PDA

View Full Version : Going to Burghley

LAZ
Jun. 10, 2011, 10:18 PM
A buddy of mine and I are flying across the pond for Burghley (don't hate us, I haven't been on vacation for years other than helping at horse shows)...

Anyone have any suggestions on accomodations? We're more the cheaper accomodation type of people--figure we're only going to be there to sleep and shower.

We're going over a little early & sightseeing up around the York area so any suggestions anyone has between York & the Stamford area would also be appreciated!

vineyridge
Jun. 11, 2011, 12:44 AM
Lincoln, Boston, Grantham and the Angel Inn and Royal Hotel ( http://www.angelandroyal.co.uk/ ), Peterborough, Spalding for bulbs, Melton Mowbray for the most famous of all English hunting country. They have tarted the Angel Inn up a lot, but it's an old coaching inn that is supposed to be the oldest in England. I don't know if you can still find rooms above pubs, but if you don't mind shared baths, you used to be able to find cheap lodgings in historic pubs.

If you're a fan of Katharine Swynford, Kettlethorpe Hall is on the way to York, and the Dukeries isn't too far off your route. You could also make a pilgrimage to the one Oak left in Sherwood Forest near Nottingham, and I seem to recall that Byron's home Newstead Abbey is also near Notts. It's INTERESTING, very interesting. Got a 20th century Japanese Garden, ruins of the Abbey, and the monument to his dog.

Beverly is also on the way toward York, I think. Worth a stop to see the Minster.

JFS
Jun. 12, 2011, 07:54 PM
Excited for you LAZ!!!

Jackie

Janet
Jun. 12, 2011, 08:04 PM
You might want to see the collection of ceremonial horse shoes at the castle in Oakham.

JennieRose
Jun. 13, 2011, 03:15 AM
Oooh, if you're in York, and you like really good food (and are a tad adventurous about it) you might want to try "J Baker's Bistro". I take TONS of people there when they come visit (I love the food there.) http://www.jbakers.co.uk/
The York Minster is gorgeous and the Shambles is fun to wander around as well. If you like slightly-hokey ancient history exhibits, the Jorvik Viking Centre is absolutely hilarious.

I'll be at Burghley as well! For at least dressage and XC. Don't forget to leave room in your suitcase for some of the tempting stuff they have on sale at the trade fair. We're probably going to camp, I think. Although the weather we are having is making all of us re-think that idea!

riderboy
Jun. 13, 2011, 07:19 AM
Don't be jeaous? Yeah right! :D We went to Badminton a few years ago and if the trade fair at Burghley is anything like it, take lots of money! Have fun. you are going to have a blast.

Clear Blue
Jul. 1, 2011, 07:15 PM
How does one get around/or to and from the BHT if one is staying at a Bed and Breakfast?

FairWeather
Jul. 3, 2011, 10:53 AM
Renting a car is your easiest bet. The train at Stamford is a bit of a hike, but you are dealing with trains, and train schedules.
Re: housing, it's a bit tough finding cheap accommodations right now. Stamford is out, but there are options in Peterborough and beyond. Last time I was there I stayed at the Park Inn which was perfectly nice.
I did find space at La Rosalia and won't be using it. No idea what it is like, but it is in Peterborough.

Prepare to shop, and prepare to get wet :)

Doodlebug1
Jul. 3, 2011, 11:17 AM
premierinn.com, holidayinnexpress.com, travelodge.co.uk are all cheap and basic but clean. They are characterless but a lot of stuff around Burghley is either booked from year to year or it's super expensive.

The journey to Burghley is best by car and it's very easy as you're generally just crawling along behind the car in front :)

atheventer85
Jul. 3, 2011, 10:08 PM
From the looks of it, this year's Burghely is going to be great on the North American front, with 4 Canadians, and a possible 10+ US riders. Have fun! I'm jealous!

Clear Blue
Jul. 4, 2011, 02:57 PM
The journey to Burghley is best by car and it's very easy as you're generally just crawling along behind the car in front :)

Driving on the wrong side of the road might make it a little more exciting for us!

Wits End Eventing
Jul. 4, 2011, 06:42 PM
We are hoping that our horse Reggie (Rafferty's Rules) will be doing his first CCI**** there with the wonderful Sharon White (http://www.lastfrontierfarm.com) if the equine gods are good to us... My husband, Dale, and I are planning to go so please look us up there! Pics of Reg 'cause he so cute, and I fully admit to being a biased, obnoxious mother....:yes:

WW_Queen
Jul. 28, 2011, 12:48 PM
Bumping this thread! I am looking forward to attending Burghley for the first time as well.

We are doing the train thing and staying at a B&B very close to the event. I considered driving but I think the wrong side of the road thing will screw me up. :D I am fairly sure the B&B owner said something about a daily shuttle but I have no additional info at this point (need to look into that).

Also, what to expect re: weather? I figured it makes sense to be prepared with some type of rain gear, but will it be humid/warm or cool? Convinced the hubby I need a pair of Dubarry's to stay dry.... heading off to Ireland this weekend, am planning on getting a pair straight from the source. ;)

Creaghgal
Jul. 28, 2011, 01:00 PM
Convinced the hubby I need a pair of Dubarry's to stay dry.... heading off to Ireland this weekend, am planning on getting a pair straight from the source. ;)

The Dubarry outlet store is in Ballinasloe, Co. Galway if you happened to be going by. :) I managed to save a ton when I was there in May.

clm08
Jul. 28, 2011, 01:01 PM
So for those of us who don't own a pair of Dubarry's, any other recommendation for footwear? Looking forward to all kinds of tips from the more experienced, this is my first trip to Burghley.

clm08
Jul. 28, 2011, 01:02 PM
The Dubarry outlet store is in Ballinasloe, Co. Galway if you happened to be going by. :) I managed to save a ton when I was there in May.

Where is Ballinasloe in relation to Peterborough?

Edit: Never mind, I am not going to be in Ireland...

Backstage
Jul. 28, 2011, 05:53 PM
So for those of us who don't own a pair of Dubarry's, any other recommendation for footwear? Looking forward to all kinds of tips from the more experienced, this is my first trip to Burghley.

My approach to Burghley in 2007 was pretty simple - light weight hiking shoes. That said, it wasn't pouring and I know that I can cope with some dampness in the morning as long as it doesn't rain all day and I dry out. I'll probably take the same approach this year, though I may actually end up picking up some ankle/mid-calf rain resistant footwear *just in case*. Of course, I was in the horrible rain at Rolex in 2005 in a pair of running shoes and didn't consider heading back to the hotel early at any point!

Reynard Ridge
Jul. 29, 2011, 09:59 AM
Driving on the wrong side of the road might make it a little more exciting for us!

I think in the case, the appropriate opposite for "right" is "left." :lol:

I am *thinking* about going; although I *thought* about going to Badminton this spring and didn't manage that. The trade fair is a huge draw for me; something less of a draw for the rest of my (not interested in horses) family.

Blugal
Jul. 29, 2011, 10:22 AM
If you don't bring appropriate footwear, you can pick up some wellies for about 15 pounds at the trade fair when you're there. Fashion wellies will run you closer to 40 pounds.

Janet
Aug. 4, 2011, 01:00 PM
I am going too.

I got a room on the north side of Peterborough, so I am taking the train to Peterborough, and picking up a car there. It is a "mini" car (I thnk a little bit bigger than a "Smartcar"), and I figured that would be fun for driving around the area, but not much fun on the motorway from London.

I have rarely had a problem with driving on the "other" side of the road. Especially when there is traffic. The problems come when you are driving all by yourself down a narrow road, and someone approaches from the other direction.

Scanning pictures of the house my grandmother grew up in, in hopes I can find it.

FairWeather
Aug. 4, 2011, 01:34 PM
Dubarry's will appear downright cheap when you run across the likes of these:
http://www.magellanandmulloy.com/

We were lucky, it only rained half a day when we were there, so any footwear was appropriate. That said, it was rare that it didn't rain. I'd definitely invest in some waterproof coats and shoes, multiples if you can swing it!

snoopy
Aug. 4, 2011, 01:47 PM
I think in the case, the appropriate opposite for "right" is "left." :lol:

Thank you....it is not the wrong side of the rode. Actually 74 countries drive on the left side of the road.

Someone posted something about the shopping at Badminton. Actually it is better at Burghley as it is the last major event of the season.....which means you can haggle and get great deals as the vendours want to get rid of stock. Blenheim does not have near as nice shopping.

equestrianerd
Aug. 4, 2011, 05:33 PM
I've booked my tickets for Friday and Saturday, and a hotel in Peterborough. :) My SO has agreed to come for XC on Saturday, too, which will be his first "real" introduction to horse/eventing craziness. (Other than watching bits of Badminton/Rolex with me on TV.)

Really looking forward to it. :D Will need to restrict my spending, though...luckily there's nothing I really "need", since I'm horseless right now.

Clear Blue
Aug. 4, 2011, 06:56 PM
For those who are travelling from the US to the Uk - where is the best place (rate) to change money? I was thinking the airport - but which one?

Another question - does anyone take travellers checks?

Guin
Aug. 4, 2011, 07:05 PM
For those who are travelling from the US to the Uk - where is the best place (rate) to change money? I was thinking the airport - but which one?

No one takes travelers' checks anywhere. The best thing to do is use your ATM card once you get there. Check with your US bank to find out if they have a reciprocal agreement with any British bank so you won't need to pay fees. Also, when you get to Heathrow, buy a Travelex card. You can load them with pounds and then Travelex will buy back anything you have leftover at the end. See http://www.travelex.co.uk/uk/

Lisa Preston
Aug. 4, 2011, 07:42 PM
Y'all going to Burghley are going to have a ball. If'n ya rent a car, and you're used to North American driving- rent an automatic. I rented a stick and it was an extra weird to have to shift left-handed while driving on the left. Just weird. Kept whacking my right hand on the door everytime my feet automatically did the gas/clutch ad my right hand wanted the stick shift.
I bought way too much stuff, including books, which were soooooo heavy.

Clear Blue
Aug. 4, 2011, 08:48 PM
Thank you Guin!

One more question - mobile phone service - who is better - AT&T or Verizon?

FairWeather
Aug. 4, 2011, 10:05 PM
I bought a phone when I got there, and am going to bring it back with me :)
You need a global phone for it to work overseas.

snoopy
Aug. 5, 2011, 01:56 AM
Thank you Guin!

One more question - mobile phone service - who is better - AT&T or Verizon?

I am under the impression the verizon phones do not work over seas.

FairWeather
Aug. 5, 2011, 08:15 AM
RE: automatic cars, they were significantly more expensive. I thought shifting with the left hand made it much easier, personally :)

AEM74
Aug. 5, 2011, 12:34 PM

Perhaps that's changed b/c I just got the new Motorola Droid 3 (pretty sweet phone, btw) through Verizon and it does have global capabilities.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=5676&deviceCategoryId=1

Janet
Aug. 5, 2011, 03:41 PM

Perhaps that's changed b/c I just got the new Motorola Droid 3 (pretty sweet phone, btw) through Verizon and it does have global capabilities.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=5676&deviceCategoryId=1

I guess it depends on what you mean by "global capabilities".

For VOICE service, Verizon (and Sprint) use CDMA. Overseas, CDMA is used in a couple of other countries (Israel being the one that comes to mind, and maybe S Korea, I'd have to check). But there is no CDMA that I know of in the UK

For VOICE service, ATT (and T-Mobile) use GSM, which is what is used in the UK. (Though it is a different frequency, so check that your phone supports that.)

GSM and CDMA are completely different, different frequencies, different signalling mesages.

On the other hand, for DATA services, they are all (Verizon, Sprint, ATT, T-Mobile) converging toward IMS, 3GPP, LTE, whatever you want to call it.

I think it is likely that your Droid supports "Global DATA Services", so you can get on the net, etc. in the UK, but not voice in the UK.

It is POSSIBLE that your Droid has "dual mode" voice service (e.g., both CDMA and GSM in the same box), but I wouldn't count on it just from the marketing phrase "Global capabilities".

Ask Verizon DIRECTLY if it will support GSM voice in the UK.

(BTW, this is what I work on for a living.)

I will be taking both T-Mobile and Verizon test phones (though not Droids)with me.

Janet
Aug. 5, 2011, 03:47 PM

Generally speaking, you get the best rate by using your ATM or Debit card in an ATM (aka Cash Point). Even if you have to pay a 3% Overseas surcharge, you usually get a better rate than exchanging actual cash.

Haven't used travellers checks in at least a decade.

Clear Blue
Aug. 5, 2011, 06:10 PM
Ok - so I want to know why my Blackberry Bold works better in Germany than at home in the US :).

Will stop at the Verizon store tomorrow to ask specifically @ service in the UK.

My Verizon BB Bold has been such a disaster (on third one) I am thinking of switching phones/providers.

Thanks for all the great info!

Laurie

clm08
Aug. 16, 2011, 10:11 AM
Burghley experts, what is your advice? I hear that traffic on XC day is horrendous. We are staying in Peterborough and renting a car. Is it better to take the train to Stamford and walk to Burghley or drive?

FairWeather
Aug. 16, 2011, 10:25 AM
Clm, it was not horrendous from what I remember. Granted, we hung around a bit directly after XC, but I don't recall sitting for more than 10 or so minutes to get out.

Backstage
Aug. 16, 2011, 10:36 AM
Clm, it was not horrendous from what I remember. Granted, we hung around a bit directly after XC, but I don't recall sitting for more than 10 or so minutes to get out.

Ditto. My memory doesn't have any vivid recollections of dealing with horrendous traffic, so I can't get specific but I'll be driving this year without a doubt. I can, however, recall instances of being in traffic forever at the KHP on XC morning (or getting out of the KHP after the Freestyle at WEG!!!!) so I suspect I would remember if it had been horrible.

clm08
Aug. 16, 2011, 11:08 AM
Thanks, this helps!

snoopy
Aug. 16, 2011, 11:27 AM
Since you are staying so close to the event, why not drive but leave a bit earlier in the AM...have some breakie and stay a bit later and do some shopping. Traffic need not be bad if one does not travel at peak arrival or departure times.

clm08
Aug. 16, 2011, 11:32 AM
Yes, I will plan on getting there earlier and leaving later. When I go to Rolex I can be at the Head of the Lake by 7am and have front seats, even if that means waiting until 10 to see the first horse on course! I just didn't know how bad it could get at Burghley, knowing there are a lot more people there than at Rolex. I guess people driving sensible small cars instead of the big trucks you see here helps the traffic flow faster??;)

FairWeather
Aug. 16, 2011, 11:38 AM
Well, plan on getting there super early if a close seat is what you are after. You've never seen such crowds! I couldn't get within 50 people of the startbox two years ago, it was SUPER cool!

equestrianerd
Aug. 16, 2011, 02:08 PM
Burghley experts, what is your advice? I hear that traffic on XC day is horrendous. We are staying in Peterborough and renting a car. Is it better to take the train to Stamford and walk to Burghley or drive?

We're also staying in Peterborough, but not renting a car. I'm still considering a taxi from Peterborough, but will probably end up doing the train/walk, unless the weather's insane or we're completely wiped at the end of XC day.

riderboy
Aug. 16, 2011, 08:15 PM
Hey LAZ! Could you pick up a couple of Burghley caps, t-shirts and whatever sort of cool vests they have for a fellow Hoosier and his wife?????? Just kidding! Haha, I would not do that to anyone, horrific pain in the arse as they say "over there". You guys have a blast and give us full reports when you get back.

patricia.dasilva
Aug. 16, 2011, 09:08 PM
I just saw this thread & we wrote an article full of Burghley tips for first timers on HJU a few weeks ago: article here (http://horsejunkiesunited.com/2011/08/one-month-to-burghley-horse-trials/)

I went in 2009, stayed in Peterborough & did the train thing. On Saturday, you'll definitely get to the event faster by walking from the train station than by car. But keep in mind that there is no train service on Sunday morning - so you have to plan ahead.

WW_Queen
Aug. 17, 2011, 03:02 PM
We're also staying in Peterborough, but not renting a car. I'm still considering a taxi from Peterborough, but will probably end up doing the train/walk, unless the weather's insane or we're completely wiped at the end of XC day.

We are doing the same thing, staying in Peterborough and taking the train. I didn't think of getting a taxi... not a bad idea!

How long (approx.) is the walk? Weather-depending... might be good on XC day.

Janet
Aug. 17, 2011, 06:57 PM
I staying on the north side of Peterborough, and am renting a "minicar", but I might take the train on XC day.

The web site says it is a 20 - 30 minute walk from the Stamford station.

patricia.dasilva
Aug. 17, 2011, 07:29 PM
I staying on the north side of Peterborough, and am renting a "minicar", but I might take the train on XC day.

The web site says it is a 20 - 30 minute walk from the Stamford station.

The walk from the station is a good 20 minutes. The town is lovely, so it's a nice walk. There are taxis easily available from the station & you can always find someone to share them with (everyone is going to Burghley!).

But I couldn't find any on Saturday, so I walked... I was glad I did, because the cars were all stuck in a massive traffic jam and I got there much faster on foot.

So unless you have a ton of stuff to bring or have little kids in strollers etc... taking the train/walking on XC day is the best option.

equestrianerd
Aug. 19, 2011, 07:40 AM
How long (approx.) is the walk? Weather-depending... might be good on XC day.

Google maps claims it's 1.2 miles. :) So definitely not bad in good weather, if it's pouring a taxi will look quite tempting!

Napoles
Aug. 19, 2011, 07:57 AM
Dammit! Had great plans to go to both Badminton and Burghley this year, but a friend's wedding on Burghley weekend have put paid to the second part of that plan. :(
Oh well....

Enjoy anyone who's going! It's years since I've been to Burghley.

LAZ
Aug. 19, 2011, 10:12 AM
Hey LAZ! Could you pick up a couple of Burghley caps, t-shirts and whatever sort of cool vests they have for a fellow Hoosier and his wife?????? Just kidding! Haha, I would not do that to anyone, horrific pain in the arse as they say "over there". You guys have a blast and give us full reports when you get back.

If I were to get all the t-shirts & hats people have asked for I betcha I could open a store when I get home!

I am scheming on how to go with an empty bag so I can bring home any treasures I find--we're going up to York first and IIRC the Shambles had some very cool shopping, too, and the shopping list at Burghley is staggering!

Robby Johnson
Aug. 19, 2011, 12:37 PM
Google maps claims it's 1.2 miles. :) So definitely not bad in good weather, if it's pouring a taxi will look quite tempting!

This is my recollection too. I think. I took a shuttle, maybe, from the Stamford Station on Sunday to the train in Peterborough, then to London where I took the Tube to the Gatwick Express. I should mention I also had all of my luggage and had been drinking Pimm's Cups and pints with Fairweather all day. But, I believe the train station is an easy walk in any conditions and certainly no farther than what you'll be walking around the course. It's glorious, that's all I can say about it - wish I were returning this year!

bigbaytb
Aug. 19, 2011, 01:57 PM
I am scheming on how to go with an empty bag so I can bring home any treasures I find--we're going up to York first and IIRC the Shambles had some very cool shopping, too, and the shopping list at Burghley is staggering!

Here is what I have done on my trips: sometimes I pack a soft duffle bag in my suitcase and during the trip, pack it with dirty clothing/shoes, etc and pack the new items in my suitcase.

..or do what our friend Jacque will do. She brings clothing that she is "done" with ..and leaves those clothing/shoes behind while new stuff goes in the suitcase.

I will also pack an expandable suitcase, but don't expand it until I start buying new stuff.

I also have been known to take "nesting suitcases" and acutally pack a smaller suitcase into the bigger one for the trip out. (but that worked when bigger suitcases were ok to bring).

Now,I usually take smaller suitcases with me anyway (carry-on type) so I just pack 2 lightly and then there is plenty room for shopping..

or just ship it back home....

FairWeather
Aug. 19, 2011, 02:25 PM
I'll be in Peterborough and will be driving--I'll be happy to give a lift if anybody is local and it works out, at least in the AM's. The PM's my schedule will be wonky though.

WW_Queen
Aug. 19, 2011, 05:30 PM
This is great, so many helpful tips from people!

Where is everyone staying? We have a room reserved at the Park Inn (Radisson) and the Queensgate Hotel. Anybody have any first-hand experience in either?

When I was at Rolex this year, my equine travel partner (my Mom ha ha) and I were eating dinner at the Marriott where we were staying. Within an hour, KOC, Mark Todd, William F-P (were the riders I recognized immediately), eating dinner and having drinks. Met Jessica Hampf's family and had a great conversation with Remington's owners, a lovely couple with some great stories about the horse and how they chose Boyd to ride.

Therefore, I feel like staying at a well-known American chain close to the venue may draw a similar crowd (or at least I'm hoping lol).

Janet
Aug. 19, 2011, 05:57 PM
I am staying at a tiny hotel (11 rooms, I think) on the north side of Peterborough called Arman Lodge House. But I would be glad to meet with others for dinner or whatever.

I arrive on Tuesday, leave for London (by train from Peterborough) immediately after show jumping on Sunday, and fly back on Monday.

FairWeather
Aug. 19, 2011, 06:06 PM
I stayed in the Park Inn and it was very clean, comfortable, an easy walk to the train, the grocery and some decent pubs. No experience with the queensgate unfortunately.

Carol Ames
Aug. 19, 2011, 10:51 PM
y 2993http://burghley.tv/bestofburghley/?vid=2006

The greats of ****star eventing, including Bruce, David onTigger Too; Pippa on Primmores' Pride, John Williams, Heidi White,Stephen Bradley, Zara, Andrew N, Leslie Law, Blythe Tait, Bettina Hoy, on another gray!

Carol Ames
Aug. 19, 2011, 10:54 PM
Good for you :yes:Janet! Have a wonderful time!:cool:;);););)

Clear Blue
Aug. 20, 2011, 08:26 AM
How early is early enough to get there on saturday to avoid gridlock?

Website says cross country starts at 11AM.

Doodlebug1
Aug. 20, 2011, 03:42 PM
Whoever asked about clothes? Prepare for everything! Sturdy walking shoes, walking trousers - ie shower proof and quick drying; and layers for your top (at least one waterproof!) would be your best bet. As someone said you can buy wellingtons pretty cheaply.

I have to say, we're due some good weather, it's been a crap summer so far (pro is plenty of grass and soft ground for the horses), so you could be lucky, on the other hand, this rubbish weather may be here to stay :( .

Long range forecast says 'unsettled': http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ee/ee_forecast_weather.html.

Whoever kindly pointed out to me that Americans are used to driving on the 'wrong' side of the road, really? I had no idea; what with being half american... My point was, it'd be pretty hard to go on the wrong side when you're following a massive queue. I would absolutely NOT take a taxi from Peterborough, taxi's will charge for the time and the traffic generally spends about the last six miles moving at a steady 10 mph. Taxis here (and gas) are very expensive so either drive yourself or take the train. If the weather is changeable or you want to shop a car is your best bet.

sumatra
Aug. 20, 2011, 09:56 PM
And FYI, if you are flying to Heathrow, it is cheaper to rent a car in Slough (8 miles from the airport) than at LHR. Like by 200 pounds for the week. My daughter and I are going over for Burghley, I haven't been there since 74, so looking forward to it!

FairWeather
Aug. 21, 2011, 08:07 AM
My car was 150$ for six days. Weird!

So, I just realized I have a full set of members tickets that I don't need. If anybody is looking for tickets please let me know. They include great parking passes (you skip all the messy traffic on xc day!), admittance all four days and dressage tickets both days. I won't mention my sobbing disappointment that on mr. Robby Johnson will not be joining me this year. Wahhhhhhhhhh!! I will sell them at a discount and will be there on Wednesday.

Backstage
Aug. 21, 2011, 09:32 AM

So, I just realized I have a full set of members tickets that I don't need. If anybody is looking for tickets please let me know. They include great parking passes (you skip all the messy traffic on xc day!), admittance all four days and dressage tickets both days. I won't mention my sobbing disappointment that on mr. Robby Johnson will not be joining me this year. Wahhhhhhhhhh!! I will sell them at a discount and will be there on Wednesday.

Do you mind sharing through what company? I found an ok deal but not that good! Though I went with an automatic - wasn't sure how different the standard set up would feel - so that might be the difference.

There are so many coth'ers going, we practically need a get-together.

FairWeather
Aug. 21, 2011, 09:57 AM
I went through my company's travel dealie, but the automatics are significantly more expensive.

Robby Johnson
Aug. 22, 2011, 12:01 PM

Each day it looms nearer makes me sob even more too. Burghley. Our Burghley. WAILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN NGGGGGGGGGGGG!

clm08
Aug. 22, 2011, 02:33 PM
Do you mind sharing through what company? I found an ok deal but not that good! Though I went with an automatic - wasn't sure how different the standard set up would feel - so that might be the difference.

There are so many coth'ers going, we practically need a get-together.

I rented mine at Avis in Peterborough, it was $120 for 4 days but it is also a manual, a lot cheaper than automatic ones. I also booked it a couple of months ago, and it seems their rate has already gone up since then.

FairWeather
Aug. 22, 2011, 02:44 PM
Each day it looms nearer makes me sob even more too. Burghley. Our Burghley. WAILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN NGGGGGGGGGGGG!

It's totally not even too late, and really, stimulating the economy with a credit card airline purchase is the responsible thing to do in this day and age.

it's our shire. (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2667/3947583388_59a98feb5e_z.jpg)

Janet
Aug. 22, 2011, 04:30 PM
I rented mine (through Travelocity) from Avis. $218 for a full week.

Smallest size car ("minicar"), manual transmission.

There were other options on Travelocity that were even cheaper, but Avis is closest to the Peterborough station.

I rented mine at Avis in Peterborough, it was $120 for 4 days but it is also a manual, a lot cheaper than automatic ones. I also booked it a couple of months ago, and it seems their rate has already gone up since then.

FairWeather
Aug. 29, 2011, 10:42 PM
I'm all packed, weather is checked (doh, rain predicted on Saturday!) http://www.weather.com/weather/5-day/UKXX1199

Anybody else going early for the jog?

sumatra
Aug. 29, 2011, 10:54 PM
Yes! Wil be there, prepared for any weather...

Carol Ames
Aug. 29, 2011, 11:04 PM
What's up? You know we expect to have a blog from you, don't you:lol:?

snoopy
Aug. 30, 2011, 05:30 AM
Perfect weather forecast for Burghley. Partly sunny and 68 on thursday, and 72 on friday. 70 and sunny on saturday. Of course this could all change as a few days ago the weather looked awful for saturday.

FairWeather
Aug. 30, 2011, 07:06 AM
I'll be blogging and putting up photos each day :)

WW_Queen
Aug. 30, 2011, 10:52 AM
I may be blogging, depending on the internet connection at my hotel. :D

We are now staying at the Bull Inn in Peterborough. I am glad it is close to the train station but not exactly sure how we will get there Sunday. :lol: Taxi I suppose. :p

Flying out tonight, getting some last minute packing and stuff done. (Need to drop a week's worth of supplements off at the barn and schedule a vet appt. for my persistently lame horse. SIGH.)

FYI there is a Burghley app for your iPhone/iPod/iPad if anyone wants to download it.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/burghley-horse-trials/id456752666?Is=1&mt=8

So excited to be going! Will get the camera all charged up today. :)

FairWeather
Aug. 30, 2011, 01:47 PM
WW, I will be staying at the Bull also, and would be happy to give you a lift. email me if you'd like.

Wednesday dinner anybody?

Janet
Aug. 30, 2011, 05:35 PM
Flew over last night, arrived Tuesday morning. Took tube to Kings Cross, train to Peterborough, picked up rental car behind the station.

Drove around Rutland. Found my ggg grandparents gravestone in S Luffenham -I knew they LIVED in S Luffenham, but never expected to find a legible gravestone. Also had a very good steak and kidney pie, with apple pie for dessert in the pub in S Lufenham. Personally, I think British aple pies (in general as well as this specific one) are MUCH better becuase thay have special kinds of "cooking apples" that don't exist in the states.

Settled into my hotel, the Arman Lodge House. It is basicaly two (largish) semi-detachd houses combined, and turned into guest rooms.

It is just off the Lincoln Road, very near where the A15 meets the A47. I can give someone a ride to the train station on Sunday if needed. Can also meet people in the center of Peterborough.

Janet
Aug. 30, 2011, 05:37 PM
I am interesed in Wednesday dinner.

Where? What time? I could meet you at the Bull.

Janet

Backstage
Aug. 30, 2011, 05:45 PM
I finally bought the camera an expensive rain suit...now I feel it's sure to be all clear skies xc day just to make that an unnecessary purchase!

retreadeventer
Aug. 30, 2011, 05:51 PM
Oh Janet please take lots and lots of pictures and we and I'll plan to see you and them at the Area II annual meeting this winter! :) please please thanks thanks!!!!
LAZ did you make it?

WW_Queen
Aug. 30, 2011, 05:53 PM
A Wednesday dinner? Sounds fun!

Janet
Aug. 30, 2011, 05:59 PM
I will take lots of pictures. Whether they are any good or not is a different issue!

LAZ
Aug. 31, 2011, 03:31 AM
Headed off to Burghley house and the jogs today--very excited!

We are in Peterborough as well--would be interested in dinner. Walked into town last evening, know where the train/shopping/cathedral are. Other than that would take some figuring.

Backstage
Aug. 31, 2011, 07:31 AM
I might be up for dinner as well, depends how quickly I get all the jog pics edited and uploaded!

At Burghley now, and the weather is super!

WW_Queen
Aug. 31, 2011, 10:21 AM
Just checked into the hotel, slightly jet-lagged but okay. I think we've missed the jog but at least we made it in one piece.

Glad to be here!

Janet
Aug. 31, 2011, 02:11 PM
Any decisions on where/when to meet?

I am going to be leaving my computer shortly. If we are going to get together please call or text (+1) xxx xxx 7459.

Thanks

Carol Ames
Aug. 31, 2011, 10:03 PM
The first **** atBurghley? He must be super brave:yes: and cope:cool:y; I'm sure he and zSharonwill be very impressive!
We are hoping that our horse Reggie (Rafferty's Rules) will be doing his first CCI**** there with the wonderful Sharon White (http://www.lastfrontierfarm.com) if the equine gods are good to us... My husband, Dale, and I are planning to go so please look us up there! Pics of Reg 'cause he so cute, and I fully admit to being a biased, obnoxious mother....:yes:

At least, after this, he will never be "overfaced " in Area 2:lol:

Carol Ames
Aug. 31, 2011, 10:06 PM
Lift a glass for me, please!:cool:

tlw
Sep. 1, 2011, 07:51 AM
Sorry if I missed this but for those of you blogging, where can I find them? Thanks for helping those of us not there to live vicariously through your experiences.

RacetrackReject
Sep. 1, 2011, 11:53 AM
Sorry if I missed this but for those of you blogging, where can I find them? Thanks for helping those of us not there to live vicariously through your experiences.

Fairweather is blogging for COTH, so it's here on the website.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/white-pants-big-withers-and-thoroughbreds-are-all-rage-burghley

Janet
Sep. 1, 2011, 06:51 PM
Yesterday I missed the jog because I was chatting with my mother's cousins in Stamford. But I had a nice dinner with some fellow COTHers.
Everybody thinks I have an American Accent, but I am startting to get some of my British usage back (bill instead of check, pronouncing the T in fillet, cash point instead of ATM, not saying you're welcome, and so on.

Today I spent all day in Burghley Park. I walked about half the course (from the trout hachery to the lake crossing).

I took pictures of the house where my grandmothe was born (the Dairy Farm) and where she lived growing up (the Maltings). The people living /working there now were very kind about letting me take pictures.

The Trout Hatchery is even more impressive in person that in the pictures. Same with the Dairy Farm complex.

After walking half the course, I went to watch the dresage warmup, and saw Will and Twizle preparing. They were fine except for the left half pass, where the horse suddenly became very uneven. But they kept going and went for the final school in the collecting ring . However, they withdrew shortly before it was their time.

Boyd had a very nice test. The (English) people sitting in front of me had no idea about the fire. Boyd had 3 people "warming him up", Mark Phillips, a woman I assume was Sandy Pfleuger Philips, and Silva. THAT must get confusing.

Praise to Colleen Rutlege for wearing a safety helmet. It was clear in the warmup that the horse wasn't listening too her a well as he should. I thought the test went better than the warmup.

In between, I tried to take in the shopping- there is just too much. I got some warm muck boots,some new pads for my Prussian irons, a replacement Aussie hat, and some good things to eat.

Probably going to go back and buy a nice sweater (jumper here).

Afterwards I went to the supermarket and stocked up on "things you can't get" (or are expensive) in the US.
Blackcurrant jam
Real Marmite (sorry, the stuff hey make in Canada and sell in the US i not quite right)
Rountrees fruit pastilles
Smarties
Reallicorice
Poper tea
Green and Blacks Maya Gold

Backstage
Sep. 2, 2011, 08:41 AM

I'm doing some blogging for www.horsejunkiesunited.com The bulk of the photos will be on Facebook, though. If you look up the Horse Junkies Facebook page, you'll see loads of photos and mid-day updates.

Janet
Sep. 2, 2011, 05:45 PM
Transportation tomorrow(Saturday) should be interesting.

Not only is the A1 closed (and expected to stay closed trough mid day on Saturday), but there are apparently delys on the rail system outside Peterborough as well. I do not know if it will affect the trains from Peterborough to Stamford.

Saw lots of good and bad dressage todayand yesterday. Walked most of the rest of the course. Then went on a partial course walk (started at fence 16) with Hamish Cargill. His overall comment was that the course was big but mostly straighforward.

patricia.dasilva
Sep. 2, 2011, 06:27 PM
Just started uploading the videos from Hamish's course walk. The internet is really, really slow. Maybe because of the accident... will upload the rest tomorrow (fingers crossed), but here are the course walk videos up to Fence 19.

Fences 16 to 19 with Hamish Cargill (http://horsejunkiesunited.com/2011/09/walk-the-burghley-cross-country-course-with-hamish-cargill-fences-16-to-19/)

Fences 10 to 15 with Jessica Phoenix and Kyle Carter (http://horsejunkiesunited.com/2011/09/walk-the-burghley-cross-country-course-with-kyle-carter-and-jessica-phoenix-%E2%80%93-fences-10-to-15/)

Fences 6 to 9 with Boyd Martin (http://horsejunkiesunited.com/2011/09/walk-the-burghley-cross-country-course-with-boyd-martin-%E2%80%93-fences-6-to-9/)

Fences 1 to 5 with Sinead Halpin (http://horsejunkiesunited.com/2011/09/walk-the-burghley-cross-country-course-with-sinead-halpin-fences-1-to-5/)

tlw
Sep. 2, 2011, 09:10 PM
Thanks so much for the course walks with Sinead, Boyd, etc. It is so nice to see things from the rider's perspective. It is also really nice to see the rider's personalities and hear their thoughts. Brilliant job!

patricia.dasilva
Sep. 3, 2011, 05:58 AM
Ok, the last video of fences 25 to 33 is finally up!

Here's the Entire Burghley Cross-Country Course Walk with Sinead, Boyd, Kyle, Jessie and Hamish (http://horsejunkiesunited.com/2011/09/walk-the-entire-burghley-cross-country-course-with-top-riders-presented-by-five-star-tack/)

Weatherford
Sep. 3, 2011, 06:53 AM
GREAT course walks!!!

Frightening course!!! W-FP clean in time, along with Andrew Nicholson. 2 eliminations so far, and 2 withdrawals in the first ten,

But no XC jumping penalties - just time in the 6 who finished.

Unfortunately, not being shown live that I can find :(

retreadeventer
Sep. 3, 2011, 09:23 AM
Yes, I am reading the H & H live blog on EN; checking the Burghley Tv Youtube for any updated postings (Tubber Rebel no. 8 seems to be an upload from earlier, and its a fun watch but of course not live). And I checked here for updated postings and the Burghley thread isn't even at the top of the Event Board! Boo hoo!
http://www.youtube.com/BurghleyTV#p/u
I know LAZ and Janet are probably exhausted but I need them to say something! Who else is there?
(I am using the excuse to house clean this morning to stick close to the computer!)

Janet
Sep. 3, 2011, 04:13 PM
I don't know all of what haqpene, as somtimes I couldn't hear the announcements.

Two Americans in the top 20.

Boyd and Neville Bardos in 11th (no time penalties added to a dressage score of 49.7)

Sinead in 12th (4.8 time penalties added to her dressage score of 46.0, for a total of 50.8).

Two other Amercans in lower positions.

Coleen Rutledge in 40th wirh a dresage score of 63.7 and 9.2 time penalties for a total of 72.9.

Julian Stiller in 51st with 52.0 from dressage, 20 jumping, 14.4 time, total 86.4. I am not sure where the refusal was.

Michael Pollard had a fall, I think at the water. All I can say is that he seemed to "stall out" going through the Dairy Farm complex (up bank bounce).

Of the Canadians,Jessica Phoenix is in 44th (59.5 dressage +16.8 time, total76.3).

Hawley Bennett Awad is in 53rd (58.5 Dr +20 jump at 14 +16.4 time, total 94.9.

KyleCarter was Eliminated for a fall.

As far as I know, no horses or riders were seriously injured.

LAZ
Sep. 3, 2011, 06:43 PM
What an awesome experience this has been so far. I've been to every Rolex since 1980 (and a week at the WEG) and there is just no comparison. Everything here is more (well, maybe except the road signs)--course, crowds, international field, shopping. I've never seen crowds anything like it except at the Indianapolis 500, and these crowds aren't drunk and obnoxious... :D

I only have spotty Internet, but will post pics when I get home, I have some great ones.

Saw Julian's runout--her horse got too close to the first brush in the water & puked over it--there was no way she was going to get the second one so she pulled off & regrouped. It looked like she and her horse were having an argument about who owned the bit coming to the fence. They looked good after that.

Colleen and Shiraz were just great to watch. They skipped around. Saw them at the trout pond & watched the rest of her ride on a big screen (actually watched Julian, Colleen, Jessica P all right there).

Michael and Icarus sailed over the elephant trap and then flat footed the landing after the first brush at discovery valley, but lots of them did--didn't see him anywhere else. I was really sorry to hear it when he fell.

Saw Kyle mounted on Parker walking back to the vet box, so they were both OK after their fall.

Ollie Townsend had a fall that had a long hold--he was back to ride his second horse (who napped like a SOB at the leaf pit) so he must have been OK.

clm08
Sep. 3, 2011, 07:24 PM
I posted some pictures on FB: [https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2400686057751&set=a.2400418851071.137543.1269032601&type=1&theater

This one is of Michael Pollard over the Cottesmore Leap. It was a scary jump, horse looked tired and jumped flat, and practically nose dove into that giant brush!:eek:

There are some of Boyd over the log alternative to the Leaf Pit, Neville looked fantastic, unbelievable horse!

Saw Sinead and Colleen flying over the let up fence on the winners' avenue in great form.

What a great venue, I'm so happy to be here!

Link to XC pics has been fixed.

lep
Sep. 6, 2011, 01:02 PM
Someone posted pics she took somewhere, but I can't find the reference to them in any of the Burghley threads. There were some good ones of the one-stride in the water, and there was a really nice one of Andrew Nicholson on his grey going over the triple brush after the big log down (the alternate route for 4). Can anyone point me to those?

Janet
Sep. 20, 2011, 11:09 PM
I have been going through my pictures, and I can't resist sharing this one - of Mary King approaching the second water.

Where is Mr Thelwell when we need him?

riderboy
Sep. 21, 2011, 08:02 AM
Janet, GREAT photo! I would imagine Mary"s legs had a round trip ticket back to her horse's sides and that it was probably very effective!

Napoles
Sep. 21, 2011, 08:05 AM
Aha hahahaha!!!
Brilliant photo!!

pony grandma
Sep. 21, 2011, 09:47 AM
I hope that the photo finds it's way to Mary. I bet that she would get 'a kick out of it!' :lol:

So what did everyone buy while they were over there?

Janet
Sep. 21, 2011, 10:16 AM
Janet, GREAT photo! I would imagine Mary"s legs had a round trip ticket back to her horse's sides and that it was probably very effective!
Yes, the next frame looked "normal", and they went over the jump quite neatly.

Janet
Sep. 21, 2011, 10:25 AM
So what did everyone buy while they were over there?

At Burghley-

Insulated, pull on, velcro closure, muck boots (for those days you don't need full wellies, but need something a bit more than barn shoes)

Australian leather hat (to replace the one I left on an airplane a couple of years ago)- it came in very useful on Sunday.

Alpaca sweaters (one for me, one for my sister).

Handmade soaps (for my other sister).

A kids tee-shirt with an embroidered tractor (for Kibby's son- Kibby looks after the horses when I am away)

from the supermarket-

A BIG jar of proper Marmite
Blackcurrant jam
PJ Tips and Yorkshire Gold (tea)
Smarties and Fruit Pastiles (candy)

LAZ
Sep. 21, 2011, 10:35 AM
Great pic, Janet! Gotta love those moments.

I've got some pics posted on my FB page--I'll link to some of them.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.111625602647.97376.641567647#!/photo.php?fbid=10150283531172648&set=a.111625602647.97376.641567647&type=1&theater

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.111625602647.97376.641567647#!/photo.php?fbid=10150283693417648&set=a.111625602647.97376.641567647&type=1&theater

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.111625602647.97376.641567647#!/photo.php?fbid=10150283716557648&set=a.111625602647.97376.641567647&type=1&theater

I think you can thumb through the Burghley pics once you're on there, I made them public.

I still have a bunch to download--I got some really nice pics.

I bought a long oiled raincoat, a "proper" tweed hat, a sheepskin half pad, some Burghley gear, some books, and other odds and ends. It was enough that I wasn't sure I was going to be able to shut my suitcase....

Janet
Sep. 21, 2011, 10:50 AM
I've got some pics posted on my FB page--I'll link to some of them.

It wants me to log in. 8-(

LAZ
Sep. 21, 2011, 11:08 AM
OK--try this one...sorry!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150283716557648&l=fe9771dcfe

riderboy
Sep. 21, 2011, 11:14 AM
I can't get in to the last one either LAZ. BTW, you looked pretty good in your Burghley duds at Flying Cross on Sunday. Even the weather then was English.

LAZ
Sep. 21, 2011, 11:14 AM
I'm trying to figure out the picture thing...

How do I make my pictures small enough to post directly on here?

LAZ
Sep. 21, 2011, 11:24 AM
I can't get in to the last one either LAZ. BTW, you looked pretty good in your Burghley duds at Flying Cross on Sunday. Even the weather then was English.

LOL--I have to say I kept thinking it was *Just like Burghley* Sunny and delightful on Saturday, rain on Sunday...other than there weren't 300,000 people wandering around. And the house was slightly different. And all the fences put together probably would have made up half of the wood used at Burghley....

Janet
Sep. 21, 2011, 11:25 AM
OK--try this one...sorry!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150283716557648&l=fe9771dcfe
That worked, thanks.

Janet
Sep. 21, 2011, 11:28 AM
I'm trying to figure out the picture thing...

How do I make my pictures small enough to post directly on here?
You have to compress them. I do it with Microsoft Office Picture Manager, but any photo app should let you do it.

Janet
Sep. 21, 2011, 11:30 AM
LOL--I have to say I kept thinking it was *Just like Burghley* Sunny and delightful on Saturday, rain on Sunday...other than there weren't 300,000 people wandering around. And the house was slightly different. And all the fences put together probably would have made up half of the wood used at Burghley....
As I was walking my course this weekend (Marlborough) I kept reminding myself: "even though it is tiny (Novice) compared to Burghley, you still have to take it seriously".

riderboy
Sep. 21, 2011, 04:28 PM
As I was walking my course this weekend (Marlborough) I kept reminding myself: "even though it is tiny (Novice) compared to Burghley, you still have to take it seriously".

Amen. It's all serious, at all levels. Just ask Denny, he was riding novice when he was injured recently and that man can ride.

equestrianerd
Sep. 23, 2011, 08:46 AM
I picked up a ridiculously expensive (by my cheapskate standards) pair of walking boots. (Technically they have a tiny heel, so I can kind of justify them as being potentially horsey?) They're quite comfortable, even in the breaking-in stage, so here's hoping they last.

At Burghley-
Australian leather hat (to replace the one I left on an airplane a couple of years ago)- it came in very useful on Sunday.

I should have bought one of these! I have no idea where mine went. :(

FairWeather
Sep. 23, 2011, 08:52 AM
I got a 3/4 length tweed coat, a hacking jacket, a tweed hat and a stupidly overpriced Burghley Hoodie. I also too a bunch of pics and put them on facebook under it's own page.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/244990248872707/