PDA

View Full Version : Breeding at Bromont

ruby111
Jun. 12, 2011, 07:12 PM
Anyone know the breeding and stud book of Loughan Glen and Rehy Lux.?Thank you in advance for any info.

bornfreenowexpensive
Jun. 12, 2011, 08:30 PM
All I know is that they are both Irish Sport Horses Rehy Lux is by Olympic Lux and Loughan Glen is by Limerick but can't find any info on their dam lines.

SLR
Jun. 12, 2011, 08:50 PM
LG is by Limmerick (Hols) out of Tattymacall (ISH) by Cut the Mustard (TB)

Rehy Lux by Olympic Lux (KWPN) out of Wells Unpredictable(ISH) by Kenmare (TB)

Wits End Eventing
Jun. 13, 2011, 08:54 PM
LG is by Limmerick (Hols) out of Tattymacall (ISH) by Cut the Mustard (TB)

Rehy Lux by Olympic Lux (KWPN) out of Wells Unpredictable(ISH) by Kenmare (TB)

Looks like Tattymacall's full name is Tattymacall Mustard.

I put what I could figure out (quickly) into allbreed for both. Please correct errors if you find them or insert the Dam line on both as they are (of course) missing.

Why do we not care about the dams?

vineyridge
Jun. 14, 2011, 07:32 PM
WE care about dams. Traditionally, the Irish haven't; I think it's got something to do with a very male chauvinist culture. They think of the mare as a "conduit" only for the sire.

Napoles
Jun. 15, 2011, 06:15 AM
I don't know about that. I know a lot of old boys who would say that a lot more depends on the mare than the stallion when it comes to the final result. Maybe the gradings and performance criteria are not always there (although I remember a very good mare we had getting a bursery of 1,000 Irish pounds many years ago because she showed so well at a performance evaluation), but I think on the ground level a lot of the older breeders would have put a lot of weight on the importance of the mare.

Here's our old girl's breeding if any of the pedigree gurus want to disect it? I'd love to hear your thoughts..
Clongish didn't stand in Ireland very long and then moved to Denmark. I need to get her passport to include the Dam's dam. I can't remember it off the top of my head..
http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/carhue+dolly

vineyridge
Jun. 15, 2011, 08:50 AM
You're Irish and undoubtedly correct. But there was thinking years ago that the mares themselves had to be good, but then they became the vessel for the stallion. I've noticed when I discuss pedigrees with some Irish people who aren't quite as mare-centric as TB folks tend to be because of the sales pages that the mares are never discussed as anything other than a daughter of their sire. It's almost as if the mares don't bring anything uniquely theirs to the pedigree. Even today, mare pedigrees are "Unknown" sometimes; and "Unknown" was far more prevalent in the past for mares. Of course in many cases, the dam's lines really might have been unknown, but that's rarely true today.

I remember trying to persuade someone from Ireland that Blandford was perhaps the greatest line ever for sporthorses, and having to say" Yes, BUT LOOK AT THE MARES IN HIS PEDIGREE!"

I don't know about that. I know a lot of old boys who would say that a lot more depends on the mare than the stallion when it comes to the final result. Maybe the gradings and performance criteria are not always there (although I remember a very good mare we had getting a bursery of 1,000 Irish pounds many years ago because she showed so well at a performance evaluation), but I think on the ground level a lot of the older breeders would have put a lot of weight on the importance of the mare.

Here's our old girl's breeding if any of the pedigree gurus want to disect it? I'd love to hear your thoughts..
Clongish didn't stand in Ireland very long and then moved to Denmark. I need to get her passport to include the Dam's dam. I can't remember it off the top of my head..
http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/carhue+dolly

Napoles
Jun. 15, 2011, 09:36 AM
I get what you're saying. Sort of like when I describe the mare whose pedigree I posted I tend to say she was by Clongish out of a Carnival Night mare. Thing is, if I said she was by Clongish and out of Tipperary Jessie, the mare's name would most likely not mean anything to someone, unless she was a famous performance mare.

You're Irish and undoubtedly correct. But there was thinking years ago that the mares themselves had to be good, but then they became the vessel for the stallion. I've noticed when I discuss pedigrees with some Irish people who aren't quite as mare-centric as TB folks tend to be because of the sales pages that the mares are never discussed as anything other than a daughter of their sire. It's almost as if the mares don't bring anything uniquely theirs to the pedigree. Even today, mare pedigrees are "Unknown" sometimes; and "Unknown" was far more prevalent in the past for mares. Of course in many cases, the dam's lines really might have been unknown, but that's rarely true today.

I remember trying to persuade someone from Ireland that Blandford was perhaps the greatest line ever for sporthorses, and having to say" Yes, BUT LOOK AT THE MARES IN HIS PEDIGREE!"

vineyridge
Jun. 15, 2011, 07:06 PM
Or the dam of some damn fine horses that were famous for performance. If you think about it, there is no sport horse equivalent of Urban Sea--unless Famm is it. Welton Gazelle might also have been it. But those mares are few and far between.

I get what you're saying. Sort of like when I describe the mare whose pedigree I posted I tend to say she was by Clongish out of a Carnival Night mare. Thing is, if I said she was by Clongish and out of Tipperary Jessie, the mare's name would most likely not mean anything to someone, unless she was a famous performance mare.

3phase
Jun. 15, 2011, 07:49 PM
What about In the Trance??? He's super cute!

Napoles
Jun. 16, 2011, 05:30 AM
I suppose Ratina Z is one of the most famous performance mares in the world. :yes:
And we could pick Headley Brittania from the eventing world.
Maybe with Embryo Transfer becoming more mainstream we will see more offspring from famous performance mares?

Or the dam of some damn fine horses that were famous for performance. If you think about it, there is no sport horse equivalent of Urban Sea--unless Famm is it. Welton Gazelle might also have been it. But those mares are few and far between.