PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Charlottesville(ish) VA, suggestions??

skip916
Jun. 15, 2011, 12:19 PM
My life make-over is getting exciting, and I found a great job at a farm just outside of Charlottesville, VA. I am moving from GA and have lived down here my entire life- but luckily, Charlottesville reminds me so much of a bigger Athens, that I felt right at home! I am leaving all of my friends and family, but I feel like this is where I am supposed to be. will be moving up with my mare and two dogs in tow in the next couple of weeks and I wanted some suggestions on a few things from the COTH eventing community!

1. a good dog groomer (poodle) in the Charlottesville/Scottsville area?

2. names of venues that do combined tests and fun little schooling shows? (Mare and I are not ready to test the "recognized" waters up there yet)

3. small animal vet recommendations

4. fun places to meet people? I am 28 and a little too old for the purely college bar scene ;)

Thanks for any suggestions/wisdom!

AliCat518
Jun. 15, 2011, 12:31 PM
Charlottesville is great! I lived in Earlysville (10 min outside cville) all of my life, then in the city for a few years and now im in Fluvanna (20ish min outside of cville). I love it! Scottsville is beautiful with the James River running through it!

1. I have no clue about a dog groomer, although im looking for one also!

2. I dont event, but I do small hunter schooling shows. If interested at all, the venues are: Four Oaks, Rivanna Run, Crossing Pointe, The Barracks.

3. There are quite a few great small animal vets in the charlottesville area. In town, there is Georgetown Animal Clinic (I would recommend this one the most). I also like Earlysville Animal Clinic (probably too much of a drive for you!) and Crossroads Animal Clinic (also a bit of a drive).

4. For meeting people, stay AWAY from the "corner" which is where the University is. (And for the record, dont call UVA's area "campus." I did that for awhile and people do NOT like it. They call it "grounds." )

The downtown mall is fantastic. Every Friday in the late spring/summer/early fall, we have "Fridays After 5" at the end of the mall in the pavillion, where we have awesome bands come in. We get some pretty great bands. All different kinds of music and its FREE! Also has some great people watching!

If you ever want someone to show you around, let me know!

Hunt'sEndFarm
Jun. 15, 2011, 12:32 PM
Charlottesville is a fantasic place to live! I've been here nearly my whole life, with the exception of being away 4 years at college.

Not sure about grooming but Crossroads is a great small animal vet in Gordonsville--prob about half hour drive. Dr. Davis got her start as an equine vet for Old Dominion.

There's lots of small hunter (yuck!) shows in the zion's crossroads, palmyra area. Four Oaks, Rivanna Run, Crossing Point. All have websites i think.

Millington in Free Union holds some combined tests every once in awhile.

As far as socially (I'm 29 and consider myself too old for the bars) I try to incorporate anything horsey as well! This coming Sunday there is a benefit polo game at King Family Vineyards in Crozet (they hold polo at the winery every sunday) as well as lots of trail rides with all the local hunt clubs which usually end with a picnic.

Let me know if you have any other questions! And welcome to VA!!

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions!

AliCat518
Jun. 15, 2011, 12:42 PM
Ohhh, HuntsEndFarm, good suggestion! King Family's polo matches are always fun! You can do a tasting, buy a few bottles and set out a blanket and watch. Very fun!!

I also forgot Belmont, which is kind of the up and coming new area (well I suppose its actually kind of established now!) Its a small area with a few great restaurants. If you want to check them out, The Local is my favorite in Belmont.

skip916
Jun. 15, 2011, 12:51 PM
thanks so much for the suggestions and i hope i get to meet ya'll when i get up there! LOVE polo matches, so that will be a definite!

we tried to eat at the local when i was up there but they were closed on sunday! :( can't wait to go back!

we are used to foxhunting a good bit down here in winter, and hope to find a hunt club to hang with up there. i am a tad worried about the winters up there but i guess that just means i get to buy fleece lined breeches ;)

LisaB
Jun. 15, 2011, 01:04 PM
For dressage and ct's, Penny Ross rocks! www.vahorsetrials.com (http://www.vahorsetrials.com). She puts on ct's, hp's and fix a tests throughout the year.
You're south of c-ville? Don't know a vet nor a groomer. If you're north, then I can help you out.
Yeah, I work with some 20 somethings and it's hard to meet people in cville that aren't college or that are family types. But there's a crew of younger eventers in the area and they seem to get together. I have friended some on fb and I see their plans and stuff. So there is a social life to be had.

Event4Life
Jun. 15, 2011, 01:10 PM
For dressage and ct's, Penny Ross rocks! www.vahorsetrials.com (http://www.vahorsetrials.com). She puts on ct's, hp's and fix a tests throughout the year.
You're south of c-ville? Don't know a vet nor a groomer. If you're north, then I can help you out.
Yeah, I work with some 20 somethings and it's hard to meet people in cville that aren't college or that are family types. But there's a crew of younger eventers in the area and they seem to get together. I have friended some on fb and I see their plans and stuff. So there is a social life to be had.

I just wanted to chime in and second VA Horse Trials. They are awesome & introduced me to eventing....really well run unrec CTs/HTs with such a fun, welcoming atmosphere. The venues are beautiful - Millington Farm, Grayson Farm & Toad Hollow Farm are my favourite venues for CTs (all three), HTs (Grayson) small HJ shows (Millington & Grayson), clinics (Toad Hollow & prob. Grayson too). The HT they do 1x a season at Lexington is also lots of fun. Grayson is in Scottsville & has a fun X-Country course which they offer for schooling days. Plain Dealings Farm, next door, I believe also offers x-country schooling though I've never been there.

Oh and ETA: Not horsey but.... Definitely go tubing on the James River with James River Runners in Scottsville (hope they still exist!). It's such a fun, relaxing day out. You pack a picnic and float in a tube down the river, stopping off at beaches and islands to swim. You can also canoe/kayak which JRR will provide (or they'll provide transport to drop off if you have your own).

FitToBeTied
Jun. 15, 2011, 01:18 PM
Where in Charlottesville are you going to be? Sometimes getting around Charlottesville can be a bit difficult.

AliCat518
Jun. 15, 2011, 01:22 PM
I second tubing/canoeing/kayaking down the James! James River Runners is still there and is great, but a little hard to find! James River Reeling and Rafting is right in the middle of Scottsville and they do the same thing.

skip916
Jun. 15, 2011, 02:06 PM
i am so excited about tubing- that sounds like so much fun! i just need to recruit people to go with!

thanks for the info about the horse trials venues! i will have the Plain Dealing xc course in my back yard so that is exciting!

LisaB
Jun. 15, 2011, 02:43 PM
So you'll be south. There's also schooling at Grayson, right around the corner from Plain Dealing.
Are you at an eventing barn? There's only like 3 eventing barns down there and Grayson is more dr. All three are super.
Then there's Toad Hollow and Wavertree (don't board there unless you're a barefooter!) out west.
And oh Brookhill is south as well.

skip916
Jun. 15, 2011, 02:52 PM
i'll be working/living/riding/boarding at plain dealing but really want to know where i can go locally for little dressage shows, hunter paces, jumper shows, mini trials etc.- so all this info is so useful- thanks so much!

Event4Life
Jun. 15, 2011, 03:40 PM
i'll be working/living/riding/boarding at plain dealing but really want to know where i can go locally for little dressage shows, hunter paces, jumper shows, mini trials etc.- so all this info is so useful- thanks so much!

Ah cool! Plain Dealings is beautiful & the Strinis are great. I've always had a soft spot for Grayson too as it was the first place I ever rode (a friend's horse), and coincidentally the last HT I ever did with my first pony.

For little dressage shows and clinics of all sorts I definitely recommend Toad Hollow. Back when I rode there they had a few grad students who boarded too, so I'd imagine there would be people around your age attending the clinics/shows etc.

Charlottesville is a fun town. My family lived outside C'ville for 10 years (longest I've ever lived anywhere). Feel free to PM me if you have any questions/need reassurance about anything at all! I know a few people who used to work at Plain Dealings and they've all had nothing but good things to say.

Hunt'sEndFarm
Jun. 15, 2011, 04:20 PM
I just did the Farmington Hunt Club (they have website) hunter pace at Chapel Springs Farm in Free Union. It was incredible. There was everything from logs all the way up to prelim xc fences along the way. Was a beautiful farm and great group of people there!

AliCat518
Jun. 15, 2011, 04:38 PM
I totally forgot about Toad Hollow (considering I do hunters!) but my good friend has worked there for a few years and shows many of their Fresians in dressage. Its a beautiful farm with really nice people. IIRC, they have a nice indoor (or at least covered) and a pretty nice outdoor!

faybe
Jun. 15, 2011, 06:59 PM
A third for Penny Ross and her schoolig shows, and I love schooling at Grayson! It's a fun area, I hope you enjoy it. I lived in Lexington for 5 years and we used to drive over to cville to shop and have dinner. Is that tapas restaurant Bang still there? It was always delicious.

Ldbgcoleman
Jun. 15, 2011, 11:01 PM
I think you should get settled in and invite your Ga friends to come visit and hang out :)

IronwoodFarm
Jun. 16, 2011, 05:41 AM
You are so lucky to be going to Plain Dealing Farm. It is like heaven there and the people are the best. It even has Fjords, so it can't be more perfect! ;)

skip916
Jun. 16, 2011, 11:19 AM
lbdg- you KNOW i am expecting visits from my GA friends! I would be mad if you didn't come!

ironwood- the fjords are fabulous! i had a fit playing with the babies when i went up to interview and my cottage overlooks the fjord pasture so that's the first thing i will see every day! im actually already planning to do a little series of fjord paintings- so excited.

lovey1121
Jun. 16, 2011, 06:54 PM
OMG you will be living in Paradise!! Oh, to be young again... congrats to you-I hope its all you wished for and more.

lizanne
Jun. 16, 2011, 07:13 PM
I use Piedmont Veterinary Services in Keene - about 5 minutes from P.D.

skip916
Jun. 17, 2011, 09:32 AM
lizanne- is that the one on the corner with the green and white building? i was wondering what it was called!

LisaB
Jun. 17, 2011, 11:14 AM
I think Plain Dealing uses Old Dominion.

IQ3day14
Jun. 17, 2011, 04:35 PM
Hi! Welcome to Cville (Scottsville). This is a really great place and you are going to love it! It looks like people are giving you advice on most aspects. I def. recommend Georgetown Vet.

But... as far as the social part! There are a huge group of eventers here. We all range in age (22-34ish). But go out towns. Yes, we visit the corner. But mostly we go out on the DT Mall. On Saturday nights we usually go to The Box. DANCING. And in fact, a few of the girls have met their significant others there. We also love to go tubing, floating and just plain swimming in various rivers. Usually we do dinners during the weeks. Cville has some of the greatest restaurants!

Please private message me and you can join in!
Coren Morgan

skip916
Jun. 17, 2011, 09:32 PM
thanks so much and i sent you a pm! i am beyond excited now- moving next weekend! i need to get off the computer and go pack!

LisaB
Jun. 19, 2011, 07:33 AM
Yeah, watch out for IQ :D She'll completely corrupt you into staying c-ville and having very funny fb posts!

southhillstables
Jun. 19, 2011, 08:46 AM
Jumping on this boat. I am headed to move back to Charlottesville this week. Was there a few years ago. Can't wait to return. Can anyone recommend any dressage barns with an arena (doesn't have to be indoor) and good turnout? Here are a few I was thinking of visiting:

High Point Farm - Catherine Sutton
Toad Hollow Farm
Wildair Farm
Spyder Lake Farm

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :-) Skip916- I am 28 as well, would love to get together sometime, let me know. Always good to know more horse people.

riverpup
Jun. 19, 2011, 08:59 AM
Congrats on your new job.

to find schooling shows I use the calendar at www.horsetalkmagazine.com (http://www.horsetalkmagazine.com)

and then google maps to find the places. There is quite a bit going on so you well never be bored around C'ville.

also there is a Charlottesville chapter of Virginia Dressage. www.vadach.org (http://www.vadach.org)

you may want to join or look at
cvacta.org
cdcta.com
www.breventing.org (http://www.breventing.org)

skip916
Jun. 19, 2011, 12:56 PM
southhill- yay! can't wait to meet you! i vote we meet up with IQ's crowd and take over c-ville as the most fun group of horsey girls/guys ever...

thanks riverpup- great links!

LisaB
Jun. 20, 2011, 08:38 AM
Southill, I wintered for 2 winters at Spyder Lake. I adore Lauren! She does feed round bales and that doesn't cut it for us while in competition mode as my horse needs more than that.
I did not like the dressage person's way of teaching though. I like a demanding instructor and she was very 'soft' I would say. Very nice girl though!

southhillstables
Jun. 20, 2011, 10:56 AM
Thanks Lisa :-) I think for now, I am going to bring him to High Point Farm in Afton with Catherine Sutton as a starting place. My friend lives on-site so that makes me feel at ease. Now just waiting on the shipper :-) I am driving down tomorrow from VT, it's a trek. Can't wait to meet everyone and be back in Charlottesville. Although the weather here has been sunny, breezy and perfect lately.

AliCat518
Jun. 20, 2011, 11:04 AM
So many COTHer's coming to charlottesville! How fun. :) We should definitely all get together sometime!