PDA

View Full Version : Groton House Summer Classic

zab419
Jun. 12, 2011, 10:29 AM
This is my first event coming from hunter/jumper land.... I just have a couple of questions. Should I braid for dressage? and, What can I expect on the BN xc course? is there a mandatory water crossing?

OTTB FTW
Jun. 12, 2011, 10:46 AM
Not sure what they are up to with the course this year. Last year they used the X-country course, with some smaller portables, and did have a water crossing, no jump in or out of it. They placed it at the end of the course last fall, and had you cross through the middle of banks in the water on either side, so you had a nice shoot. You crossed it facing back to all the horses and people which made it easier as well. The jumps were all very inviting, sited well. Many of the portables have a shorter face, 10ft maybe, didn't really pay much attention, they jumped well.
It is a very laid back atmosphere, you don't have to braid if your horses mane is short, neat and tidy, but it wouldn't hurt to look the part. My guess is some people will braid, and some won't again.
They may run Stadium right before XC and have you do Stadium in your XC gear. The dressage is in a very large field, the Stadium may be in a ring again, and the XC runs through mostly rolling terrain in fields, with a bit in the woods. You will probably have the ditch in XC. Jumps are often part of a long fence line with higher jumps on the sides, so inviting from that respect as there is less run out options and you will be jumping at the easiest spot. Its a great first time out IMO, you will have fun.

wookiee
Jun. 12, 2011, 10:52 AM
The Groton House Summer Classic is a great outing, with a lot of the formal feel of a recognized, in a more approachable package. The XC course is on par with recognized courses in that the jumps are nice and solid, but wide and inviting. They usually are decorated modestly, but still look formal.

Most people do braid for dressage and as mentioned above, you will go to XC right out of stadium. The course rides very well and it a nice "test" to see if you are ready for recognized. In other words, the BN course is a BN course and not some logs on the ground or 2' portable coops. There is nothing trappy or tight or unfair, though. Just a really nice course.

There is a water crossing, but it's very well bounded so a nice pass through as mentioned above. There is also a ditch, but shallow and narrow, my horse didn't even notice it last year, I don't think it caused too many problems.

It's one of my favorite shows. All the Groton House goodness with a schooling show price tag.

Catie79
Jun. 13, 2011, 12:36 PM
I did this show last year and had a blast. Nice footing, nice fences, it felt very much like a recognized show. I braided and dressed up for dressage and felt very appropriate. XC gear for stadium, since you go right to XC afterward. It doesn't feel at all watered down, you feel like you're doing a real BN course.

You'll have some terrain, such as going up and down hill, but since the XC wasn't timed, I trotted anywhere I wanted to and even walked one section when my pony wasn't feeling particularly brave. Fabulous outing, I'm sure you'll have a great time. I remember a shallow water crossing, with a ramp in and out, and a baby ditch that my horse ignored so much he stepped in it. I also remember popping out of the trees to canter across a big rolling field and having an amazing time.

quietann
Jun. 13, 2011, 01:03 PM
I volunteered as a jump judge last year, and attempted to show (dressage only) in 2009 but maresy lost her brains and I couldn't find them anywhere.

Anyway, I would say that for an unrecognized event, this one is a bit more formal than many of the others held in the area (e.g. Green Acres). After all (as someone said on a similar thread last year), it's Groton House, the tradition of decades. So braid if you can... but don't stress if you can't.

The X/C course was "real" as everyone has been saying. It was probably a bit longer than a typical unrecognized BN, because, well, GH has the space! The jumps I judged were fairly simple -- a white picket fence with a somewhat short approach after a tight turn through a line of trees, followed about 6 strides later by a coop -- but there was an open panel gate right next to the first jump and a few horses could not take their focus off the scary gate, and flubbed the jump. I would definitely walk the course and take note of stuff like this!

(From a volunteer's perspective, if you are walking the course or otherwise out there while horses are going, please, please pay attention to the judges and Get. Out. Of. The. Way. when the whistle is blown. We had a trainer with two students walking the BN course during the Elementary X/C, and the trainer and her students were incredibly rude about this. They seemed to think that because they couldn't *see* anyone oncoming, they didn't need to move, but the tight turn and the trees just before our jump meant you could have a pony on top of you very quickly!)

Daatje
Jun. 13, 2011, 03:03 PM
I did the Summer Classic in 2009 on a borrowed horse and it was a blast! (borrowed because my horse was and still is too much of a weenie to go XC by herself, damnit mare.)

Here's some Stadium shots:
http://daatje2009.webs.com/IMG013.JPG
http://daatje2009.webs.com/IMG011.JPG

And some of the XC course:

Fence one
http://daatje2009.webs.com/IMG006.JPG
Fence two
http://daatje2009.webs.com/IMG005.JPG
The water
http://daatje2009.webs.com/IMG004.JPG
A roll top
http://daatje2009.webs.com/IMG002.JPG

2009 was a cold, windy, rainy event! But fun all the same. Imagine how much fun it would be on a nice day!

cranky
Jun. 13, 2011, 09:59 PM
That's so funny, I don't remember a ditch at all on the BN course last year. I do remember the "water though". It was mostly just a bit of a puddle when I went through.

cranky
Jun. 13, 2011, 10:02 PM
Daatje,

That 2009 year was a brutal day! Thanks for the pictures (and the memories).

quietann
Jun. 13, 2011, 10:06 PM
Daatje,

That 2009 year was a brutal day! Thanks for the pictures (and the memories).

It was horrid. That was supposed to be our second show; it was mid-June and so cold, windy, and rainy. If anyone saw the beautiful palomino mare in the dressage warm-up who was yelling her head off, rearing, kicking out, spooking, spinning and just being an idiot while her obviously terrified timid middle aged rerider hung on for dear life... that was us :eek::eek::eek:. I was so envious of all the cute kids on packer ponies!

ETA: the weather for this weekend looks reasonable: partly cloudy with temps in the mid 60s to mid 70s.

Daatje
Jun. 14, 2011, 08:12 AM
You're welcome Cranky! :) Hey, I just went to your blog.....Daatje and I are in the photo on your hunt post! :) If you're on the red and white, we're the horse right behind you in the picture. :) Too funny. I didn't know you hunted with us that day. :)

wookiee
Jun. 14, 2011, 09:00 AM
You're welcome Cranky! :) Hey, I just went to your blog.....Daatje and I are in the photo on your hunt post! :) If you're on the red and white, we're the horse right behind you in the picture. :) Too funny. I didn't know you hunted with us that day. :)

And I am on the high-stepping Percheron two horses ahead.

Small, small world.

I will see you all at the classic this weekend, riding above high-stepping Percheron. Hopefully the weekend will be on the cooler side. 2009 sounds horrid for you, but my horse would LOVE that type of weather! Really put a spring in his step!

Lisa Cook
Jun. 14, 2011, 09:13 AM
That's so funny, I don't remember a ditch at all on the BN course last year. I do remember the "water though". It was mostly just a bit of a puddle when I went through.

There was definitely a small ditch on the fall classic BN course. I didn't do the summer schooling event, though. Love GHFs events - schooling or recognized. :)

cranky
Jun. 14, 2011, 10:13 PM
It was horrid. That was supposed to be our second show; it was mid-June and so cold, windy, and rainy. If anyone saw the beautiful palomino mare in the dressage warm-up who was yelling her head off, rearing, kicking out, spooking, spinning and just being an idiot while her obviously terrified timid middle aged rerider hung on for dear life... that was us :eek::eek::eek:. I was so envious of all the cute kids on packer ponies!

ETA: the weather for this weekend looks reasonable: partly cloudy with temps in the mid 60s to mid 70s.

OMG, were you riding MY horse? She bucked and leaped and spun and bolted her way through that entire day. We finally gave up on any kind of warm-up for Stadium and just did tiny circles until it was time to go into the ring. I guess she was protesting having to compete in a Nor'easter. I was about 9 months back riding after an absence of many, many years so I really don't know how I stayed on during all that, but somehow we both survived that day and have had many successful outings since then. I had only had Ruby for a month or so at that point, so I was really worried about the future of our partnership that day! Luckily everything has only gotten better from there.

cranky
Jun. 14, 2011, 10:16 PM
Originally Posted by Daatje
You're welcome Cranky! Hey, I just went to your blog.....Daatje and I are in the photo on your hunt post! If you're on the red and white, we're the horse right behind you in the picture. Too funny. I didn't know you hunted with us that day.

And I am on the high-stepping Percheron two horses ahead.

Small, small world.

I will see you all at the classic this weekend, riding above high-stepping Percheron. Hopefully the weekend will be on the cooler side. 2009 sounds horrid for you, but my horse would LOVE that type of weather! Really put a spring in his step!

That is so funny! That was my first (and, so far, only) hunt. I could not believe how much fun it was! No hilltopping for us, we had to start right in the thick of things. So much fun. I hope that I have a chance to go again this year.

sch1star
Jun. 15, 2011, 04:07 AM
Love this event! Who else is going this year? I just started my 5th month of pregnancy and am very grudgingly sitting out the season. My husband is non horsey and I'm thinking it'd be super if he could just pitch in on the incubating thing so I can get back on my horses!

However I will be there working with some kids who are very excited. Good luck to those competing and thank you to the officials and volunteers!

And to the OP, yes, I would braid! Makes it all so much more fun!

zab419
Jun. 15, 2011, 08:43 PM
braided it is then! we need all the brownie points we can get anyways :) little tb tends to be a giraffe at shows haha, so not a dressage horse....

cranky
Jun. 19, 2011, 06:45 PM
Well, it looks like two years of weather penance paid off, we could not have had a better day for the GH Summer Classic! I hope the OP and everyone else had a great day, I know that I did.

Thanks to the organizers and all the volunteers for helping to make the day a success.

Joan from Flatlands
Jun. 19, 2011, 07:40 PM
Totally agree w Cranky! All photos downloaded and the naming has begun! Look for your proofs to be posted middle of the week!

Joan from Flatlandsfoto

zab419
Jun. 19, 2011, 08:51 PM
it was such a nice day! unfortunately my little horse would. not. go. through the water haha. ah well, elementary it is next time

wookiee
Jun. 19, 2011, 09:20 PM
A fantastic day, thanks to all the volunteers and GHF and Flatlands. Very much looking forward to the proofs, I aim to get a couple!

Sorry the water was a problem. Coming off the steep downhill, it gives some horses pause. They also added a little upbank which we hadn't done before. FUN!

cranky
Jun. 19, 2011, 09:34 PM
it was such a nice day! unfortunately my little horse would. not. go. through the water haha. ah well, elementary it is next time

I suspect the water might have been an issue for a few people. Even my horse, who does not have a problem with water, was snorting her way through there.