PDA

View Full Version : Anyone bring along a companion horse to rec. events?

Lori T
Jun. 16, 2011, 01:13 PM
I am facing a dilemma...my boarder is finally closing on her farm in about a month, meaning it will just be Tucker, my draftx and Imp, my daughter's retired mare.
To begin with, Tucker is horrible at trailering alone. To the point that I really try to make sure I have a friend to trailer with me..I even offer to trailer them for free, the trade off for a stress free trailering is worth it! (he is a big boy, and after about 30 minutes, he starts pawing and getting the trailer rocking and rolling...forwards and sideways! With a companion, he is absolutely quiet!).
Imp is attached to Tucker and the boarders horse. I am now leasing a very small farm and the three horses are turned out together, the barn is small and so they have formed their own little herd. When we used to compete her, (and I leased a bigger facility) she had to have solitary turnout as she would become attached and after one difficult trailering attempt to a recognized show, we had to turn back and bring her buddy along...for 3 days, we trailered in and left her buddy tied to the trailer. After that, I said no more, and we weaned her off all her friends. But after she was retired and I moved to this new farm, I let her have buddies again.
So my issue is, come fall, when the weather is cooler and I attempt to start showing, if I leave Imp behind, she is going to have anxiety attacks all weekend long if she is by herself. And Tucker will be a pain to trailer alone. But I can solve both problems if I bring her along too. Of course, it would mean added expense of stabling. So does anyone else have this problem and need to bring along an extra?

lcw579
Jun. 16, 2011, 01:17 PM
Don't know about these days but I do know that my old pony spent his later years as a companion to a mare that showed in the big leagues and was a mess if he wasn't there. He always did have a way with the ladies. ;) This was probably 20 years ago though. So not much help. But if the hunter people allowed it - why wouldn't the eventers?

SevenDogs
Jun. 16, 2011, 01:31 PM
Most places that have enough stabling seem to allow it. There are quite a few facilities with limited stabling, so I would guess it will be a problem at those shows.

Call the organizers and ask them (or e-mail). It won't be the strangest question they get by a long shot.

One question though, if the two horses are that attached, will they object when it is time to leave and go out to compete?

PRS
Jun. 16, 2011, 01:32 PM
If my best friend wants to take her mare anywhere she has to have a companion in the trailer. She will absolutely panic if she is alone in the trailer. It's not a big deal, she chooses events accordingly. If there is no one else going with her she she either drags a compatible horse out of her herd and loads her up too or she takes a different horse. Once at an event the mare willingly leaves the companion to compete but you'd better not try to take the companion away from her or she will go into a full blown panic.

Bensmom
Jun. 16, 2011, 02:06 PM
I always did it with Buzz -- he traveled everywhere with Ben -- shoot, sometimes if they were on stall rest, and all I was doing was grooming, I had to take them anyway, as there was no one to deal with them at home.

Later I have done it as a way to get the new horses acclimated to going to shows. Even at shows like Red Hills, where we had stabling limited, there are usually a few scattered non-competing horses there.

Mostly it hurts your pocketbook, but as long as an event had adequate stalls, I had no problems doing it :)

CdnRider
Jun. 16, 2011, 10:54 PM
Not that it helps you Lori, but I'm happy to hear I'm not the only one with a horse like this! I would sometimes drop a friends horse off literally 5 minutes away from my house and the in that time she was a lathered mess. Not only that but she can get the trailer moving.
With a friend she is happy as a clam.
ETA: I had two 3 year olds last year that took turns getting a lot of miles in the trailer and standing at the trailer, just so the 6 y/o could have a lesson or what not!

gottagrey
Jun. 17, 2011, 12:19 AM
I would also suggest contacting the event & explain your situation. I know at some hunter shows there is an extra fee for nonshowing horses. Some events may or may not have a similar policy - but if they do they might wave it based on your circumstance

Mudroom
Jun. 17, 2011, 08:34 AM
it's usually spelled out in the Omnibus listing, such as: "Non compete horse: $30 each" (plus stabling). I don't think it is that unusual

gully's pilot
Jun. 17, 2011, 08:56 AM
I brought my daughter's pony to an event once. I was making her miss trick-or-treating at home so that I could show, and I made it up to her by letting her ride her pony around the grounds, in costume, and trick or treat there. (The pony loved it!) I didn't get charged a non-compete fee, just for the extra stall.

IFG
Jun. 17, 2011, 09:02 AM
One question. When you leave Imp at stabling to ride Tucker, will she have a melt-down?

Lori T
Jun. 17, 2011, 10:06 AM
One question. When you leave Imp at stabling to ride Tucker, will she have a melt-down?

No, she will be fine. I've trailered them to other functions together and left her in a stall, as long as there is activity around her, she is ok.