PDA

View Full Version : Once an eventer, always an eventer...

netg
Jun. 17, 2011, 02:20 AM
My horse is a former eventer - competed training, schooled prelim. He never *loved* it, despite his talent. We now do dressage, and he loves it.

However, he's been lame w/ a bruised sole. And therefore not worked. But he's officially better now. So today he blew a gasket while I was longeing him, and decided he was not going to stay in our new (unfenced) arena. He proceeded to gallop down the street, around the two neighbors' properties, and back home. But he did that by jumping every bush and cactus in his way, and I think there may have been a fence in there, too. Why stick to groomed pathways? An eventer makes his own way!

His "run" on his stall is approximately an acre, and we left all the non-cactus vegetation we could in order to help prevent erosion. He didn't really get that he could run in there given he was still very sore when we moved the horses to our property. So after his shenanigans terrorizing the neighborhood and some longeing to make him behave and assess his physical state, I walked him to the end of his pen to un-halter him. He really likes straight lines, so he galloped straight to the other side, jumping every bush and water runoff dip he saw, rather than have to swerve. My horse's motto is clearly "Why go around when you can jump over it?"

I may need to stop being a chicken so he can go cross country again...

(Disclaimer: No horses were injured in the writing of this post or the actions depicted in it)

FLeckenAwesome
Jun. 17, 2011, 08:34 AM
I don't know... sounds like he loves it to me!! :)

I love when they jump things in their way :)

TJGoSurf
Jun. 17, 2011, 10:05 AM
So, would judges frown on you jumping into the dressage arena?

allison finch
Jun. 17, 2011, 03:05 PM
Find a prix caprilli competition. It is a dressage test that incorporates jumps in the pattern.

netg
Jun. 17, 2011, 09:03 PM
I don't know... sounds like he loves it to me!! :)

I love when they jump things in their way :)

Absence makes the heart grow fonder? I've always said he's very good at showing me how he feels about things! I guess we're going to have to do more x-country for him after all!

So, would judges frown on you jumping into the dressage arena?

:lol:

I almost thought it was the only way I'd get in the arena one show...

The prix caprilli is a good idea - don't know of any in the area. But hey, I do little jumps in the arena... may as well tell my trainer we need to go school some chicken little when they go schooling. And... borrow a jumping saddle which fits him, since mine doesn't.