PDA

View Full Version : bridles...

maggie32
Jun. 16, 2011, 12:47 AM
anyone have dressage bridle suggestions for a thoroughbred? soft, supple, flash w/ a crank and preferably padded headstall and not too thick noseband that would overwhelm smaller TB type head.

Thanks in advance!

DiablosHalo
Jun. 16, 2011, 07:58 AM
I have one from Dover that is very supple, padded, and has a flash. Not sure if they have a crank option and it may be a bit thick for your TB but worth looking at. I believe it was the Crown model? Was only $100. Very nice for the price and has held up well.

Auto Be A Storm
Jun. 16, 2011, 08:15 AM
I got an ovation dressage bridle with a flash and it is the softest leather in the world, so supple and a very pretty bridle. My TB has a longer head but is still a very fine head and the horse size fits nicley, I did have to make some more holes in the flash, but other then that I love this bridle!!!

NErider
Jun. 16, 2011, 10:50 AM
I have a flash bridle from Kieffer I bought from Dover. I love it! It came out of the bag soft and pliable. Padded crown and noseband, but not too bulky. Its got a little big of "bling" on the browband, but its subtle and i think adorable :D

maggie32
Jun. 16, 2011, 10:52 AM
Okay, thanks for the suggestions. What about the Anky bridle?
I've been trying to look at pictures and can't figure out if it would be too thick or not.

GingerJumper
Jun. 16, 2011, 11:02 AM
I believe the Anky bridles are all sized for a bit larger, Warmblood-ier head. (don't quote me on that though, lol).

I'm preeeeeetty sure they're now legal for eventing dressage, not 100% though, but the Micklem would be worth a try. Dover does a trial on them, I believe. They are wonderful, especially for the sensitive TBs!

GutsNGlory
Jun. 16, 2011, 11:18 AM
If you're on a budget, I bought a cheap Plymouth Dressage Bridle at Rolex from SmartPak as a work bridle for my guy and love it - actually has a very good quality to it and fits perfectly - my boy has a refined TB type head.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/plymouth-dressage-bridle-by-smartpak-7211p.aspx?cm_vc=Search

SmartPak has the Harwich on sale right now - which I believe is very similar, but also has the comfort crown. If I could have gotten it for this price, I probably would have bought this one.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/harwich-padded-dressage-bridle-by-smartpak-7220p.aspx?cm_vc=Search

... and they do have the Harwich with a crank on sale too...

http://www.smartpakequine.com/harwich-padded-crank-noseband-dressage-bridle-by-smartpak-7222p.aspx?cm_vc=Search

maggie32
Jun. 16, 2011, 11:29 AM
Thanks again, I'm willing to spend up to 300 or so. anyone have experience with passier, barnsby, m toulouse, or stubbens? They're the brands my tack store carries (closest is a couple hours away) and wondering if I should make the trip up there or not.

baxtersmom
Jun. 16, 2011, 11:42 AM
Maggie32, I sent you a pm. :)

maggie32
Jun. 16, 2011, 11:48 AM
Maggie32, I sent you a pm. :)

I didn't get it :/

maggie32
Jun. 16, 2011, 11:48 AM
Nevermind, Just got it!

Saskatoonian
Jun. 16, 2011, 12:43 PM
Have you looked at KL Select? I don't like their cheaper Red Barn line, but love the nice ones. I've always found Passiers and Stubbens too stiff.

FairWeather
Jun. 16, 2011, 12:44 PM
I'm always pimping them, but check out Five Star--they are superb!

magnolia73
Jun. 16, 2011, 12:55 PM
I got a Five Star bridle, it was on clearance. It is absolutely lovely. I believe they still have a sale/discounting going on.

My TB has a fairly normal head, albeit with a large jowl. It fits her perfectly though the throat latch is towards the end of holes (does that make sense?) while everything else buckles towards the middle of the holes. I wish I had a photo of it, but it is a nice middle range in terms of size- not too delicate, not too stout.

maggie32
Jun. 16, 2011, 01:03 PM
I got a Five Star bridle, it was on clearance. It is absolutely lovely. I believe they still have a sale/discounting going on.

My TB has a fairly normal head, albeit with a large jowl. It fits her perfectly though the throat latch is towards the end of holes (does that make sense?) while everything else buckles towards the middle of the holes. I wish I had a photo of it, but it is a nice middle range in terms of size- not too delicate, not too stout.

So did you get the horse or cob size?

GutsNGlory
Jun. 16, 2011, 02:08 PM
I've always found Passiers and Stubbens too stiff.

I agree with this on the newer Stubbens. I love the older Stubben bridles though.

My show bridle is an older Passier that we got on ebay for a deal because the name piece had fallen off the crown. It is gorgeous - wonderful soft leather and in good condition. I haven't had much experience with the newer versions.

Leather quality has gone done overall for most tack.

Gilbo
Jun. 16, 2011, 02:35 PM
Pink Equine is awesome: http://www.pinkequine.com/index.html

Where are you located?

nextyear
Jun. 16, 2011, 02:36 PM
I like the Bobby's tack have had them for years and hold up really well, fit the finer heads of TB,s but also will adjust out for a bigger warmblood type. Most of them are priced about $150.00 or less.

maggie32
Jun. 16, 2011, 02:46 PM
so which five star bridle does everyone like?

maggie32
Jun. 16, 2011, 08:24 PM
ugh. bridle hunting is more stressful than it needs to be. if only shipping wasn't so expensive...
Thanks for many replies. Anyone else?

NaniLio
Jun. 17, 2011, 08:48 AM
I second the Harwich bridle from SmartPak. The bridle is far nicer than the price tag would lead you to believe. I have two and the look great on everyone! SmartPak shipping is cheap too ;)

Good luck!!

Saskatoonian
Jun. 17, 2011, 08:52 AM
Not so much a new reply as an idea to narrow your choices, because I realize that a lot of my thoughts on tack are based on what I've seen in tackrooms in barns where I've boarded over the years. I'm currently at a D barn, so have looked at lots of D bridles, and - honestly? - hate all of them but mine. :) But I'm super fussy about leather. Do you know anyone at a bigger barn, so you could go look at bridles without seeming like a whacko? Or are there any big shows nearby this season, with decent trade fairs? Personally, I like hunter tack the best - my favorite is my brown one from The Country Saddler - http://www.thecountrysaddler.com/BRIDLES.html - and I'm pretty sure they also do black.

goodmorning
Jun. 17, 2011, 09:23 AM
I love my Five Star Tack bridle - I have a wide noseband on mine, though its flat so it isn't overwhelming on my TBs head. I also own a breastplate & halter by Five Star...they're a great company to work with & support. I will say that the leather has a sturdier feeling than say, Antares or Hadfields, but softens up nicely and is not lacking in quality :yes:

Behind the 8 Ball
Jun. 17, 2011, 09:38 AM
I'm always pimping them, but check out Five Star--they are superb!

me too!

scubed
Jun. 17, 2011, 09:43 AM
Five Star Tack. If you donate an old bridle (they give it to a rescue) and you get a discount. They may also still be doing the 25% off til end of June. I just ordered this one in black (which is not custom anymore so you get the discount). http://fivestartack.com/bridle_ainsley.php
Great price for the quality.

purplnurpl
Jun. 17, 2011, 10:04 AM
anyone have dressage bridle suggestions for a thoroughbred? soft, supple, flash w/ a crank and preferably padded headstall and not too thick noseband that would overwhelm smaller TB type head.

Thanks in advance!

If you have not ordered yet then I highly recommend a Harwich.

search the h/j forum for Harwich Bridles. I started a thread there last week.

here is the link. H/J peeps are choosing this bridle over other $300-500 bridles such as Edgewood.

I purchased a fancy stitch--when it arrived I then purchased the flash/crank and another fancy stitch.

They all have the comfort crown as well.
Don't be fooled by the price. Of all my bridles: Stubben, Keifer, Bobby's, and expensive double from dressage extensions, this is the nicest.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/harwich-padded-crank-noseband-dressage-bridle-by-smartpak-7222p.aspx?cm_vc=Search

this page has all of the models:
http://www.smartpakequine.com/SearchResults.aspx?page=GRID&free_text=harwich&attribute_value_string|Store_ID=Equine

islgrl
Jun. 17, 2011, 10:14 AM
I just bought the dressage bridle from Five Star Tack. Its lovely! Jamie has been great to work with sorting out sizes. I need a slightly larger browband and she's been very helpful.