PDA

View Full Version : YEH 4 yr old test - how hard?

vbunny
Jun. 13, 2011, 04:59 PM
What level does the YEH 4 yr old test , specifically the jumping part(s), correspond to? BN? N? I have a client who wants to take a filly we have, I just want to make sure she won't get over faced. She's pretty green still, but kind and willing.

retreadeventer
Jun. 13, 2011, 05:11 PM
I would say novice, but the better balanced and the further along in your dressage training, the better the horse will show. Think of it more along the lines of an inspection type of evaluation, rather than a traditional dressage test -- I've scribed a lot and watched a lot of these, and the judges have a general scoresheet that is not like a traditional dressage test, it's more like an expanded collective remarks, because they judge on gaits and stuff and not just individual movements.
If she is green, that will show, but won't count against her if she's supple and responsive and balanced. For instance, you can "develop" a transition for the 4yo class but the judges I scribed for didn't use that against a horse, only if they fell into the gait on the forehand, for instance, and that was mostly a function of the rider not riding the horse as well as they could have.
I think it is a grand experience for a good young horse who needs an outing as it is fun for them to be stood up for conformation, do a little flat work in the ring, and then go jump a little and gallop and be on best behavior away from home! A good opportunity for your owner to get some good pictures and video, too, in a dress-up situation if the horse is for sale, too, if you are so inclined. Don't fear she isn't ready, you won't know until you try!

GotSpots
Jun. 13, 2011, 05:27 PM
Classes start smaller in the beginning of the year and build up through the season. I think the 4 yo jumps themselves are usually bigger than BN size, though not at all complicated and usually quite inviting. We've consistently taken very green 4 year olds and had super experiences with them, though often the scariest thing for the babies are the flower pots on the conformation triangle! Can always call the organizer, too, and see what they'll have there.