PDA

View Full Version : HELP ! Accident on I 75 s. of atl. 3 event horse !

tuppysmom
Jan. 5, 2006, 09:54 AM
Gary and Sara were just rear ended by a semi on I75 near exit 188. Truck and trl cannot move. Need transport for 3 horses anyone know of someone close??? Please call me 208 870-1856 at home in ID or Gary at 208-871-3522 in GA. Thanks for any help

tuppysmom
Jan. 5, 2006, 09:54 AM
Gary and Sara were just rear ended by a semi on I75 near exit 188. Truck and trl cannot move. Need transport for 3 horses anyone know of someone close??? Please call me 208 870-1856 at home in ID or Gary at 208-871-3522 in GA. Thanks for any help

moonriverfarm
Jan. 5, 2006, 10:01 AM
Call Taylor Ridge Farm in Northport, AL, Bob Taylor does horse transport and is a good fellow. Also maybe call Chastain Park Equestrain center and ask. I'm too far away or would help.... http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/cry.gif

EW
Jan. 5, 2006, 10:05 AM
Here are the area 3 contacts:

Area Chairman

JJ Johnson
114 Harpeth Trace Drive
Nashville, TN 37221
(615) 352-3208
(615) 352-7345 (fax)
Email: jj_j@msn.com

Active Rider Representatives

Kyle Carter
PO Box 32
Sparr, FL 32192
(352) 595-1735
Email: fivering@hotmail.com

Adult Rider Representative

Debi Crowley
26846 Lambert Rd.
Elkmont, AL 35620
(256) 423-6340
Email: dcrowley@hiwaay.net

Adult Rider Coordinator

Robin Bass
1437 Lassiter Rd
Forsyth, GA 31029
(770) 775-1444
Email: robinb@us.ibm.com

Board of Governors
Area Representatives

Jennifer Akers
111 Shady Branch Trail
Ormond Beach, FL 32174
(386) 673-5575

Patte Clement
200 Jabo Drive
Killen, AL 35645
(256) 757-1787
Email: chuckdeez@aol.com

Mike Sigman, Sr. DVM
10020 City Pond Road
Covington, GA 30014
(770) 787-3912
Email: msigman@bellsouth.net

Gary Stegman
Poplar Place Farm
8191 US Hwy 27 East
Hamilton, GA 31811
(706) 582-3742
Email: gary@poplarplacefarm.com

Area Treasurer

Jane Barron
187 El Destine Road
Monticello, FL 32344
(850) 997-8484
Email: jbarron07@aol.com

Young Rider Coordinator

Betty Bolte
165 Orchard Road
Taft, TN 38488
(931) 425-0163
Email: BJBolte@bellsouth.net

Young Rider Advanced Program Coordinator

Maggie Zerkus
355 Old Farm Rd.
Fayetteville, GA 30215
Email: zerkus@bellsouth.net

Active Young Rider Representative

Brittany Kart
5649 Orchard Place Crossing SW
Lilburn, GA 30047
(770) 381-2150
Email: kartsland@aol.com

Area Organizer Representative

Glenn Wilson
1393 Augusta Road
Thomson, GA 30824
(706) 595-3792
Email: glenn@pinetopfarm.com

Area III Website

http://www.area3.addr.com

Affiliate Eventing Association's Area Representative

Susan Hughes
13 Vaux Park Lane
Newnan, GA 30263
770-713-6307
Email: Suelhughes@aol.com

tuppysmom
Jan. 5, 2006, 10:10 AM
Robin Bass' husband is on the way to pick them up. I know that one of the horses is injured. He was knocked into the stall of the horse in front of him. Tony is trapped in the rear stall,the door of the trl has him pinned against the divider, but he appears to be OK.

Oh my, Oh my.

Thanks all.

kookicat
Jan. 5, 2006, 10:11 AM
How awful!! I hope everyone is okay- will you keep us updated?

Jingling!

circusponydreams
Jan. 5, 2006, 10:15 AM
Ugh, I hope everyone's alright.

gahawkeye
Jan. 5, 2006, 10:18 AM
Rob Law (Mr. Robin Bass) is a great "fireman" - always willing to come to the rescue... he will take great care of them. Jingling...

q's mom
Jan. 5, 2006, 10:27 AM
Jingles from Florida for a safe outcome!! http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/sadsmile.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

3dazey
Jan. 5, 2006, 10:37 AM
Ooooh tuppysmom, hang in there. gahawkeye is right, Rob is just the man for this situation...he'll get everything sorted out.

austin
Jan. 5, 2006, 10:46 AM
nobody better than Rob for the job. he is great guy and cool under pressure.

hope everyone is okay. i hate I-75.

Bensmom
Jan. 5, 2006, 10:50 AM
I'm with austin -- I hate I-75 too. The only time it isn't bad is late at night when most of the trucks are at the rest areas.

More jingles from here -- please let us know how they are!

Libby

Lori T
Jan. 5, 2006, 11:04 AM
Oh my, I am praying that everyone is ok. This is my worst nightmare. Everyone is in my prayers.
Lori
http://www.calypsofarm.piczo.com

tuppysmom
Jan. 5, 2006, 11:19 AM
Rob is on site. The tow truck co. is trying to rig up a hitch so the trl can be move off I75 to a safe place to unload. The gooseneck hitch broke right off and the trl tried to climb onto the back of the trk. Good thing the safety chains held.

They got sandwitched between 2 semi's. One truck cut them off and then stopped, or slowed waaaay down. Gary got stopped without hitting that truck, but the one behind plowed right into the back of our Featherlite 38 footer. It is now considerably shorter. Our truck is a baby semi, International 4700. They don't know how bad it is damaged yet. Smashed in the front, radiator gone, mashed in the back from our trl hitting it.

hookedoneventing
Jan. 5, 2006, 11:22 AM
So sorry to hear. Any update on the horses?

flutie1
Jan. 5, 2006, 11:22 AM
How are the horses?

bornfreenowexpensive
Jan. 5, 2006, 11:25 AM
What a nightmare. I hope everyone (horses and all) are ok. Trucks and trailers can be replaced. Jingles from PA!

Jeepgirl
Jan. 5, 2006, 11:26 AM
You can try Elizabeth Wood at Bits & Bytes Farm, she is just north of Atlanta and has a 5-horse trailer...she also has some empty stalls and a bunch of turnouts and pasture space.

http://www.bitsandbytesfarm.com

BBowen
Jan. 5, 2006, 11:36 AM
Tuppysmom:

OMG, sending prayers and jingles that everyone is okay. Keep us posted.

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Jan. 5, 2006, 11:40 AM
jingling for everyone.

q's mom
Jan. 5, 2006, 11:43 AM
I second calling Elizabeth Wood at Bits and Bytes Farm. She's great.

Cody
Jan. 5, 2006, 11:46 AM
Tuppysmom
Rob Bass is a good man, he's cool under pressure and will take care of your ponies. I just got in from lunch and read the first post and immediately thought of him. I hope your ALL your ponies are ok.

tuppysmom
Jan. 5, 2006, 11:50 AM
One horse is still on his side under the horse in the stall that used to be in front of him. He has some cuts on his face and who knows what else. He has not tried to get up, which is good, I think. Tony is still trapped in the back stall. He seems OK. He is a very self controlled kind of horse, so he is staying quiet while nearly doing a headstand in there. They will have to cut the rear door off to get him out. Everything is so jammed up that they may not be able to unload them out the front "emergency" door. The drop windows won't open to get a good look at the horses and they didn't want to upset them as long as they are lying quietly.

The people are all staying calm and working to get to a safer place. The vet will meet them where they get off the freeway. They should be moving by now, I hope.

Rob has offered to take the horses and all the stuff in the LQ on to FL. What a guy !!! I guess they'll be camping in the tack room at RHS until we see what happens next. The trk driver is insured by a Canadian Co. I hope that isn't as bad of news as I think it could be.

Thanks for the jingles.

Ishi
Jan. 5, 2006, 11:56 AM
OMG how scary! My trailer was rear ended while parked (at a horse trial and unhitched) and the damage was pretty good to the rear, I can't imagine an accident like that on the highway.

I am so sorry this happened, and hope everyone and all the horses are OK. Keep us updated, I'm jingling like mad for all involved.

monstrpony
Jan. 5, 2006, 12:03 PM
OMGiH, what a nightmare! Serious jingles that all the horses are okay. It sure sounds like they're being very well behaved about it. But what a mess!!

Roney
Jan. 5, 2006, 12:10 PM
Those kind of stories make my heart stop - I can't imagine the feeling of having to wait while your horses are inside a smashed-up trailer! Many many jingles heading your way; keep us updated!

olympicprincess
Jan. 5, 2006, 12:12 PM
*jingles* from Ohio!

deltawave
Jan. 5, 2006, 12:13 PM
I hope everything turns out all right. Praying and thinking about you all, tuppysmom!

CluesGirl
Jan. 5, 2006, 12:16 PM
Praying and jingling that all "the boys" will stay calm and collected. You know, it's because they are event horses that they haven't moved a muscle. They are so smart.

Will be thinking of you tuppysmom, and will be rushing to the computer when I get home later for an update.

gillenwaterfarm
Jan. 5, 2006, 12:26 PM
Prayers for a safe recovery for all involved.

BarbB
Jan. 5, 2006, 12:32 PM
Good luck to everybody.
My horse fell in a trailer last year and was stuck under the divider. Unbelievably he just layed there until I got the divider off of him and made room for him to scramble up. Sometimes they just seem to know what to do.
I hope this turns out as well.

ZEBE
Jan. 5, 2006, 12:35 PM
more jingles from Maryland.

Robby Johnson
Jan. 5, 2006, 12:43 PM
Brenda, this makes me want to hurl. Any updates on the horses? I am so sorry this has happened. Scares me to death.

Robby

NeverTime
Jan. 5, 2006, 12:45 PM
Oh, tuppysmom, Keeping my fingers crossed for a safe outcome for everybody. I had a trailering accident not too long ago that involved a horse getting hurt, then getting loose on the highway. No one (including him) got hurt, but it was terrifying. Good that they are getting them to a safe spot before looking, and good that the horses sound like they are being good boys. Fingers crossed.

BasqueMom
Jan. 5, 2006, 12:57 PM
More jingles for everyone! What a worst nightmare--Dallas has I-35 (one of the worse
stretches of interstate I've ever seen) and
refuse to trailer my horses on it.

Julie

tuppysmom
Jan. 5, 2006, 01:00 PM
The horses are all off the trl and other than Owl needing a few stitches, they all seem to be fine. Whew. They will be going to Rob and Robin's for now.

I guess the ball is now in the court of the trk driver's ins. co. I guess I will go internet shopping for a trl. I looked for nearly a yr for the truck. I hope it has damage that can be repaired !

Thanks all.

kmw2707
Jan. 5, 2006, 01:11 PM
Wow, I am so glad to hear that the horses all seem to be fine. Good luck with the truck and trailer search!

Bensmom
Jan. 5, 2006, 01:12 PM
Whew, indeed!!

Thanks for letting us know that they are off the trailer -- I had chills thinking about them being trapped.

Fingers crossed that the rest of the adventure turns out to be much better!

So glad that your humans and horsies are ok!

Libby

monstrpony
Jan. 5, 2006, 01:13 PM
What a relief!!

Good luck trailer shopping. Hope whatever you find serves you as well as this one did. You ought to let the mfg know about your experience, and that everyone walked away. Sounds pretty impressive to me.

asterix
Jan. 5, 2006, 01:16 PM
Oh my god!!! I just read this (horrible, sinking heart, then hope, then tremendous relief). What a roller coaster even for a faraway fan -- tuppysmom, you sound so NONhysterical, I am amazed!
What a wonderful thing to hear that they are all basically ok. Zowie!!!
Yet another example of this board being a great support, even in a crisis...

Gnep
Jan. 5, 2006, 01:19 PM
Uff Tuppysmom

Glad to hear that everybody is ok

BarbB
Jan. 5, 2006, 01:22 PM
oh, that is GREAT news!
the horses, not the truck, trucks can be fixed (hopefully) or replaced.

So glad to hear this.

NeverTime
Jan. 5, 2006, 01:23 PM
Thank goodness!

BBowen
Jan. 5, 2006, 01:27 PM
Tuppysmom:

Thank you for the update and so thankful the horses are okay. It could have been such a tragedy for everyone. Hugs to you. It had to be so hard waiting for word at each step. Like someone else said, the truck and trailer can be replaced; lives can't. Glad the injuries were minor.

circusponydreams
Jan. 5, 2006, 01:39 PM
Thank god everyone is OK! I let out a huge sigh of relief. Now you get to go trailer shopping.

slp2
Jan. 5, 2006, 01:43 PM
SOOOO glad to hear everyone is okay. I was speed reading through these posts with my stomach getting completely tied up in knots! How terrifying for you to be so far away and not be able to really help! Hope everything works out with the insurance and other related logistics. Undoubtedly, this will be a hassle all the way around for your family--but at least the people and horses are OK!

deltawave
Jan. 5, 2006, 01:47 PM
If a 2H trailer in Michigan is of ANY use to you, I am not planning on using mine for a good while.

Glad to hear all seems to be well with the critters. Trucks and trailers can be replaced--with new and BETTER ones, thanks to Mr. Truck Driver's insurance company! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Jan. 5, 2006, 01:52 PM
whew! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

eventable
Jan. 5, 2006, 02:07 PM
OMG I'm so relieved the horses are OK. You must have been having kittens.

moonriverfarm
Jan. 5, 2006, 02:15 PM
Hope somebody knows a good equine massage person...those horses deserve a day at the spa!! Jingles to them and to you tuppysmom!

FlightCheck
Jan. 5, 2006, 02:22 PM
I board at Rocking Horse - if anyone needs a place to stay, I live about 30 minutes away.

The spare bedroom is at least live-able after moving!

ZEBE
Jan. 5, 2006, 02:30 PM
WHEW...... Thanks for the update and GOOD NEWS.

mademoiselle
Jan. 5, 2006, 02:53 PM
What a scary story, I'm glad to hear that the horses are safe.

I hope the insurance of the truck driver will work.

Good luck with everything

Fred
Jan. 5, 2006, 03:00 PM
like everyone else reading this, my heart was in my throat - I am so relieved that everyone is ok. Trucks and trailers can be replaced. Thank God.

tuppysmom
Jan. 5, 2006, 03:01 PM
Thanks everyone, They are still at the vet's with the injured horse. I'll update as I get news. They might be looking to room somewhere near RHS until we can get things organized. For now they will be in GA until they hear from the trkr's ins co. It is hard to be so far away !

Lori T
Jan. 5, 2006, 03:11 PM
Glad to hear all is well. I am sending you a PT with my phone #. I have sent the word out through the pony club community to get Gary and Sara a place to stay. Our JT-DC (who is from Hell's Canyon)is not to far from RH and may have her guest house available. She is in Colorado but is to call me tonight. I wish I was closer to put them up, but am an hour away.
Lori

McVillesMom
Jan. 5, 2006, 05:45 PM
I'm so glad everyone seems to be OK!

flypony74
Jan. 5, 2006, 05:48 PM
Gosh, that is my worst nightmare....to have a trailer rear-ended. I am relieved that the horses are relatively unscathed, considering what they have been through. Shows how tough a good event horse really is!

eks
Jan. 5, 2006, 05:58 PM
Tuppysmom,

How terrible...I am so thankful your family and the horses are okay. What a nightmare this is. Thanks for your constant updates. Take care

RunForIt
Jan. 5, 2006, 06:31 PM
I am SOOO happy that all is (relatively) well for your family (2-legged and 4-legged)! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Emailed Robin heralding Rob as a hero, and both of them being so helpful and caring...turns out Robin herself is in DALLAS for work; she said Rob just dropped everything when he got the call...also said that people and horses were doing fine. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

tuppysmom
Jan. 5, 2006, 07:25 PM
Yes Rob is the hero of the day!! He will move them down to FL on Sat when he takes Robin's horse.

The bruises on the people are showing up tonight, I hear ! Good thing the horses are covered with hair so we can't see theirs.

I am very glad that they had their seat belts on and that they were also in a medium sized semi truck, otherwise I think it would have been a very different outcome. Sara is sure that they would have been under the truck in front of them instead of just plastered on the back of it. I'm gonna miss that truck !!!

Tomorrow they have a big day of cleaning all their worldly goods from truck and trailer. It took me several days to put all that stuff in there !!!

if they get me some pics, I will post them in a few days.

Gnep
Jan. 5, 2006, 08:48 PM
tuppysmum
If you guys need a truck, I still have that 1 ton with the dual axels in the rear. I would borrow it to you as long as they need it.

DunBar
Jan. 5, 2006, 09:17 PM
Glad to hear everyone is okay...whew!

Candle
Jan. 5, 2006, 09:28 PM
Oh my gosh, that's just amazing that they're all okay. I read the first line and saw "Gary and Sara" and I immediately wondered if it was the Gary and Sara that had been written up in PH. Then you said something about Tony and I was like http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif! I just wanted to say that I think it's the coolest thing that they go from ID to events everywhere, and that Sara gets to go with her father. I also thought Tony was pretty cool. Okay, I thought the whole article was just awesome and kind of inspired me to work harder during some tough times with my riding. Anyways, prayers for them and Tony tonight.

clivers
Jan. 5, 2006, 09:44 PM
Tuppysmom,
Holy $hit, what a day!!! Terrifying!!! Thank God everyone's "OK"!!! Sounds like your horses (and people) are pretty cool under pressure http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Please post if there's anything you need - even if it's only virtual company while you sit down and have a glass of wine http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Hang in there and keep us posted!

Mariequi
Jan. 5, 2006, 10:19 PM
Geez! Just got home from work and read what this day (now yesterday) was like. I don't think I breathed until your good report. Thanks so much for keeping us informed and I'm off another part of I-75 (4 miles) farther north. Think I'll move to be closer to Rob. Whatta guy!

Ishi
Jan. 5, 2006, 10:22 PM
I am so happy to hear they are all OK, that is so amazing and so wonderful!

tuppysmom
Jan. 6, 2006, 04:04 AM
Gnep,
Thank you for the offer of the truck. The trailer shouldn't be hard to replace, but the truck will be another matter. I am still in hopes that it can be repaired. I talked to the dealer today and he said that the cabs for those can be puchased new and all the seats, wood trim, and such moved from the wrecked one to the new cab. Just depends on the condition of the frame. I will keep you posted.

Eventer55
Jan. 6, 2006, 04:14 AM
What a horrific thing to happen! When everyone is home and calm, it would be interesting to know why things turned out as well as they did. We can all be safer if we have the knowlege. Truck type, trailer configuration, etc.

Kudos to all that helped.

Sannois
Jan. 6, 2006, 04:39 AM
OMG I just saw this! Terrifying!!! Thank god your ponys are ok and you guys as well, What a wonderful bunch a horse folk to help one another in crisis! You know I cant help thinking that because of the size of your rig, it saved your ponys and you probably as well! A semi plowing into the back of my 2 horse sundowner pulled by my Dodge Ram 1500 would have been a death sentence for my poor guy! WOW!!! (((((Hugs)))))

Ruth0552
Jan. 6, 2006, 06:22 AM
Just an encouraging thought for your ponies...

I knew a horse that once had an accident on an interstate that ended up with him standing right side up and the trailer was upside down.
He recovered great and still got on a trailer like a million bucks. If I were him I wouldn't even go near one to save my life!!

Gnep
Jan. 6, 2006, 06:39 AM
Any time tuppysmom, if they need it, its availabel.

Schrat
Jan. 6, 2006, 06:45 AM
Just read the story ... what a story ...

I'm so glad that gary, sara and the horses came out of it more or less safe and sound. That's the most important part.

And I am very impressed about that network of friends in this board, that worked so smoothely and provided help and comfort. My respect to all of You. Eventers are greats sports!

Best wishes and a big hug from Belgium, last but not least for that tough woman Tuppysmom. Even joking in all that frightful mess, you're great!

JSwan
Jan. 6, 2006, 06:56 AM
Glad everyone, including the horses - are ok. There is something to be said for driving a big truck and hauling a big trailer.....

annikak
Jan. 6, 2006, 09:20 AM
Uh...heart beating out of my chest- Oh My Goodness- We have stall in tryon- if that is any help, PLEASE use us.

Yea to Robin and Rob- and thank god the horses and people are okay.

Shivers here...I just drove up 75 from Tryon yesterday with the dodge dulley- and I tell ya, its scary! I am grateful to my hubby for his new gift to himself- a full size volvo Tractor. The 42' trailer is gonna look small behind it! I was worried about driving it, but after your story- well, thanks! I will learn to drive that thing!!!!

Hope things are continuing to be okay-

tuppysmom
Jan. 6, 2006, 01:47 PM
annikak, learn to drive it! It is easier than you think. We got ours a year ago and it was just the day before Sara and I had to leave for CA. I kept calling hme to tell everyone how great the truck was, especially going downhill ! I love that truck and we are all so bummed that it may be a total. It is a rare beast and I have looked all day today and cannot fine one anywhere. I am fairly certain that big truck made the difference yesterday.

RunForIt
Jan. 6, 2006, 02:10 PM
http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Its amazing how the network of people involved with this BB helped/are helping with this crisis. Someone on here obviously had the good sense to make the call to Rob Bass, who true to his nature, went out and "helped" (very poor description) - kudos again to everyone involved! Good luck with the truck, tuppysmom - any more news on your horses and family? Sorry Georgia had to pick this weekend to be frigid for a couple of days - but then, it'll make getting to Florida even nicer for your folks. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

oskaar
Jan. 6, 2006, 04:27 PM
TM--

Just home to read your email--thank god I'd read the end result before coming here to read about it! How scary! I've been in two smallish fender benders (well, smushed sports cars involved), both because I was cut off by someone lost/slamming on their brakes/me not being able to stop in time, and it is so so scary.

The guy I bought Fatty from just started doing big trucks too. Do you want me to ask him to do a search? He's a horse guy too, and gave me a seriously good deal. WIll you insurance buy you a new truck? He's got a really sweet one on his lot right now.

Anyway, so glad everyone is safe and okay. Let us know when they get to FL!

Safe travels!

tuppysmom
Jan. 6, 2006, 07:54 PM
oskaar,

Yes, yes, I would like the name of the dealer with the truck.

They are heading out tomorrow am with a loaner truck and trailer from -- drum roll--- Rob and Robin !!!!! Can you believe it !!

oskaar
Jan. 7, 2006, 06:53 AM
Wow! I love all the eventing generosity here!

I'll send you an email with all the info http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

kookicat
Jan. 7, 2006, 07:06 AM
Thank god everyone is okay!

I really love the people on this board. Everyone is so kind and helpful!

colliemom
Jan. 7, 2006, 08:00 AM
Wow, tuppysmom, I just read this! So glad it all turned out okay. Major kudos to the fine folks down there who dropped everything to help out!

Greetings and Best Wishes from your friends in Bucks County!

RunForIt
Jan. 7, 2006, 09:13 AM
http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif This is a source for an interesting story for COTH that could be looked at from several points of view - resourceful, gracious eventers helping eventers, dangers on major expressways, setting up a network of possible "help" options for these lengthy trips that so many folks have to make during the winter months, as well as during the competition seasons. Hope the editors/writers at COTH are on this one. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

catjumpexpress
Jan. 7, 2006, 10:47 AM
Thank goodness all are ok. What a scary day! Please do keep us informed, especially the type of damage your truck sustained. My daughter has the same truck and we love it...now I REALLY love it after hearing all this. Good luck on your search for a new one. We happened upon ours at an RV dealer. Good idea...a "Helping Hands for Traveling Eventers" handbook.

Lori T
Jan. 7, 2006, 11:30 AM
Tuppysmom,
How are they doing? Where is Gary and Sara? Are you still looking for a place for them to stay in Florida? Let me know, I may have something. I sent you my phone # in a pm. Please keep us posted.
Lori

tuppysmom
Jan. 7, 2006, 12:36 PM
Lori T. By the time I got into the house it was too late to call you last night. They should be arriving at RHS soon. They have your # and Flight Check's #. They will be in barn A stalls 1 thru 4.

Thanks everyone for your concern and help !!!

mbj
Jan. 7, 2006, 01:06 PM
Just read about you all. What class, smarts and courage displayed by all 2-ffoted and 4. Wow! Hope your dear truck is salvagable.

Lori T
Jan. 7, 2006, 04:35 PM
Tuppysmom,
I have a place for Gary and Sara to stay! It is 15 minutes away from RH. Call me tomorrow or send me their phone #. My email is
equine-nurse@earthlink.net

Lori

Mudroom2
Jan. 7, 2006, 06:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tuppysmom:
The gooseneck hitch broke right off and the trl tried to climb onto the back of the trk. Good thing the safety chains held. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its amazing how many goosenecks you see without the safety chains hooked up, even though it is required in many states.

added note: A handy trick I learned from the truck next to me at a HT last year:

If your hitch has the spring loaded "U-bolt" type attachments for the safety chains they can be hard to grab and lift up to hook on the chain. You can take a plastic wire-tie and wrap it around the u-bolt. The "tail" of the wire-tie then becomes an easy to grab handle for pulling the bolt up!

tuppysmom
Jan. 7, 2006, 06:19 PM
Lori T

I emailed the #'s to you. They are settled in for tonight at RHS.

FlightCheck
Jan. 8, 2006, 12:44 PM
I introduced myself to Gary and Sara this morning at Rocking Horse.

We moved my trailer down by Sara's horses and the bathrooms. It's not perfect, but she'll have heat, a microwave, and a refrigerator, and the air mattress.

monstrpony
Jan. 8, 2006, 02:17 PM
How are the horses doing? How is the one who needed some stitches? Are Gary and Sara stabilizing? That experience must have been SO discombobulating!

I think it's a real credit to your rig that everyone walked away from this one. And the help you've been provided has been a joy to read about, restores one's faith in people! (I was going to say it restores one's faith in eventers, but I've never lost faith with that crowd--good people!) Everyone gets a cyper-pat-on-the-back!

tuppysmom
Jan. 8, 2006, 05:34 PM
They are working hard to set up a place to live. Thanks Flight Check! There was so much stuff in the LQ and in the truck tool boxes that they will have to find a storage place to put it all. The tack room is already full of horsey stuff. Funny thing, Gary is concerned about not being able to find the tire chains. I really don't think he's going to need them anytime soon. I think he may have bumped his head !!!!

The horses are getting some turn out time and self excercise. I guess we will know more when they get ridden. One of them doesn't really want to get on the trailer now, imagine that. I think the people have a little freeway fright to work on too.

I am not quite sure what to do next. We'll start working on "the plan" tomorrow! I spent yesterday internet shopping for trucks and trls. There are some out there.

I hear that there are bugs in FL !!! Big ones !!!!! We don't have many bugs here in Idaho, I used to think we did, but I have been told that that is not the case.

FlightCheck
Jan. 9, 2006, 05:59 AM
Florida bugs are unlike anywhere else!

I saw the horses bouncing around in the paddocks yesterday - quite the pretty sight!

Lori T
Jan. 9, 2006, 05:50 PM
They are more than welcome to store stuff at my barn. Let me know, and remind them that all offers are still open!
Lori

tuppysmom
Jan. 9, 2006, 06:46 PM
Lori T thank you for the option of storing at your place.

Tel. calls from horse ins co to see if everything is OK = 3

Tel. calls from vehicle ins co's = 0

Hum........

Robby Johnson
Jan. 10, 2006, 04:09 AM
Brenda, I am so glad that all's well that ends well. Your story is a wake-up call to everyone. I always use my safety chains, and actually had to have the big d-rings welded into my truck bed when I bought it, as my friend who owned the truck prior didn't use the chains.

Robby

Lily5453
Jan. 10, 2006, 05:52 AM
who in gods name would trailer without the safety chains??? especially since they are called

SAFETY CHAINS and take about three seconds to put on!!! Good lord!

Badger
Jan. 10, 2006, 06:01 AM
A TON of people trailer without using them. Walk around at a show or event sometime and really look to see if they are secured to the truck bed or not. You'll be surprised.

This thread is an excellent warning for anyone who hasn't been convinced previously of the importance of using them, and a reminder for those of us who use them religiously. So glad the people and horses involved are okay.

mjedge808
Jan. 10, 2006, 10:15 AM
Even if you don't run a gooseneck trl, please please please use the safety chains! Also, just walk around your trailer, make sure everything works the way it should...i had a friend once who had a trl that had only one working brake....not one side, only one wheel! scary. we all love our ponies, so I agree with Robby, this is a wake up!

next time we all head out, we should just do a rundown of our trailers.

Brenda,
Thank God everyone is okay. Bummer about the truck, but nothing can replace family.

Ishi
Jan. 10, 2006, 10:31 AM
I was told (By the trailer place who installed my hitch and sold me my trailer) the chains are only there to prevent the trailer from detaching and causing more damage to other people, in an accident, and can do more damage to the truck and trailer. The one guy actually told me not to use them. I'm so glad I never listened to that trailer guy!!! I have a big gooseneck and ALWAYS use my chains, I figure they are there for a reason. Clearly, they did more in this case, and stopped the trailer from going through the back of the truck, if I read that right.

Maybe people don't use them because they were told misinformation, or something equally as dumb. I also thought it was against the law not to use them. I wish this never happened to them (or you!) Tuppysmom, but thank you so much for posting all the details, it is a good wake up call.

Thanks for the tip Mudroom, I always grab a hammer and pull the D rings up with the other end when they get stuck (or frozen) down. I think your way may be easier!

I am so happy the horses and people are OK, I can't imagine being in a wreck like that!

RAyers
Jan. 10, 2006, 11:07 AM
I am glad to hear that everything is working out. What a horrendous experience that must have been!

As for chains etc. about 10 years ago I was hauling horses across Nebraska in January. The road looked fine - sneaky thing about black ice. When my partner, who was driving, tried to brake due to slowing traffic the trailer went straight and the truck went every other direction. The road managed to turn but we didn't. When all of the snow was settled we found we had gone off an embankment and ended up in a frozen swamp. The semi behind us missed us by about 100ft and was totalled right behind us. My truck (crew cab dually) was smashed up to the front door by the trailer jack-knifing. The trailer was torqued but the stalls stayed intact. All I had to do was to reach up out of what was left of my side of the truck and open the hay door to look in on the horses. I barely had to get out of my front seat.

I am happy I try to always be sure all of the safety stuff is hooked up (including the chains which were not required back then) and I think that saved us. Obviously that is the same in this case. Safety chains are required by law so don't let anybody tell you otherwise.

I'll say a small "thank you" prayer today.

Reed

Cody
Jan. 10, 2006, 12:50 PM
I pull a bumper pull now and not a gooseneck. However my safety chains are always done up on the bumper pull, plus they are crossed. I used to have a Goldwing motorcycle and pulled a small trailer behind it. I attended a safety seminar about pulling trailers with the Goldwing and the gentleman that gave it said that he deliberately detached his trailer from the bike and let it rest on the crossed chains and rode with it that way to see if it would work. It did and he said that proved a point to cross the chains.

bweventer
Jan. 10, 2006, 01:12 PM
Yes always use the safety chains. I also assume that all the horses were wearing shipping boots? I know one time my horse fell in the trailer, if he had not had on boots who knows how many cuts he would have had on his legs. Those are another thing that take 3 min to put on, but so many people don't even bother. So glad that everyone was ok! How scary it must have been!

RAyers
Jan. 10, 2006, 01:35 PM
Cody,

That is too funny. I have always crossed the chains but that is because I am an engineer and figured that any tension on the chains would automatically center the trailer.

I also want to mention that having worked at a vet clinic for a couple of years I saw a few trailer accidents. They are always scary and I am always thankful when the horses and people walk away. It is good to know that 3 horses and 2 horsepeople are still here for whatever reason. tuppysmom, thank you.

Reed

monstrpony
Jan. 10, 2006, 02:06 PM
I've always crossed chains, and actually did have my BP trailer hop off of the hitch ball (fortunately, it was just going over a speed bump in a parking lot). The trailer tongue landed on the crossed chains, and the whole thing worked as planned--was able to stop the rig without wrecking truck or trailer, hitch it back up and go on my way. My fault for not having a pin to lock the hitch on the ball, but I learned that lesson at a relatively low cost that day.

Ishi
Jan. 10, 2006, 02:25 PM
Reed do you cross the chains on the gooseneck too? It was the BIG trailer dealer in Parker (LOL not naming names, but not hard to figure out which place) who installed my hitch in this truck and who told me that. Nice huh? Wow, that must have been really scary in Nebraska! Glad you all were OK too!

bornfreenowexpensive
Jan. 10, 2006, 02:59 PM
I was pulling a bumper pull trailer in VA coming back from a lesson one day. The weather had turned bad during the lesson and was raining with freezing rain. We were on a road with traffic going 50 mph + and hit black ice. My truck righted but not my trailer and I felt the hitch fail--turns out there flaw with the hitch. It broke and the trailer came loose. Don't know how I managed it b/c I'm NOT a good driver but I didn't panic and was able to keep the truck in front of the trailer AND the safety chains held (they were crossed too). I used the truck to slowly stop the trailer (lucky I was pulling with a big truck) and with the bend in the road we ended up on the shoulder. Horse was fine, although I think I shaved a few years off my life. An extremely nice person saw us on the side of the road, got a trailer and took my horse home while I waited for the tow truck.

To this day--I'm still not happy towing but ALWAYs use saftey chains. Glad all your ponies and people are ok.

Gnep
Jan. 10, 2006, 04:52 PM
I had my righteway taken. Had 3 horses on a bumpertrailer. Hit the other vehicle straight in the side with 50 miles. The driver had, when she saw me coming paniced and stoped in the middle of the road.
The impact was quiet amazing. The car I hit was an SVU, one of the big ones, it was flung across the road like a toy. I had a Suburban, it kinde reared up, there were tire marks on the SVUs hood. The trailer parked in the middle of my Sub, the rearaxle stoped. Luckily my dogs rode up front. I had to climb out of the sidewindow, the doors would not open. My horses were neatly stacked on each other, the dividers were torn out and now between them like the paper between sliced chees.
Amazingly, neither the horses, my dogs, myself nor the driver of the other vehicle got seriously hurt, bruised and with a few minor cuts.
I was glad for 2 things I always and still believe in, Steeltrailers and Big Towing Vehicles.
I have never seen 3/4 inch steel brake, except for this exident, the trailer tongue still had the ball on, the steel of the hitch had broken of and the chains to.
Hihihi I had a seatbelt tatoo for 3 weeks.

I learned one thing from that exidant. I don't want again a trailer in my cab. Thats why I built for my Pick Ups beds that are so solid that they will not crumbel and they are long enough that they will not alow the gooseneck to get into the cab.

tuppysmom
Jan. 11, 2006, 08:25 AM
Well, It sounds like the Canadian ins co doesn't do any claims handling in the US. We will have to have our ins co handle the claim which I guess means deductibles will be taken out and it will count on our renewal as a claim by us. That is just wrong.

persefne
Jan. 11, 2006, 08:47 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tuppysmom:
Well, It sounds like the Canadian ins co doesn't do any claims handling in the US. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ARRRGGGHHH! Well, then they shouldn't be allowed to insure vehicles that are traveling the roadways in the US, now should they? That does not seem right...you being "punished" (deductables, claims, etc,) for something that was not your fault. Take deep breaths and just keep your head up through all this mess. And, continue to just stop (when things get overwhelming) and remember that you've still got your daughter, your husband, and 3 healthy horses. http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/yes.gif

oskaar
Jan. 11, 2006, 08:49 AM
Hmm. Are you sure about it counting as a claim by you? I am in the same boat, on a much smaller scale. State Farm gave me the option of letting them handle the claim, which means I have to pay my deductible to get my car back after it's fixed. They will send me a check when the other guy's insurance pays up.

But, I made them swear up and down that it wouldn't effect my rates or count on my insurance. After all, it's not my fault that some 15 yr old with his learner's permit broadsided me in my brand new truck.

You need to raise some hell about that.

RAyers
Jan. 11, 2006, 09:01 AM
It depends on if the system is a tort or no fault system. In no fault each insurance company pays and then they deal with each other like oskaar's situation. In a tort system it depends upon who is at fault as to who pays. Keep fighting it tuppysmom!

Reed

tractor queen
Jan. 11, 2006, 09:44 AM
And you can also sue the owner of the truck for (at least) any non - reimbursed out of pocket. Have you already called the company that owns the truck? Seems (to me) like they would be anxious to keep you happy.

tuppysmom
Jan. 11, 2006, 11:32 AM
Well, here is what I have learned from our ins co so far. They will pay actual cash value on trk and trl minus the deductibles for each of them. I may hear from the adjuster on that next Mon or Tues. It will count as a claim on us when our policy renews if they have not been reimbursed by the Canadians. Our co will not pay for a rental car because our "car" was a small semi and the ins co said it is too expensive to rent us a semi. They also do not rent trls at all, period. We may a problem getting to the competitions and training camp, but I'll work on that later. They also don't pay for any food, because they figure that you would eat anyway. We did have our own cooking facilities in our LQ which is a lot less $$s that eating in a restaurant. Although I was told that dinner was Triskits, so I guess there won't be too many reataurant bills. Any and all out of pocket expenses like the above we will have to try to recover from the Canadians. Of course will will have to pay for it all up front and take our chances with them. Silly me, I seem to have overlooked these items when we did the budget for this trip.

BarbB
Jan. 11, 2006, 11:51 AM
If you have the truck and/or the trailer financed the amount that your insurance company will pay for "value" will probably not cover the payoff on the loan. That is the norm. If this is the case check and see if you bought GAP insurance on either vehicle.
Don't let the trucking company off the hook until you make sure the total cost is really covered.
OTOH if you paid cash....it's all good.

Gnep
Jan. 11, 2006, 01:18 PM
Tuppysmom,

I had a similar situation, when that Suburban got totaled. The other insurance wanted to rebuilt the vehicle, which would have taken about 5 month.
Since I needed that vehicle as a people hauler in my outfiting busines, I had my laywer wright a letter which explained to them how much money I would loose in my busines and that I would drag them to court over it. 2 weeks later I had a brand new vehicle and my trailer fixed like new.
There are legal agreements between US and Canada concerning traffic and insurance. They can not hide behind the fact, that they are from Canada and your insurance can't hide behind that either.
You have to go to an attorney and get your self some leagel advice and than hammer your insurance, with loss of income etc. etc. it realy gets them going.

One more thing, what does the police report state, who was at fault, was the Trucker at fault and did he get a ticket. If yes go to a small claims court and try to get a lien on one or any of their trucks or property.

You have to put the heat on the insurance companies and the trucking company. They are used to people to be nice and pushable and not to people that push and get unfriendly.

FlightCheck
Jan. 11, 2006, 02:09 PM
When I see Sara tomorrow I'll see which shows she's going to and help round up some trailer space(s) for her......and if push comes to shove, she can take my truck/trailer to the training sessions.

Lori T
Jan. 11, 2006, 04:14 PM
Brenda...
Oh what a mess! How frustrating.
Let me know what Sara has plans on attending..if I can't help, Dave and Lisa Sumner have offered to help. They have a bigger trailer than I do. They are doing Poplar this weekend and Ocala the following. If you want, email me directly.
Lori

tuppysmom
Jan. 11, 2006, 06:24 PM
wow, thanks everyone.

I wish thst we had paid cash. If that were the case, I would just get out my wallet and buy another rig, but alas that is not the case. We don't have GAP ins.

Gnep. We do have an attorney who will take care of the details with the Canadian co. I hear they are a good firm with a lot of experience in this sort of thing. I am going to call the truck drivers employer tomorrow and have a little chat with a man named Greg. I will explain that this is not a vacationing family.

I am mostly disappointed in our ins co in that they are located in our small town, that our agent has known us both in and outside of business for 30 yrs and I don't feel that he, I understand that he is not the adjuster, who we have paid mucho $$$s to over the years hasn't really stepped up to the plate for us. Oh well...

Flight Check, they will be competing at RHS until Red Hills. The training camp will be the only thing that she will need to travel to for a while. It starts on the 23rd, I think.

Lori T. Thanks. You guys are great !!!

tuppysmom
Jan. 11, 2006, 06:28 PM
Gnep. the truckers both got tickets. One for reckless driving and the other for inattentive driving.

Gnep
Jan. 12, 2006, 07:04 AM
That is very good with the tickets, it gives you nice leverage.
I would get a copy of the police report take that one to a court and file for damages the whole nine yards against everybody involved, truckers, trucking company, insurance companies etc.
Even if it is just for show that you are serious.

It is sad but most of the time this is the only way you get what they owe you.
If the trucking company is not cooperating with you, than you need to get a lien against them.

flypony74
Jan. 12, 2006, 08:17 AM
Nothing is ever easy, is it? Even when it is no fault of our own!

I strongly suggest working closely with your attorney that you mentioned, as he should be able to help you get a fair shake out of this. I was in an accident several years ago (no horse trailer, thank goodness, but the guy ran a redlight and t-boned me), and the other driver's insurance company tried to give me a ridiculously low amount for my car, and were balking at my medical bills. It was a mess (hint, Allstate is HORRIBLE to work with!). Out of desperation, I contacted my attorney, who helped resolve the situation FAIRLY. Granted, it was not a quick process, but I got a fair amount for my car, and had all of my medical bills covered to the last penny. That never would have happened if my attorney hadn't gotten involved.

Good luck to you, and best of luck to Sara while she is in Florida!