PDA

View Full Version : Maryland Equine Dentists??

eckerdcowgirl
Jun. 10, 2011, 03:57 PM
I'm looking for an equine dentist in the Southern Maryland area. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Tom Bloomer
Jun. 11, 2011, 07:02 AM
800-24-FLOAT

Sabovee
Jun. 11, 2011, 07:09 AM
I use and highly recommend David Butts.
Or you can grab a copy of the Equiery, it's usually full of dentists.

Reagan
Jun. 11, 2011, 10:49 AM
We have always used Dave Butts too. I'm not sure if he goes down to southern MD, but would be worth a call!

eckerdcowgirl
Jun. 14, 2011, 11:54 AM
Thank you for the suggestions!

Xctrygirl
Jun. 14, 2011, 02:25 PM
Get Dave Butts.

I used to work for him. Great dentist and all around horseman.

~Emily

buck22
Jun. 14, 2011, 04:50 PM
I've used Krystin Dennis 2x per year for 4 years and I simply could not be happier. http://horsefloss.com/

marta
Jun. 14, 2011, 04:51 PM
horsefloss.com is her website.

we've been using her for 3 years now. we're in NJ. she covers a large geographic area but she's located in MD.

davistina67
Jun. 14, 2011, 10:31 PM
I would personally stay away from the methods done by horsefloss.com. Everyone has there ways but that method is certainly unconventional and seems to just be a fad for now.

FWIW, just something to think about before you have someone using this method work on your horse.

marta
Jun. 15, 2011, 03:41 PM
which methods do you object to? the lack of power tools? the fact that they align the incisors first? what?
please explain.

buck22
Jun. 15, 2011, 04:50 PM
I would personally stay away from the methods done by horsefloss.com. Everyone has there ways but that method is certainly unconventional and seems to just be a fad for now.

FWIW, just something to think about before you have someone using this method work on your horse.

yes please do explain. what exactly about her method are you referencing, and what was your experience with it?

I've used several vets and equine dentists over the years, all hand tools, none power. Other than being slow, careful, thorough, and using a speculum, I've never noticed anything unusual about her work.

Both my vets, one of whom power floats, have had only praise for her work on my horses. My horses adore her too (which is odd for one of them).

very curious to hear your experience.

Darko
Jun. 15, 2011, 07:32 PM
I use Ken Pankow. He's from Virginia but comes to MD for quite a few. Really nice guy and has does really well with horses who normally need sedation.

Lovinglife5757
Jun. 15, 2011, 09:30 PM
I use Ken Pankow. He's from Virginia but comes to MD for quite a few. Really nice guy and has does really well with horses who normally need sedation.

I've been using Ken for almost 10 years on my horses. Love him, and my guys do, too! My "nervous Nellie" has gotten quite relaxed when having his teeth done, and my other guy almost falls asleep. And this is without sedation.

davistina67
Jun. 15, 2011, 09:47 PM
I hate to say a lot about the methods but I will say a few things.

This method is taught by La Flure. By doing the incisors first, you are taking out the biggest part of a horses mouth. The molars! The molars do 99% of the work. Simply put, they are the most important part of your horses mouth. Do people forget that there are horses that have no front teeth that do just fine? That there are those that need incisors pulled because of rare conditions such as hypercementosis that don't miss a beat? To say that they can balance your horses mouth and make your horses stride length longer by doing so is uhmmm, well, you be the judge. I don't buy it. I have seen horses done this way and I personally am not impressed. The poor occlusion, lack of proper bit seats, and hooks that are left in the back are not something that I want on my horse.

From what I have seen, and heard, LaFlure is not a big believer in sedation. Yet, he teaches that the TMJ is a major issue in horses. Is it not understood that one of the reasons that horses are sedated is so that there is much less pressure on the TMJ? I have never been able to figure out that method of thinking.

It is common for these dentists to use scare tactics to get people to use them. Such as ranting about how power tools change the pathology of a horses teeth.

This method is far from mainstream and I don't think it will ever catch on. It may work for some. I am sure it all depends on the experiences you have had in the past with your dentist. Once you find a good dentist, that sedates, uses power tools, and is willing to educate you about the horses mouth before and after their work, there are very few that will go elsewhere for a thing like this.

I tried to keep this post natural as not to offend anyone. There is much more that could be said about this method but I am just saying, educate yourself about different methods and decide. Once you educate yourself, check their work. Then decide.

marta
Jun. 16, 2011, 09:38 AM
i'll second everything buck22 said and leave it at that.

buck22
Jun. 16, 2011, 02:07 PM
sorry I removed my post Marta, on the drive to the barn today I realized I committed two cardinal sins in my post.... one I made an absolute statement which - besides being a silly thing to do in the world of horses - I should know better than to do on CoTH :lol:

the other is I realized I was baited into a discussion which has no bearing on the OT or for the OP :lol:

My stupid iphone wouldn't allow me edit gracefully, so I just deleted so I could get on with my day.

In short, davistina, I find your post confusing and unclear and completely unlike the person I recommended..... but beyond that, it appears as if you don't have first hand experience with a LaFlure dentist on your own horses (apologies if I'm wrong). It seems as if you are regurgitating third party observations and what you've read online. If you are indeed referencing experiences from a real live dentist you watched work in person, then I suspect you came across a "unique" individual and I'm sure you would agree it would be presumptuous to condemn an entire 'method' based on one practitioner.

My dentist is superb in every way possible and a wonderful hand around horses. I do not pass out compliments easily. Her work receives accolades from her peers (one of whom uses power tools and sedates). She uses no hocus pocus and promises no majikal special powers. She uses no scare tactics, and is not against sedation at all, in fact I was going to sedate one of my horses for her first visit with him, but in the end training and her good horsemanship prevailed.

She takes all the time needed to educate the owner before and after, and during. I never feel rushed or hurried, she is careful, thoughtful and takes her time.

My horses have fantastic mastication thanks to her. She got my one gelding to stop dribbling after he had for 6 years of his life prior to me. I had this horse attended to twice by a well known dentist who couldn't do what she was able. Her careful dentistry is an enormous reason why my geriatric is as healthy as he is, missing two teeth (prior to meeting her) and able to eat stemmy hay and have beautiful thoroughly processed manure.

I am not on-board with idea of bit seats at this time in my life, I see no need for power tools if hand tools are just as effective, and while I'm not opposed to sedation I don't feel its a requirement either. I arrived at these conclusions on my own well in advance of ever meeting the dentist I recommend.

Everyone is certainly entitled to an opinion, and it is always wise advice to do one's due diligence before hiring a professional. However, from your post I get the clear feeling you might have a problem with any dentist that doesn't use power tools, sedate, or perform bit seats. While thats your right, I find it regrettable to condemn a different method as being a 'fad' simply because you don't agree with it.

I believe this discussion is no longer productive to the OT or what the OP was interested in, so I'll leave it at this. If you want to continue this, pls pm me.

marta
Jun. 16, 2011, 03:01 PM
well i still wholeheartedly agree :)

and as you've said, in addition to krystin's skill as an equine dentist, it's worth underscoring her gentle approach with the horses. she takes the time and waits for the horse to settle down so that she can work within its comfort zone. and i have seen her work on horses who required sedation so i know for a fact she doesn't object to it and utilizes it in her work when necessary.

davistina67
Jun. 16, 2011, 09:49 PM
Buck22, I understand where you are coming from. I do have first hand experience. Actually from the founder of this method. I think it's best left at that but I think people just need to understand that if you have one of these people work on your horse, it certainly isn't the "accepted" method. At that point, you be the judge.

philosoraptor
Jul. 31, 2011, 12:37 AM
Van's Equine Services
800-24-FLOAT

He seems to know his stuff. And I was really impressed that he charmed the horses into relaxing, so that not a single one of them needed tranq'd.... even the normally goofy horses were quiet!

Trevelyan96
Aug. 1, 2011, 02:33 PM
Tom Crouse, MD Equine Dentistry. He's supposed to come down to So. MD sometime this week to do my guys.

717-352-8584

pinkpony321
Aug. 1, 2011, 03:31 PM
Dennis Lynch has always done my horses. I adore him, and he's even very good with the youngsters who don't love the idea of having some dude's arm up their mouth :)

ReeseTheBeast
Aug. 2, 2011, 07:42 AM
Fernando Martinez, with Wolf Creek Equine (http://wolfcreekequine.com/index.htm) is fantastic.

So is Dr. James Casey (http://www.equinehorsevet.com/jmc-aboutdr.htm)... both have done very, very good work with my horse; who has a pretty complicated set of dental issues.

SWpreciousfew
Aug. 3, 2011, 12:50 PM
We use Paul Drake. He is in Maryland. We love him and the horses love him. Has always done a fantastic job! He can usually schedule you in within a few weeks (at least thats been m experience). His website is www.ahorsesmouth.com :)