PDA

View Full Version : How big is your house?

MsM
Jun. 12, 2011, 02:59 PM
It seems that (at least until recently) people have felt that they "needed" larger and larger homes. It kind of boggles my mind to see the TV shows in which a couple with one child (and no more planned) have "outgrown" their 2,500 sq ft home!
So how big is your home? You might want to add how many in your household (of the human variety. Yes I include teenagers in that...)

ManyDogs
Jun. 12, 2011, 03:07 PM
Ours is about 1600 and although size wise it would be OK, the layout is typical 70s ranch with small closets. When I look at house plans, usually under 2500 would be fine for the two of us...and our 9 dogs.
I want a one story house with a big unfinished upstairs, large rooms, open floor plan, and HUGE closets. Also a big utility room for dirty dogs.
I love those home shows, but have to laugh at the first time home buyers who are looking at houses priced at half a million dollars or more. In this economy?
But then, DH says huge barn and small house. That sounds like a plan!

Wayside
Jun. 12, 2011, 03:08 PM
997 square feet for us. Two bedrooms, one and a half baths for DH and I, our 7 year old son, one 40lb dog, and two cats.

I actually really like having a "small" house, by today's standards, though DH and I are on a quest to find more storage space. The total square footage is less of a problem than the fact that the house is older and has small rooms with no closets, for example.

We have re-done the upstairs bed and bath, which gave us a bedroom closet and a linen closet, and more cabinet space in the bathroom (plus insulation, better windows, and a whole lot of other good stuff!). Re-did the downstiars bedroom, and since it was so tiny, we could afford to put in a tin ceiling and crown moulding. Touches like that are WAY more affordable in a small house.

I'd like to have a spare bedroom, a coat closet, and a larger kitchen, but I love having a small living room. We can't have too many people over at once, but when we do have guests for dinner or something, it's very cozy, and you feel much more connected to the people that you're sitting next to or right across from. I find it next to impossible to have a good conversation with someone sitting 20+ feet away in a larger space.

Wayside
Jun. 12, 2011, 03:15 PM
I love those home shows, but have to laugh at the first time home buyers who are looking at houses priced at half a million dollars or more. In this economy?

That's another great point. Since we paid around 90k for our house, the payments were quite reasonable, and even though the economy took a turn for the worse right after we bought, we really haven't lost much. Basically, we haven't gained any of the value from any of the improvements we've made (other than the energy savings and our own enjoyment), but we didn't lose any value either. Having a smaller less expensive home does make negative market changes less painful, though we'll also gain less if things improve.

evenstar
Jun. 12, 2011, 03:15 PM
Pretty big range from 1,000 - 2,500 sq feet. My house is 1,008 sq feet and suits me just fine. I long ago made the decision that I'd rather spend money boarding my horse(s) than on a big mortgage. No regrets.

Lostboy
Jun. 12, 2011, 03:28 PM
Mine is huge.. I am more than ready to downsize but doing all the sale prep and then hoping for a buyer to come along deters me from even trying to sell. It's easier to leave the extra rooms all fixed up and then never walk in them, unless there is some family gathering or something..
smaller would be nice . . . some day . . . but then my parents will need care and to move in or there will be grand kids and assorted extra people
always something..

seeuatx
Jun. 12, 2011, 03:35 PM
I'm not sure the exact # but we are under 1000. We have a small but acceptable living room, and bedroom, a small spare bedroom, a nice full bath, a small utility/ 1/2 bath room, and galley kitchen with a dining nook on the end.

I think we have enough room, but would kill for some more kitchen storeage and a basement (just a crawl space). Thus all our crap is out in the open since we have no storage... but the living space is more than enough for hubby and me, the 2 dogs and kitty.

JanM
Jun. 12, 2011, 03:38 PM
Mine is bigger than I planned for, but an extra is the bonus room over the garage, and that means the attic has a small real door, and I can walk in to change the furnace filters instead of crawl up the pull-down stairs to the attic. Plus the bonus room is where I have things like my suit jackets and save that closet space. Plus, I live about 15 miles outside of town so it means I can have the plastic storage shelves with spare paper goods, and such so I don't have to do without or run to town if I run out of things. It's amuch better floor plan than anything I've lived in before. And the kitchen cabinets plus pantry closet hold everything I've accumulated, and are great for food storage too, so I'm happy with that. I can't imagine what I'd do with one of those 5,000 sq ft behemoths.

Beverley
Jun. 12, 2011, 03:40 PM
Way bigger than we really needed w/ a family of four. But handy for the frequent visitors, family and friends, who come to ski or play. Couldn't afford to buy it now, but bought bigger than VA home we sold because of the difference in housing markets.

Ironically, my husband is the one who always wanted bigger, and has in the last couple of years expressed a desire to downsize. I am fonding of reminding him we can do that as soon as he gets rid of lots of his stuff. Like the huge train layout and pool table in the basement. He's not quite ready to go there, yet.

MunchkinsMom
Jun. 12, 2011, 03:59 PM
Over 4,000 sq feet here, and trust me, some weekends it is still not big enough when my daughter brings all her friends to spend the week. And my in-laws live with us also, so we need enough room to be able to get away from each other.

Tobias
Jun. 12, 2011, 04:20 PM
34' camper!!!!
6 people
2 dogs (small)

we moved from a 2600 sq. ft. house to this! people have told us that we are crazy, but we like it, and we are saving money to finally buy our own property.

Serigraph
Jun. 12, 2011, 04:28 PM
2000+. Hubby, me and 4 dogs. Outside 2 horses and a pony.

I'd go for a smaller house and a bigger farm in a heartbeat. Never have been a big fan of big houses. Small and cozy is perfect.

iloverocky
Jun. 12, 2011, 04:39 PM
About 1,750 for 2 adults, 3 cats, and 2 dogs. It's bigger than I wanted, but not too big. I prefer lots of land and a small house to a huge house on a tiny lot.

up-at-5
Jun. 12, 2011, 04:46 PM
2000+. Hubby, me and 4 dogs. Outside 2 horses and a pony.

I'd go for a smaller house and a bigger farm in a heartbeat. Never have been a big fan of big houses. Small and cozy is perfect.

I agree!! We have a 2600sq ft home, and I hate it! We have a huge living room that we never use, as well as a big dining room. Three car garage, etc. I am now on the look-out for more useable acreage. We have 22 acres, most of which is wooded. All we use in the house is bathroom, bedroom, kitchen and family room. Would love to downsize the house, and upsize the farm!

carolprudm
Jun. 12, 2011, 04:47 PM
5000 square feet.

It was great when we had my mom and our 3 kids, plus strays but now I would like to downsize.
However I'm not ready to give up my barns and ring and pool and greenhouse. It sure was nice that each teenger had his or her own bathroom on school mornings

This
http://www.riverbendtf.com/floorplans/pleasantmeadow_fp.html

is my dream house though it's not going to happen. We would not finish the second floor. The first floor is handicapped friendly

SarahandSam
Jun. 12, 2011, 04:57 PM
1478, I believe... 5 bedrooms, but it's from 1915, so two of the bedrooms are teeny-tiny and have no closets. I actually use one of them as my closet, aka The Room Where My Clothes Live. One tiny bath. It's an old foursquare house and the attic was converted into another bedroom, storage and my tack closet. (:

That's for two people, two dogs and three cats... plenty of space for us... and a nice backyard, for the city.

Guin
Jun. 12, 2011, 05:07 PM
I don't know about square feet, but I have 3 br and a bath upstairs; downstairs is a guest room (2 twin beds), office/study, combo kitchen/living area, dining room and tv room.

I bought it as a 3-br ranch, and when we were going to have a 2nd child, we knocked the roof off and added the second floor. Now I'd like to take the second floor off again!

It is way too big now that both kids will be in college in the fall. I particularly look at the dining room and think what a waste of space - we eat in front of the tv or around the kitchen table. Basically the dining room exists for the bunny to live in. :D

Next house: No dining room, three bedrooms instead of four, and have a bigger kitchen/smaller living area. Must have office/study as well!

mvp
Jun. 12, 2011, 05:16 PM
This
http://www.riverbendtf.com/floorplans/pleasantmeadow_fp.html

I'm so glad you re-posted this site!

Last OT day I had a total Alex Haley/"Roots" moment with those Timber Frame houses. Before that, I thought I wanted a log cabin or old farmhouse. I was wrong.

For the first time ever I live in a swanky studio apartment and I learned a lot. I want open space (but not a lot) and a butt load of storage. A great room is the best design ever, IMO.

Same for the rest of you with respect to the farm. Functional, small house with the money sunk into a great barn and enough land. I have learned, too, that I want storage buildings for the farm supplies equipment and vehicles.

tullio
Jun. 12, 2011, 05:21 PM
just over 2700 sf for me and DH, two dogs and a cat. Love this house but when we're done moving, we will look for something a little smaller with a lot more land.

knightrider
Jun. 12, 2011, 05:44 PM
I just sold my 2400 sq ft house...and i wanted MUCH smaller...but while my new house has fewer bedrooms, I'm not sure its that much smaller...its 1600 sq ft upstairs but then a good portion of the basement is finished and it has a garage plus storage in the basement...so its really not that much smaller...the advantage is that it only has 2 bathrooms to clean vs. 4 and I'll only have 2 br's upstairs vs. 4...the roommate will have the entire basement so if you factor him in, i am downsizing...when BF moves in, we may be tight as he will have his kids some so I'm not sure roomie will get to stay....

For just me, the 2 br's and 16 square feet is more than ample...I'm more interested in hanging in the yard and the barn anyway.

GypsyQ
Jun. 12, 2011, 05:52 PM
We are right at 1000 sf (1918 bungalow). It holds 2 adults, a 2 year old, 3 dogs (Border collie, ACD, and hound) and 3 cats. It works for us. There are no plans to add any more bodies, 2 or 4 legged. There are plans to one day expand the kitchen and turn the attic space into a library.

We are also on 26 acres (3 horses and 5 chickens outside) so there is plenty of room to move around out there.

equinedriver
Jun. 12, 2011, 06:04 PM
I feel really stupid, but I am finally going to ask.........what is a DH?

We have 2600 plus a 400 sq ft studio apartment. Sounds big, but we only live on the main floor which is probably 1800 or so. 3 bed 2 bath, but since my husband and I both work at home we use the other 2 bedrooms as offices, so perfect for us. Master with bath, great room, kitchen laundry, 2 bed and bath. There are two beds and a bath up, so if the kids come home or we have company they have the up stairs. Otherwise, I made an insulated panel that covers the stairs and we shut off the heat/air and don't know it's there. Have a friend getting a divorce moving into the studio apartment, so glad she will have her own space.

carolprudm
Jun. 12, 2011, 06:04 PM
I'm so glad you re-posted this site!

Last OT day I had a total Alex Haley/"Roots" moment with those Timber Frame houses. Before that, I thought I wanted a log cabin or old farmhouse. I was wrong.

For the first time ever I live in a swanky studio apartment and I learned a lot. I want open space (but not a lot) and a butt load of storage. A great room is the best design ever, IMO.

Same for the rest of you with respect to the farm. Functional, small house with the money sunk into a great barn and enough land. I have learned, too, that I want storage buildings for the farm supplies equipment and vehicles.
We have 44 acres in teh next county and we were planning on taking the profits from the sale of this house to build our new house and BIG barn.

What profits?

ACP
Jun. 12, 2011, 06:06 PM
We - husband and I and 1 cat - have an apartment with two bedrooms and two baths. 2nd bedroom is the physics office for hubby. Kitchen, dining area and living room are all open to each other. According to the apartment complex web site, we have 1106 square feet. I'd have preferred the three bedroom, with 1207 square feet, so we had a guest room. Which hubby didn't want! I'm 65, he's 75, so we don't want a yard or garden or stuff to take care of.

Horse is boarded at a very nice place.

ACP
Jun. 12, 2011, 06:07 PM
I feel really stupid, but I am finally going to ask.........what is a DH?

DH = Dear Husband.

Perfect Pony
Jun. 12, 2011, 06:13 PM
Pretty big range from 1,000 - 2,500 sq feet. My house is 1,008 sq feet and suits me just fine. I long ago made the decision that I'd rather spend money boarding my horse(s) than on a big mortgage. No regrets.

Ditto this. I didn't even answer the poll because that seems like a ridiculous range. 1800+ sf is a pretty large house.

I live in 1022 sf (3 bed/1/bath) and it's the perfect size for the 2 of us and the 2 dogs, I would just love a second toilet since we both work full time. Less then 1600sf seems like a manageable size, but we look at homes over 1800sf and don't have a clue what we would do with all the space. And I have no desire to clean it or spend the $$ to heat and cool it.

msj
Jun. 12, 2011, 06:13 PM
But when I bought the house and land and knew I was planning a horse farm, I figured for resale I'd need at least a 3 bedroom, 2 bath with family room because more than likely a family of 4 would be buying it. That was 21 yrs ago.

Fortunately the home is insulated extremely well and is passive solar so although I'm all electric, my utility bills are not very high considering the size of the house, barn with 2 heated rooms, an indoor arena, an outdoor arena with 3 large lights as well as 2 dusk to dawn lights.

I didn't buy the house though for the insulation and passive solar but because it has WONDERFUL closet space and was a raised ranch. I can leave all the upper level windows open at night and still feel very safe as compared to the ranch condo that I moved from to here.

As for closets, well, we all know women have multiple wardrobes. There's the summer work, play, and riding wardrobes, as well as winter work, play, and riding and spring/fall work, play and riding. :D Then we have the clothes size we are wearing, the one we grew out of and the one we are growing into! :D :D :D:D

CarolinaGirl
Jun. 12, 2011, 06:18 PM
Hubby and I (with two dogs and a cat) have something like 1290 sq ft for our first house. Three bedrooms and 2 baths. Master, guestroom, and then the last room is used as an office. We like our layout pretty well as it is a split plan with the master on one side of the house and everything else on the other side. I do wish we had a bigger kitchen though... that has been my only complaint. I've learned I like baking and cooking and I don't have near enough room. We also really could use a pantry.

Lone
Jun. 12, 2011, 06:29 PM
I'm only renting, but my place is a 1 bedroom hours, just under 750 square feet for my dog and I. I love my house and it has a great backyard for my dog. Last year I lived in a 380 sq ft studio apartment and I loved that (but I didn't have a dog.) this house is much bigger than I need, but the rent is affordable, the house is nice and I love the yard and location!

bits619
Jun. 12, 2011, 06:37 PM
MrB and I are currently in a house that's probably 1300sq ft, but the biggest room of that is a 'dog room' for all the foster dogs and their stuff (feed, bathtub, crates, storage cabinets for yard stuff and dog toys).
If I can't sleep at night, I take the house and mentally demolish--- err, rennovate it. If i try to keep the original footprint but rearrange all the walls, i think it would be much more livable.

This house is actually quite a joke... horrible layout, low-end everything. Today I was just scrubbing the dog dirt from the walls and discovered the paper thin/cardboard-esqe wall had a huge crack caused by a medium dog leaning into it while sitting down... I told MrB I felt like someone who had bought one of the houses that was flipped for under 2k using slapped-together superficial crap! Thankfully, this is a temporary situation!

CatPS
Jun. 12, 2011, 07:06 PM
700sqft for me, my hubs, and the cat. It's a little tight, especially once I start piling up tack that needs to be cleaned. We have no garage or other storage space outside that 700sqft. If we had more storage space and a half bath (just one bath right now) it'd be perfect.

I can't imagine we'll ever want more than 2500 square feet, even when we do have kids. I'm thinking something in the 1750-2000 range will be perfect for our family. Plus, I absolutely despise house cleaning... further motivation to keep me away from giant houses!

Tha Ridge
Jun. 12, 2011, 07:35 PM
I don't know if you meant house generally (including apartments) or not, but in case you're including apartments, way under 1,000 sq. ft. here—about 550 sq. ft., in fact. (The price one pays to live in Manhattan.)

Of course, I'm totally of the mindset that space is very much overrated. In fact, just the other day, I saw gorgeous photos from a home tour of a NYC couple living in a 1-bedroom apartment with two kids. Yes, *two* small children.

MistyBlue
Jun. 12, 2011, 07:38 PM
Carol...I love that timber dream house of yours!
My dream house is also a timber home. Open floor plan, fireplace I can roast an ox in, natural interior walls, mostly kitchen, walls of windows and no visible neighbors. :D

My current house is my favorite so far. A ranch...1450 sf on the main level and another 500 sf in the finished walk out basement. The floor plan really works for me. 5 rooms on the main floor: 3 bedrooms, 2 full baths, kitchen and living room. The kitchen and LR are both the same size, both pretty large considering the size of the house. No formal dining room, the kitchen's eat-in area has a farmhouse table that seats 10 so no dining room needed. The basement is finished with an open 20x25 family room area that has the laundry behind folding doors, a large walk in closet that's plumbed for a 3rd bath but we call it the Lamp and Rug room since we just store extra lamps, rugs, etc in there now. There's another double closet for winter outer-wear and it opens onto both the back patio and garage. The garage was converted before we bought the house to remove the garage door and add a wall, so it's storage instead. There's also an 11x20 woodshop type room that has the furnace in there too. All wall shelves and work tables for tools and storage and it stays 80 very dry degrees in there year round. So a perfect spot for drying horse blankets fast, LOL! The family room area isn't finished fancy or anything and that area is storing a bunch of extra furniture leftover from our previous bigger homes, a mudroom area and my home gym.

If it wasn't so cost prohibitive I'd knock the wall down between the kitchen and living room for one big great room, but that would also mean an entire kitchen remodel. Big bucks! In a few years we're thinking of converting the deck off the kitchen into an enclosed sunroom. The view is awesome...overlooks the woods, barn, paddocks and ring area.

Mr Blue prefers bigger homes, our first house together was 3800 sf IIRC and 11 rooms. Our last house was 2400 sf and 7 rooms. I do not miss having a formal LR and formal DR at all. Wasted spaces, IMO. It was nice having a library and office with our first house, but we actually used those. We no longer need either really though.

In CT, in order to move from a residential home to a place to keep horses...you give up house for land. I don;t miss the bigger homes at all. Keeping them clean is a PITA. Nobody needs that many toilets to clean unless you have a ton of kids. I hate a messy house, keeping some of the over-sized homes clean is almost a full time job. Although they don't get cluttered as fast as the smaller homes, but smaller homes are much faster to clean! Ideal sized home for husband and I is between 1400-1600 or so sf IMO. Enough for entertaining and having the kids come visit, but not cavernous.

clanter
Jun. 12, 2011, 08:50 PM
older ranch house.... 135 feet end to end... about 3800 sq/ft

we were going to sale the place after the kids grew up but its on nearly three acres in the middle of the city... it is the middle lot of fifteen... five in front, five in back and two on either side... so we are setting in the middle of about fifty acres in the middle of 6 million people... major mall ($2B) is just a 3/4 mile away.

Older daughter and husband have sold her home and will be taking over the west end of three bedrooms and two baths. My wife and I will use the west end which has a seperate bedroom, bath and an additional room that was the old living room

The common areas will be the familyy room, dining and kitchen

Five horses, one pony and three minis also live here

Canaqua
Jun. 12, 2011, 09:01 PM
Maybe 1300? I'm not sure. Six total rooms, three bedrooms, two of the bedrooms are tiny. There are just DH, 8 year old boy, dog, cat and I here most of the time, though there are two rather big college aged boys who come in and out for vacations. When they are here it seems smaller ;). Size of the house is more than fine for us, it's the lack of storage space that is a problem, another 70s "throw em up fast with no thought involved", house. Whoever designed it obviously didn't live in one...there is not ONE closet on the first floor.

katie+tru
Jun. 12, 2011, 09:33 PM
About 1700 sq. ft. 3 bedrooms, 2 full baths (plus plumbing for a half in the basement), finished basement, ranch style. Our last house was a townhouse which was a bit smaller, but you know what? It felt SO much bigger because of the two stories. I've lived in this house for about 7 years and all I know is that I'll be avoiding one story houses when I'm in the market for my own. I hate having the bedrooms just several steps from the living room!

Four people here, parents and my also college-aged sister and I. Two cats.

asb_own_me
Jun. 12, 2011, 09:34 PM
3600 sq ft, just DH and I, four Dobermans and as of tomorrow, two new cats. The house has is laid out so that we're on the main floor 85% of the time.....the kitchen, dining room, master bed/bath, laundry, my office, my craft/sunroom, another bathroom and the living room are all on the main floor. Downstairs are a big utility/storage room, another living room, a bathroom, DH's office, two guest bedrooms, and another room where I have the treadmill and some misc furniture that doesn't have a home.

It's bigger than we *need* but I like having my own spaces, especially since I work from home when I'm not onsite in a facility. It's important to not sit in bed with the laptop.....days I do that, I don't get anything done! I also like having guest bedrooms for my mom and stepdad and my nana, and that bathroom, all downstairs, that we never use so they are always clean, ready and never cluttered with anything else. There is no scramble to clean for guests except to dust :) Guests like that they have their own space as well.

mswillie
Jun. 12, 2011, 10:26 PM
Roughly 1450 sq feet. Now that my son is married and on his own it's just 2 adults and too many cats.

It started out as a 1940's 750 sq. ft bungalow which was really too small so we had an addition put on. Pretty much doubled the space. My favorite is the laundry room. No more trucking clothes to the dark dingy basement.

For this area, even with the addition, it's still a small house. The McMansion is still all the rage here.

spacytracy
Jun. 12, 2011, 10:53 PM
We have an 1879 stone farmhouse. Its about 1200 sq. feet, 2 bedrooms (one is the size of a walk-in closet), 1 bath, 1 living room, kitchen. That's it. Basically 4 rooms and a bathroom. Its called a 2-square.

Its tight. There's no storage space (2 closets in the entire place) so its difficult.

But, we manage! I'm hoping we can add on a little - all we'd need for me to be satisfied is an additional bedroom (we have friends over alot) and larger kitchen, so we could turn the current kitchen into a dining room space.

MistyBlue
Jun. 12, 2011, 10:55 PM
Any photos Spacey? I haven't seen a 2 square house in ages!

gdolapp
Jul. 3, 2011, 12:21 AM
We have a big 3000+ old, old, two story farm house. Four bedrooms
living room, formal dining room, huge kitchen, bathroom and a huge laundry room.

NeedsAdvil
Jul. 3, 2011, 12:26 AM
I wish I could vote twice. I split my time between my house (tiny guest house on farm) which is around 500 sq feet and my bf's house which is 7000+ square feet. Both have their pros and cons, but I prefer smaller. I think our "perfect" home will be around 2000 sq feet.

HPFarmette
Jul. 3, 2011, 12:28 AM
I love my small house. Me, 4 dogs, 2 cats.

War Admiral
Jul. 3, 2011, 12:30 AM
Under 1,000. But I'm single, so that's one whole bedroom I don't really use!

Gnalli
Jul. 3, 2011, 12:29 PM
In the last 13 yrs, we have moved from 2600 to 1848 to 800-with 4 kids. Right now, we are being creative. I have the house with 800 sq ft, then a detached 1 car garage that we have turned into 2 bedrooms and a utility room, and my 17 yr took over my outside seperate office (so cute with a little porch) as her room. However, there are no decent closets in here. NONE. The upside-it is paid for. The down side, it is on 1/2 acre. The other upside, in 4 yrs, it will just be dh and me....My 23 yr old is married and has her own place, the 20 yr old lives here 3-4 days a week (its complicated, and involves her dream job which pays NOTHING), my 17 yr old is senior, and my 15 yr old takes up about a half an inch of space, lol.

I miss my bigger houses, though. I do not miss the big utility payments. I do miss a kitchen that is not a 1 butt kitchen, so I regularly steal my mil's kitchen. She is so totally fine with that.

tradewind
Jul. 3, 2011, 12:41 PM
I wish mine was half the size. My hubby likes a larger home, but to me the expense of upkeep, heat etc is simply not worth. Plus it is just the two of us..also he is not the one who has to clean it!

redkat
Jul. 3, 2011, 12:46 PM
A little below 1250 square feet for a 3br/2-bath house. It's just me and the cats, and whoever is staying in the guest room on any given weekend. The size is good for me at this point in my life, with a little room to grow if hell ever freezes over and I meet a guy.

BigRedBoo
Jul. 3, 2011, 12:52 PM
Just under 700 square feet.
Ah, the joys of living in one of the highest priced housing markets in the country (and renting)!

It's me, hubby, and daughter; plus 2 cats. We'll be joined by a Boston Terrier pup next week, and I'm a little nervous about the transition.

Our biggest challenge is storage. I'm pretty ruthless about what I acquire - these days it needs to have multiple uses or store very compactly, or it doesn't come through the door. The tiny house is made better by the nice backyard which we can use almost year-round thanks to the fairly good weather (hence the high cost of living).

We once rented a 1300 square foot house, and found it was almost too large for us. Our perfect house was the one we once had that was about 900 square feet of house on just over half an acre of versatile land. We miss it every day.

meupatdoes
Jul. 3, 2011, 12:53 PM
Haha, I rent a room in someone else's house for $300 a month.

Before that room I rented a room in someone's double-wide on their ranch. I joked that I rented a "wide."

My possessions, inclusive of horses and tack, fit into my Dodge Ram 2500 and 1990 Arndt two-horse.

The freedom is ...WONDERFUL.

cuatx55
Jul. 3, 2011, 01:03 PM
1400-ish sq ft 1937 house, 900sq ft garage so that really helps the storage issue!!!

Just two of us and one dog and one cat. It really forces one to keep down the clutter. Its very noticable in this place!

The bonus? Oh, sorry. I cant host thanksgiving....NO ROOM LOL.

This works for me, I like having a house that isn't like everyone elses'! I get a little down on the space at times, but when all is said and done I really like it.

cowgirljenn
Jul. 3, 2011, 01:23 PM
The first house we bought was about 1650 square feet. And I wanted my next house to be smaller (less cleaning!). Then we lived in the tiny travel trailer while that house was rebuilt and I dreamt of 5,000 square feet (so I could have SPACE!).

We sold the 1650 square foot house and moved to one that's around 1800 I think. I LOVED the layout of this house, I LOVED the pool and I LOVED the land so it was right for us.

If I didn't work from home and if DH didn't need to work from home so many evenings, I would want a smaller house. However this house allows us a guestroom (currently housing the Three Legged Kitten) and gives me my own office and DH his own office and place for all his guitars to live. I don't have to deal with guitars and mandolins all over my living room, so I really like that. :)

supaflyskye
Jul. 3, 2011, 01:27 PM
I live in a 650ish sq ft 1 bedroom apartment w/ my boyfriend and our dog. It can be a bit tight as far as storage goes. I've been keeping a lot of my stuff in my car for lack of a better place to put it. We just moved from a larger apartment a couple months ago, and we're not quite organised into the new place yet. Hopefully as we get more properly organised there will be more space made.

LauraKY
Jul. 3, 2011, 02:17 PM
Oddly enough, we had more usable room in our old 2000 sq. ft house than this 2600 sq ft house. This one is very poorly designed. Looks nice until you try to live in it.

We're stuck until the real estate market picks up...too many houses for sale, and I'm not will to take less than I owe.

mvp
Jul. 3, 2011, 03:00 PM
Haha, I rent a room in someone else's house for $300 a month.

Before that room I rented a room in someone's double-wide on their ranch. I joked that I rented a "wide."

My possessions, inclusive of horses and tack, fit into my Dodge Ram 2500 and 1990 Arndt two-horse.

The freedom is ...WONDERFUL.

That is awesome. I thought I lived lean. I can fit all my possessions (more than half horse stuff) in my F-350 and 2H DR BP. But the horse would have to walk.

In college, I could everything into a Honda-like hatchback.

It's amazing how little crap we really need. I look at my tack collection now and for the first time ever, I realize that can be thinned out, too.

Paring down my stuff even more is a goal of mine.

wendy
Jul. 3, 2011, 04:20 PM
I have a 1200 flat. Me and two big dogs. I spend 90% of my time in one particular room; the place has two walk in closets, two normal closets, and storage space in the utility room so no storage problems. I think HOW the place is setup inside makes more of difference than actual size- my flat is very efficiently laid out. I used to live in a house that was probably around 2500, but old and badly designed and it felt crampy and confined and had no storage space. My 1200 flat feels open and large and efficient.
No private yard, but 15+ acres of greenspace, woods, and trails shared by everyone (and someone else maintains! no mowing grass! no chopping up trees that fall down!).
Many of the people in the neighborhood have parents and two to three kids living in the same amount of space that I have and they don't seem to be suffering. I can't imagine trying to keep something 3000+ clean.

Gnalli
Jul. 3, 2011, 04:40 PM
I have a 1200 flat. Me and two big dogs. I spend 90% of my time in one particular room; the place has two walk in closets, two normal closets, and storage space in the utility room so no storage problems. I think HOW the place is setup inside makes more of difference than actual size- my flat is very efficiently laid out. I used to live in a house that was probably around 2500, but old and badly designed and it felt crampy and confined and had no storage space. My 1200 flat feels open and large and efficient.
No private yard, but 15+ acres of greenspace, woods, and trails shared by everyone (and someone else maintains! no mowing grass! no chopping up trees that fall down!).
Many of the people in the neighborhood have parents and two to three kids living in the same amount of space that I have and they don't seem to be suffering. I can't imagine trying to keep something 3000+ clean.

You make a really good point. A well laid out small home is better than a poorly laid out large home.

The favorite place I ever lived as far as the home itself was HUGE. However, it was designed for a family to live in it- a large family. I don't know how many square feet it was, but the master bedroom was 24x24 before the closets and his and her bath. The hallway-30 long-with closets on about 20' of it. It had 2 large bedrooms upstairs as well, a hardwood paneled library, a formal living room, formal dining, screened in porches, a huge foyer (we had 2 pianos in it and seating), kitchen with built in hutches-it was not fancy, but it was functional, an inlaw suite downstairs in the basement with a bath, living room, bedroom and kitchenette. It also had a large utility room, and a a fuse box room. It had to-there were 17 fuse boxes. The down side to this house----the heat didn't work and even when you though it was off, it was running, and we had a 1600 power bill one month...That was scary. I would still love to have that house. We had 8 people living in it and no one was ever on top of each other. 3 of those were small children. That house was the best laid out house of any house I have ever been in. Closets galore.

JSwan
Jul. 3, 2011, 05:28 PM
House is a one story ranch, hip roof, overhanging eaves. About 789sq ft.

We are almost finished renovating it in the Prairie Style. We knocked down interior walls, turning the living space into one large room. Couldn't do true clerestory windows, but we did redesign the windows, putting in longer, narrow ones. The result is a very small house with wonderful natural light, very warm colors, (color palette of Fallingwater) and low low low utility bills.

My barn is bigger than my house, and I like that just fine.

It's just two people here now, plus two dogs and two cats. But the original owners raised three children in this house.

Bugs-n-Frodo
Jul. 3, 2011, 06:04 PM
House is a one story ranch, hip roof, overhanging eaves. About 789sq ft.

We are almost finished renovating it in the Prairie Style. We knocked down interior walls, turning the living space into one large room. Couldn't do true clerestory windows, but we did redesign the windows, putting in longer, narrow ones. The result is a very small house with wonderful natural light, very warm colors, (color palette of Fallingwater) and low low low utility bills.

It's just two people here now, plus two dogs and two cats. But the original owners raised three children in this house.

This I have to see, any pictures? Sounds wonderful.

ReSomething
Jul. 3, 2011, 06:52 PM
We lived in an 1130sq ft two story. Two beds, two baths and the 1130 counted the stairs and the space under the stairs. It had lots of closets and "spaces" and I was amazed that the 1800 sq ft doublewide was such a joke in terms of storage space. I could easily block off one doorway and put in a kitchen in the dining "hallway" and I'd have a much more useable duplex - whoever said that a bad large floorplan is less use than a good small one is sooo right.

I do like that the living "hallway" is there though, we keep all the weights and the Gazelle lining the wall in there. But my years of taxes in file boxes had to go out in the shop - we had a little closet up against the roof in the second story of the old house and the dozen or so of them fit very nicely - not so in the big "hallways" in the doublewide. I've thought of shortening some of those rooms and putting closets at the ends but the forced air vents are at the ends so there is a little complication there too.
Oh well, really, reducing what we've got is probably the best thing to do.

iechris
Jul. 3, 2011, 07:16 PM
I'm in 1029 sq ft. 1930s house with a pretty good sized kitchen that was added in the 1950s. Storage space is an issue, small closets and no hall. Attic might be usable for storage, but the only access is a small hole in roof of one of the closets. Two people and 5 dogs and we are on about 1/4 acre just outside the city. I would like a real, usable and accessible attic so I could get rid of the storage space we rent. Another room might be nice, but I'd probably just fill it with stuff!

cowgirljenn
Jul. 3, 2011, 07:57 PM

When we built the first barn, my husband didn't realize how big it was going to be until we got home one weekend and much of the roof was up (we did work on that barn, but the contractor who rebuilt the house after the hurricane 'donated' some time to work on it as well). It looked so big that he calculated the square footage and groaned that the barn was bigger than the house. I told him that was AWESOME.

Someone said the design of the house makes a big difference, and that's SO true. This house is bigger than the last house but has fewer rooms - the rooms are bigger, and the layout is perfect. This has house almost no wasted space - only a tiny little hall to the back bedroom (my office) and laundry room. Everything is very open and roomy and light and I love it. I could live in a bigger house but have less usable space if the place wasn't laid out well. In fact, we looked at a much bigger house but the layout made it awkward and not very usable.

Cammie
Jul. 3, 2011, 09:08 PM
No house, but I live in a teeny-tiny bootleg studio apartment. Roughly 90 square feet. :D

Its like living on a boat, or in a small dorm room. I was in a 830 sq foot 2 bedroom apartment before (with a roommate), so I did have to downsize a bit before moving here. I like it a lot, although I do get tired of rearranging things around in order to make a meal. One course at a time here, no other way to do it! No oven, but a little 2 burner stove and a half-fridge. I don't miss having an oven at all really, although I'm not much of a cook so its not like I ever used it much before. Except for brownies and garlic bread- both of which I'm far better off avoiding anyway.

The bonus of my place, and the reason I moved here, is the patio. Its bigger than the apartment is. :lol: And being 1/2 block to the beach is awfully nice too.

CosMonster
Jul. 3, 2011, 09:16 PM
I have a teeny little glorified studio cabin thing that I built myself. It drives my partner nuts because he thinks we need at least 3 bedroom, but I think he just has too much crap. :lol: We'll probably get a bigger house if he ever stops being an OTR trucker, but if it were just me I'd live here forever. I believe in living as minimalist a lifestyle as possible (while still having horses which makes me a huge hypocrite, but oh well ;)).

It's just him and me for humans, no kids planned or anything, 3 blue heelers, 1 German Shepherd, and 2 cats. I don't know how many square feet my place is (I just built it on top of an existing concrete pad that I thought looked big enough :lol:) but we have a small bedroom area, a living area, a teeny kitchen that's really part of the living area, and a bathroom. The bathroom is the only part that is closed off.

Milocalwinnings
Jul. 3, 2011, 09:21 PM
Just under 2800 square ft.
4 bedrooms, 3.5 bath. 4 people living in the house.

Wanderluster
Jul. 3, 2011, 09:29 PM
3500 sq. ft. which is 2500 sq ft bigger than I need or live in. I have the house that comes with a big property in California.... 1 1/2 acres.
If I could imagine a perfect spot it would be for a house with a third the space for people and three times the space for horses. ;)

CVPeg
Jul. 4, 2011, 12:10 AM
Just under 3000 sq. ft., was a real deal, but not very practical. Ex DH & I had plans drawn for an addition, but now we're ex I can't do the addition, and the area would hardly support an overdone house.

Looks like a house but originally was a store (ski, & mountain bike shop) on 97 hilly acres.:cool: Owners apartment up, and store down. We use the whole place as a home and the downstairs is pretty wide open. Have the dining room furniture down, and with the kitchen still up, makes it interesting on holidays! :winkgrin: Original owners came up from the city, and thought they didn't need a basement so only built a crawl space!:( First, it's bad enough that there's no place to throw all the junk. Then, even though they are few and far between, I hate tornado warnings! Can grab the cat, but can't drag the Irish Wolfhound into the crawl space.:no: We have to squeeze into the half bath under the stairs.

Also original owner ski/bike couple must have really pared down - only ONE closet when we moved in!:eek: Tiny bedrooms upstairs. At least I have 2 & 1/2 baths. (SO has a tiny place on the water in Maine, but refuses to fix it up - including the crummy bath, so I love my baths!)

Of course never got a barn built either, although I've kept up the fields. Putting it on the market to find a more appropriate place whenever it hopefully happens. At least there's good equity in the place as we got it from the bank years ago. And it's really built well - low utilities, alas no high speed internet. :sadsmile:

The best thing? The views! Fellow who bought the 200 acres across from me has done an outstanding job developing his land - ponds, trees, and a meticulous farmer leasing. I could look out my window all day... And when we hike up the hill behind the house, we can see for miles - it's like the Sound of Music...:yes:
The weird thing is, the first couple of years we were here, we had gorgeous sunrises and rainbows all the time. Not so much anymore - anyone else have this happen?:confused:

ohrebecca
Jul. 4, 2011, 12:11 AM
I'm just a renter, and I have a 65 lb dog. My house is around 600 sq.ft. I think it literally qualifies as a doll-house.

Jul. 4, 2011, 01:22 AM
I live in a tiny 2 room <1000 sf bungalo but it was built well and it's less to clean.

God can hit this house with a 9.5 earthquake and I will wager it might be at worst crooked but it will still be standing - it was built that well.
Can't trust the newer larger houses to do the same.

JMHO

Punkie
Jul. 4, 2011, 02:53 AM
The house that I grew up in was...very, very large. Two full, formal dining rooms, two sitting rooms, a media room...that kind of large. I'm an only child and my parents were rarely home. It was a LOT of house. Thankfully, we had a lot of help :lol:

My new house is a tidy 1,200 sf. Two bedrooms, two full baths, a really neat gally kitchen with a laundry room attached and a bumped out breakfast nook, a decently sized master bedroom, and a nice "great room" that serves as my combined living room and dining room. My favorite part about it though, is that my closet in the master bedroom is almost 3 times the size of my closet in my family's house. That's a REALLY big closet for a really little home!

I am planning on a 800-1,000 sf addition in the very near future; I'd like a master suite with an office, a sitting area and a proper bathroom (WC, dual sinks, whirlpool tub, and a glass shower with multiple shower heads) because I am not loving this whole small bathroom thing, but I'm waiting until my barn is done before moving on to the next project. Anything bigger than 2,500 sf would be a little too much for just me, but with the addition I think my house will be just right :)

nightsong
Jul. 4, 2011, 03:21 AM
People think they "need" 2,500 + s.f. houses, so big that it takes 30 years to pay for them. What happened to the days of getting only what you can afford?

In the 1950s, the average size of a new house was HALF what the average new house today is. And families are smaller now (fewer kids), with households much smaller still, as we have more single people and single-parent families, more people living alone, and far fewer "extra" family members, like grandma, brothers and sisters, and unmarried women of any age living with families.

jetsmom
Jul. 4, 2011, 03:31 AM
Just sold our 3667 sf home...5 bdm/3 ba. Just put a contract on a 3100 sf new home. My DH and I and 3 dogs live here. We use the mstr bedrm for us, 2 guest bedrooms, one bdm for an office and one bdm for a weight rm. I often have my mom and brother come visit, so I use the 2 guest bdms. This Christmas we are having a family reunion here, so we'll be using the exercise rm with the futon as well.

The perfect house size for us is around 3000 sf. I had one that was about 4300 sf and it was too large.

We sell our home every 2 yrs so I try to buy something that I can sell easily. It seems that homes here less than 2700 sf don't sell as quickly because there are more of them on the market.

alabama
Jul. 4, 2011, 01:48 PM
My house is 2500 plus (I suck at calculating sq), 4 bedrooms, three full and one 1/2 bath. It's way more house than one person and a bunch of cats need but I like it anyway.

A lot of the house is closed off so the cats don't get in and hair it up. One of the bedrooms and one side of the walk-in attic is used for my SO who will probably move in at some point.

I do spend most of my time in just a couple of rooms but I love the fact that house is older. The rooms aren't the tiny 12'x12' that you get in current construction. I could probably put two king sized beds in my master bedroom. :)

At some point down the road, I MIGHT sell this house but good grief, moving a farm is a pain in the a$$. I don't want to do it again anytime in the near future.