PDA

View Full Version : Aspen Redux

Mtn trails
Jun. 13, 2011, 01:54 AM
Just got back from Aspen Farms and had a great time! Met Lurker - thanks for braiding - and lots of other great folks. Weather was picture perfect, around 60s to low 70s overcast with sun in the afternoon. It was packed, but I found a nice camping spot all by myself behind everyone. Mare was spectacular! She was a little pissy in dressage which left us in 18th place (ugh) but redeemed herself in stadium with one knockdown and one refusal and we moved up to 13th. After a stellar ride on XC today with no refusals even at the scary water where several others met their match, we finished in 10th with 2.5 time faults. I didn't ask her to turn on the afterburners just wanting to get around and have a good positive experience and we had that.

She's really got the gist of it all and having a truly happy, confidence building time and I think a move up is in her near future. Unfortunately I didn't do the helmet cam or photos so alas no pics. A great time was had by all.

solstince
Jun. 14, 2011, 01:05 AM
Congrats!

I watched almost all of the Novice rounds, that water was really getting people last weekend...

pinkdiamondracing
Jun. 14, 2011, 11:00 AM
My family had a good go at Aspen as well-- My Dad won the Novice on a horse that hasn't been to a show in years, and my Sister finished 2nd in the OP on her new young horse ( was leading after Dressage, but had 4 time faults on XC)-- looks like she may have found "the one" to succeed El Primero ( there will only be one Tony Pony though)-- and this one is gonna be a good one too!!

canuckeh
Jun. 14, 2011, 03:54 PM
Yep, the water really caused my daughter and her horse some trouble in their JrNovice round. It was only their second event together and their first bumping up from BN. They were 8th after dressage, 9th after SJ (one rail down), but they got to that water and he just said "no way!", she ended up with 2 refusals but go him through, and then had a refusal at the funky log at the top of the hill. It was an odd jump with a drop right after it, and she said she didn't really present him properly, but he jumped it fine on their second presentation. They got through the rest of the course, and out of 25 riders in Junior Novice, 7 were eliminated. She was pleased with her round though, and felt it was a learning curve that was necessary.

The course and event was fantastic, run extremely well and for our first US event, I was thrilled!

Blugal
Jun. 15, 2011, 03:02 AM
I have to brag - my horse was super and I had a great time! We rode in the Prelim division and the course was difficult - lots of penalties - we had one of only three double clears on XC. It was so fun! The property is really amazing and the jumps were beautiful with lots of terrain.

The only problem was the first XC water at #6, which lots of combinations had trouble at, and there seemed to be a hole in the footing. This did cause at least one unscheduled dismount due to the TD sending over volunteers to work on the footing but not holding up the competitors (going at 2 minute intervals). Both the TD and organizer were upfront about the problem and promised to fix it for the next show.

Then my amazing mare followed it up with a clear SJ round (covering for me a time or two). She stumbled in the footing (a little deep) coming into jump 7 and the crowd gasped, but picked herself up (my legs were clamped on!) and cleared that big oxer anyway. I think that may be my first ever clear SJ at Prelim - I still have lots of work to do but it was a great feeling.

All in all, it was a well-run show and I really enjoyed my first trip there. They had good prizes and I heard that the Zeit Capital challenge divisions (Training and below) even had prize money, which is great for the "unsung" divisions.

Mtn trails
Jun. 15, 2011, 12:38 PM
Glad you had such a good time and your mare sounds like a keeper. The prizes and money they gave out for the Zeit challenge were awesome, up to $250+ plus prizes for first place. I watched most of the prelim stadium but think I missed yours, don't remember a horse stumbling.

Heinz 57
Jun. 15, 2011, 01:12 PM
Blugal, congrats!

And I gotta say, I looked at the pictures from Aspen yesterday and I just LOVE seeing all the faces you made throughout your rounds! :winkgrin: Well ridden, at least from the photos you guys really look like you had it under control.

Are you heading for Inavale at the end of the month?

Blugal
Jun. 15, 2011, 02:29 PM
Yes, those faces are something I am supposed to be working on at home - I am supposed to be projecting "serene" not "constipated" :lol:

We're not going to Inavale - although a nice event - it is such a long drive that we decided to skip it and head to Whidbey Island instead. Good luck if you are going!

Heinz 57
Jun. 15, 2011, 02:53 PM
Yes, those faces are something I am supposed to be working on at home - I am supposed to be projecting "serene" not "constipated" :lol:

We're not going to Inavale - although a nice event - it is such a long drive that we decided to skip it and head to Whidbey Island instead. Good luck if you are going!

We'll miss you! Especially now that you're out of my division and not competition anymore! ;)

I have a photo from NWEC that would be great, except I look like I must be in serious pain. Grimace city.

I'm planning to stay upright this time, although I'm still working out the best management solution for that crazy-big jump of his.

Mtn trails
Jun. 15, 2011, 07:36 PM
Where can I find the pics?

Heinz 57
Jun. 15, 2011, 07:54 PM
If this link doesn't work, just google Action Taken photography.

http://www.photoreflect.com/store/store.aspx?p=25921