PDA

View Full Version : PA Mt. Laurel Ride

lawndart
Jun. 12, 2011, 06:13 PM
Rode this afternoon, here is a link to photos if you are interested:

http://www5.snapfish.com/snapfish/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=3763048028/a=4058316028_4058316028/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

oldpony66
Jun. 13, 2011, 09:42 AM
Gorgeous!!! I love this time of year. I don't recognize the trails you were on, are those from near your place?

lawndart
Jun. 13, 2011, 09:56 AM
Yep, those are the trails I can access from Home. :D

I would have liked to hit Sand Spring today (but won't be able to) we rode out there last week, and the laurel was very close to popping. :)

Post some photos if you get to go. :yes:

baylady7
Jun. 13, 2011, 12:33 PM
where in PA is this? How far from Maryland (i.e. Frederick)?

lawndart
Jun. 13, 2011, 02:06 PM
Mapquest tells me it is 155 miles, around 3.5 hours to drive.

If you are interested in riding this area, PM me. The Laurel should be good for the rest of this week, possibly into the weekend, if we don't get hard rains.

The fall foliage here is amazing as well.

oldpony66
Jun. 13, 2011, 04:10 PM
"IF" I get to go? lol that is not an option. This is a must-ride time, along with the fall foliage. We've been out, in fact just got back now from a short outing along Kelly Trail which is the closest trail to my house. A mama grouse put on quite a show and spooked Sweet Tea, then did the same thing on the way back in. How do you work on that at home? ha ha. You'd think the turkeys and guinea hens would de-spook her from birds that flap around and make lots of noise. But it was gorgeous out today too, lots of white and pink as well. I think we're a couple days from "peak". I didn't take pictures but they'd look awfully similar to yours except more ferns.
It's awesome you don't have to ride any roads to get to your trails. I only have to ride 3/4 of a mile but it would be super if I could just head off onto a trail!

lawndart
Jun. 13, 2011, 06:46 PM
Well I do have to cross a few farm fields first :) And I have to pass the killer cows on the way. The cows that are the same color and size as the cows in my pastures. Why they are so scary to my horses, I have no idea.

I love where I live. :D

oldpony66
Jun. 14, 2011, 07:07 AM
Crossing fields isn't bad. My issue with roads are, #1 cars that go too fast and don't move over. We have an S-curve with NO shoulder that freaks me out. Most of the way is OK, if I could get a shoulder on that part of the road I'd be much happier... thankfully many days we see few, if any cars, and #2 particularly on Sundays we have to deal with the buggies that are most certainly going to eat us (well, the horse in front is running away, isn't it?) But it's all good because I've never been able to ride out to trails this beautiful anywhere else I've lived!

oldpony66
Jun. 14, 2011, 07:12 AM
wait, just re-read your post. So your horses are ok with YOUR cows but not the other cows? That's funny (in a stupid way)! Of course, I have one that is nearly bombproof on the trails but scared to death of our garden hose (BIG SNAKE!) and no, as long as you have it in your hand washing him he's fine, he just doesn't want to walk over it. Silly boy.

lawndart
Jun. 14, 2011, 09:24 PM
wait, just re-read your post. So your horses are ok with YOUR cows but not the other cows? That's funny (in a stupid way)! Of course, I have one that is nearly bombproof on the trails but scared to death of our garden hose (BIG SNAKE!) and no, as long as you have it in your hand washing him he's fine, he just doesn't want to walk over it. Silly boy.

Yep, hard to tell WHAT they are going to be spooked by.

I should tell you we ran into TWO black rattlesnakes as Tea Springs last week.