! I also helped married friends who are apart a lot get to spend the weekend together.

cllane1
Jun. 17, 2011, 09:49 AM
May have finally found the right dressage saddle for me and my horse, and my trainer said that the work I've been getting from my mare this week has been the best she's ever seen me get out of her by myself (i.e. not in a lesson or with her help).

Heinz 57
Jun. 17, 2011, 11:27 AM
Well... let's see.

Rode both boys yesterday with my new bareback pad (barn sale $3 find). Both boys were FAB-U-LOUS. Absolutely. We are heading to a little pleasure show tomorrow and Red was just a dream, especially at the lope. I could never do pleasure full time but ooh boy that horse can lope! Furthermore, I climbed aboard my giant - 17.3 and almost too big for his 54" girth - and had a blast working on my sitting trot and loping around like a hunter. I felt really blessed to have TWO sensible, sound, enjoyable horses! And Red's new tail arrived last night - I never thought I'd be so excited about hair, but it's gorgeous!

I'm excited for the show tomorrow - we're shooting for english high point, and I'll get to see some friends I haven't seen in a while. Then it's back to event horse on Sunday; we have one final lesson before Inavale next weekend! I've been working on our down transitions and lengthenings and got a really superb canter lengthening Wednesday night.

I'm excited for our lesson, I'm excited to attempt another run at Training and hopefully stay fully upright this time! Going to try to get the helmet cam set up, as well, and my dad-the-pro will be there to take pictures most of the weekend.

OH. And I got a new coffee pot (also at the barn sale!), which is possibly the best part of this whole story!

Xctrygirl
Jun. 17, 2011, 11:28 AM
Wow.... Lots of great Happy thoughts.

Fingers Crossed Hey!!!

Dressage Saddle bliss is great isn't it Cllane?

Scubed...That's awesome!

~Emily

babyeventer23
Jun. 17, 2011, 11:31 AM
My happy Friday thoughts....hmmmm...

I met a lady at the barn I board my gelding who is one of the nicest, most generous people ever...she sympathetically offered to let me ride her mare any time I want while my boy is rehabbing from a suspensory injury. Her mare is a super sweet Rheinland Pfaltz Saar who is a gorgeous mover and lOVES to jump! So I am excited to go out and ride her again tomorrow!

Also waiting on a Smartpak order that will hopefully arrive today....

Six more hours til the day is done and I have a weekend full of horses!!!

fooler
Jun. 17, 2011, 02:37 PM
Officially off duty until 10pm tonight when I am on-call overnight supporting a software release. That means I have time to take of critters and take a nap :D

Also try to fit in another hand walk of retired mare and soon to be back in work gelding. This will make 3 days of hand-walking, something only other horse folks will appreciate;)

Good luck to those up for new positions. My friend recommended me for this position last year and I have been able to work from home for the past 12 months. Often more hours at work, but far fewer hours on the road.

Will check in with all overnight, so let's have some fun, interesting posts. :D

skip916
Jun. 17, 2011, 02:49 PM
well, i got my dream job on monday (one week post husband asking for divorce- which was overwhelming) and have spent this week making plans for the big move to VA next weekend. even though it's stressful to get things in order this quickly, my friends and family are coming out of the woodwork to help me pack, bring boxes from everywhere, and take me out for drinks, dinner and frozen yogurt...so i am feeling quite loved this week!

my mare is sound, happy and getting fitter and my dogs are happy and i can't wait for them to see their new big yard in VA.- lots to look forward to and i feel like today is the first day i have been able to breathe in two weeks! yay friday!

Heliodoro
Jun. 17, 2011, 02:57 PM
My horse is sound after grabbing his heel last week!

Found my new hunting buddy, we went Hound Jogging this morning and it was a beautiful ride. She's super excited that I've become obsessed with foxhunting, instead of trying to drag her hubby out of bed so early in the morning (ala 4am..), so she knows she pretty much has a buddy any morning of the week! And my horse was pretty good, starting to turn into a fire-breathing dragon during xc schools waiting around, but he started to settle once he was in a larger group and after literally jogging uphill for close to 1 mile!

Oh and I'm going camping this weekend in our brand new popup trailer and the weather is supposed to be B-E-A-utiful tomorrow!!

OTTB FTW
Jun. 17, 2011, 03:21 PM
My happy Friday thoughts as I get ready to go teach lessons:

My mare has begun ponying kids on ponies outside of the ring, allowing me to take the more fearful kids (and/or parents) and teach them about riding terrain, up and down hills etc. The kids WTC and jump, but have been at a HJ barn where no one rides out. They are more than capable of riding out without being ponied, but it seems to ease their transition into learning new things. We have a pony mare that is in her late teens that spent her whole life as a rental trail riding horse (poor girl, but she is happy and healthy now with a light work load). She and my mare get along famously and have the same sensible, calm personality.
I've also been using my mare as lead horse on trail rides to get the "first timer" horses out and about. She is great at it, patiently waits for slow horses, lets them run into her/bump against her with no worries etc. Hoping for some "converts" to begin eventing with lol.
I'm so happy to have a nice horse for the dressage, a capable jumper and a XC machine, who is also versitile enough to herd the cows and enjoy a trail ride. She is a great OTTB FTW! :P

Grats to the others happy thoughts!! Some great stories to read!! :)

DiablosHalo
Jun. 17, 2011, 03:35 PM
I'm off work in 30m and then I'm shore bound for the weekend! I'm going home to pack the truck. made my list today at lunch and realized.. with 2 babies... I need to pack JUST as much crap for 2 days at the shore as I would for an entire week - minus 5 outfits each. Seriously?!? I think the babies are going to have to rough it just a bit.

My husband said to leave the baby beach chair (bumbo for those that know it) at home and we are going to dig a pit in the sand for 6m old to sit in. he said he'd dig it in a U-shape so his legs can stretch out but he wouldn't be able to topple forward. I'm cracking up just thinking about it!

C'mon 4 o'clock...

quietann
Jun. 17, 2011, 04:37 PM
Best wishes to everyone with a new job or new job prospects :)

Maresy continues to improve, 15 months post-suspensory surgery. Vet saw her yesterday and says she's looking good, transitions are not frantic, she's in a good place mentally and physically. She will get hind shoes to help support that not-so-great hind end, and is -- WOOOHOOO -- cleared for full turnout, ***finally***. (She is the only one happier than I am about that.) My goal is to have her nice and fit going into winter, since the winter is harder on her joints.)

The vet was amused to learn, after watching her spooking at the liverpool jump in the arena multiple times, that she used to be quite the wicked little eventer.

The most special thing happened, though, while I was walking her around waiting for the vet. A huge red-tail hawk swooped out of the sky and landed not 20 feet away from us in the tall grass. Having a horse gets me outside where I can see stuff like this happen.

JP60
Jun. 17, 2011, 04:52 PM
My trainer got to ride my guy (first time) this week and called him a star...warmed my heart. He's been away for a week at her farm and I miss him. We have a lesson tomorrow then he comes home.

I had two wonderful bareback rides with my simply amazing mare this week. Riding her BB has really helped my seat and my confidence. We even did canter transitions. She may be retired from eventing, but still loves dressage (her roots). My dream would be to take both to a CT show, ride Sterling to blue in jumping, and take blue in training lvl 3 with Mercedes.

This weekend its a lesson on Saturday and the last Hunter Pace at the Biltmore Sunday with Mercedes. Our first solo trip, but we will have a blast :D I never had time to sit (but at work) and I love it.

fanfayre
Jun. 17, 2011, 05:08 PM
I get to go truck shopping in the next week to 10 days and at the end of it will have in my possession a 1-ton diesel newer than I've ever had! It won't be a new truck, but instead of an early '90's I'll have a late '90s or even an early '00s!!! :)

asterix
Jun. 17, 2011, 05:38 PM
I had a jump lesson with the flipping pony where we happily cantered back and forth over a vertical with placing poles...that kept going up...until we were jumping a "real" fence again (somewhere north of 3'). First time my coach has really put the fences back up since the crash.

Then we did loop-de-loops over a bunch of oxers and I was not even remotely scared. This, it is a big thing!

kkindley
Jun. 17, 2011, 06:06 PM
Had an amazing dressage lesson today! My maresy is turning out quite nicely! Then having people over tomorrow for some fresh caught Maryland crabs! Hopefully talking the SO into his semi-annual ride with me on sunday.

Heinz 57
Jun. 17, 2011, 07:25 PM
Oh...and I'm having a class of wine:winkgrin:

Is that like a glass, but the size of a case? :lol:

I have box of wine at home (Pinot Evil) that equals three bottles and has a spigot-style dispenser. LOVE. And that way I don't really know how much I've had!

skip916 - glad you're hanging in and feeling the love. Not that it's even remotely close, but my SO left me last Wednesday. I'm staying busy and getting myself excited about showing again (without having to worry about it taking away from 'us' time), and I can feel the sun shining on me. :sadsmile:

netg
Jun. 17, 2011, 08:41 PM
The tractor just left after spreading the rest of our new arena footing. My horse is sound for the first time at our house, so perfect timing on his part - and he LOVES the footing! A little too much after two months off, and he had a cross-country gallop after ripping the longe line out of my hands. Not normal behavior for him, but a hot horse not working for 8 weeks makes it a little more excuseable. I'm hoping our longe session today leaves him mellow enough for me to hop on tomorrow, but I'm still waiting to see a canter circle without aerial maneuvers! It's just good to see him back in action. And he had fun jumping on his run (thankfully not running into the cactus), and kept a lovely balance on his own the whole time down the hill back home at a gallop!

I'm also healthy for the first time in the same 8 week period he hasn't been ridden. (Yes, his injury was probably related to a need to release energy since I was sick/not riding.)

I have a second horse to ride as I try to re-build fitness, and she'll be awfully fun out on the trails. I'm learning about the area - where the maintained 1/4 mile racetrack is, as well as a couple other schooling areas plus the trails with more hills, etc.

My rescue mare is loving the chance to go for walks with us every evening, and I'm going to have a friend help me start ground driving her. Just because she's not physically up to being ridden doesn't mean she can't get some good training in her!

skip916
Jun. 17, 2011, 09:10 PM
i LOVE reading these and it's nice to be able to share simple joys with good friends and total strangers!

heinz- you aren't kidding about how good it feels to have the "sun shining on you" again! i am internet toasting you with a glass of wine- to the newly single girls out there!

NRB
Jun. 17, 2011, 09:15 PM
Hi Emily, I'm heading off to Middleburg tomorrow am to try out a TB mare. I wish I could just have another Sailor from GFS. Part of me thinks I'm nuts to be trying out a TB mare, I've hit the over 40's state of life where spending time with my 4yo daughter is precious and I don't want to do anything stupid... I've spent much of the past year and a half at the walk trying to rehab my horses torn suspensory to no avail and the end result one pasture sound horse and one very out of shape rider. I swore left and right that I'd never jump or event again, just do dressage and hacks... but of course I'm going to an eventers barn to check out a young mare.....I'm hoping that she's fancy on the flat with a great brain for an ammy.

We'll see.

retreadeventer
Jun. 17, 2011, 09:46 PM
Rug is sound and says hi to Lad!
I found the time to mow the front field tonight, finally, (it's been on the To Do List for about a month) and found an aluminum beach ball thingie that we think might be a weather balloon of some kind. It's got string and a melted plastic; must have been hit by lightning during the big storms last night that wet the ground and arena very nicely and made it wonderful to ride this morning early!

netg
Jun. 17, 2011, 10:39 PM
I'm hoping our longe session today leaves him mellow enough for me to hop on tomorrow, but I'm still waiting to see a canter circle without aerial maneuvers! It's just good to see him back in action. And he had fun jumping on his run (thankfully not running into the cactus), and kept a lovely balance on his own the whole time down the hill back home at a gallop!

And today he was wonderful and mellow on the longe line... so I hopped on. Nice ride after 8 weeks without working! Much softer and steadier in contact than I expected. After riding, put him back in his pen... and off he went at a gallop again! He'd gotten rid of enough excess energy to behave - but in his mind, he had not yet gotten rid of enough excess energy!

billiebob
Jun. 17, 2011, 10:55 PM
There are freshly painted jumps and new footing in the outdoor arena at the barn. It doesn't get much better than that! The barn kids, my boss and I set up a rocking course with lots of rollbacks and bending lines. The kids and I had fun test riding it! :D

I also got out for a short trail ride on Wednesday (yay). My horse didn't have a meltdown, just jigged a little (double yay!) and I didn't fall off (triple yay!--my track record lately maybe isn't so great :lol:). So it's been a very good week overall!

EquestrianRunner
Jun. 18, 2011, 01:32 PM
can I add happy Saturday thoughts?

1. I got to hack out. a real hack. first one in a LONG LONG time :-)

2. I went on a date with a great guy, who wants to come meet my pony! (this is a first)

3. life is good :-D

kateh
Jun. 18, 2011, 06:33 PM
I'm two glasses of wine in, at only 6:30. Sometimes I love living at home, the 'rents get GOOD wine!

Last week I got on a horse for the first time after my first big fall (broken vertebra). Rode a super cute packer named Mikey at my friend's barn and had a lot of fun! I had thought I might just w/t first time out, but then her trainer gave me a gentle push and we cantered and jumped and pony was SO GOOD and carried my sorry butt around.

As for non-horse life, I ALSO got my dream internship and in two weeks I leave for a year in Costa Rica!