PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone know anything about Working Equitation?

Coldsnap
Jun. 10, 2011, 11:28 PM
I found some videos online about Working Equitation and was wondering if anyone knows anything more about it? It looks like it has a dressage section and something called ease of handling and speed. I found a website called working equitation usa which talked a little about it but I am not really sure how it works, and wanted to know if anyone else has some insight.

Thanks!:)

katie+tru
Jun. 10, 2011, 11:37 PM
Do you mean the Spanish doma vaquero stuff?

Coldsnap
Jun. 11, 2011, 01:15 AM
No, this sounded more like dressage with obstacles.

nomeolvides
Jun. 11, 2011, 07:45 AM
I love watching Working Equitation videos on youtube! In international competitions there is a cattle penning section aswell. There is an obstacle section judged on style, and then judged on speed.

pluvinel
Jun. 11, 2011, 01:36 PM
Do you mean the Spanish doma vaquero stuff?
Nope....Please, please DO NOT confuse doma vaquera with working equitation.

Working equitation is an equestrian discipline started in the early 1990's by 4 European countries with working cow horses in their equestrian history....Portugal, Spain, France and Italy. It has now spread world-wide and the US has an affiliation with USEF. It consists of:
(1) Dressage phase
(2) Obstacle phase (Ease of Handling)
(3) Speed phase
(4) Cow phase (for team competitions, like team penning)
It is intended to showcase a horse's "usability" by duplicating requirements of a working horse in a competition structure.

I used to train with Bento Castelhano when he was coming to the US. He is the 1998, European individual and team champion, former Coach of the Brazilian and Portuguese National teams and now Technical Director of Yeguada La Lira y La W.
http://www.lirayw.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=61&Itemid=68&lang=en

http://www.equitationdetravail.com/#/bento-castelhano-cavalier/3739302

We are trying to grow the discipline in the US. If you are interested contact
http://www.workingequitationusa.com/

There will be a WE competition at the ERAHC Show at VA Horse Center in Sept.

Petstorejunkie
Jun. 11, 2011, 02:45 PM
Nope....Please, please DO NOT confuse doma vaquera with working equitation.

is the only difference the organization? Because a little youtube of both terms comes up with horses being ridden basically the same.... even in the similar attire. :confused:

pluvinel
Jun. 11, 2011, 03:31 PM
is the only difference the organization? Because a little youtube of both terms comes up with horses being ridden basically the same.... even in the similar attire. :confused:
Nope, not even close.

Doma vaquera competitions have their own patterns and requirements. I'm not going to go into details. You can read the requirements on line or watch videos of doma vaquera. It is NOT working equitation. Doma vaquera is its own separate discipline.

The tack and attire of Working Equitation allows the "native tack" of the country of origin, that would be Spanish tack for riders riding for Spain (or on Spanish/PRE/Andalusian horses), Portuguese tack for riders riding for Portugal (or Portugues/Lusitano horses), Western tack for breeds typically used in US cow work (quarter horses), and "English" tack (eg., dressage or all-purpose saddle) for any breeds hailing from English traditions (TB, arab, Morgan, etc).

Petstorejunkie
Jun. 11, 2011, 03:52 PM
patterns are different... got it.
is there anything different to the overall balance of the horse? Like for instance you can tell the difference between a WP horse, a hunter, and a dressage horse. Are there distinguishing characteristics between vaquero and working equitation... or is it more of a "all vaquero could compete in working equitation, but not all working equitation could compete in vaquero" kind of thing.

I read about working equitation a few months back and thought it looked like helluva fun! I have a polo pony converted to dressage and it seems like it takes the strengths of both.

pluvinel
Jun. 11, 2011, 04:05 PM
patterns are different... got it.
is there anything different to the overall balance of the horse? Like for instance you can tell the difference between a WP horse, a hunter, and a dressage horse. Are there distinguishing characteristics between vaquero and working equitation... or is it more of a "all vaquero could compete in working equitation, but not all working equitation could compete in vaquero" kind of thing.

I read about working equitation a few months back and thought it looked like helluva fun! I have a polo pony converted to dressage and it seems like it takes the strengths of both.

Not quite exactly ONLY different in patterns.....

However, both DV and WE seek to highlight the features of a working or "using" horse....as opposed to a horse that is judged by some stylized subjective features.

WE specifically tests the skills of a "using (work) horse" typically found in "judged trail class" eg., opening gates, going over bridges. It has a standard dressage phase and a speed over obstacles phase that includes a jump. This is VEEERRRRYYYYY different than Doma Vaquera. Please note that the team competition has a phase that includes team penning.

Perhaps reading the WE web site can answer your questions.

BohemianRN
Jun. 16, 2011, 09:27 AM
pluvinel described it well. I just had to put my 2 cents in that it is one of the coolest things to watch. Also, I would so love to try it!!

rockonxox
Jun. 17, 2011, 02:29 PM
I wish they had events closer to the Midwest because this looks like fun to go watch. Too bad I don't still ride at Mt. Holyoke, glad they are participating in it though!

kmroosa
Jun. 16, 2013, 09:25 AM
I'm fascinated by what little I know about doma clasica, doma vaquera, working equitation, rejoneo, garrocha...

I may have an opportunity to travel the world studying horsemanship in the context of culture and I would like to spend about three months in Spain and/or Portugal. I'm a competent rider with background in recreational hunters, eventing, dressage, teaching, barn management and horse care.

Does anyone have any ideas for places or people in Spain and/or Portugal where I could live and learn in this tradition? I'll need to work with a very limited budget, so I would hope to find a homestay situation. I don't speak Spanish or Portuguese (though if plans work out, I will study the languages) so I've been having trouble searching the internet for possibilities.

Thank you!

Equibrit
Jun. 17, 2013, 07:18 PM
http://www.wawe-official.com/

http://www.usawea.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Working-Equitation-Colorado-LLC/551796014841479

http://workingequitationusa.com/

Equibrit
Jun. 17, 2013, 08:38 PM
pluvinel
Do you know anything about all the Facebook stuff, ie Working Equitation Georgia LLC; W*E* Colorado LLC; W*E* Oregon LLC; W*E* Texas LLC etc.etc.

They say they are legit organizations, but do not appear in SOS records for the various States, nor do those organizations appear to actually exist anywhere.

CapitolDesign
Jun. 18, 2013, 08:28 PM
We have an article about working equitation in the August issue of Dressage Today - perhaps it can help answer your questions.

lorilu
Jun. 18, 2013, 10:28 PM
WE is great! There are competitions here in FL, and a few friends are really involved. There are even virtual competitions!! Check out the website. Our GMO even had a clinic last year. I had a blast. I really like how dressage principles are stressed in all the phases...... one of the major organizers of the WEUSA group is a USDF judge and was a very popular clinician before she retired from it.

L

Foxtrot's
Jun. 21, 2013, 02:54 PM
While they say it is open to all breeds, does the Spanish/baroque horse prevail?

Still do not get the difference...any sites that show videos to compare?

lorilu
Jun. 21, 2013, 10:38 PM
Around here, all horses compete. Saddlery and attire is very open - any recognized style is OK. I have seen dressage tack, western tack, H/J, eventers.... and even some traditional Iberian styles. It's very welcoming and inclusive, altho as usual, good gaits are important!

Equibrit
Jun. 22, 2013, 12:17 PM
Still do not get the difference...any sites that show videos to compare?

That's what GOOGLE is for.

Foxtrot's
Jun. 22, 2013, 12:30 PM
YOU are our master Googler.

lorilu
Jun. 22, 2013, 06:16 PM
Try the WEUSA site. I think they have links

Countrywood
Jun. 22, 2013, 07:00 PM
how cool, sounds like fun ! And a place for morgans, QH, other breeds to shine!