PDA

View Full Version : Texas Rose?

luvmycabanaboy
Jun. 14, 2011, 01:52 PM
Anyone go? The XC moved, how did it ride?

ExcelEventing
Jun. 14, 2011, 02:19 PM
I only walked and rode the prelim course, and I thought it was great. I had one student ride it as well, and she liked it as well.

SweetieG
Jun. 14, 2011, 03:13 PM
Yes! More info please. Did they move all courses or just upper levels? Any info on Novice?

I have enjoyed their show and hope to make it in Nov.!

Thanks!

Kairoshorses
Jun. 14, 2011, 05:49 PM
They moved all the courses! There are lots of rolling hills, but none that are huge (well, at T and above there's a pretty big hill, but not for N/BN), and the entire course is VERY open. Good footing, and while it was hot, there was a great breeze that helped a lot

I rode the Novice course--it was Paddy's first post-surgery horse trial, and my first HT post heel fracture, and the XC rode GREAT. Very forward, very fair. The questions built on each other, and they often used the terrain.

I enjoyed myself thoroughly. I would encourage everyone to come, esp. when it's not quite as hot! :D

texaseventer
Jun. 14, 2011, 06:29 PM
Novice rode awesome. LOVE the new course! Started small and built up nicely. My horse and I had an absolute blast. We'll be back - hopefully moving up to Training this fall!!!

SweetieG
Jun. 14, 2011, 11:29 PM
Thanks for the info! Now I really can't wait to go back! Who took the pics this time? I would love to get a visual!

Kairoshorses
Jun. 14, 2011, 11:37 PM
Terrie Hatcher/photoreflect. You need a password, which Terrie told me to share:

we9b3

Cody
Jun. 15, 2011, 10:04 AM
I for once got a chance to see the xc courses, usually I'm in the show office and can't get out. What I saw of it, the foot was great! The courses were nice. They did move ALL the courses over to the new location. In November, they will also offer intermediate.

They also host a wonderful competitors party and I know for a fact that all the food is catered/prepared at the show as I had to smell it all day. More of you should come to that in November, you are truly missing wonderful food.

Kudos to the Texas Rose group for hosting a great event.

Nancy

purplnurpl
Jun. 15, 2011, 10:42 AM
They do a great job. The course looks nice and open!!
Can't wait to go out and school

I can't imagine how hot it was.
Glad they have their other trials in Nov and Feb/March! I'll def go to both of them.

yey!!

(ps, I really liked their other courses for the LL too)

LAZ
Jun. 15, 2011, 11:23 AM
My buddy Eric did the announcing and did x/c control; he said all the courses were lovely & rode well.

He was really impressed with what all they've done.

Aelfleah Farm
Jun. 15, 2011, 12:19 PM
My rider, and two of her friends (all riding Novice) thought the Novice course was extremely easy, and fast. There was enough terrain to keep them awake, but on the whole the fences were on the low side and unchallenging. Of course, this is from 3 young ladies itching to move up next spring.

texaseventer
Jun. 15, 2011, 12:27 PM
Yes, it was pretty low except for the one big table before the water and the shared Novice/Training brush (2nd to last on course). I have a feeling for the fall it will be a bit beefier! I really had fun though, and yes it rode FAST! My horse has major water phobias that we've been working on, and the new water is very inviting (and it's shaped like Texas, so you literally get to run across the state. :) I will definitely be going back. The Training course looked really inviting. I'm hoping that for the fall it hasn't become super crazy different ;) as I'm really eyeing that one as our move up course!!!

My only issue with them is that you have to pay a fortune for shavings and you have to strip stalls. (But their stabling is absolutely top notch). I didn't have a wheelbarrow or shovel so just had to suck it up and swallow my stall cleaning deposit!!

Aelfleah Farm
Jun. 15, 2011, 03:59 PM
Yep, the table (fence #9) and the last brush (#15) were the only full height/width Novice fences I think. And thankfully, the fences the photographer got the pics of!

We always plan on eating the deposit at TRHP. With a grey mare who's a stall pig, her stall needs 8 bags of shavings to be deep enough to keep her mostly clean, no matter how many times a day it's picked. With that red clay flooring, she just gets so stained up when she lays down otherwise. And It's too hot to spend a hour or more stripping the stall afterward. But the shavings thing gets me PO'd as I suck it up and by their over priced shavings, while a good 50% of other competitors ignored the "no outside shavings" and brought in their own, I'm sure much cheaper, shavings.

Aelfleah Farm
Jun. 15, 2011, 04:00 PM
Oh, and the kid and her grandma enjoyed the competitors party alot! They said the food was great!

Lucyjane
Jun. 15, 2011, 06:33 PM
The "no outside shavings" rule was changed, so we were free to bring our own. I'm really glad about that because it kind of hit me the wrong way when I read it initially. Silly I know, to be grumpy about shavings, but it adds up fast! And when choosing events something as simple as being made to feel unwelcome, or nickel and dimed, is enough to make you decide to go somewhere else...or maybe that's just me. We travel so far to get there, throwing away what amounts to a tank of gas in shavings is just not reasonable.

I thought the dinner was multiple kinds of salad and bread? Or was there more? We just couldn't get it together that early to make it to the party. Wish it had been just a bit later.

Loved the courses, and thought the use of terrain was fantastic. The course designer was out there all day watching, and really seemed to care about everyone having a good round and coming home safe. Hubby got quite an education listening to his comments about how "we" were riding the courses. Another thing that was pretty surprising given the lack of rain in Texas is how nice the ground was. Not sure what all was done to it, but it was easily the best footing I've been on this spring.

Overall a fantastic experience. Awesome dressage rings and the large stadium area really works well for my horse. This was our third time there and each time we have come away having learned something. Now if we could just learn enough to move up a bit in placings that would be a bonus. ;)