PDA

View Full Version : Clinicians

eventing13
Jun. 16, 2011, 06:14 PM
Hello! Im planning to do alot of clinics this summer with my novice level horse. Do you have any recommendations or experiences with any of the following? Im mainly focasing on XC

-Ashley MacVaugh
-Robert Costello
-Stephie Baer
-Amy Barrington
-Bonnie Mosser
-Sharon White
-Allison Springer
-Alix Szepesi
-Linda Allen
-Grant Wilson
-Lucinda Green

Highflyer
Jun. 16, 2011, 06:29 PM
How many is "alot"? I would just do one, maybe, two, and regular lessons. And if I were going to pick one clinician from that list, definitely Lucinda Green.

besum1
Jun. 16, 2011, 08:07 PM
I haven't ridden with any of the one's on your lists but I've heard great things about Lucinda Green.

I also know people that ride with Amy Barrington on a regular basis and they really like her.

I don't know anything about the others as clinicians but I'm sure they're all good! Otherwise they probably wouldn't be out there clinic-ing?

My favorite two clinicians who I have ridden with are Jim Graham and Bill Hoos so if you ever get a chance to ride with either of those do!!! Though I don't know if Bill's doing clinics anymore? He use to come to my area a long time ago and I always learned a lot and laughed a lot at his clinics!

ake987
Jun. 16, 2011, 08:23 PM
I'm doing a Lucinda clinic in October and everyone at my barn just keeps telling me more and more awesome things about her, I can't wait!

I also did jump crew for a Bobby Costello clinic and he was GREAT. I wish I had ridden in it.

vanraf
Jun. 16, 2011, 09:09 PM
The only one I've ridden with on the list is Lucinda Green - I, along with many others on this board, really have enjoyed her teaching style.

I'd do a search on these boards for the names on your list and see what others have to say (I know a great deal has already been said about Lucinda - the others, not sure...)

lots of Lucinda info on this thread if you don't feel like searching: http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=295799&highlight=lucinda+green

hldyrhrses
Jun. 16, 2011, 09:15 PM
I have to agree with the reply that this may not be a great idea to clinic with many. Unless you are independently wealthy, this is a great way to kiss away a lot of money and potentially not get too much out of it. Keep in mind that clinicians only see you once, for an hour or two. They don't know you, your horse, your issues. It's a better idea to take regular lessons with one person. Any of those in the above list are great. Are any of them in your area? You can take several lessons with one of them.

I treat clinics as a treat once in awhile. I usually get one "sound bite" out of them, or a reminder of something my regular trainer has said to me.

wildlifer
Jun. 16, 2011, 10:07 PM
I'd agree with hldryhrses. Clinics are there to occassionally offer fresh eyes on you and your horse. But overall, your money is much better spent on regular lessons.

hydro101
Jun. 16, 2011, 10:10 PM
I would less-recommend Bonnie Mosser and Definitely recommend Eric Dierks - not on your list. Did a clinic with both of them recently and would absolutely go back to Eric, not to Bonnie (for the money per clinician).

lstevenson
Jun. 17, 2011, 02:27 AM
Lucinda is one of the best there is for cross country! She'd be my pick.

http://www.MyVirtualEventingCoach.com
Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/pages/My-Virtual-Eventing-Coach/121366797928434)

goodmorning
Jun. 17, 2011, 10:31 AM
Are you in Area 1?

I'd love to clinic with Linda Allen or Lucinda Green...

scubed
Jun. 17, 2011, 10:38 AM
I ditto other recommendations. Pick one clinician, preferably one you can see repeatedly or pick a good local instructor who also clinics with one of the top clinicians and will go and watch your clinic lesson and possibly do their own. When I was in Michigan, I rode with Cathy Henderson regularly and many of us went to Jim Graham clinics 2-4 times per year. Cathy rode with him and watched our lessons and was able to incorporate what we got from the clinics into our routine lessons. For me, this was a fabulous.

If you just go to a lot of different clinicians, you will get advice that may seem conflicting (though probably not really) or confusing to you and since they do not know your horse, it probably won't add as much to your overall training. If you are interested in what different clinicians have to say, consider auditing some different clinics

evntr5218
Jun. 17, 2011, 10:38 AM
I second the Lucinda Green clinic!!! Shes very thorough without being overly complicated!!!!

Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl
Jun. 17, 2011, 12:32 PM
That's a strong list of clinicians! I doubt Linda Allen will be coaching XC (though who knows!) but she is really phenomenal, and working with her would undoubtedly give you good insight for working through her 101 Jumping Exercises book.

How many clinics to do is definitely something to think about. Sometimes getting a variety of perspectives can crack open an issue for a rider, or open new horizons. Other times it can be confusing, contradictory, and turn the rider into an ineffective or argumentative mess. For me, having a couple weeks to play with each clinicians suggestions before heading off for new input maximizes my learning.

FWIW, my pick 4 would probably be Bobby, Sharon, Linda and Lucinda, but they are the 4 I know best and have ridden with the most, so I guess I'm biased.

RiverBendPol
Jun. 17, 2011, 12:43 PM
Ashley MacVaugh
-Robert Costello
-Stephie Baer
-Bonnie Mosser
-Lucinda Green

I've ridden with all of these guys and each one, in his/her own way, is fantastic. Depends what you need/want to get out of the clinic. Have fun...

gmcq66
Apr. 27, 2012, 07:19 AM
Alix Szepesi is a great clinician too, with focus on dressage but big into cross-training. Her info is at: www.NorthShoreDressage.com

SLR
Apr. 27, 2012, 08:31 AM
Lucinda, and most definately Bonnie. Have heard good things about Eric Dierks.

ThirdCharm
Apr. 27, 2012, 02:33 PM
Lucinda, hands down. Also agree that too many cooks can spoil the sauce.... Best to have a good local instructor and clinic occasionally with a clinician that local instructor also rides with. Especially if you are just starting out it is important to have a comprehensive 'system', and it can get confusing if you try to approach your riding from too many angles. When you are more experienced it is easier to pick and choose aspects of a clinician's approach that work with the system you are using, to modify your system, or even say "ahah, so THAT is why that was not working!" and step out of it somewhat without throwing the baby out with the bathwater.....

Jennifer

piaffequeen
Apr. 27, 2012, 04:37 PM
I've heard good things about Bobby and know him from when I volunteer at the Carolina Horse Park.

Heard a couple of negatives for Bonnie but it may not have been the right clinic for them.

One person not on your list who I HIGHLEY RECOMMEND is Caroline Atherholt. She holds mini camps at her farm in VA-she has xc jumps on her farm and is just a great teacher. She instills confidence in her students and their horses. :cool:

Have fun!

Curb Appeal
Apr. 27, 2012, 05:06 PM
I did a Linda Allen clinic a few years ago. I learned a ton and had a great time, even though my little grade horse and I were way out of our element.

They're not on your list, but had an awesome time riding in one of Becky Holder's clinics and I know a lot of folks who love Eric Dierks.