PDA

View Full Version : New to North Carlolina

Mowan
Jun. 16, 2011, 11:11 PM
Hi I'm stationed in Ft. Bragg and would like to find an eventing barn around the area. I'm new to eventing and am a beginner rider. I would like to find an instructor that would help me build confidence over fences. I do not have a horse in North Carlolina so I would need find a place with school horses.
Thanks so much!

eventer_mi
Jun. 17, 2011, 11:18 AM
Hi welcome! I live on FT. Bragg (hubby is an O-4) and board my horse in So. Pines which is about a half hour away from Fayetteville/Bragg. That's where the true eventing scene is. There isn't much in Fayetteville proper, so you'll most likely end up looking towards Raeford or So. Pines for lessons. Are you here now? PM me and I'll give you my number and we'll talk. I've been here for about 9 years now so I can definitely give you the scoop.

piaffequeen
Jun. 17, 2011, 09:41 PM
My instructor and my horse are located at Walhalla Farm in Aberdeen-about 5 miles from the Horse Park. She is mainly a dressage trainer but has done jumpers. My horse has done up to Prelim eventing but would love to do some low level stuff. (he is 27). I know a great event instructor-You can PM me for her info.

CarolinaGirl
Jun. 17, 2011, 10:19 PM
Not from NC but I used to ride with Lynn from Walhalla, a few times before she moved up there and when she'd occasionally come back down to do lessons in the Charleston area. I really enjoyed riding with her.

pegasusmom
Jun. 17, 2011, 11:23 PM
Lynn's been riding for us this past week, getting our big horse started again after his summer vacation. All I have to say is WOW, and when our younger guy comes back from his two month boot camp with the crazy, charming, and confident Aussie who rides our other horse, I will be hauling him over there for lessons.

fish
Jun. 18, 2011, 12:02 AM
Welcome to North Carolina. I've been here for 30 years and doubt you could find a better place for an aspiring event rider to be stationed than Fort Bragg. My kids used to do Pony Club rallies there, with helicopter landing pads used as dressage arenas, and I've often hauled almost 2 hours to access instruction and other training opportunities in S. Pines which will only be minutes away for you. As others have suggested, Southern Pines is "where the true eventing scene is" -- and not just in the state, but nationally. Several Olympic and Pan Am medalists in eventing are based there, e.g. Michael Plumb, Denny Emerson, Nanci Lindroth... all of whom I've found to be wonderfully accessible and eager to help people find what they need to pursue this wonderful sport. Follow up on PM's, and PM me too, if you wish. If eventing excites you, I think you may be landing in heaven: an abundance of courses, instructors, and horses like piaffequeen's, who could thrive on teaching the basics to a beginner.

Congratulations. Hope you have a blast.