PDA

View Full Version : length of tail

equinedriver
Jun. 11, 2011, 10:33 AM
I was surprised to see that Loughan Glen who has a really lovely really thick tail has it cut so short. Not meaning to be snotty or anything, I just am surprised it's not banged at least 3 or 4" longer. A lot of the time it is only hanging very slightly below his hocks, and is really kind of a distraction to me because it's so short. Obviously, they must know more than I do, but I keep my horse, which also has a VERY thick tail, cut just above his ankles, and when moving it is about half way down the cannon bone. Is there a an unwritten rule I am not aware of?

I saw a jumper on TV one time that came in with a really thick tail cut literally at hock length. I was like WTH? until it went over the first huge jump. The horse flipped it's tail absolutely directly over it's back and the tail was cut to the length that just brushed the back of the riders helmet LOL.

Napoles
Jun. 11, 2011, 10:49 AM
I hate long tails - all of mine hang just below the hocks when the horses are moving. :)
I think an over long taill makes the whole hind end look like it's trailing. :D

SuZQuzie
Jun. 11, 2011, 02:28 PM
A shorter tail makes a horse look more compact and sporty.

besum1
Jun. 11, 2011, 03:06 PM
I agree with you equine driver- long thick tails are gorgeous and I feel like when they get banged to short the horse looks kinda nerdy and unbalanced- especially if it's a bigger horse with a heavier front end

I was always told bang at the fetlock so it'll be somewhere around mid cannon when they move- just like how you do it- I cut my pony's tail a little bit shorter recently (he has a fab thick curly tail!) only b/c he's being eaten by ticks and the shorter tail is to help prevent "grab on's" It actually looks pretty good but it's nowhere near his hock!

But in Loughan Glen's defense he doesn't look that bad- I've seen way worse!!!

But I guess it's a style thing- some like it short, other's like it long and I think this argument will never be resolved!!! hahaha (though I'd KILL someone if they touched my horse's tail!!!!! ;))

kookicat
Jun. 11, 2011, 04:08 PM
I don't like too long tails. It's just more hair to get tangled, broken or muddy. My two's tails are banged just under their hocks. :)

flyracing
Jun. 11, 2011, 04:25 PM
I'm guessing you are looking at the COTH photos? If so, you will see due to the angle the photos are mostly taken at, that horse has one of the longest tails :lol:

That horse and all other other horses (in the photos) don't really have tails banged right below the hock. I have actually worked for Clark and know he wants the tails 1" above the fetlock. It the movement, angles, ect. And for what it is worth, in Europe the style is a shorter tail than in the US.

deltawave
Jun. 11, 2011, 05:50 PM
Owner gets to choose. :)

I like them about halfway between hock and fetlock.

equinedriver
Jun. 11, 2011, 06:33 PM
I'm guessing you are looking at the COTH photos? If so, you will see due to the angle the photos are mostly taken at, that horse has one of the longest tails :lol:

That horse and all other other horses (in the photos) don't really have tails banged right below the hock. I have actually worked for Clark and know he wants the tails 1" above the fetlock. It the movement, angles, ect. And for what it is worth, in Europe the style is a shorter tail than in the US.

No I watched the video on EN

goeslikestink
Jun. 11, 2011, 06:39 PM
Owner gets to choose. :)

I like them about halfway between hock and fetlock.

snap long enough to swat the fly short enough not be all tangled and full of mud be that winter or in summer and easier to clean

bornfreenowexpensive
Jun. 11, 2011, 06:49 PM
Just below the hock when carried is the correct length of a banged tail--coming from english fox hunters. Most of us (myself included) do not cut them short enough. You have to be able to cut them straight to cut them that length;)

KateWooten
Jun. 11, 2011, 07:29 PM
Tiny's drags on the ground. Mind you, that's not very far.

pegasusmom
Jun. 11, 2011, 08:53 PM
We do ours halfway between hock and fetlock, even the driving pony. I find drivers seem to like a longer tail.

retreadeventer
Jun. 11, 2011, 09:08 PM
I am both ways on the tails thing. I do cut a little shorter in winter for hunting, but I think a dressage horse needs a longer one than a jumping horse just for balance. I think it sort of depends on the horse's conformation behind, but a lovely thick shiny tail always makes a horse look well cared for and loved, I think, no matter what the length. And a straight cut means you have good help. :)

OTTB FTW
Jun. 11, 2011, 10:06 PM
IMO, shorter tends to look thicker for those less than lovely tails.
I pick the length depending on how the horse carries the tail, the hind end conformation, and the quality of the tail itself at the time of cutting. Usually so that it is carried in movement anywhere from below the hock to the fetlock, generally closer to fetlock.

oldhorsegirl
Jun. 11, 2011, 10:54 PM
Tiny's drags on the ground. Mind you, that's not very far.

Just an FYI on that--Chiropractors will tell you that that is dangerous--if the pony steps back quickly--especially in a deeply bedded stall or deep footing--he can step on his tail, and potentially injure his spine (and, at the very least, take out some of that lovely tail!)

oldhorsegirl
Jun. 11, 2011, 10:55 PM
Just below the hock when carried is the correct length of a banged tail--coming from english fox hunters. Most of us (myself included) do not cut them short enough. You have to be able to cut them straight to cut them that length;)

Yup!

Bobthehorse
Jun. 12, 2011, 12:29 AM
I have always had thinner tails, so I bang pretty short compared to most. Though I noticed more shorter tails at Badminton. I think its a shape I look for rather than a specific length, and the shape will depend on the thickness of the tail and how the horse carries it.

Xanthoria
Jun. 12, 2011, 02:45 AM
In the UK we were always taught 6" below point of hock when in motion (trim with arm under dock). Looks more polished and sporty, and stays cleaner.

(Can't stand the scraggly hunter tails in the US - beautiful braid up top, wispy, broken ends below!?!)

kkindley
Jun. 12, 2011, 07:03 AM
I remember the old pony club books taught to bang it to hock length. My SO's old retired pony has his tail banged to that length to keep it cleaner, etc. Now my TB mare her hers banged just abover her fetlocks. May go a bit shorter, but not a lot. It's a bit thin at the bottom, and there is a lot growing down so trying to get that caught up.

DLee
Jun. 12, 2011, 08:56 AM
Zenyatta's tail really pained me. I swear by the end of the year there were about ten long straggly hairs that made up the 'length'. I was dying for someone to shape it or something!

OTTB FTW
Jun. 12, 2011, 10:37 AM
Zenyatta's tail really pained me. I swear by the end of the year there were about ten long straggly hairs that made up the 'length'. I was dying for someone to shape it or something!

YES! They could have at least just banged away those few long strands lol.

Horses tails sometimes get shut in the starting gate and tear out when they take off. I had one that lost all tail hairs from dock down. Online the video showed her take off from gate and fall to her knees. She got up and raced with basically no tail, as compared to the race before. :no: Hopefully Zenyatta's was just brushed with no product, or pulled out a few strands at a time. :(

katie+tru
Jun. 12, 2011, 03:12 PM
My trainer started her career in Arabs... so her love for tails is quite great. Personally, I like tails banged to mid-fetlock. Trainer likes them banged just enough that they are not touching the ground when the horse is moving. If the tail touches the ground when the horse is standing, so be it. She doesn't like the picture of a dressage horse with a short tail.

The Appaloosa Sporthorse I am currently riding has a massively thick tail that touches the ground when he is standing. It doesn't get gross or anything and he won't keep wraps on for very long so I just leave it alone. However, when he moves it's well off the ground. I'd cut a couple inches off, personally, but he's not mine so I don't have that liberty.