View Full Version : What would you do? Horse Shopping and horse injured

Jun. 10, 2011, 03:56 PM
I had flight booked to see a horse, trainer called today and horse came up with Slight sprain of superficial flexor tendon in right forelimb. Not sure how he did it probably pasture as he had a couple days off work while trainer was out of town. Ultrasound shows no tearing, horse is on 10 days stall rest with daily poultice and then will re-ultrasound. They expect he will likely be fine and go back to work, as first day of poultice wrap leg got nice and tight again. I have call into my Vet about it and seller said they will share all info. Question should I totally pass on horse because of this? Or if 2nd ultrasound still shows no tearing and he goes back to work for a couple weeks without issue should I re-book plane and go see him?

His video and description sounds very much what I am looking for. My previous horse did something similar last summer and was great after the stall rest and had no further issues. Just stumped how to precede and would like opinions.

Jun. 10, 2011, 04:12 PM
I wouldn't stop looking and if you have found other horses that meet your criteria, I would go look at them...then if you haven't found a match by the time the other horse is ready to be examined again and passes with flying colors you haven't lost anything!! ;)

Jun. 10, 2011, 04:16 PM
Keep looking, and ask the sellers to let you know when the horse is sound.

You have not even SEEN the horse yet.

If the horse comes sound before you find something you like better, go to look at it.

Jun. 10, 2011, 05:06 PM
I agree to keep looking but keep your eye on this horse. If you havent found anything by the time he is sound again, go see him. I fell in love with a horse 3 years ago. Video was awesome, pictures looked great, and then I drove 5 hours each way to see him and he ended up having a huge conformation flaw that wasnt seen in pictures/videos. So, they arent always what they seem. Dont stop looking and wait till this horse heals, you might miss a better horse.

If he passes the exam/ultrasound, I wouldnt pass on him.

Jun. 10, 2011, 07:16 PM
I wouldn't pass on him because of this. If you've ever owned a horse besides this, I am sure you know these things happen. Like everyone else said, don't pass up looking at other horses, but have them let you know when he is sound again. If you decide you like him enough to have a PPE done, specifically have the area in question/that caused the lameness looked at thoroughly. He might have just strained something, or he might have torn it... no way of really knowing.

Best of luck!

Jun. 15, 2011, 11:32 AM
Thanks for all the good feedback. I talked to my Vet about this and he said even if Ultrasound is clear of tears and horse goes back to work at end of 10 days he thinks there is still a fair amount of risk until horse has been back in regular work for several months. His comment is its very possible the ultrasound could not be looking at true cause of issue as there are soo many other things that could really be wrong in that leg besides the one tendon. The horse is a steal of a price for his quality and training level and someone will still probably scoop him up within the first few weeks he is back to work, but I don't think I should take the risk without more time. No other good leads on horses that meet my wants and are in my price range, but seems wiser to wait until another one comes along. Its hard to pass up on him but I am trying to be smart.

Jun. 15, 2011, 04:41 PM
Its hard to pass up on him but I am trying to be smart.

Be smart and keep looking. You never know what's around the corner. I had an almost identical situation, though I had tried the mare and fell in love, then she hurt herself in paddock the next day:no:....within the week, a got a call from a lady I'd contacted twice in 8 mos. whose horse was way out of my price range...she decided to let him go for less if we clicked, as she was leaving the country. I got the GREATEST horse ever :yes:, and though I loved that mare, I am glad I kept looking. It worked out very much for the best.

Jun. 15, 2011, 10:00 PM
I had a similar experience when looking. A slight twist, the horse was vetted by someone else and did not pass. Seller did ultrasound, MRI, all of which was inconclusive so agreed with shoer that it was bruised soles. Seller called me and asked if I was still interested in the horse. I said sure; after she was in work and remained sound for 6 months. Never heard back from the seller.

Jun. 15, 2011, 10:05 PM
I think that it is always easier to buy a horse than sell one. I also think that there are plenty of fish in the sea, go out and look at them.... If you don't find anything and the horse is back in work and sound then go see him.

Jun. 16, 2011, 11:51 AM
I know how you feel here.

Before I purchased my horse I went to meet her in person, fell in love and learned that she fractured her sesamoid at 6 months and was on stall rest for 4 months right before we went to pick her up.

Love those... "by the way... I thought you should know" 's.

I was really disapointed but she was sound. Had the vet xray the leg and the fracture had healed extremely well and was nearly fully calcified again.

Depending on the age of the horse this could have been a career threatening injury.

I would say... consider the age of the horse, if he is much older than the healing process might be slower and not as thorough.

Wait until he is sound and have it xrayed.

Good luck!