PDA

View Full Version : What to do when the Loose Stallion on Course Comes Your Way - Video

Lou Ann RNSVideo
Jun. 14, 2011, 08:31 PM
Just uploaded a new post - under the new 'Bloops' category -

http://www.xceventtube.com/2011/06/14/when-the-loose-stallion-on-course-chases-down-your-gelding/

Enjoy!

Lou ANn
RNS

seeuatx
Jun. 14, 2011, 08:45 PM
Aww, what a good little mare! And a smart rider, too.

I have to say when she dismounted to stay safe I was thinking "They'd better not disqualify her for this". But to my mind it took some time from person screaming "he's a stallion" to people actually popping up to help the other rider but that's mostly my "slow mo heart in my throat" vision when watching something that could have gone so very wrong (it's only 45 secs. but it feels like minutes). Glad every one was ok in the end and that nice little mare just went on about her business like nothing had happened.

ETA apparently it's a gelding not a mare being chased down. Poor stallion had himself a bit confused I think.

Duckz
Jun. 14, 2011, 08:45 PM
:eek:

Even better...I think that was a gelding ;)

HorsesinHaiti
Jun. 14, 2011, 09:12 PM
:no: My other worst case scenario fear, and part of why my guy is getting gelded tomorrow. He would pull that on someone if he got me off!

bornfreenowexpensive
Jun. 14, 2011, 09:17 PM
Very impressed she remembered to unclip her vest before getting off!

Reagan
Jun. 14, 2011, 09:36 PM

That is what I was thinking! :lol:

What a good gelding she has, he stood perfectly still while everything was sorted out. Very impressive :yes:

clpony
Jun. 14, 2011, 10:13 PM
:eek:
oh my...
i had a fleeting thought of this pony stallion who was in the xcountry warm up with me and this saucy mare having a similar encounter....well handled.

fivesocks
Jun. 14, 2011, 10:22 PM
Well, it was a cute gelding ;)

wcporter
Jun. 14, 2011, 10:31 PM
love the crop action :D

Digit2009
Jun. 14, 2011, 10:37 PM
I had the same thought about her being smart enough to unclip her air vest before dismounting :winkgrin:

Years ago while in the dressage phase of an event, I was riding towards the judge when she whistled me. I knew I was not off course, but I stopped and looked at her inquiringly. She was standing, smiling, and pointing behind me. The rider in the adjacent dressage ring had come off her horse, and said horse was now in my ring behind my horse following him. My horse never gave me any indication, he was so tuned in to me. They caught the horse and I was allowed to continue, a little flustered :lol:

Later in the day, I thanked her for her kindness and she in turn thanked me for having such a wonderfully well mannered little guy :D

CANTEREOIN
Jun. 14, 2011, 10:44 PM
I hope if the same happens to me, I have the quick quiet thinking that she had... Two thumbs up!

JWB
Jun. 14, 2011, 10:56 PM
I have to say when she dismounted to stay safe I was thinking "They'd better not disqualify her for this". But to my mind it took some time from person screaming "he's a stallion" to people actually popping up to help the other rider .

Nope, they didn't. Looks like she finished in 4th place, on her dressage score. Quick thinking on her part! I would have blown up that vest for sure!

MyssMyst
Jun. 14, 2011, 11:06 PM
What a great rider! I give her massive props for remaining cool in a situation that could have gone so terribly wrong. Big carrot for the horse too.

ake987
Jun. 14, 2011, 11:19 PM
Smart rider, great horse! Love it!

RedRyderKy
Jun. 14, 2011, 11:19 PM
I think the bay's expressions are funny. He seemed to be saying " Hey man I was jumping xc and WTF are you doing in my way?" Kudos to the rider for staying cool in this situation.

vxf111
Jun. 15, 2011, 12:02 AM
She is one cool customer... and what a great horse she has! I would had handled a similar situation with blind panic, myself. :)

yellowbritches
Jun. 15, 2011, 06:30 AM
Thought the same thing! Knowing me, I would have forgotten to unclip, blown my vest, then snagged my spurs together and fallen on my ass, letting my horse loose, who would have then also been loose. :yes:

Kudos to this girl for thinking clearly and not being a klutz when it most counted!

riderboy
Jun. 15, 2011, 07:26 AM
That falls under the "well done" category for the rider and her horse!

equinedriver
Jun. 15, 2011, 01:59 PM
Would love to know how they handled the timing question.........when they deemed that time should have stopped, and if there was a person around with enough foresight to have started a timer for the hold etc. It appears they didn't give her any time penalties, which IMHO was the only fair thing to do, but would be curious. Kudo's to everyone involved and glad no horses or riders were hurt.

katie+tru
Jun. 15, 2011, 02:06 PM
love the crop action :D

Turning her horse around and bopping the stallion on the head and yelling at him was probably the smartest thing you could do. It prevented her horse from kicking him, him from attempting to mount her horse, and it sure seems like the yelling and smack over the head made him stop his pursuit and pause. Continuing to run around probably would've ended badly. I would be a bit leary to get off infront of the stallion because I would be afraid that it might strike out... I would almost feel safer up on my horse. But luckily it seems like he really did stop for a moment and didn't seem to be inclined to start a fight.

katie+tru
Jun. 15, 2011, 02:09 PM
Would love to know how they handled the timing question.........when they deemed that time should have stopped, and if there was a person around with enough foresight to have started a timer for the hold etc. It appears they didn't give her any time penalties, which IMHO was the only fair thing to do, but would be curious. Kudo's to everyone involved and glad no horses or riders were hurt.

At the end of the video it looked like someone told her to start again at a certain point and they would begin timing there. I think they started time at the point where the stallion pretty much ran up her horse's butt. :lol:

Is it okay to guesstimate on hold times and such? This can't be the first time something like this (an unplanned hold between fences) has happened. Is there a standard protocol?

nickers@dawn
Jun. 15, 2011, 02:12 PM
Great job on the part of the rider! It looks like in the beginning the gelding gave the stallion a warning shot on the chest.

I was starting to get scared when the horses came face to face, thinking the stallion was going to rear and strike. Glad it turned out ok.

The rider really keep her cool, I thought she was going to give him a stinging smack on the face with the crop, which may have caused a angry reaction from the stallion. I think she handled the situation well.

hundredacres
Jun. 15, 2011, 02:18 PM
I would have blown up that vest for sure!

LOL...that would be me too! No way would I have been able to react with such calm and grace. And I know that to be true having once rode through a yellow jacket ground nest...my reaction was not good (thank goodness for wise old horses who take care of riders like me).
I would have screamed when I heard "stallion!"...*blush*

bornfreenowexpensive
Jun. 15, 2011, 02:24 PM
As I said earlier...great job by the rider. (I would have blown the vest for sure too).

The stallion really didn't seem to be a bad boy either. Just a bit up and probably a bit young---but he clearly had some manners in there. Just needed a little reminder.

Given the situation....they were all really pretty good.

alicen
Jun. 15, 2011, 04:36 PM
Judicious use of the crop from the rider and admirable restraint with the warning kick from the gelding - a sensible pair.

jenm
Jun. 15, 2011, 04:37 PM
I was there and saw it happening, and as others have said, I was very impressed with how well the rider handled the situation. After it was over, they rode on as if nothing had happened! What a great team.

Had it happened just a few rides earlier when there were young riders out there, I'm not sure the outcome would have been as smooth.

Kudos to the rider.

NorCal
Jun. 15, 2011, 05:00 PM
Both the horse and rider handled that situation very well.

Unfortunately, this is not the first time that Virginian Sky has done this. He did the exact same thing earlier in May on a busy cross country schooling day at Woodside (dumped his rider and chased down another horse). It makes me nervous if this were to happen again how other horses/riders would handle that type of situation. Could be scary.

Livetoride1286
Jun. 17, 2011, 06:46 PM
What a good pony! OMG if that had been me I would have squealed/cried/screamed all at once just making everything worse!!

piaffequeen
Jun. 17, 2011, 08:38 PM
Both the horse and rider handled that situation very well.

Unfortunately, this is not the first time that Virginian Sky has done this. He did the exact same thing earlier in May on a busy cross country schooling day at Woodside (dumped his rider and chased down another horse). It makes me nervous if this were to happen again how other horses/riders would handle that type of situation. Could be scary.

I think its time to geld this guy-if this isn't the first time he has done this. Kudos to the rider for the cool thinking...

chizzle
Jun. 18, 2011, 01:46 PM
I had the same thought about her being smart enough to unclip her air vest before dismounting :winkgrin:

Years ago while in the dressage phase of an event, I was riding towards the judge when she whistled me. I knew I was not off course, but I stopped and looked at her inquiringly. She was standing, smiling, and pointing behind me. The rider in the adjacent dressage ring had come off her horse, and said horse was now in my ring behind my horse following him. My horse never gave me any indication, he was so tuned in to me. They caught the horse and I was allowed to continue, a little flustered :lol:

Later in the day, I thanked her for her kindness and she in turn thanked me for having such a wonderfully well mannered little guy :D

ha ha had a similar situation during one of my dressage tests -when I picked up my test later one of the judge's comments was "handled the loose horse situation nicely":lol:

what a sane horse the rider has...

Oberon13
Jun. 18, 2011, 03:16 PM
I was very impressed with how easily the little guy got back into the game...she brought him around, jumped a practice jump, and he was tuned in and ready to go!!! My pony would have been fried from there on....well done!