PDA

View Full Version : Saddle suggestions for a hard to fit Morab

Aussie08
Jun. 13, 2011, 10:48 AM
Hi All

I know that no two horses are the same, but I've got a Morab pony that I am having the devil of a time finding a saddle for. And yes, I'm one of those people that, at this time, can't afford two saddles for and am on a limited budget. I am bringing this pony into solid work to: 1. get him fit and educate him to eventing 2. improve my riding (very different ride from my TB) 3. He is super fancy and has a lovely jump! 4. be my backup ride if I have to scratch my TB.

I read with interest another thread about someone looking for an all purpose saddle but she had long hip to knee length. It seemed that most of the recommendations were to go with a jump saddle as apposed to an all purpose. That sounds like something I may need to do, not that I have extremely long legs. But so far, the 17" I've tried (an they may have been all purpose) the flap has been too short for my leg. I generally ride in a 17.5".

So, his real problem area is at the top of his shoulder just down from the whither. He gets really wide there, I did borrow a friends 17" Wintec (unsure of the model) and changed to gullet to x-wide and that worked for him but not for me. My husbands Wintec 2000 (18") is way too long for his back.

I am sure there are some of you out there that ride/event a horse/pony with like problems, so HELP! Keeping mind the budget (low right now).

Thanks for help and advice!