PDA

View Full Version : What do you use for foot packing?

FrittSkritt
Jun. 14, 2011, 01:02 PM
As many other fellow Area IIers will attest to, the ground here is HARD. Like play-basketball-in-my-backyard hard.

Just out of curiosity, what do you guys use to pack feet? Regular ol' Forshners? Magic Cushion? Epsom salts and betadine?

After Waredaca last week, I felt guilty enough that I packed my Novice-level horse's feet with Sore-No-More poultice... maybe overkill, but considering how he hauled my butt around like a superstar(thanks to my useless legs (http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=307705)), I felt I owed it to him. :)

ExcelEventing
Jun. 14, 2011, 01:16 PM
I Love Hawthorne's Sole Pak.

AppJumpr08
Jun. 14, 2011, 01:40 PM
I like the old fashioned route... equal parts bran and epsom salts, dampened with DMSO just enough that it clumps when you squeeze it. Diaper, vetwrap, and duct tape.

LSM1212
Jun. 14, 2011, 01:49 PM
Magic Cushion is *da bomb*. JMO

KMErickson
Jun. 14, 2011, 02:04 PM
love forshner's, but am thinking of giving magic cushion a try this summer as I've heard nothing but good things and one of my horses is definitely sensitive to the hard ground.

Is Magic Cushion legal for shows? I had heard a rumor that it wasn't any more...

CookiePony
Jun. 14, 2011, 02:35 PM
Is there any science behind any hoof packing? I use it (Hawthorne, Magic Cushion, or good old Uptite), because I think it works, but I wish I knew how the various kinds work.

Bogie
Jun. 14, 2011, 02:38 PM
Magic Cushion or Hawthorne's sole pack

mcw
Jun. 14, 2011, 02:43 PM
I always use Forschner's. Small piece of brown paper bag over it, then wrapped with vetrap.

Samantha37
Jun. 14, 2011, 02:47 PM
Magic Cushion!!!!!!!!!!

wishnwell
Jun. 14, 2011, 02:50 PM
I was going to order Magic cushion for my foot sore TB... how long does one application last?

riderboy
Jun. 14, 2011, 06:42 PM
Is there any science behind any hoof packing? I use it (Hawthorne, Magic Cushion, or good old Uptite), because I think it works, but I wish I knew how the various kinds work.
Excellent question, I was wondering the same thing. We packed both our boys after Spring Run, all the time I'm thinking "what does this stuff do?" But everyone said to do it. Lots of horse care things seem rather inexplicable to me.

KBG Eventer
Jun. 14, 2011, 07:08 PM
Magic Cushion!

yellowbritches
Jun. 14, 2011, 08:06 PM
We bought a tub of that "Rebound" stuff some rider is marketing/developed at Rubicon the other day when we had a bit of a disaster with one of our novice horses (lost two shoes on xc and the closer he got to the trailer, the lamer he got). It is mildly obnoxious to work with, but the guy seems better (could also be the fact that he's had a few days to recover and more of a thing about time than anything).

I've heard lots of great things about Magic Cushion. I've used Forshner's (sp??) a lot. Old school and stinky, but Neumotizine (again, sp?). Animal Lintex. I think pretty much anything you do, if it has a drawing agent, should be good. :yes:

deltawave
Jun. 14, 2011, 08:29 PM
Hawthorne's Sole Pak, the little pre-wrapped patties. Best invention ever! :lol:

Certainly add moisture to the surface of the sole above what standing in sawdust all night could do, and that's probably all they offer, but I figure there's virtually no harm and possibly a small amount of benefit and they're cheap, so that's how my risk/benefit assessment goes. :)

Emmas Hot Brass
Jun. 14, 2011, 11:06 PM
That deliciously smelling green gooey Epsom salt poultice on top of betadine, under a diaper, under vetrap, under duct tape.

Whitfield Farm Hanoverians
Jun. 14, 2011, 11:39 PM
Where's the Aera-Vator when you need it? Anyone using them over this hard ground this year to loosen it up?

lstevenson
Jun. 14, 2011, 11:46 PM
Magic Cushion works great!

http://www.MyVirtualEventingCoach.com
Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/pages/My-Virtual-Eventing-Coach/121366797928434)

lcw579
Jun. 15, 2011, 12:14 AM
We bought a tub of that "Rebound" stuff some rider is marketing/developed at Rubicon the other day when we had a bit of a disaster with one of our novice horses (lost two shoes on xc and the closer he got to the trailer, the lamer he got). It is mildly obnoxious to work with, but the guy seems better (could also be the fact that he's had a few days to recover and more of a thing about time than anything).

:yes:

That was developed by one of our Pony Club graduates. :)

How well does it stay in without any wrapping? And the follow up - how hard is it to get out? Haven't used it and there were a few of us who were curious.

yellowbritches
Jun. 15, 2011, 06:44 AM
That was developed by one of our Pony Club graduates. :)

How well does it stay in without any wrapping? And the follow up - how hard is it to get out? Haven't used it and there were a few of us who were curious.
I did go ahead a wrap, but more because our poor horse was SO sore that I wanted to give him some more cushion (we really thought he had done something seriously wrong...he got to grams of bute IV at the show so we could get him home comfortably).

At the show, it was a MAJOR PITA to deal with...it was really gooey and would not stay in place and was sticking to everything (even when I did what Kris from Somerset suggested and wet my gloves). HOWEVER, when I repacked his feet a day or two later, it was much cooler, and was more the consistency of gum and I was able to mold it to the bottom of his feet and even up around his heels with less sticking. A little bit tough at that stage to pull out, but doable. :yes: I like it much better cooler than warmer.

Where's the Aera-Vator when you need it? Anyone using them over this hard ground this year to loosen it up?
There is a fine line as to when you can use them and when you can't (we have one for our large jumping field). In the case of Rubicon, what I understand was a couple of weeks ago it was far too wet (you just tear the turf up then). I'm assuming the next issue was (if it was like at our farm), the footing went hard so fast, they couldn't do it, because then the teeth don't dig in.

asterix
Jun. 15, 2011, 08:54 AM
Yes, that's what Sheryl at Rubicon told me on Friday night -- the ground was really wet, and then all of a sudden it was super hard.

Eventcrazy
Jun. 15, 2011, 08:59 AM
Magic Cushion it rocks!!!!

LisaB
Jun. 15, 2011, 09:15 AM
I'm really digging Rebound and it's legal for shows. I showed it to my farrier and he loves that it has the ingredients of magic cushion - minus the leather bits - and it's got arnica. He loves that it has arnica.
Now, I haven't been riding but I've been using it on my horse as I've chucked his shoes off and it does really work for his ouchie bare feet.
You can get it at Saddlery Liq or BoB.

mugsgame
Jun. 15, 2011, 10:32 AM
I have been trying to get hold of Magic Cushion for the UK - they do not respond to emails and are not interested in distribution outside of America. Really frustrating as we could really do with it at the moment as the ground has been so hard.
Could you please post the website for rebound if its similar?

lcw579
Jun. 15, 2011, 12:37 PM
http://reboundhoofpack.com/default.aspx

Here you go!