PDA

View Full Version : Kinda bummed, going elem/intro again. *sigh* update

adragonwolf
Jun. 13, 2011, 12:52 AM
Ok, so kind of a whining post, but I got a fabulous new horse and due to his fitness level and mine my instructor said we should just do elem/intro. I am so bummed! I really wanted to have a go at beg/nov again but I have had the winter off and he had been in mothballs for awhile. To add to this, I am on medication that makes me heat sensitive and our first competition is in July (of course). He is wonderful and has competed up to intermediate but I only want to do beg/nov, hopefully at a recognized show next year. I know it's a doable goal, but I guess I feel like a complete newbie doing the baby level again. He is 17.3 hands, it will be like stepping over sticks with him. I want to be fair to him and make sure he is in shape and myself as well (I quite smoking 3 weeks ago, uggg!), so come on guys, kick my butt out of this pity party I'm having!:(

So, we did it! We came in 7th and here is the video of the dressage test, we scored 24.4. I am so proud to own this wonderful horse! Next year it's Woodside here we come!
http://youtu.be/d4MmQoj60Bw

FLeckenAwesome
Jun. 13, 2011, 04:21 AM
I hear yah... i've been talking about moving up to prelim, but life just kept getting in the way.. and now.. I'm still not sure if/when I'll do it. So I feel your frustration..

But it'll be okay. It might be HARDER to ride him over those little "sticks" than bigger jumps anyways ;) And... yep.. the fitness is a big deal. Especially in the summer... So... just vow to go out and PERFECT it :) And have fun!!

goodmorning
Jun. 13, 2011, 08:33 AM
I had a whine & wine party for myself last night....

Went to watch a local HT yesterday & was bummed that mine wasn't entered. Been having some hoof issues - I came home to said horse with another lost shoe and wanted to cry. A lost shoe typically mean a minimum of ~3 weeks off. This spring has ruined my horses feet which have been great for the past 2 yrs (no lost shoes!) :no: I really enjoy showing & taking my horse XC - it'd be nice to put the two together. About ready to go back to the h/j ring where opening & closing dates do not exsist, and I can at least enjoy my horse when he's sound. He's a pretty cool guy - and our dressage will never improve at this rate...

OP, I think with a little more fitness it will all come together - if he went I I can't imagine it will take much to get him back to BN, but a positive outing is always a good place to start...and ditto Fleckens thoughts on a big horse popping over little sticks ;)

deltawave
Jun. 13, 2011, 08:58 AM
If I had an unfit horse and was not 100% myself and facing a level I've not done before I'd be scared to death. Not to mention guilty of being very foolish.

The various levels are there for a reason, and there's nothing wrong with choosing the appropriate one for a given situation. I bounce up and down between BN and T constantly, depending on what's going on with me, the horse, my schedule, the weather, what my friends are doing, etc. etc.

And here's a STANDING OVATION for you for quitting smoking, hooray! :)

Clapclapclapclapclapclapclap!

JP60
Jun. 13, 2011, 09:14 AM
Hold on there partner! You are looking at this the wrong way. Boiling down what you posted... "boo hoo, I can't ride BN because my horse is out of shape, I'm physically off, and I just quit smoking" (which is AWESOME and will have you feeling off for a bit, but worth it; this from an ex-smoker of 15 years).

Let's change this around, looking at the positive, "man, I get to ride this amazing horse with my clean lungs in a beautiful environment with lots of other like people who love eventing". That sounds so good I wish I Could Do That!! Consider those that cannot even ride because of health, horse, or other issues. You can and must enjoy every moment. I have a horse that can jump 3' easy and I will be thrilled....Thrilled when we do our first cross rail course with confidence. That means the next will be 2', then 2'3' then 2'6 and if we never jumped again (like my mare) I'd enjoy every moment riding him.

So the only "wine" allowed here is that from a bottle after toasting a great weekend in the saddle. As penance, you now need to go and spend extra grooming time with you're fella. You'll feel better. :)

Aussie08
Jun. 13, 2011, 09:24 AM
Congrats are in order! Not only are you coming back into fitness, riding a newer, also coming back into fitness, horse, you are dealing with the meds and in the heat! Level should never matter as it's you and your partners well being that is important. And having a positive outcome, not to mention your trainer (whom I will guess you value their opinion) has given you her advice.

Yes, we've all (or at least most of us) have lamented having to drop down a level. I for one have dropped down to BN after encountering both horse and rider issues that needed to be fixed. And now, I've decided that for the sake of my 16yr old TB, BN is where I need to stay and I'll pick and choose venues that I want to run and will be fun! It's just that he'd have to rock back an use his self a bit more and I'm trying to keep him comfortable and there are a lot of fun BN courses out there.

So, if you have to start at Intro to get things running smoothly, it's just that, a start! You will probably move ahead rather quickly. And just think how things will feel in the fall! You'll be healthier and fitter, your horse will be fitter and your partnership will be really solid!

You Go Girl!

RunForIt
Jun. 13, 2011, 10:13 AM
Along the same lines as yourself and everyone else who has posted...I'm right there with you. I've got my sights on BN in October, and Novice by next spring...my horse was easily ready for Training when he came off the Thanksgiving PTF Novice XC...with my trainer. Returning to riding after a broken neck isn't exactly the straight forward road I had assumed it would be. :lol:

I was aghast yesterday when my trainer, Lellie Ward, started praising my riding and saying "That's exactly how you'll ride that Tadpole course..." :eek: TADPOLE!!!! WHAT!!!!????!!!! Yes, Tadpole it will be, at least for one, then maybe two events...eventing isn't about what level you're rdiing, it's about riding the level you and your horse can compete safely and so you can ride well and learn from each phase...AND HAVE FUN!!! :D :cool:

Lori B
Jun. 13, 2011, 10:55 AM
Never complain if your horse is sound and not launching you into the next county. :-)

You will have fun! Make sure and do some other strenuous outdoor activities (jog, bike, whatever) outside in the heat to get yourself acclimated. I am always amazed at how much the heat wallops me at a HTs.

Have a great time, and post pics.

Toadie's mom
Jun. 13, 2011, 01:52 PM
I quit smoking 25 yrs. ago and it was one of the most difficult things I've ever been through. Hopefully it is easier for you, but from my experience that was a big part of why I was bummed about other things. I was irritable about everything!

Anyway, good for you. I think once you get past the smoking issue the eventing level issue won't be so important.

ReveilleandRinsie
Jun. 13, 2011, 03:07 PM
I'm actually really excited about getting to go Intro this year! My mare and I are just now moving up from cross-rails, and I'm struggling with fitness myself. We've been at cross-rails for a year, ground poles for a year or two before that, and I'm SO thrilled to get to jump these awesomely huge 2'3 fences. :D

Even though I'll get beaten -- soundly beaten -- by people like you, I'm excited! I get to watch people like you ride, and I get to learn from your trips and your perseverance.

So I think you -- and folks in the same situation -- are awesome, and I'm grateful to you. Even though you're anxious to Get On With It Already, which I totally understand. :yes:

fooler
Jun. 13, 2011, 03:27 PM
Know that you are ahead of some us who are currently unable to even consider training or competing due to 'life issues'. Enjoy your ride - best of luck and keep us posted. :yes:

TBrescue
Jun. 13, 2011, 04:44 PM
I'd be thrilled to go elementary. My horse is on stall rest for a suspensory tear. We were fit and ready to go, now he's bored and I am disappointed.

Take your time and get yourself and your horse fit!! Congrats on quitting smoking

TheBrightSide06
Jun. 13, 2011, 04:50 PM
I've been at BN for 5 years due to the soundness issues of previous horses, training problems, finances, lack of trailer, etc. And I'm thrilled to be doing, yet, another BN next weekend on my new guy! I learn more and more every time I compete, no matter what level!

Good luck at your show!!

SilvyFilly
Jun. 13, 2011, 07:03 PM
This thread has really helped me put some things in perspective. I've been having a lot of riding problems/training problems, and our goal for the summer is to go Intro as well! And possibly BN in the fall if it all works out. The frustration is really great. I know my horse and I can do an intro half asleep, but my riding has gone to crap due to my back injury, and my horse is just marish at times, somedays she's PERFECT and other days shes just plain naughty. I finally bought the big shiney new trailer this year so thats one thing out of the way, but I really think that no matter WHAT happens, we are doing that Intro course unless either mare is broken, or i am REALLY broken. And it's going to be a blast!

wildlifer
Jun. 13, 2011, 08:53 PM
I feel your pain, I do -- we are supposed to be out working on Training Level right now. Instead, I have a messed up knee and horse has a messed up back. So instead, we are trotting stretchy circles and ground poles working on rebuilding solid muscles while I have my knee strapped together. I'd be psyched to jump a course, PSYCHED. Crap happens and horses teach us all about disappointment and solidiering on.

Plus falling off the horse in the heat would suck and then you could get hurt and end up like me, so all in all, I'd say it's not so bad.

adragonwolf
Jun. 14, 2011, 10:54 PM
Sorry I have been super busy with son graduating, family etc. Thank you guys for all your posts! You have really made me feel better and stop whining. There are others out there that can't ride for various reasons and it makes me think about what I DO have going for me. I have done beg/nov before but I remember panting more than my horse! I will have fun, and there is always next year. For all of you who can't ride and are bringing horses back I will be thinking of you. BTW, had my best jumping lesson EVER last week, we had one jump he finished by bucking afterwards, at 17.3 it was like being on one of those fake bulls on slow. I was laughing all the way and so was my instructor and we were jumping two foot and over so height won't be a problem later but fitness is right now. NO MORE BOO HOOING! I will post pics later, the event is in July.

Blugal
Jun. 15, 2011, 01:52 AM
Never complain if your horse is sound and not launching you into the next county. :-)

Exactly what I was going to say. I didn't compete 2008-2010 due to the above... it was SWEET when I returned and could say "my horse is sound and not launching me into the next county" !!! :D

adragonwolf
Jul. 12, 2011, 01:30 AM
OK guys, the event is in a couple of weeks and I am super excited! Me and the big guy went on our first actual cross country schooling and it couldn't have gone better. I had so much fun and actually went over beg/nov fences too. He kept aiming himself at the novice fences and seemed surprised when I gently corrected him and sent him to the elementary fences instead. LOL He is such a babysitter which is great since I have always had greenies to deal with and didn't get to concentrate on myself as much. With him I can grab mane three strides out and count on him to handle the job and I can just concentrate on my jumping position for once. As for my smoking, it's touch and go but I am breathing so much better and can ride longer. It depends on my stress level each day but I'm getting used to not having one in my hand and eat lots of gobstoppers!:D

Blugal
Jul. 12, 2011, 02:01 AM
Congratulations, sounds like you are having fun & good for you on your efforts to improve your health and fitness!

jenm
Jul. 12, 2011, 03:14 AM
The two important factors for you:

1. You have a horse and can afford to event.
2. Your horse is sound and will take care of you.

It shouldn't matter how high you are jumping unless you have a goal of competing at the ultimate high levels.

I LOVE that your trainer wants you to start slowly. A lot of trainers would be pushing you beyond what you are ready for because they are "embarrassed" to have clients at such a low level. Kudos to your trainer. :yes:

When I was horse shopping, I was looking for a horse similar to yours, but somehow ended up with a greenbean who knew nothing, so anything we do is an accomplishment to be celebrated. We ride with Brian Sabo who recently said he could easily see my mare "going Prelim" in the future, which is the best compliment ever. :) My new trainer will take my horse Novice soon in her first recognized event ever, and I plan on following but doing intro for our first time out.

Sure, your big boy may think the course if full of little speed bumps, but the important thing to remember is you are a team and you will have so much fun on your journey.

As others have posted, you have a sound horse and a bright future. Enjoy the ride and save your "whine" to pour in a glass for celebrating after the show.

Good luck and HAVE FUN!!

And of course, please post pictures. :)

SmallHerd
Jul. 12, 2011, 05:44 PM
I haven't competed in 2 years for a variety of reasons, including a horse who didn't want to event and a broken heel bone (not related), and finally have a horse who actually KNOWS stuff. LOVE HIM. BUT, he gets very excited on XC and I am a bit afraid of all that excitement and lack of control on my part. We will get there though with patience and proper training. Working on it now and hope to compete in a mini event this fall.

The way I look at it is that if I achieve all of my goals in one season, next season will be really boring!

It will happen and it will be sweeter when you do get there.

adragonwolf
Jul. 31, 2011, 11:58 PM
Check out my update!:D