PDA

View Full Version : Some good, healing thoughts for my Scooterbug?

B Street Tango
Jun. 15, 2011, 02:07 PM
My boy got kicked in the hock and it got infected into the joint. I discovered it last night when I went out to ride (he was fine when I saw him on Sat). He was walking in rather gingerly but wasn't 3-legged. The whole joint was swollen and there was a small puncture wound that was oozing, so I called the vet immediately. It was after hours but she wanted to see him as soon as she was done with one other call. By the time she got there (about 2 hours) he already was non-weight bearing and the swelling was traveling down the leg. So off to Marion Dupont at Morven Park he went. After some xrays and other diagnostics, they recommended surgery. They found hair and dirt in the joint but the dr said it was one of the least ugly ones he'd seen so I'm optomistic for a good longterm prognosis. I think the next 24 hours wil be the most telling as we need some time for the antibiotics to kick in and the swelling to subside. So any extra jingles, good thoughts, joo-joo you might have would be greatly appreciated! TIA!

wishnwell
Jun. 15, 2011, 02:22 PM
Praying for you. There was a horse at our barn that had a similar accident/injury and the quick response is the key to have a better outcome with these types of injuries. Good luck.

equinelerium
Jun. 15, 2011, 04:24 PM
Major healing thoughts coming your way! I had a horse with a puncture wound dangerously close to the hock-he didn't need surgery but did spend several days in the horsey hospital. He ended up recovering nicely, but it sure is a scary thing to go through.

bornfreenowexpensive
Jun. 15, 2011, 07:00 PM
Sending lots of jingles! Hope it heals well and quick.

JER
Jun. 15, 2011, 07:04 PM
It sounds like you were vigilant and acted quickly, which is always good with infections.

I hope the recovery goes smoothly.

:)

BigRuss1996
Jun. 15, 2011, 07:37 PM
Sounds like you caught it quickly and are on the right track....I hope the rest of his recovery goes smoothly. Think positive....Sending good thoughts your way!

mkevent
Jun. 15, 2011, 08:13 PM
Sending major jingles your way!!

slp2
Jun. 15, 2011, 08:54 PM
Major jingles! Scary stuff. At least you were right on top of it. My poor older mare is going through this due to a laceration in her hock. For the first 2 weeks, it seemed to be healing fine, then she went 3 legged lame. Another vet is coming tomorrow, we think the infection is in the tissues around the joint. Hope your guy has a full recovery!

eventer_mi
Jun. 15, 2011, 09:35 PM
Jingling loud and hard over here!!!

B Street Tango
Jun. 15, 2011, 10:43 PM
Thanks guys. I went out to check on him tonight and he looked comfortable. He also looked a whole lot more sound than he had just 24 hours earlier, however, the way I could tell he looked more sound was because he'd begun to stall walk. I had warned them than he sometimes does it. The nurse I spoke with said he'd been doing it off and on all afternoon and that the Dr had seen it earlier and wasn't worried about, even thought it might be good to help get some of the swelling out, as long as he wasn't frantic or neurotic about it. So she said she'd keep an eye him. I kind of figured if it wasn't bothering him that badly, maybe it was good sign. Of course, I have no idea what kind of pain relief he is on. If he needs it, they'll give him a mild tranq to keep him quiet.

Fingers crossed he continues to be happy and progress. Thanks for the well wishes!!

B Street Tango
Jun. 17, 2011, 01:08 PM
Yeah, latest update from the vet was very positive. Most of the swelling has come down except for the outside of the hock, where the original puncture wound was. He hopefully gets to come home monday!

Mukluk
Jun. 17, 2011, 01:12 PM
Big JINGLES for your Scooterbug (love the name!!!) and HUGS to you. He's lucky to have such a good caring mama!!!

Janet
Jun. 17, 2011, 03:14 PM
Yeah, latest update from the vet was very positive. Most of the swelling has come down except for the outside of the hock, where the original puncture wound was. He hopefully gets to come home monday!

Glad to hear it. Definitely a scary injury. Keeping my fingers crossed.