PDA

View Full Version : boarding barns in CO

delagarza
Jun. 15, 2011, 04:03 PM
Moving to the outsides of Denver, CO looking for a dressage
boarding barn in that area. Maybe Littleton CO. Any suggestions? Not a show person but likes to take lessons

mjhco
Jun. 15, 2011, 05:24 PM
Go to RMDS.org for information about the area.

LarkspurCO
Jun. 16, 2011, 12:22 AM
Here's one idea for you. I haven't been there but I know a few of the boarders and a very good trainer there.

http://www.tollandfalls.com/tollandhp.html

swgarasu
Jun. 16, 2011, 01:59 PM
If you don't need dressage specific, this place is in Littleton- I have never been there myself-

http://www.cottonwoodridingclub.com

swgarasu
Jun. 16, 2011, 02:03 PM
Go to RMDS.org for information about the area.

I wish there was a good resource for barns in CO- maybe I'm missing something though- do you have a link to a page that has a lot of barns listed on rmds.org? The marketplace page only has 9 places, and I'm guessing that's probably because you have to pay to advertise your barn there- but I could be wrong.

opel
Jun. 16, 2011, 02:32 PM
The sad fact is that we in the south of Denver area are going through a time of changes regarding boarding barns. Douglas county (south of Denver) has many of the nicer dressage barns but the county is now cracking down on all things horse-related.....i.e they don't want horse businesses. Three of the best dressage barns have closed in Douglas county in the last 6 months due to permit/county problems. The barns left open in the Littleton, douglas county area are generally smaller places that are old and have been grandfathered in years ago......or they are currently at risk for being closed also.
You can check out Normandy Farms. Nice barn in the middle of new development in Littleton....grandfathered in.....crazy owners and no turnout but nice barn, nice indoor, good footing, etc. Tolland Falls, Castle Cliff, 8th Heaven and By the Wheh? (don't know much about it) by Castle Rock all offer pluses and minuses. Freedom Farm and (can't remember the name of the barn, Shannon Dahmer trains there) are out by the Colorado Horse Park. Good luck in your search.

LarkspurCO
Jun. 17, 2011, 01:11 AM
Yeah, southern Douglas County isn't a good place to be looking right now, and it's a long haul from Littleton. 8th Heaven (where I ride) and Freedom Farm are both for sale. By the Weghe is a multi-discipline barn but mostly Western/Arab/gaited. Nice big indoor arena but no dressage trainer.

Cottonwood is -- eh -- OK I guess but not my kind of place. Access to trails is about the only plus.

capricorn
Jun. 17, 2011, 05:56 AM
There was another forum on boarding in the Denver area a few months ago. One of the recommendations was www.westmantonstables.com in Castle Rock.

LarkspurCO
Jun. 17, 2011, 11:38 AM
There was another forum on boarding in the Denver area a few months ago. One of the recommendations was www.westmantonstables.com in Castle Rock.

That is Canon Ridge and it is closed.

opel
Jun. 17, 2011, 12:37 PM
Stellar. That's the name of the other barn by Colorado Horse Park. Very odd set up and small indoor but nice, clean place with good footing.

mjhco
Jun. 17, 2011, 12:55 PM

We are all moving to a new place. There will be announcements in the future.

ctanner
Jun. 17, 2011, 01:36 PM

I trained with Sharon in the Dark Ages and she is excellent.She is still in Colorado and if you go to www.westmantonstables.com
you will be able to email her and find out where she is currently located.

LarkspurCO
Jun. 17, 2011, 04:06 PM
We are all moving to a new place. There will be announcements in the future.

I'll be curious to see where you end up.

mjhco
Jun. 17, 2011, 04:07 PM
I trained with Sharon in the Dark Ages and she is excellent.She is still in Colorado and if you go to www.westmantonstables.com
you will be able to email her and find out where she is currently located.

Sharon is THE best.

Cowgirl
Jun. 17, 2011, 05:11 PM
Stellar has the permit problem too.

mjhco
Jun. 17, 2011, 05:17 PM
I think it would be a good thing if all horse owners refused to buy property in Douglas County. Purchase any kinds of goods or services in Douglas County.

Cowgirl
Jun. 17, 2011, 05:57 PM
It really won't make a difference, MJ....Parker and the other Douglas county towns have become like Aurora now...commuter suburbs to Denver and they are getting plenty of revenue from people who have probably never seen a horse! When I first moved to Colorado, Parker was where all the horse action was...now you walk into Safeway to buy a 25 lb bag of juice carrots and everyone in line wants to know what kind of strange carrot diet you are on!! King Soopers in Parker stopped carrying the big bag of horse carrots for a while!

But those of us who work in the big city are having to drive further and further out to board a horse and this means that eventually the commute will make it impossible for us to have a horse and actually get to ever ride it.

LarkspurCO
Jun. 17, 2011, 06:14 PM
Last time I got the big bag of carrots in Castle Rock, I no sooner had it in my cart when a guy walked by and said "Horses!" :lol:

RAyers
Jun. 17, 2011, 06:49 PM
What about north and west? It seems there a quite a few dressage trainers that way (e.g. Dolly Hannon, Petra Warlimont etc.).