PDA

View Full Version : Seneca Valley HT and US Open traffic - Suggestions?

piaffeprincess98
Jun. 14, 2011, 08:50 PM
I'm heading up to Seneca on Saturday and usually take 95 to 495 to River Rd from Stafford County. My dad informed me that the US Open would be on River Rd as well (and he scored tickets for Thursday and is so excited!), but we're not familiar with the area.

I know there's a way to get to Seneca from Point of Rocks, but not the specifics. We've taken the ferry once before after I competed and will never do that again (weekend, an hour long wait and really hot).

So can any locals advise? Does anyone know where Congressional Country Club is in relation to Seneca? Will that traffic affect the event? We need to make a decision the night before because it takes an hour and a half the normal way and will likely take over two hours going to Point of Rocks. Thanks for any info!

NeverTime
Jun. 14, 2011, 10:22 PM
Congressional is right on River Road; the first part of that drive will be miserable. Luckily, there are lots of other ways to get there. Depending on which direction you are coming from, you could approach from the other end of Partnership Road, via Rt. 28 -- seriously, there are a bunch of different exits off I-270 that will get you there.

yellowbritches
Jun. 14, 2011, 10:35 PM
I would avoid 495 and 270 AT ALL COSTS. I live a few miles away from Bittersweet Field (and Congressional), and the traffic around here is THICK (WAY thicker than normal). 270 is busy, River Rd. is busy, I don't even want to think what 495 must be like.

Your best bet (if you aren't going to take the ferry...don't blame you. Pretty weekends SUCK to try to take the ferry), is to go 15N over Point of Rocks. After the bridge you turn immediately right onto 28. Stay on 28 for quite awhile (don't ask mileage)- at some point you will have to turn right to continue on 28 (very clearly marked). Once you get closer to Poolesville you have two choices...I don't know which one is quicker or better.

Choice A: Turn right at the light for 109. Follow 109 for a couple of miles until you get to a 4 way stop sign (downtown Poolesville). Turn left onto 107. Follow 107 through town, then hang a right onto Partnership Rd. Bittersweet Field is a couple of miles on the left.

Choice B: Stay on 28 past 109 and go a few more miles to the light at 112/Seneca Rd (there is a grocery store on the left hand side, a small shopping center on one right hand corner- the Surrey is in there!-, and a Shell station on the other right hand corner). Take a right and follow Seneca Rd. for a few miles (at some point you'll probably start to recognize things). Stay on that road (which will have turned into River) until you hit Partnership on the right...Bittersweet is almost immediately on the right.

Good luck!

yellowbritches
Jun. 14, 2011, 10:37 PM
The reason I say to avoid 270 is that they are doing off site parking at several major locations in MoCo...all of which are right off of 270 (and several of which are reasonable exits to get to Poolesville). Avoiding the highways is best.

asterix
Jun. 14, 2011, 10:42 PM
piaffe, I've used the ways yb describes (most recently, getting to Rubicon in rush hour from Waredaca -- different front end but still 28 to Point of Rocks). Think this is a very good idea.

I'm not sure either which of her ways is better, but I'd look at a map and pick the one that seems to make sense in your head best, so it's less to process.

You come over the bridge on 15 and turn right at the light right at the end of the bridge to get onto 28.

Janet
Jun. 14, 2011, 11:28 PM
I heard on the radio that they are having people park at Dulles airport and take a shuttle. Rt 15 may be busy too.

piaffeprincess98
Jun. 15, 2011, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. We looked at a map last night and were thinking about going to 270 and taking 28. YB, have the highways been busy during the day this week?

If I went to Point of Rocks to 28, is that the same way to get to Loch Moy? I know we turn there, then follow 28, then we turn right to follow 28 and then onto Park Mills Rd. Would I be passing the turn for Park Mills to get to Seneca?

I think I'll Mapquest Loch Moy to Seneca and see how long that takes.

Edited to add that Seneca just updated their website with suggestions.

asterix
Jun. 15, 2011, 09:43 AM
yes, lindsay, that's exactly it -- just like Loch Moy except you don't turn onto Park Mills but follow the rest of yb's directions.
I would stay off 270 if I were you, if that is where the bulk of the Open traffic will be..

gottagrey
Jun. 15, 2011, 01:21 PM
TrAFFIC will be a nightmare pretty much until you get to Potomac Village - they should dissipate some.. Congressional is about 3 miles from 495 River Road Exit and about 15 miles from Bittersweet Field

Point of Rocks/Whites Ferry - is off 15 in VA. I would avoid the Ferry too - the weather looks good for the weekend so that = long waits at the ferry. Point of Rocks is about 10 -15 minutes further along Rt 15. In the past lots of the off-site parking was near Montgomery Mall which would be the Fernwood Road/Democracy Blvd exits off 270. I

IF you took Point of Rocks once you hit 28 you would turn Right (Park Mills would be to the left) Stay on 28 - there are some back roads you could take - depending on your rig probably best to avoid.. So 28 to Seneca Road =- Turn RIGHT at the Harris Teeter/Shell Station - stay on Seneca to Parnership

the other option would be do to as you said 270 to Rt 28 and take exit towards Darnestown - Stay on 28 for several miles - you'll be in a fairly residential type area for about 3-5 miles then turn LEFT onto Seneca Rd - at the harris Teeter/Shell Station Stay on Seneca (you'll pass River Road on left - T -intersection) until you get to Partnership..on the right

Dr. Doolittle
Jun. 15, 2011, 01:56 PM
Whew!, and UGH! :(

I have a student riding first thing in the morning on Sunday, I'll be meeting her there. (I'm going to forward this thread to her.)

Thanks pp (or more specifically, your dad) for bringing this to everyone's attention (and to yb for the directions :))

piaffeprincess98
Jun. 15, 2011, 02:23 PM
Sounds like we'll be going to Point of Rocks then to 28. We just have a two horse tag a long, so windy roads aren't an issue. It just sucks because it will probably add another hour to our trip :(

yellowbritches
Jun. 16, 2011, 08:26 AM
Just to remind anyone still considering 270 from the VA side...you still have to take 495 to get to 270 (which is hell anyway)...and you'll have to go right past the River Rd. exit. I would avoid any of this at all costs. :yes:

FrittSkritt
Jun. 16, 2011, 11:04 AM
I was just going to take 495 to Clara Barton Parkway to Falls Road, which what I did in previous years during the US Open... not ideal, but better than driving 10 miles out of the way.

Beam Me Up
Jun. 16, 2011, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the info everyone.
I love a good leave-the-house-at-4:30 kind of day, but it beats missing dressage!
I am in VA too, so will try the 15-up, 28-down approach.

Dr. Doolittle
Jun. 16, 2011, 01:13 PM
I was just going to take 495 to Clara Barton Parkway to Falls Road, which what I did in previous years during the US Open... not ideal, but better than driving 10 miles out of the way.

Fritt--do you think this route would save me time if I'm coming from home (Fairfax)?

FrittSkritt
Jun. 16, 2011, 02:56 PM
If you're taking the beltway, then definitely. The majority of traffic on River Road will be from the exit off 495 to west of Bradley Blvd (e.g., near the school) since they do offsite parking west of that intersection. It's a little longer mileage-wise than the direct route from River Road, but I never had issues with it before. Bonus: you can stop at Sprinkles, the ice cream store at the intersection of Falls Road and River Road. :) They have delicious low-fat vanilla yogurt... but I get not-so-low-fat toppings mixed in.

Dr. Doolittle
Jun. 16, 2011, 11:11 PM
If you're taking the beltway, then definitely. The majority of traffic on River Road will be from the exit off 495 to west of Bradley Blvd (e.g., near the school) since they do offsite parking west of that intersection. It's a little longer mileage-wise than the direct route from River Road, but I never had issues with it before. Bonus: you can stop at Sprinkles, the ice cream store at the intersection of Falls Road and River Road. :) They have delicious low-fat vanilla yogurt... but I get not-so-low-fat toppings mixed in.

Thanks! I will need to look at a map and compare mileages. LOL, as for the stop at Sprinkles, alas, not going to happen this Sunday--I will *surely* be running late (or at least with "no time to spare") on the way there in the AM to coach (not that they will even be open at 7:30 AM :eek:), and on the way back, will not have time to waste since we are planning to go down and visit my parents for Father's Day. Drat!

I am hoping that the Saturday competitors will weigh in with their experiences; this will give we Sunday folks a better idea of how much extra time we need to allow...

gottagrey
Jun. 17, 2011, 01:14 AM
UPDATE: I commute from Tysons Corner to home on the other side of Potomac - today it was a NIGHTMARE. Rain didn't help. Frittskitt - I wouldn't recommend Clara Barton/MacArthur Route either - that's the way I came home tonight and was log jammed from just above Old Angler's Inn all the up to Falls Road. They had traffic cops directing & I think they let 4 cars go at a time. What is normally a 5-10 minute drive was about 45 minutes!

I hate to say it but for anyone coming over from VA either stay on 270 to 28 OR go Point of Rocks...

Ditto for the way home = and don't forget some bike clubs love these MD roads too

Beam Me Up
Jun. 17, 2011, 07:36 AM
Do you guys think it will be bad even early? Like, before 7:00?

LexInVA
Jun. 17, 2011, 08:06 AM
Do you guys think it will be bad even early? Like, before 7:00?

Yes. It will get horrendous pretty quickly.

Dr. Doolittle
Jun. 17, 2011, 10:23 AM
:sigh:

UGH.

gottagrey
Jun. 17, 2011, 01:10 PM
I think if you get out on the road early - like before 7:00 you might be okay... I would plan even earlier to be on the safe side though...

My AM friday report - Cruised down River (towards DC) no problem but I turn on Falls to McArthur/Clara Barton. about 8 tour buses lined up going the other direction onto Falls - probably taking Falls to Fernwood/Montgomery Mall area - that used ot be a big shuttle lot area for the tourn. but other than that Traffic Okay - I would venture to say will probably be worst 9-11 am and then late in the afternoon 4-6/7 pm... I can report my trip home this afternoon which will hopefully be around 3 pm..

Good luck everyone !!

Zoomd
Jun. 17, 2011, 01:58 PM
Ugh. Guess ill be taking tiny windy roads to avoid this mess. Anyone else having trouble with the Seneca site? I don't even know my times and the site isnt working!!

FrittSkritt
Jun. 17, 2011, 03:25 PM
I wonder if Democracy Blvd is any better?

FrittSkritt
Jun. 17, 2011, 05:42 PM
Also, check the TrafficLand map for traffic flow and live cameras... has helped me MANY a time before!

http://www.trafficland.com/city/WAS/index.html

gottagrey
Jun. 18, 2011, 01:23 AM
Could be - I breezed home this afternoon - at 3:00pm. traffic heavy on 270 south though. I would hope that traffic will be better since there is no rush hour to deal with and lets hope MDOT and VDOt have some brains about construction - oh wait I didn't say that really did I':lol:

piaffeprincess98
Jun. 18, 2011, 07:58 PM
Well update from Saturday. We left the house at 8:15 anticipating to go the long way through Point of Rocks which takes 2.5 hours. Got to the end of the driveway and listened to WTOP and they said no delays, so we took a chance. We breezed all the way through 495 and got to River Rd about 9:30. There was a slight slowdown where the police were directing traffic into the entrance of the Country Club, but that was it. Got there in our usual 1.5 hours.

On the way home, passing through about 5pm, same thing, just some police direction. 495/95 was another story, but that's just usual. Traffic only added about 15 mins total to our time and we were home by 6:30.

So, I'm headed up tomorrow to work with GRC and I think I'll be ok in the morning, and will listen to the radio in the evening to see how late they go.

Dr. Doolittle
Jun. 18, 2011, 09:27 PM
Whew! Thanks for the update, pp. My one student's mom (also shooting for GRC :)) left me a VM saying basically the same thing. I am planning to go up 15 and take the ferry in the morning (it will be SO early, 7:30ish, that the ferry should be empty), but I do NOT plan to take it going back! Should I chance going the Beltway/River Rd. route? I'm thinking that anyone who is going to watch the Open will already be there when I'm leaving Seneca, which will be at 1:00ish.

Duckz
Jun. 18, 2011, 09:34 PM
Whew! Thanks for the update, pp. My one student's mom (also shooting for GRC :)) left me a VM saying basically the same thing. I am planning to go up 15 and take the ferry in the morning (it will be SO early, 7:30ish, that the ferry should be empty), but I do NOT plan to take it going back! Should I chance going the Beltway/River Rd. route? I'm thinking that anyone who is going to watch the Open will already be there when I'm leaving Seneca, which will be at 1:00ish.

I'm planning on taking 495 to River Rd and same going back. Doesn't sound like it was too bad today. I'll be on River Rd by 7:00 tomorrow morning and should be leaving around 1 as well.

Btw...my alarm is set for 3:00, pulling out of the barn at 4:10. I think I should stop requesting late dressage times, it seems to have the opposite of the desired effect :lol:

Dr. Doolittle
Jun. 18, 2011, 11:07 PM
I'm planning on taking 495 to River Rd and same going back. Doesn't sound like it was too bad today. I'll be on River Rd by 7:00 tomorrow morning and should be leaving around 1 as well.

Btw...my alarm is set for 3:00, pulling out of the barn at 4:10. I think I should stop requesting late dressage times, it seems to have the opposite of the desired effect :lol:

You have my sympathies! Maybe I should go that way after all? Will check traffic.com in the AM, and make my decision (am going to write down some alternate routes before I go to bed. Which will be shortly.) Yeah, all you can do it try to request certain ride times; if the orangizers can do it, they *might* try, otherwise, eh...it's a crapshoot! :p