PDA

View Full Version : cashel trail kit? Any opinions?

Mukluk
Jun. 12, 2011, 04:03 PM
Does anyone have one have one of these? Opinions?

http://www.longridersgear.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=782

Guilherme
Jun. 12, 2011, 05:38 PM
Interesting idea but it looks like it rides on the horse's neck at the front of the device. That has the possibility of chafing. Get it up off the neck and it looks good.

G.

CosMonster
Jun. 12, 2011, 08:04 PM
I have a friend who has one. She did have problems with chafing (well, actually rubbing the mane out, it didn't seem to bother the horse but it was damaging the hair) so she added a sheepskin pad under it. IIRC she just bought the sheepskin at the local leather shop and cut it to fit. Very easy and affordable. She loved hers.

I usually ride with a camel back bag for water which also allows me to fit small things in it (not a full backpack but a very slim version) so I just carry my essentials in that. A concern I have is that survival-type things (flashlight, first aid kit, mobile phone, compass, etc.) should be carried on the rider's person in case you get separated from your horse. The map pocket is really handy though.

Guilherme
Jun. 12, 2011, 09:16 PM
I stuck with the conservative "chafing" vice the more dramatic "rubs the mane out" as I was unsure of just how bad it might be. Now I know. :)

A sheepskin could work. I'd still prefer it off the body entirely, but this might be a good compromise.

Fully concur that "need to have" stuff should be on the rider's person and not on the horse.

G.

Mukluk
Jun. 13, 2011, 02:02 AM
I won one in a raffle and am not sure what to do with it!